J-10, not as bad as you think

Salman78

SABRE said:
J-10 will carry SD-10 BVRAAMs (Beyound visiual range air to air missile) these are medium range missiles & according to its chinese developers the initial versions' capability lies with AIM-120B AMRAAM.

SD-10 will also be mounted on FC-1/JF-17s.
I know what J-10 can carry dude . Everyone has seen tons of pics of JF-17 & J-10 carrying 2 SD-10's on its center underwing pylons.

What i wanted to know/findout is if J-10 has an arrangment of under Fuselage pylons for AAM's . for example Rafale, Hornet, Mirage 2000-5 etc

VICTORA1

Hello,

The time is late 60's. Israel is eagerly awaiting delivery of its Mirage aircraft from france, which I believe they had paid for upfront. Suddenly they find out that sanctions have been imposed upon the delivery. No more planes. Israel really wanted the mirage. It didnot go the reverse engineering route from available samples, it looked for other venues, knowing reverse engineering was too damned difficult and results were not the greatest and it consumed too much time.

Switzerland had the rights to manufacture the fighter but were not doing so. They had the blue prints for the mirage stored in a minimum security almost no security storage. Israel found a way to get the blue prints. It took them almost six months for that.The blue prints weighed over ONE TON, almost closer to two tons. It took time to shift the paper without being too obvious.

Same thing with the J 10. The plane obviously is a ditto copy of the lavi and if israel would not have given the design, the only thing that the chinese would have come out would have looked something like a russian fighter rather than an american. Just by having access to an F 16, you can look at its virtues, but making a better copy , chinese don't have that experties.

Oqaab

VICTORA1 said:
Same thing with the J 10. The plane obviously is a ditto copy of the lavi and if israel would not have given the design, the only thing that the chinese would have come out would have looked something like a russian fighter rather than an american. Just by having access to an F 16, you can look at its virtues, but making a better copy , chinese don't have that experties.
I dont think J-10 was a copy of LAVI. LAVI project failed long ago. It was a joint venture between China and Israel but both the countries had different requirements so China decided to work on J-10 and Israel went for LAVI. Still, Chinese J-10 may use Israeli Elta 2035 Radar.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
VICTORA1 said:

Well I believe if China had worked on J-10 with out the understandings of Levi they would have come out with some thing like MiG-29. But calling J-10 American Like would be wrong. J-10 is delta wing, Americans dont fly Delta. Up untill now I think with F-22 which has some delta wing structure but not compeletly.

Levi was delta because of Israeli engineers study on French Dessault Mirge (3/5) Series. As we all know that all Mirages are delta winged aircrafts.

Besides J-10 still lacks that American idea of sophisticated aircraft but it still is a good work. Lets see J-XX.

Oqaab

SABRE said:
Besides J-10 still lacks that American idea of sophisticated aircraft but it still is a good work. Lets see J-XX.
Well, its not that bad. Even the americans consider it as a threat to their Super Hornets. Lets not forget they even blamed China for stealing F-16's tech for J-10.

Salman78

Paxter said:
Where did you get that info? hehehehehe ... you are funny :D
In july 2004, Peruvian air force held its air combat exercise against USNAF.
By all accounts, Mirage 2000's of FAP (Peruvian air Force) showed off their ability to out turn the super hornets in high g turns and won majority of air to air battles.

Do you think J-10's turn performance is inferior to that of Mirage 2000's ? Do you know that J-10 is fitted with AL-31F engines ? Do you know that J-10's will be equipped with SD-10 active radar guided AAM's ?

:)

ROCK45

Question

Salman78
By all accounts, Mirage 2000's of FAP (Peruvian air Force) showed off their ability to out turn the super hornets in high g turns and won majority of air to air battles.
Hi Salman
I would be interested in reading about the Peruvian and the USN. Could you provide a link to that. I'm a fan of the J-10 I just wish more public info was released, thanks

A

Aussie Digger

Do you think J-10's turn performance is inferior to that of Mirage 2000's ? Do you know that J-10 is fitted with AL-31F engines ? Do you know that J-10's will be equipped with SD-10 active radar guided AAM's ?

