Japan, Koreas, China and Taiwan regional issues

swerve

Super Moderator
Kim Jong-Il refused to fly, IIRC. Didn't go anywhere his trains (he had a few) couldn't. Kim Il-Sung also travelled by train, but I'm not sure if he refused to fly. He toured Eastern Europe by train once. Kim Jong-Un's been to Hanoi by train. Supposedly, the Kims travel with three trains. Leading one to ensure the track's safe, middle one luxury (& armoured) accommodation for the divine Kim, & 3rd one for supplies, guards & servants.

Sandhi Yudha

Kim is planning to visit Putin in Russia via his armoured train. I believe Putin also has a special train. I guess both of these wackos have good reasons to avoid air travel.;)
Traveling by train is more comfortable, safer, more environmental friendly and so stylish...
Even the royal family of the Netherlands has an own train.

But yes, it seems that the Great Supreme Leader plans to go to Russia for talks about weapon exports.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Putin have good plane in his inventories, say what you want on IL-96, economically it is not as par with latest Airbus and Boeing. However it is have good reliability track record. While if we see what Kim has on the airliners inventory, Air Koryo is not having state of the art reliable airliner in the inventories.

So media can speculate on his personal aversion on traveling. I do suspect because he also doesn't control a reliable airliner. He definitely do not want to buy something that come from West. So perhaps after he go to Moscow, he also want to procure brand new MC-21.

swerve

Super Moderator
Kim Jong-Il was reported to have a fear of flying. Kim Jong-Un's had 12 years to buy himself a luxury jet if he wanted one. I suspect he doesn't want to use one.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
It could be that, but I do suspect because he knows most likely if he wants to buy good business jets it will come from West. He can buy it from 3rd parties, but his paranoia on West perhaps stop him to do that.

It is all speculation, from his fear on flying, or his paranoia not want to acquainted plane from West.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Both realize they are much more vulnerable in a jet than a train. I suspect this is Kim’s major concern but he may have an actual fear of flying as well. Vlad likely knows VIP jets don’t work well with incoming missiles or surprise packages.;)

Musashi_kenshin

[Taiwan] Defense ministry eyes 1,440 missiles

The Taiwanese Army is to receive 1,240 TOW-2B and 200 Javelin missiles in 2024. The former completes an order of 1,700 from a previous deal, and the latter a shipment of 400 (minor caveat next year's shipment needs to be approved by the legislative, but that's probably not an issue).

Also, the 11 HIMARS ordered previously are set to be delivered next year. The further order of 18 units to replace US howitzers is still on course.

Vivendi

Japan is speeding up Tomahawk purchase. The original schedule had Japan purchasing 400 Block V missiles in January 2026 and 2027, but the new plan will see up to 200 Block IV missiles purchased by January 2025; the remaining missiles will be Block V delivered from 2026. This accelerated schedule is "in light of the increasingly challenging Asian security environment" according to the Japanese Defense minister. This was announced during a meeting with the US Defense Secretary, where they highlighted China’s growing military assertiveness, as well as its bolstered cooperation with Russia.

The Japanese are becoming increasingly concerned by the development in the region, that's for sure.

Japan expedites purchase of Tomahawks as security concerns grow - The Japan Times

Musashi_kenshin

An interesting report, as it has sometimes been said in the past that much of Taiwan's air defences were outdated.

12 MIM-23 Hawk and TK-II missile sites are to be upgraded and turned into sites for TK-III missiles by the end of 2026. The report submitted to the Taiwanese legislative does not appear to say how many TK-III sites there are at the moment.