Is some form of world war still possible in this day and age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sampanviking

Banned Member
I think China has one huge trump card to play in the games of "topple my neighbour", namely large amounts of money.

What happens in Libya will be highly instructive and I take little notice of the current press releases coming from the NTC about priority being given to the most friendly nations.

The message from China is very simple, we have money, we want to do business and we will not seek to remove you from power. I think once fully in power, the NTC will find this very reassuring and quickly forget about gratitude for the NATO airstrikes (I mean how much should somebody be grateful to someone just for doing the right thing and fulfilling their civilised duty right?)

China got 30,000 of its workers out of Libya in just a few days, I bet they can get them back in just as quickly.

STURM

The message from China is very simple, we have money, we want to do business and we will not seek to remove you from power..
I think it's more of ''we will not pressure you on human right''s or ''tie our aid with any pre-conditions'' rather ''than we will not remove you from power''. The Chinese have developed a very realistic and realpolitik approach to securing their energy needs. To reduce its dependency on the Melaka Straits [known as China's ''Melaka Dilemma''], which can easily be denied to Chinese shipping by the U.S. and India in time of war, China as we all know know, is building port facilities in Pakistan, Bangladesh and Myanmmar, so that oil can be moved to southern China via pipelines.

Last edited:

rip

I can understand that from an american perspective, maintain current world order (game rule made by the US) is the only answer to the future.

But, histoy told us that no great power lasts forever, don't you know that ?
I now see the core of the miss understanding between us. You assume that I and my country enjoy the position of currently being the world’s only super power and as a consequence do not want that changed and that it is afraid of other rising powers that could challenge or exceed our place in the world.

It was stupid of me not to see your concerns and I apologies for my stupidity. So differently do our minds work that it never even occurred to me that you think my country enjoys its current position and the tremendous responsibilities and costs that come with it. If so then you are so very wrong. To put it as plainly as I can, this Job really sucks!

The U.S. wants the system it and its allies created after WW II to be maintained or improved upon because we think that it is the only way to ensure the long term survival of the human race for reasons that have already ben stated earlier parts of this thread. The issue is no more complicated than that to us.

The issue of who is or who thinks they are the leader or is the most important player in the system or is the top dog at the moment in the system is far less important to us, in every since of the word. If you think you can maintain or improve the system to ensure the overall peace, security, and continued prosperity of the world the Job is yours and thank you very much and good luck.

Now most people, including most of the people in my own country do not understand the current world system and what it was designed to accomplish but our leaders try most of the time to promote the system created over fifty years ago and they and others sometimes even succeed in improving it. I think that they are just terrible is explaining why they do things the way they do, which seems to be so incomprehensible if you do not understand what the intended goals are but most of the time they follow the overall plain laid out after WW II.

Now I will share with you my personal beliefs that eventually my countries policies are going to fail and there will be a WW III. I have been trying to explain in this thread my counties policies so that they would at least be understood for what they are. I have been around the world a couple of times myself, I personally believe that there is just too many differences, too much disparity among the peoples of the Earth for all of us to come together in a adequately productive way or quickly enough to avoid making the same old mistakes for the same old reasons and ending up in a worldwide conflagration. I hope I am wrong but I am usually right.

Armoredpriapism

I think China has one huge trump card to play in the games of "topple my neighbour", namely large amounts of money.

What happens in Libya will be highly instructive and I take little notice of the current press releases coming from the NTC about priority being given to the most friendly nations.

The message from China is very simple, we have money, we want to do business and we will not seek to remove you from power. I think once fully in power, the NTC will find this very reassuring and quickly forget about gratitude for the NATO airstrikes (I mean how much should somebody be grateful to someone just for doing the right thing and fulfilling their civilised duty right?)

China got 30,000 of its workers out of Libya in just a few days, I bet they can get them back in just as quickly.
If they had to, is it really out of the question that large economies might sanction China for some reason or another? Let's say human rights, let's say bullying a smaller country, etc. People complain about America bullying smaller countries to futher its own ends; is it out of the question that the world might not want a second, less moral one? That potential organic discontent multiplied by sure American lobbying might result in some serious backlash if China were to get too aggressive. That scenario might have some legs as far as a WW3 prelude, though I don't think it's likely. But consider this:Once China gets rich enough to where the world can start buying its cheap stuff from other countries at lower prices, China will stop growing so quickly and its economy and cash reserves will become far less of a deterrent.
Or maybe not... questions, concerns, comments?

tonyget

The U.S. wants the system it and its allies created after WW II to be maintained or improved upon because we think that it is the only way to ensure the long term survival of the human race for reasons that have already ben stated earlier parts of this thread. The issue is no more complicated than that to us.

Exactly, the current system is good because you think so.

What you are forgetting is how did today's world order formed and how did the US assume control.

We did not ask everybody to submit a "better world" design portfolio and after marking chosen American's work. The system is not designed after calculation, it is progressively happened to be that way. Nor did we choose the US to be world leader in election, America become the leader because of own power growth and wiped all resistance force.