:)
Obviously AMRAAM wasn't a part of the air exercises then and Super Hornet's weren't carrying JHMCS and AIM-9X either...

On top of this, were the SH's "red air or blue air"?

Were the Peruvians allowed to re-generate "killed aircraft" or not?

Were the Super Hornets flying profiles to mimic typical "threat" aircraft for the Peruvian's or were they flying typical USN profiles and operations-?

There is a famous story about a Super Hornet "killing" an F-22 getting around on the Internet. The very first aircraft to do so in fact. Now I'm a fan of the Super Hornet, no doubt about that, however when one looks at that exercise, the Super Hornet was playing "red air" and was allowed to "regenenerate" in the exercise scenario as a way of boosting the threat the "blue air" had to overcome.

The SH that claimed the "kill" on the F-22 was a regenerated aircraft who broke the exercised rules of engagement in a dangerous manner in order to get it's "kill".

In reality it had already been killed with an AMRAAM shot by the F-22 and therefore only the rules of the particular exercise allowed it to get it's kill.

Reality and exercises as can be seen are vastly different and it's a big call (too big in fact) to claim one aircraft is superior to another based on exercise results...

jaffo4011

Lets summarize all this:

F-22 beats all.

We win. Copyright US of A
very funny......unless of course your opponent is a typhoon!

"There was little surprise that Typhoon, with its world-class agility and high off-bore sight missile capability was able to dominate "Within Visual Range" flight but the aircraft did cause a surprise by getting a radar lock on the F22 at a surprisingly long range. The F-22s cried off, claiming that they were "unstealthed" anyway, although the next day´s scheduled two vs. two BWR engagement was cancelled, and "the USAF decided they didn´t want to play any more ."

Source: "international AIR POWER REVIEW" - year 2006, issue 20, page 45. - ISNB: 1-880588-91-9 (case bound) or ISBN: 1473-9917.

as per aussies caveats though,i wouldnt have any idea of blue/red status of the encounter,or the regeneration issues but it does add a little note of caution and realism to un-informed cries of ''my f22's better than yours....period''this is clearly not the case and you shouldnt always blindly believe the hype(of any manufacturer or govt).the proof is in the pudding.

still this is a debate on the j10 so i digress.

id love to see them invited to red flag this year(LOL)

Last edited:

ROCK45

J-10

Aussie Digger - I agree knowing the rule of the engagement red, blue, etc. is important. Mirage 2000's do well against most aircraft high and fasts too not just Hornets. Let them a make a few turns and that's another story.
I'm a Hornet fan myself.

I can't wait until China lets this aircraft lose in the public one must assume equipped with a AL-31 on a mid size frame that it must be a hot rod. I understand what's on the inside is important not just going fast. I questioned the Chinese radar/system/SD-10 for only one reason. If good or why did Pakistan look around for a radar & missiles for there JF-17? I think China doesn't want to release there good stuff to even Pakistan yet, being that Americans are in there country. I know that doesn't happen nor allowed nobody else sees each other aircraft or equipment etc, just difficult to believe. Pilots talks and so do maintenance personnel I'll leave at that. This is a great platform for China what seems light years ahead of the aircraft produced in the past. I really look forward to learning more about the J-10 and the J-11. To be honest I don't really no much about the J-11.

I like this web sitehttp://www.defencetalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif
Smile

A

Aussie Digger

Aussie Digger - I agree knowing the rule of the engagement red, blue, etc. is important. Mirage 2000's do well against most aircraft high and fasts too not just Hornets. Let them a make a few turns and that's another story.
I'm a Hornet fan myself.

I can't wait until China lets this aircraft lose in the public one must assume equipped with a AL-31 on a mid size frame that it must be a hot rod. I understand what's on the inside is important not just going fast. I questioned the Chinese radar/system/SD-10 for only one reason. If good or why did Pakistan look around for a radar & missiles for there JF-17? I think China doesn't want to release there good stuff to even Pakistan yet, being that Americans are in there country. I know that doesn't happen nor allowed nobody else sees each other aircraft or equipment etc, just difficult to believe. Pilots talks and so do maintenance personnel I'll leave at that. This is a great platform for China what seems light years ahead of the aircraft produced in the past. I really look forward to learning more about the J-10 and the J-11. To be honest I don't really no much about the J-11.

