Kevlar Helmet & body armour developed by Pakistan

fieldmarshal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
mysterious if u read the orignal post it says that both the helmet n the vest are level 3 n it has already been thorughly field tested n all is set to go in a major way.
aussie digger i agree with u totally that that the whole army wont be needin the kit n have already posted a reply to that effect , i was just clearin mr browns daubts ;)

A

Aussie Digger

Special forces because of the nature of their duties (and because of the quality of the soldier) are often given the freedom to choose the kit that they will wear (within certain parameters) on most missions. It's been my experience, that Specwarries will rarely ever wear body armour and helmets unless operating in an overt "Green" role as the Australian SASR did in Somalia (as correctly pointed out by GF) or when engaged in CT tasks due to the nature of close quarter combat.

SF rarely wear vests etc in a covert role, as it's rather bulky and restricts your movements to a large degree. Not being detected (and hence being fired at) in the first place is a far better way of avoiding injury than even the best body armour, hence the SF general reluctance to wearing it. Plus it normally weighs a ton and they've got enough to carry already...

mysterious

Thats what's bothering me! How the hell is a Pakistani trooper going to bear the burden of a Level 3 Kevlar in both his Helmet and the Jacket? Level 3 and Level 4 add quite a load to the already over-burdened soldier. And one more thing, I've read a lot about Kevlar helmets and talked to some soldiers and found out that they are mostly good at deflecting a bullet if it hits the helmet in an angle but if the bullet hits up-front, 80% of the time it will go through and blow your brains out! :help

srirangan

Banned Member
How the hell is a Pakistani trooper going to bear the burden of a Level 3 Kevlar in both his Helmet and the Jacket? Level 3 and Level 4 add quite a load to the already over-burdened soldier.
Well the PA hasn't even showed interest in bying these right now, I think you're jumping the gun/

adsH

i Was in Karachi i few days back on a break to see all the Extended family and i must say the “Rangers†Fighting Forces seemed equipped with new full body Armour similar to the American Forces. they were equipped very lavishly they didn't seem like a teer two Fighting force of a Third world country. There uniforms their helmets were all new, infact every thing was new they had proper new transport vehicles i guess communication equipment must be new too. But they did look like a modern front line fighting force. Every one should note here that i usually associate teer one fighting forces to Active Army personnel.

mysterious

Firms make products which they know (through their market research) are going to sell!! No body wants to waste time on making stuff that no one will buy. This firm probably knows that PA is or might be interested in Level 3 Kevlar stuff and so with research and hard work; it came up with the product.

srirangan

Banned Member
Just because the company has done market research, doesn't warrant your worryin about the access weight. You're just rushing into conclusions.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
srirangan said:
gf,
this $$$$$$$ catalog has some pics: http://www.awc.com.pk/BPHelmetJACKET.$$$$$$$

myst,
whatever.

-------------------------
edit:

why does p d f get changed into $$$$$$$
Not sure, might have to ask Web for the answer on how he set the "profanity" filter.

srirangan

Banned Member
P.D.F. could stand for P-akistan Defence Foru-m (sheesh even this wihtout the dashes gets filtered, web has too much free time), a competitor for this website, maybe that's why he set the filter.. :p

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Actually vest only needs to be strong enough to resist fragments from shells and grenades. A reletively small portion of battlefield wounds are cause by bullets while the majority is cause the fragments and debris. I never insert the bullet resistant plate into my own vest because it restricts my movement and worn me down fast, sometimes i just wear a beret in exercise instead of a helmet.

mysterious

Yes Pathfinder, I completely agree with you! I was talking to this Canadian soldier the other day in person and he told me that vest is not much of an issue and you mostly need protection from shrapnels and stuff, but the helmet comes in pretty handy when you're in an extremely hostile situation. Plus, I'll write again what I've written above. He told me that helmets are typicall good for deflecting the bullet if it hits you in a certain angle but if the bullet hits you straight up-front, its gona go through the helmet and blow your brainz out.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There is no helmet on gods green earth which will stop a straight on FMJ.

Thats why soldiers pray, and also why the words "duck" and "incoming" are two commands that will automatically be responded to without question. ;)

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
gf0012-aust said:
There is no helmet on gods green earth which will stop a straight on FMJ.

Thats why soldiers pray, and also why the words "duck" and "incoming" are two commands that will automatically be responded to without question. ;)
There is some helmets out there that can stop a .45 cal and even 5.56 hollow point, these are mostly equipped by CT operators. It's lot heavier than army PASGT ones, so it's mostly worn for short duration. You can see such helmets worn by Alfa team in the moscow theatre siege.

fieldmarshal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
some of u guys here disapoint me
to start air weapons complex (awc) is the RnD branch of the PAF, they have some of the best brains and highly paid ppl workin there, some of my mates are workin there so i know it for a fact now as this is an armed forces run org so nothin n i mean nothin is done without a reason. now the army had asked the awc to come up with this n they did, the kevler is already in service with the diff branches of the PAk armed forces at the moment in limited numbers, but it will grow with time as adsh mentioned n saw, i know rangers have been usin vests for a long time.

n secondly i have had the prevliage to meet us army rangers in kohat in the early days of the afghan war, now u guys say that they dont ware kevlar vests, sorry to diapoint u but it was a part of there kit n i saw it with my own eyes n they with SSG were conductin operations in afghanistan.