See, your problem is that you are reversing the causality, you forget which happened first.

STURM

Nor did we choose the US to be world leader in election, America become the leader because of own power growth and wiped all resistance force.
America became a super power or the world's most dominant power as a result of WW2, which devastated Europe and Asia and played a big part in Britain losing its Empire and becoming a junior partner in the '''western alliance''. In coming years America's dominant position in the Asia Pacific Rim will have to be shared with China, and too a lesser extent India, but for the immediate future America is set to retain its position as the world's superpower. Unlike the Soviet Union which was intent on exporting its ideology, China is merely interested its developing economy and establishing itself as a 'great' power. The good news is that it shares many common security interests with America.

Last edited:

Sampanviking

Banned Member
If they had to, is it really out of the question that large economies might sanction China for some reason or another? Let's say human rights, let's say bullying a smaller country, etc. People complain about America bullying smaller countries to futher its own ends; is it out of the question that the world might not want a second, less moral one? That potential organic discontent multiplied by sure American lobbying might result in some serious backlash if China were to get too aggressive. That scenario might have some legs as far as a WW3 prelude, though I don't think it's likely. But consider this:Once China gets rich enough to where the world can start buying its cheap stuff from other countries at lower prices, China will stop growing so quickly and its economy and cash reserves will become far less of a deterrent.
Or maybe not... questions, concerns, comments?
Unless China suddenly did a total volte face and followed a path of aggressive militarism, I see no impetus for any nation to mount any kind of campaign against China worthy of the name.

The day will surely come when the PRC will no longer be outsource heaven, but that day is still a very very long way off and China still has vast territories and populations to open up and bring online.

Any attempt of ideological boycott would be; for the foreseeable future, doomed to fail as companies want to invest in China and want to buy the products that China makes. They will do whatever has to be done to be able to do so.

A rapidly developing country with a population set to approach 1.5 Billion over the next few decades has a momentum of its own and an internal market which will soon dwarf all others. It is also the engine of growth for entire regions and these too are already an effective hedge against weak demand in the West.

To Rip

Countries which adhere to strict and narrow ideologies and which are unable to learn the lessons of others and unable to recognise and adopt the good ideas of others are at a serious disadvantage to those that can and do.
Pride and Madness often go before a fall and delusions of divinity is a prime symptom of the condition.

rip

Exactly, the current system is good because you think so.

What you are forgetting is how did today's world order formed and how did the US assume control.

We did not ask everybody to submit a "better world" design portfolio and after marking chosen American's work. The system is not designed after calculation, it is progressively happened to be that way. Nor did we choose the US to be world leader in election, America become the leader because of own power growth and wiped all resistance force.

See, your problem is that you are reversing the causality, you forget which happened first.
As to answer you remarks I must wonder exactly who are the “we” you are revering to?

I am over sixty years old and this system of world order is older than I am. We are all born into a world that we did not make and struggle to understand. Sorry if you were not consulted first but then again no one else was ether. If you do not like it as it currently exits, it is perfectly right for you to work to change it, but just complaining about it is immature.

And logically, would anybody propose a system they did not believe in? And would they believe in it if that didn’t think it was good? What system do you propose to replace it and exactly what is there about this new system that makes it better for everybody and which would then make everyone want to adopt it? I would very much like to know

But if you are proposing a return to the historical system were everyone, be they a country, a group, a tribe, in the pursuit of their own completely rational self-interests, witch rationally disregards there effects on eveyone else in the world and will thus result in us collectively making the same old mistakes, in the same old ways, leading to the same old results, then what can that be but a recipe for disaster? Isn’t one definition of insanity, is to do the same things over and over and then expecting a different result?

It can be imperially proven that the human race has dramatically, over the last fifty years, both as a percentage of it total population as well in absolute numbers, are now better fed, better educated, heather, wealthy, and longer lived than ever before in human existence. Not just in the U.S. but in most countries. In the places where things are not unfortunately getting better, it is because of the breakdown of good political order. Could this easily verifiable fact be just a random act of good luck, perhaps a fortuitous accident that has no connection with or response to the world economic and political system we now live under, versus the old system we all once used to live under when life was less appealing?

If the political and economic system has no connection to world progress then the only assumptions for us to make is that our good luck cannot last and any world political or any economic system which we use are not very important. How many people would agree with that last statement?

You are wrong in your assertion that the current political and economic system was not planed and it just mysteriously happened by accident. Do your own research on the founding of the United Nations and other international bodies. It is all easily found in open sources and available to the public if you just look. But of course these institutions have evolved and changed over time as the world has changed. Maybe they have not changed enough but some players will always be ahead of others.

You are, I am afraid, looking at the dynamic of world order as that exclusively of that power projection. But that will not work for any length of time and it never has. The World system as enacted today emphasized the power of cooperation over donation and it can only work if everybody benefits from continues acts of cooperation and not from threat. Sure it has within it elements of punishment but if you want to enjoy the benefits of the world system you need to follow the same rules as everyone else or we cannot play together. The long term bet, is that you will get far more from cooperation than you can ever get by making up your own rules that mainly benefit only you because everyone else will then do the same.