I like this web sitehttp://www.defencetalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif
Smile
Fair enough.

For what it's worth I think the Mirage M2K's are a nice little package too...

Ozzy Blizzard

very funny......unless of course your opponent is a typhoon!

"There was little surprise that Typhoon, with its world-class agility and high off-bore sight missile capability was able to dominate "Within Visual Range" flight but the aircraft did cause a surprise by getting a radar lock on the F22 at a surprisingly long range. The F-22s cried off, claiming that they were "unstealthed" anyway, although the next day´s scheduled two vs. two BWR engagement was cancelled, and "the USAF decided they didn´t want to play any more ."

Source: "international AIR POWER REVIEW" - year 2006, issue 20, page 45. - ISNB: 1-880588-91-9 (case bound) or ISBN: 1473-9917.
C'mon mate! That is a joke! So the poor raptor "didnt want to play anymore"? Sure mate :rolleyes: . What does "supriseingly long range" mean anyway? 20k's? 30ks? 50ks? Any more than that and I guess VLO is useless, those dumb americans huhg wasteing all that money. I wonder what the range was when the F-22A had a fireing soloution on the typhoon? 150k's? Geesh i wonder who would have walked away from that encounter? As for the Typhoon "dominating" the WVR fight, the article says it, "off broadsight missiles".... AIM 9M vs AIM 132. Aerodynamics dont decide dogfights anymore, missiles do, and ASRAAM is a generation better than the '9M. I wonder how tiffie would have faired vs the AIM 9X??? This paragraph has NO bearing on said platforms capabilities WHATSOEVER. The last line pretty clearly incates the intent of the author (i.e. to hype typhoon as much as possible).

as per aussies caveats though,i wouldnt have any idea of blue/red status of the encounter,or the regeneration issues but it does add a little note of caution and realism to un-informed cries of ''my f22's better than yours....period''this is clearly not the case and you shouldnt always blindly believe the hype(of any manufacturer or govt).the proof is in the pudding.
Do you disagree with his contention (however badly put) that there is a more capable air superiority platform operational today? If not than what is? Judgeing from your reply perhaps you think a typhoon? Well if so i will be amused to hear you attempt to back up that claim, epecially if this is you "evidence".

jaffo4011

C'mon mate! That is a joke! So the poor raptor "didnt want to play anymore"? Sure mate :rolleyes: . What does "supriseingly long range" mean anyway? 20k's? 30ks? 50ks? Any more than that and I guess VLO is useless, those dumb americans huhg wasteing all that money. I wonder what the range was when the F-22A had a fireing soloution on the typhoon? 150k's? Geesh i wonder who would have walked away from that encounter? As for the Typhoon "dominating" the WVR fight, the article says it, "off broadsight missiles".... AIM 9M vs AIM 132. Aerodynamics dont decide dogfights anymore, missiles do, and ASRAAM is a generation better than the '9M. I wonder how tiffie would have faired vs the AIM 9X??? This paragraph has NO bearing on said platforms capabilities WHATSOEVER. The last line pretty clearly incates the intent of the author (i.e. to hype typhoon as much as possible).

Do you disagree with his contention (however badly put) that there is a more capable air superiority platform operational today? If not than what is? Judgeing from your reply perhaps you think a typhoon? Well if so i will be amused to hear you attempt to back up that claim, epecially if this is you "evidence".
i was waiting for this ozzy,i didnt think you would be able to resist......

as per my 'badly put'(but correctly spelt) piece,the proof is in the pudding and as,when and if the f22 bests the tiffy in combat (and i include red flag exercises),you will be able to make a similar statement.until then,the f22 can be hyped up by its somewhat blinkered supporters but without actual evidence in the field.

incidentally,if the u.s just wanted a missile carrier and not a more manoueverable aircraft then perhaps then could have gone back to the early f111 fighter development which would be just the job.
in fact the us navy realized that air to air combat in the close in regime is still very much required and necessary in the modern age and invested in the superb f14 tomcat(with the same main systems and ultra long range weaponry developed specifically for the f111)instead which was extraordinarily agile for its size and more than a match for the soviet aircraft of the era.
(presumably the f22 was given the much lauded thrust vectoring to gain a similar advantage or why did they bother if it isnt necessary?)

the fact is ozzy,you are unable to see that the f22 is not all conquering and that its disadvantages could still cause it problems against more agile opponents in the future.
i would ask that you take off your blinkers and swallow your pride on this one.(and stop making excuses!!!!):eek:nfloorl:

MODS;Im aware that this thread has gone off topic somewhat and its partly my fault.im sure ozzy will agree(after his reply!)

back to the j10.....

