Is it possible to enlist in a foreign country's military?

arkeville

I was reading a post by another member asking what military he should enlist in. He was an Aussie (Judging by how he mentioned HSC) and he had asked whether he should join the ADF, British or French forces..

If enlisting in another military is possible (especially British), I'd be interested too. I have already applied for the ADF and taken my aptitude test, soon to book my assessment day.. Don't get me wrong, I love Australia, but if I'm going to enlist in any military, why not spend a year or two working with others.

Just a thought.

SASWanabe

I was reading a post by another member asking what military he should enlist in. He was an Aussie (Judging by how he mentioned HSC) and he had asked whether he should join the ADF, British or French forces..

If enlisting in another military is possible (especially British), I'd be interested too. I have already applied for the ADF and taken my aptitude test, soon to book my assessment day.. Don't get me wrong, I love Australia, but if I'm going to enlist in any military, why not spend a year or two working with others.

Just a thought.
if you only want a year or 2 serving with another military, just enlist in the ADF and apply for a long exchange...

lopez

Just a thought.
you would have to check what other countries have as their minimum service requirements. In australia fro example there are few job catogories that have a service period of less than 3 years without having looked into it only seems logical to assume that other militaries that provide this option for foreigners would have similar service periods(likely to be longer than you intended 1 or 2 years).

you should also note that the french foriegn legion has a service period of 5years. you should also take into account that other militaries are likely to favour domestic recruits over international ones(with no prior experience) or they will have citizenship requirements for application.

not saying it is impossible but it will certainly be difficult.

so good luck ! :flash

stryker NZ

most countries prefer their own citizens although soe also accept permanent residents as well. It also depends on the country as each one has its own rules and regulations regarding the recruitment of foreign personal.

arkeville

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks

I spoke to my adf cousellor and he said its quite normal to go over work experience with the Brits because they're our mother country basically.

jeffb

I spoke to my adf cousellor and he said its quite normal to go over work experience with the Brits because they're our mother country basically.
ADF recruiters are also notorious for telling you what you want to hear. It might be quite normal for people to want to do exchanges, that doesn't mean it is easy to get an exchange. Even if you do qualify for one you'll likely spend a couple of years waiting for it to come through.

The same applies to re-mustering, DFR might say its possible that doesn't mean it is possible for you or in a timely manner.

Last edited:

arkeville

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ADF recruiters are also notorious for telling you what you want to hear. It might be quite normal for people to want to do exchanges, that doesn't mean it is easy to get an exchange. Even if you do qualify for one you'll likely spend a couple of years waiting for it to come through.

The same applies to re-mustering, DFR might say its possible that doesn't mean it is possible for you or in a timely manner.
Whether its possible or not, everything good comes at a price and in time.. By the time I reach where I wanna be my chances should be fairly decent.. I may not even want to exchange by that time. It was just a query.

jeffb

Oh sure, everyone asks the same questions. It is just important to make sure you choose something you really want to do rather than whatever has the shortest/no queue thinking that you'll easily be able to exchange or re-muster.