Armoredpriapism

After reading this I realize it's a long post, and there's much in it about the place of the US v China on the global stage. In my opinion it's not a political piece nor a versus piece, but because politics play such an important role in preventing and causing wars politics are addressed in it, though imo those parts sum to a point relevant to this thread. It's an assumption of one country vs another, as the two likely major world players will be these two countries in the near future. I want to point out that I don't say that one country is “better” than another, because I think my opinion of that is irrelevant; what will be relevant will be the opinions of the people who shape policy in the future and those who control or elect them, and the views of those people will be shaped by politics. I think it describes the fundamentals behind the likely mistrust by America of Chinese designs as well as the fear of American designs by the Chinese, and it is a supplemental to my last post and a response (and further explanation) to Sampan.

Unless China suddenly did a total volte face and followed a path of aggressive militarism, I see no impetus for any nation to mount any kind of campaign against China worthy of the name.

The day will surely come when the PRC will no longer be outsource heaven, but that day is still a very very long way off and China still has vast territories and populations to open up and bring online.

Any attempt of ideological boycott would be; for the foreseeable future, doomed to fail as companies want to invest in China and want to buy the products that China makes. They will do whatever has to be done to be able to do so.

A rapidly developing country with a population set to approach 1.5 Billion over the next few decades has a momentum of its own and an internal market which will soon dwarf all others. It is also the engine of growth for entire regions and these too are already an effective hedge against weak demand in the West.

To Rip

Countries which adhere to strict and narrow ideologies and which are unable to learn the lessons of others and unable to recognise and adopt the good ideas of others are at a serious disadvantage to those that can and do.
Pride and Madness often go before a fall and delusions of divinity is a prime symptom of the condition.

I suppose this relates to the possibility of WW3 in the sense that often when a great power falls it falls with a bang. If it does, and even if it dies with a whimper, new great powers often try to carve up the fruits of its empire. However, the assumption that America will "fall" is misguided, imo, because America isn't an empire in the classic sense, and when we use history to predict the future we're judging the inevitability of the American fall by the classical sense. We're also judging the inevitability of the Chinese rise by the rises of previous powers, though I believe doing so does the PRC a favor by omitting the fate of the Soviet Union, the only great communist power of which history gives us an example.
Regardless of whether it should be classified as an empire, America doesn't “rule” with an Iron fist. It's a nation with great posture and influence, and a decade ago it was beloved for its blessings, though it has recently sinned greatly. Those blessings haven't vanished they've only been obscured. Even the war in Iraq, which is the event that turned the world view of America from unquestionably positive to unquestionably negative, is now looked upon by the American people, their intellectual establishment (which writes doctrine as well as history) and their government as a failure from which to learn. So if in 30 years the world has two runaway superpowers with differing ideologies I do think there could be sides taken, and that could spell the beginnings of another cold war.
I think the choice for individual countries, in the event of a cold war between the PRC and the US, will be more greatly colored by ideology than it was during the Cold War. If it is indeed a choice between which country you want to “rule” the world in the way America does now, would you, as the policy maker of a country side with the PRC instead of America?
Consider this. For now, China seems generous and amoral (not to be confused with the word “immoral”) which many countries like, but I very much doubt it will continue to be so as it gets more and more powerful. China has 1+ billion people, each of whom is getting richer (on average not in practice). This means each Chinese will be demanding more and more products, which will mean a need for more and more resources. China will have a need for American-like influence, but on a scale that grows greater with each rise in GDP. In essence, China will need to stop giving and start taking.
On the other hand would be America. With a population less than half a billion, America we be an extremely uncrowded country with great natural resources. Exports will become more relevant to the US economy as the rest of the world gets richer. Which one of these countries will have a greater need for the individual freedoms of people across the world? If China needs the stuff in your ground and America needs the stuff in your pocket, which one do you think would be more aggressive toward you?

America likes to influence governments toward economic freedoms and democratically-aligned systems of government. Though that may seem like it's trying to make the world in its image I think many countries will recognize that America doesn't own freedom and freedom doesn't necessarily look like America. Furthermore, it is a society that has thrived with freedoms and it is certainly a vindicated model and viable option.

How this relates to the thread is that the rise of the rest, as Fareed Zakaria termed the effects of globalization, is in a large part the product of an American effort to effect it. American goods are expensive and the mainland is very far away from just about everywhere, so developing markets in other countries to help them become rich enough to buy American goods is central to American economic policy. An American president traveled to China to normalize relations and began trade with it in the 70s. Some decried America's exploitation of the Chinese to gain access to a cheap source or labor, but look at what China gained from that transfer of wealth. However, a country like China will be so populated and so rich in minerals that it won't need the rest of the world to be as developed as it is in order to prosper – that is, it won't need more people only more resources. This is why in the long run a Chinese superpower is a terrifying prospect to America, one which the US will likely see as a threat not to its status (which is an abstraction) but to the lives, liberties, and pursuit of happiness of its people. It will also be a threat to the legacy America believes it has left for its species. Basically, America is concerned about China because China has so much potential; and America doesn't trust the designs of the party to uphold the values of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness of the individual. This isn't because America is paranoid but because the PRC's party has a very poor track record (extending into today) in these areas. The PRC's party also has little incentive to change these practices.