Last edited:

onslaught

The J-10 had extensive problems with its airframe and engines during its development phase. I think they solved the engine problem, but I don't know how well they fixed the airframe problem. Does anybody have any info on that or is China still being really secretive about the J-10?

DefConGuru

The J-10 had extensive problems with its airframe and engines during its development phase. I think they solved the engine problem, but I don't know how well they fixed the airframe problem. Does anybody have any info on that or is China still being really secretive about the J-10?
Which phase? The trouble you speak of regarding the air fame and engine were well taken care of as a brand new prototype went under development after the first program. The production J-10s with the proper avionics and weapons could take on SU30, F16 and Mig 35, and later on the engines will be replaced by the Chines WS 10A for better capabilities. :finger

onslaught

Which phase? The trouble you speak of regarding the air fame and engine were well taken care of as a brand new prototype went under development after the first program. The production J-10s with the proper avionics and weapons could take on SU30, F16 and Mig 35, and later on the engines will be replaced by the Chines WS 10A for better capabilities. :finger
IIRC, there were some airframe problems when they did some wind tunnel testing. Do you have any sources to support that the J-10 have punch to take on an Su-30 (especially an MKI), or an F-16 (black 50/52/60), or a MiG-35. What excersises have the J-10 flown in and how did it do?

hallo84

IIRC, there were some airframe problems when they did some wind tunnel testing. Do you have any sources to support that the J-10 have punch to take on an Su-30 (especially an MKI), or an F-16 (black 50/52/60), or a MiG-35. What excersises have the J-10 flown in and how did it do?
Look into PLAAF DACT exercises.
1st, 2nd div J11(su-27) vs J10.

J-10 is used a blue flag agressor units and engagements all end in favor of J-10.

Ozzy Blizzard

i was waiting for this ozzy,i didnt think you would be able to resist......
geesh you pommies never quit do you...... Cant wait 'till the Ashes so we can give you boys a right kicking again!:D

as per my 'badly put'(but correctly spelt) piece,the proof is in the pudding and as,when and if the f22 bests the tiffy in combat (and i include red flag exercises),you will be able to make a similar statement.until then,the f22 can be hyped up by its somewhat blinkered supporters but without actual evidence in the field.
First of all when i said padly put i was refereing to the guy you were quoteing.

Second the Tiffie and F22A will never meet in combat, and red flag is hardly a substitute (as has been explained many many times by many many members). Exercises have virtually no bairing on the capability of a platform because they are stacked in one or the other sides favor. They are not designed to demonstrate capability but train pilots. THAT is all. Therefore useing the outcome of a patricular exercise (this one isnt even confirmed) to justify a claim on platform A's capabilities vs platform B's, you will be wasteing your time. So even after they are both at red flag that will reveal nothing about which one is a more capable platform.

Anyway war isnt fought platform vs platform, its systems that count, and what matters in a platform is how its various capabilities fit into and complement the wider system. In this context F-22A provides many capabilities that EF-2000 does not, includeing VLO (the big one), a very capable AESA and LPI.

