Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force Thread

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

Nice profile of the new Japanese multi-mission frigate (30DX?0 from MHI, via the excellent Navy Recognition website.

Also somewhat taken with the Zodiac interceptor, which straps 4 350-horse outboards onto the back of an inflatable. Would certainly speed up transit times to favourite fishing spots!
Yamaha now offers a 450 hp outboard, 5.6 L V-8 but I guess only navies could afford to fuel these beasts.:D

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Nice profile of the new Japanese multi-mission frigate (30DX?0 from MHI, via the excellent Navy Recognition website.
Yep, does look interesting.
Also somewhat taken with the Zodiac interceptor, which straps 4 350-horse outboards onto the back of an inflatable. Would certainly speed up transit times to favourite fishing spots!
Hmm, wouldn't want to pay the fuel bill, but you sure would get around quickly.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is now officially the 30FFM and the first of eight will be commissioned from 2022. They are hoping to get the build cost in an estimated ¥50-58 Billion range and are targeting the export market.

40 deg south

It is now officially the 30FFM and the first of eight will be commissioned from 2022. They are hoping to get the build cost in an estimated ¥50-58 Billion range and are targeting the export market.
Nice-looking ship, and a handy size too. But that price converts to around NZD$700 million, which isn't a bargain-basement price.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice-looking ship, and a handy size too. But that price converts to around NZD$700 million, which isn't a bargain-basement price.
True not a bargain basement vessel but it is competitive on price with with recent Euro options and the vessels proposed for the USN FFG project.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It's just under US$500 million, which is quite reasonable for a ship of its capabilities. That's half the projected price of the US FFX and the Type 26.

Sandhi Yudha

A two months old article, but its interesting to know.

JMSDF commissions new submarine rescue ship
Kosuke Takahashi, Tokyo - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
20 March 2018

The JMSDF commissioned the replacement submarine rescue ship JS Chiyoda on 20 March in Okayama Prefecture. Source: MES
The Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) commissioned the replacement submarine rescue ship JS Chiyoda in a ceremony held on 20 March in Okayama Prefecture in western Japan.

Complete article at JMSDF commissions new submarine rescue ship | Jane's 360

JPY53.4 billion (USD504 million) is quite a lot, but actually every navy with submarines in its fleet should have such submarine resque ship....

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I believe the main reason for creating these huge outboard beasts is due to stupid US emissions/fuel economy rules, inboards and I/O engines have tougher rules to meet but if you hang the same engine off the back of a transom, easier rules apply. It is like cars and trucks in the US, pickups are exempt from the tougher regulations. I am sure Trump sees the logic in this.o_O

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Japan has launched the Oryu, the last Soryu. This latest sub has twice the electrical storage via Li ion batteries. It will be the basis for a new class of 3000 ton subs under development. Wouldn't be a bad idea IMO to develop a larger boat, just in case things go pear shaped with the French-Australian program. Assuming Canada stays in the sub business the Oryu class would be a prime contender if the Japanese can price it competitively.

Japan's silent submarines extend range with new batteries

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
How come? AFAIK, the 12th Souryuu (SS-512) and her successor (SS-513) have already been laid down. Is the article writer misinformed or are my sources just wrong?
It could be that the author is misinformed, or it could be a different interpretation. It is possible that the additional three subs being built or to be built, but to incorporate the lithium batteries might be considered a sub-class as opposed to still being considered part of the Soryu-class. From the FY2016 defence budget, it is clear that Japan aims to increase their total sub fleet to 22 from the then current 16. IIRC this was to be accomplished in part by doing a life extension to some of the Oyashio-class subs in service, as well as continued sub construction.

hauritz

Japan has launched the Oryu, the last Soryu. This latest sub has twice the electrical storage via Li ion batteries. It will be the basis for a new class of 3000 ton subs under development. Wouldn't be a bad idea IMO to develop a larger boat, just in case things go pear shaped with the French-Australian program. Assuming Canada stays in the sub business the Oryu class would be a prime contender if the Japanese can price it competitively.

Japan's silent submarines extend range with new batteries
It may all be irrelevant for Australia now, but had Australia went with the Japanese option it may well have ended up as the first of class of the Soryu's successor. Technically the last of the Soryu's will be laid down either this year or the next and the Japanese must now be looking at what class will follow the Soryu. I suspect it will be an evolution of the Soryu in the same way that the Soryu itself is based on the Oyashio class.

The Oyashio subs are about the same vintage as the Collins so I suspect that they will probably be replaced from the mid 20s.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
How come? AFAIK, the 12th Souryuu (SS-512) and her successor (SS-513) have already been laid down. Is the article writer misinformed or are my sources just wrong?
It could be that the author is misinformed, or it could be a different interpretation.
Correct. Many people who are not native English speakers use "last" where what is actually intended is "latest".

It certainly can cause confusion - I hope my latest meal is not in fact my last meal!

oldsig

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It seems to be almost official that Japan will be seeking the F-35B for their new helicopter destroyers.
Japan looks to add F-35B stealth fighters
The Japanese are putting the finishing touches to its Defence Program outline proposal in which they will be recommending that the F-35B should be sought.
Now we await the howls of "righteous" outrage to emanate from Beijing, as righteous as a dropbear's howls in the deep darkness of the Outback on a cold dark winters night.