So will there be tensions between China and the US? Yes. Does one need the other more than it needs security from the others designs? No, and that's why the possibility of a war between them will remain, imo, until one of them falls or they both become so intertwined that their common interests merge. I hope sanity is maintained by ours and future generations and we come together to the point where harming each other is tantamount to harming ourselves, but this thread is about the other option... you know, the fun one with the guns and the tanks and the pew pew=p

Also, I want to point out that, in response to Tony's assertion that the US controls the world, I don't believe it does. It has influence not control, and from a moral perspective I think that's an important distinction.

rip

To Rip

In general, I cannot agree with you more. There are certainly enough examples. The question is how do we correctly choose from the ideas which are available?

If is not enough to just state one’s belief as if it was a fact no matter how many times that you do it. It is not enough to state the sincerity or power of that belief and your willingness to act upon it. In fact it isn’t even enough just to be right. Any belief cannot be given any more credence, than the power and rigorous correctness of the process by which that belief was arrived at. The proposition that belief alone is enough is a kind of magical thinking and is without any reliability.

The reason that my responses are long and detailed is because I want to reveal, at least in part, the processes by which they were arrived at. If the process is flawed then the answer is unreliable. I say unreliable because there are flawed process which will sometimes give you the right answers even though the process itself is flawed, like just flipping a coin to a yes or no question. Just because it worked last time doesn’t mean it will next time.

If you state you opinions with the reasoning process behind it exposed and someone disagrees with you then they must find the flaw in your process. Such is the tested market place of ideas. Ideas which must fight to exist based upon their own merit and not upon the power of belief or the power of those that believe in them.

Your unstated assumption is that I, like my country, are so dogmatic in our beliefs, so arrogant, and so full of ourselves that we cannot change by accepting other people’s ideas nor can we accept valid criticism when it is justly warranted. Though I grant you no one likes to be told that they are wrong especially when they are in fact wrong, self-crissum is rampant in my country and we are often our own worst critic. Just read our own free and uncensored press and you will see for yourself. But if you want to convince me I am in error you must do so by finding the error in my process. If you want me to adopt an idea of your own you must expose the process by which you used to create it so that it can be examined. Everyone has opinions but not everyone can rationally explain or justify their opinions. I may be wrong about many things but I know exactly why I have the opinions which I have. Show me my error by rational argument and I will admit it. Anything that you can do to improve my process will be highly appreciated. But please no magical thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rickyrab

Now I will share with you my personal beliefs that eventually my countries policies are going to fail and there will be a WW III. I have been trying to explain in this thread my counties policies so that they would at least be understood for what they are. I have been around the world a couple of times myself, I personally believe that there is just too many differences, too much disparity among the peoples of the Earth for all of us to come together in a adequately productive way or quickly enough to avoid making the same old mistakes for the same old reasons and ending up in a worldwide conflagration. I hope I am wrong but I am usually right.
It takes more than just national gripes to cause a world war. It also takes alliances. I suspect that, if and when fighting comes, it would be between the following pairs of countries (and any allies):
- China and India (both nuclear powers, very populous, economies on the rise
- USA and China (if they manage to get their economies disentangled from one another, which is hard to do)
- USA and Russia (don't count this pair out. They were Cold War opponents and there are still geopolitical sour grapes dating back to that period.)
- USA/ Israel and some Muslim country (the Arab Spring may wind up creating some new belligerents)
- India and Pakistan. While this would be more of a regional conflict than a global one, it might lead to further nonsense, especially if it a) goes nuclear and wreaks havoac on the environment or b) drags other countries into the fray.
- China and some Southeast Asian country (Taiwan or whomever it's contesting those offshore islands with).
- North and South Korea. (This pair is obvious, fortunately, and so it's hemmed in with talks.)

Can anybody think of any further pairs?

Rickyrab

The possibility of any armed intervention on land in the coming years will be very slim, following the fiascos in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the fact that America's main area of interest now is the Pacific Rim, where emphasis will be placed on naval and air assets.

You can call them fiascoes if you want. However, one can argue that they were successes: they knocked a dictator from power in Iraq, and they knocked the Taliban from power in Afghanistan and ultimately led to the assassination of Osama bin Laden. Thus, they succeeded in what they set out to do. Because the aftermath was long, and because Taliban are still around (but in the backcountry), it has been fashionable to portray those actions as fiascoes.

America should not count out the Mideast. So long as the Mideast has the oil, and so long as America relies on oil, it'll need to pay attention to the Mideast. That being said, the Pacific Ocean is also important.

Armoredpriapism

It takes more than just national gripes to cause a world war. It also takes alliances. I suspect that, if and when fighting comes, it would be between the following pairs of countries (and any allies):
- USA and China (if they manage to get their economies disentangled from one another, which is hard to do)
- USA and Russia (don't count this pair out. They were Cold War opponents and there are still geopolitical sour grapes dating back to that period.)
- USA/ Israel and some Muslim country (the Arab Spring may wind up creating some new belligerents)
- India and Pakistan. While this would be more of a regional conflict than a global one, it might lead to further nonsense, especially if it a) goes nuclear and wreaks havoac on the environment or b) drags other countries into the fray.
- China and some Southeast Asian country (Taiwan or whomever it's contesting those offshore islands with).
- North and South Korea. (This pair is obvious, fortunately, and so it's hemmed in with talks.)

I like your India-Pakistan choice for most likely war that could come close to being called a World War. If only because I believe China would be heavily involved in that war, and if nuclear weapons were used by India or Pakistan winds would carry fallout all over China, which would be a legitimate gripe against the war in general, and if that happened I'd expect an already involved China to get more involved. That would bring your China v India choice into play.
About the US Israel option, though, I do really doubt the US would assist an Israeli invasion of anything. But I could certainly see an Iranian attack on Israel or Egypt, or an Israeli strike on Iranians nuclear sites getting the Americans involved. What's the status of the threats both China and Russia gave to the US about invading Iran?
I think the idea of America vs. Russia is the least likely, imo, simply because they have nothing to fight over that's worth starting a WW. Russia is an exporter now, and were the history between Russia and the US not so bad logic might dictate they be strong partners.
The North-South Korea war is the most likely war on the list, imo, but least likely to bring in many other countries against one another. I think it would be the South losing many lives initially then the North getting ganged up on, and the world would posture over who gets control of the coals of North Korea.
China vs. Southeast Asian countries would be interesting because I would expect heavy and open ANZUS support of the other countries, which could get hairy. China would have to deny the seas from the US Navy, and the US Navy would probably jump at the challenge.

I could (seriously) post you pages about what a war between America, China, and Russia might look like, but it would definitely be fiction ^^
But more importantly, what do you think? :)

The possibility of any armed intervention on land in the coming years will be very slim, following the fiascos in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the fact that America's main area of interest now is the Pacific Rim, where emphasis will be placed on naval and air assets.
I agree that the chance is slim but not with the suggestion that the land arena of war will be disproporionately less in the coming years. The example of Afghanistan and Iraq could also be used to showcase how effective land attacks can still be. The fiascos came after the major military operations and objectives were realized. The actual invasions went historically well for the Americans; what failed was the peace. The US managed to install a government in Afghanistan with only special forces and airpower, some how gaining that much clout over the indiginous forces who actually did the marching.

rip

After reading this I realize it's a long post, and there's much in it about the place of the US v China on the global stage. In my opinion it's not a political piece nor a versus piece, but because politics play such an important role in preventing and causing wars politics are addressed in it, though imo those parts sum to a point relevant to this thread. It's an assumption of one country vs another, as the two likely major world players will be these two countries in the near future. I want to point out that I don't say that one country is “better” than another, because I think my opinion of that is irrelevant; what will be relevant will be the opinions of the people who shape policy in the future and those who control or elect them, and the views of those people will be shaped by politics. I think it describes the fundamentals behind the likely mistrust by America of Chinese designs as well as the fear of American designs by the Chinese, and it is a supplemental to my last post and a response (and further explanation) to Sampan.

I suppose this relates to the possibility of WW3 in the sense that often when a great power falls it falls with a bang. If it does, and even if it dies with a whimper, new great powers often try to carve up the fruits of its empire. However, the assumption that America will "fall" is misguided, imo, because America isn't an empire in the classic sense, and when we use history to predict the future we're judging the inevitability of the American fall by the classical sense. We're also judging the inevitability of the Chinese rise by the rises of previous powers, though I believe doing so does the PRC a favor by omitting the fate of the Soviet Union, the only great communist power of which history gives us an example.
Regardless of whether it should be classified as an empire, America doesn't “rule” with an Iron fist. It's a nation with great posture and influence, and a decade ago it was beloved for its blessings, though it has recently sinned greatly. Those blessings haven't vanished they've only been obscured. Even the war in Iraq, which is the event that turned the world view of America from unquestionably positive to unquestionably negative, is now looked upon by the American people, their intellectual establishment (which writes doctrine as well as history) and their government as a failure from which to learn. So if in 30 years the world has two runaway superpowers with differing ideologies I do think there could be sides taken, and that could spell the beginnings of another cold war.
I think the choice for individual countries, in the event of a cold war between the PRC and the US, will be more greatly colored by ideology than it was during the Cold War. If it is indeed a choice between which country you want to “rule” the world in the way America does now, would you, as the policy maker of a country side with the PRC instead of America?
Consider this. For now, China seems generous and amoral (not to be confused with the word “immoral”) which many countries like, but I very much doubt it will continue to be so as it gets more and more powerful. China has 1+ billion people, each of whom is getting richer (on average not in practice). This means each Chinese will be demanding more and more products, which will mean a need for more and more resources. China will have a need for American-like influence, but on a scale that grows greater with each rise in GDP. In essence, China will need to stop giving and start taking.
On the other hand would be America. With a population less than half a billion, America we be an extremely uncrowded country with great natural resources. Exports will become more relevant to the US economy as the rest of the world gets richer. Which one of these countries will have a greater need for the individual freedoms of people across the world? If China needs the stuff in your ground and America needs the stuff in your pocket, which one do you think would be more aggressive toward you?

America likes to influence governments toward economic freedoms and democratically-aligned systems of government. Though that may seem like it's trying to make the world in its image I think many countries will recognize that America doesn't own freedom and freedom doesn't necessarily look like America. Furthermore, it is a society that has thrived with freedoms and it is certainly a vindicated model and viable option.

How this relates to the thread is that the rise of the rest, as Fareed Zakaria termed the effects of globalization, is in a large part the product of an American effort to effect it. American goods are expensive and the mainland is very far away from just about everywhere, so developing markets in other countries to help them become rich enough to buy American goods is central to American economic policy. An American president traveled to China to normalize relations and began trade with it in the 70s. Some decried America's exploitation of the Chinese to gain access to a cheap source or labor, but look at what China gained from that transfer of wealth. However, a country like China will be so populated and so rich in minerals that it won't need the rest of the world to be as developed as it is in order to prosper – that is, it won't need more people only more resources. This is why in the long run a Chinese superpower is a terrifying prospect to America, one which the US will likely see as a threat not to its status (which is an abstraction) but to the lives, liberties, and pursuit of happiness of its people. It will also be a threat to the legacy America believes it has left for its species. Basically, America is concerned about China because China has so much potential; and America doesn't trust the designs of the party to uphold the values of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness of the individual. This isn't because America is paranoid but because the PRC's party has a very poor track record (extending into today) in these areas. The PRC's party also has little incentive to change these practices.

So will there be tensions between China and the US? Yes. Does one need the other more than it needs security from the others designs? No, and that's why the possibility of a war between them will remain, imo, until one of them falls or they both become so intertwined that their common interests merge. I hope sanity is maintained by ours and future generations and we come together to the point where harming each other is tantamount to harming ourselves, but this thread is about the other option... you know, the fun one with the guns and the tanks and the pew pew=p

Also, I want to point out that, in response to Tony's assertion that the US controls the world, I don't believe it does. It has influence not control, and from a moral perspective I think that's an important distinction.
Your thoughtful post makes many interesting and useful points. I generally agree with most of them including the U.S. invasion of Iraq, which I though was a mistake at the time it happened. As I have often stated, that at this point of time I do not believe that China has made up its mind as to what kind of international citizen it will be. The U.S. policy towards China is a carful one of “wait and see”. I am not in the group that thinks that confrontation between the U. S. and China must happen; in fact over all I am optimistic about it because there are a lot of people on both sides that wants to have successful international relations. I do believe however that there will be a WW III for fundamental reasons of human nature, which has shown that the lessons of the last century that have not been learned by a majority of the human race. reasons that would take too long to explain at this time. But that is a different thread.

Since most people are obsessed with the U.S. verses China story line I will try to quickly cover it so as to put an end to this line of speculation. The U.S. would attack China militarily for only two reasons. One is if it or its allies are attacked by China. A very unlikely story line even if you include all of the issues surrounding Taiwan. The U.S. doses not oppose the unification of Taiwan with main-land China. It only opposes it being done by the use of force!

The second and only more slightly more plausible reason would be if China tried to enforce its ridicules claim that the entire South China Sea is its national waters and in doing so threatens to close off a major international trade rout that has been free for all to use since the beginning of recorded history.

I can see China attacking the U.S. militarily for only two possible reasons both are unlikely. The first would be by coming to the aid of North Korea after North Korea has done something really stupid for which it was getting justly pounded and which could not be forgiven or excused. Even though the theoretical very stupid North Korean action (whatever it was) was not approved of or would have been approved of by China, if it had been consulted in advance. I say this because normally the relationship between a major power and one of its client states requires the client state to seek prior approval of the major power before any provocative action is taken, if it wants to keep the support and protection of the major power. But North Korea’s leadership is plain crazy so we can’t count on that. But even at that, this story line is still an unlikely event.

The second one is the one that I am personally worried about. But first let us review the often stated reasons that the U.S. is supposed to be worried about a rising China; they are usually brought up by others and not by the U.S. They are put forward by people who think they know us better than we know ourselves.

China is a rising power in the world and will supplant it. We are not worried if it happens or not.

China will build a vast military and it will become a threat to the U.S. Again we are not worried. China should have a military capable of defending itself under all circumstances, is also should be able to look after its worldwide interests of which in time it will acquire, and it should take its rightful place in the world equal to its population and economic power. This should be expected as a natural course of events if things go well and not taken as a sign that they have gone bad and trying to stop the natural course of events would only be counterproductive.

The dictatorship of the ruling communist party which is no longer in fact communist with its total monopoly of power and its desire for complete control of the very thoughts of the Chinese people. This is the real problem.

At this point the Chinese people are in general in full support of their current government. It has in fact done a fairly good job in the last twenty-five years. If there were to be a free and fair election held today they would easily win it. But they wouldn’t get the unanimous results they feel that they require and that is what they cannot stand. The American worry is a real one, when you consider the lengths that the Communist party "which is no longer communist", has gone to in the past to keep its complete monopoly of power and its willful disregard for the lives of its own people to secure that its own monopoly of power is not challenged. If the Communist party someday gets itself into trouble with its own people (as all government will do from time to time) , would they be above starting a war and whipping up a war fever within their country to divert the people's anger away from themselves to a convenient purported to be hostel U.S. bogyman. A bogyman easily created by their own propaganda machine for which they could then blame all their internal problems and so then unit the people behind them? I do not know if they would nor do I pretend to know if they would because the internal Chinese political process is so murky and opaque to all outsiders including me. But transference of anger is a time test technic used by dictator’s to keep their power intact. You can see one of the reasons why I hope China does in fact prosper. It makes this last story line less likely.

But getting back on the subject of the thread, WW III will probably start someday just like in did in WW I. It will start from some unexpected event with unintended consequences. A surprising unplanned event where responsible governments quickly loses control of the situation because the nations involved jockeying for power thought that joining power blokes and strategic aliments would protect them when mutual trust was the only thing that could have save them

rip

The Israel use of nuclear weapon would only be a last ditch act of revenge as their country was being overrun by invades or had been attacked with WMD’s. They are not beyond taking all of of their enmities with to the grave and in larger numbers than their entire population but they would not use them in any other circumstance. The question would be what if they thought they were going to be attacked with WMB’s and had good evidence? If they had the hard verifiable intelligence that such an attack was planned or was in progress then the U.S. would help them in a non-nuclear preemptive attack to prevent a nuclear war. All other Israeli scenarios are unrealistic.

Rickyrab

The dictatorship of the ruling communist party which is no longer in fact communist with its total monopoly of power and its desire for complete control of the very thoughts of the Chinese people. This is the real problem.

But getting back on the subject of the thread, WW III will probably start someday just like in did in WW I. It will start from some unexpected event with unintended consequences. A surprising unplanned event where responsible governments quickly loses control of the situation because the nations involved jockeying for power thought that joining power blokes and strategic aliments would protect them when mutual trust was the only thing that could have save them
Authoritarian governments in general are a cause of concern, not necessarily because of the people at the helm, but because of the nature of authoritarianism. It supports itself, and the dictator is beholden to him/herself and whomever keeps him/her in power (i.e., the military, the police, whatever). The dictator is not necessarily beholden to the people. Because of this, dictatorships (including absolute and near-absolute monarchies) are "loose cannons" that may fire at random (and sometimes for personal reasons, as WWI shows). So what's to say some dictator doesn't build up a large military (such as Hitler did) and then use it to try to gain and annex territory, and spit at international law (such as Hitler did)? This is why any country under a dictator should be watched - just in case it turns belligerent. While democracies have their biases, they seem to be more stable and willing to step back if things get hairy. (However, democracies will often pounce if attacked.)

rip

Authoritarian governments in general are a cause of concern, not necessarily because of the people at the helm, but because of the nature of authoritarianism. It supports itself, and the dictator is beholden to him/herself and whomever keeps him/her in power (i.e., the military, the police, whatever). The dictator is not necessarily beholden to the people. Because of this, dictatorships (including absolute and near-absolute monarchies) are "loose cannons" that may fire at random (and sometimes for personal reasons, as WWI shows). So what's to say some dictator doesn't build up a large military (such as Hitler did) and then use it to try to gain and annex territory, and spit at international law (such as Hitler did)? This is why any country under a dictator should be watched - just in case it turns belligerent. While democracies have their biases, they seem to be more stable and willing to step back if things get hairy. (However, democracies will often pounce if attacked.)
I think some of the differences between the way the U.S. sees the world and the way that China sees the world, using it as just one example among many, can be seen very clearly in the respective oaths of allegiance that each makes when they inter military service.

Now I know that this varies a great deal from one country to another based upon many things both historical and the nations belief systems of that country. In fact I am very interested in the different oaths that each nation requires and would to like learn more about them from the countries I do not know.

You would assume that the oath would go to the heart of the issue of both governance and loyalty. When you swear an oath it should be to that thing which you hold most precious, more precious than anything else in the world. You are swearing that you are willing to fight for it, to kill for it, and if necessary to die for it.

In my country, when we swear an oath of alliance, we swear to uphold the U.S. Construction, the supreme law of the country and then the nation for which it stands. We do not swear to uphold a man, a dynasty, a realign, a race, or to preserve some kind of mythical sacred land myth but to uphold the law above everything else. For those of you who are not familiar with my country, the reason why this is, as an emigrant country, we are made up from peoples who came from all over the world. People who originally had many different religions and still do. People who had many different histories which were in the past often in conflict and must be forgotten. And people who had many different ideas on how to live life and in that we are still sorting them out. It is the law above all that binds, units, and defines us as Americans, not blood or history. I am sure that other counties have their own way of finding and displaying their unity and I would be interested to learning them.

The Chines soldier swears his allegiance to the Communist Party. Not to his country, his race, or anything else that an outsider like me can see or comprehend as being Chinese. Is it because if it were not for the Communist Party the country would fall apart and fall into chaos? With all of the their collative history, their enduring culture, their hard working can do attitude, and their very strong since of being Chinese, it is only the Communist Party that can or could unit them? As an outsider I find this hard to believe. But then again, I am an outsider and always will be one.

Armoredpriapism

So are we talking about a scenario for WW3 where the Chinese leadership goes Reich and tries to annex territory? I think there are many more likely scenarios for WW3 than that, mostly because China doesn't need more territory and already gets what it needs through trade. As the population gets richer it might get aggressive over trade rights but any invasion would look more like a military campaign for regime change than Hitler's annexations, a blockage, or severe posturing.
It could certainly start a regional conflict since the countries in the region that China would gain something from annexing are building up their militaries and also have treaties and alliances.
That all said, trusting that because China doesn't have a constitutional democracy a tyrant will naturally come to power and lead his minions in a delusional campaign to rule the world is too pessimistic.

Rip, my friend, I love your enthusiasm about America, though I think you need to justify that enthusiasm with the facts rather than your facts with that enthusiasm. The good news it, it's doable! America is a good thing, but I think you need to "show don't tell". But as a treat for you, [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M"]America fuck yeah-team america - YouTube[/nomedia]

rip

So are we talking about a scenario for WW3 where the Chinese leadership goes Reich and tries to annex territory? I think there are many more likely scenarios for WW3 than that, mostly because China doesn't need more territory and already gets what it needs through trade. As the population gets richer it might get aggressive over trade rights but any invasion would look more like a military campaign for regime change than Hitler's annexations, a blockage, or severe posturing.
It could certainly start a regional conflict since the countries in the region that China would gain something from annexing are building up their militaries and also have treaties and alliances.
That all said, trusting that because China doesn't have a constitutional democracy a tyrant will naturally come to power and lead his minions in a delusional campaign to rule the world is too pessimistic.

Rip, my friend, I love your enthusiasm about America, though I think you need to justify that enthusiasm with the facts rather than your facts with that enthusiasm. The good news it, it's doable! America is a good thing, but I think you need to "show don't tell". But as a treat for you, America fuck yeah-team america - YouTube
I know that my question was off the mark of the thread but I have the question and do not know where to put it. Am very interested in the different ways people come together and form a national identity. Ideality is the most mysterious and complex of all human attributes and it often collides with every point on international discussions we take up on this board because of the instinctive need which people have to defend their identity often at all costs. In many ways ideality is an irrational concept but people often act irrationally and that fact must be taken into account when predicting future events. The example I used of how the American identity is formed is an unusual one and I know that it is not the norm because most nations are very old and not migrant ones. I was not proposing it as a superior form. I do not know what a superior form might be? I just really wanted to know how others form their national idealities. It was not breast beating exercise. Sorry if I was not clear.

When I learned of the Chinese military oath it got me thinking. At first I could not understand it and I began to wonder how many other ways different people approach the same question. It is not often that I have to admit to my complete ignorance.

As to the main part of the thread “is WW III still possible” I thought that I fairly well dismissed the Idea that WW III would be a fight for dominance between the U.S. and China and gave the reasons why I thought it was unlikely. I never even brought up the idea that China wanted to go conquering about the world like Genghis Khan.

It is not a secret that when a country becomes fairly wealthy it usually loses the desire to acquire new poorer and underdeveloped territories. An act, which would for a time at least, make them poorer as a consequence of merging with their new territory. They would then have to invest a great deal of theirs capital to bring that new territory up to the same standard as its own.

Small land accusations for strategic reasons might be worth the price or if they have a lawless border area and it was causing problems for them maybe, but not large poor ones full of unhappy people. The most successful acts of conquest in history are by poorer nations concurring richer ones and then stealing their wealth. China is on the way to becoming a wealthy country without the need for conquest and conquest could very well destroy that bright future which is now within their grasp and they know it.

Armoredpriapism

I know that my question was off the mark of the thread but I have the question and do not know where to put it.
The questions you raised could be classified as psy ops, maybe. I'd love a section on this forum of that, as I think it would be interesting to bounce ideas off each other.

For now, I think we should digress back to the thread topic =p

Status
Not open for further replies.