incidentally,if the u.s just wanted a missile carrier and not a more manoueverable aircraft then perhaps then could have gone back to the early f111 fighter development which would be just the job.
in fact the us navy realized that air to air combat in the close in regime is still very much required and necessary in the modern age and invested in the superb f14 tomcat(with the same main systems and ultra long range weaponry developed specifically for the f111)instead which was extraordinarily agile for its size and more than a match for the soviet aircraft of the era.
(presumably the f22 was given the much lauded thrust vectoring to gain a similar advantage or why did they bother if it isnt necessary?)
Because heaters were not at the same technological level they are now. Anyway maneuverability is usefull, sure, but it wont be the defineing factor in WVR combat. Consider this: The AIM 9X and AIM 132 have 290 degree and 360 degree enguagement envilopes respectively, can pull 50g's+ and have a phocal plane array that according the the manufacturor "can not be defeated by maneuver alone". Considering that, how is a low wing loading or faster turn rate going to counter HOBS heater capability I ask you?????? Let me answer, it WONT. Thats why they didnt bother with thrust vecotring on the F35, its a waste of money in the current missile environment. IRCM is much more usefull than turning ability in WVR. That my freind is a FACT! If it degrades to a gun fight then the Typhoon will probably have the advantage, but not if they are within heater range.

the fact is ozzy,you are unable to see that the f22 is not all conquering and that its disadvantages could still cause it problems against more agile opponents in the future.
i would ask that you take off your blinkers and swallow your pride on this one.(and stop making excuses!!!!):eek:nfloorl:

MODS;Im aware that this thread has gone off topic somewhat and its partly my fault.im sure ozzy will agree(after his reply!)

back to the j10.....
Dont claim to know what i can and cant see mate, i justify my opinions with logical evidence, not just some unconfirmed rumors of exercise results, that still dont acount for when the Typhoon was locked and fired on by the Raptor.

I dont think the Raptor is some unbeatable god, but i do think it is the most capable Air superiority fighter on th plannet, which would make sence considering it is the most expenseive and had the largest R&D budget of any fighter (pending F35). In sertain sircumstances, could a more maneuverable fighter stand its own? Sure, but those sircumstances are very very narrow. BVR not a chance... F22 has a better radar and more comprehenseive VLO than anything flying now (apart from rhino B2 with the APG 79), which means it see's first, shoots first & kills first every time, and that will NOT change untill someone makes a platform with comperable VLO & radar which is unlikely to say the least. Also its kinematical performance is much better than anything else flying which again will give the raptor an advantage in BVR. WVR well, its probably prety even with most other advanced 4.5th gen platforms becasue of comperable HOBS heater capability. An RAAF pilot at red flag last year stated that he could actually see the platform but could not track it with his radar (talk about frustrating). This can be countered to an extent by an IRST, although the Raptors IR supression would help aswell. F-22A is a BVR killer and NOTHING can stand toe to toe with it in this engagement regime, not even the mighty typhoon. WVR well, considering HOBS heaters the effect of VLO and IRCM and raptors raw performance, once F-22A is fitted with AIM 9X and JHMCS, it would be hard to argue realistically that any platform is any better. The only reason it wont perform at the moment is becasue its WVR missile is a generation behind the ASRAAM/AIM 9X. The reason it has not been upgraded to this level is becasue at the moment it doesent need to. It will pretty easilly kill anything opponent in BVR anyway, altthough it may not be allowed to in exersises (the pilots on both sides may not learn much that way).

I know you pommies love your Typhoon. Its a truely beutifull aircraft and a seriosly capable platform. However you have to be reasonable... have a look at the capabilities of the aircraft, without those nationalistic sunglasses. The F-22A is true VLO platform, has superior kinematical perforrmance and a better radar. Considering those things alone it will be a much much better BVR performer. Blind Freddy could see that. It is clearly a more capable air superiority platform, and considering the money put into the project it bloody well should be. Your the one who should be swallowing his pride mate (i have no investment in the platform, I'm an aussie and we didnt build it, i like the F35 better and i'd rather have a model of a Typhoon, no kidding), The typhoon is a great platform and a huge achievement, worthy of the pride you have in it. But dont let that cloud your judgement, It lacks some serious capabilities that only the F22 & F35 will have, & those capabilities will make them more effecteive air superiority fighters. They have either been developed later or with more moey (both on the last count i think) so there is no shame in it. Typhoon is at least a match for any other operational fighter anyware, but 5th gen it aint my friend.

Honestly, I mean really honnestly (without the nationalism) do you think in a no rules fight than a flight of Typhoons would stand a chance of surviveing (let alone defeating) a BVR engagement with a flight of Raptors???

p.s. nice photo's, i've got over 200 typhoon shots myself, i think i've got 2 of those allready.

Last edited: