Iraqi Air Force and Air Defense

macman

Was not referring to buying multiple platforms, but one 'OR' another of these platforms. The Mig-29's, F-16, & Mirage's have the advantage of being in very wide use, should be plenty of them available, & with relatively cheap upgrades become capable multi-role platforms.

Should be available from NATO countries who are looking to upgrade, & they might get them for close to nothing as donations, along with a lot their older support structure along with it.

Pay the extra for a pretty serious overhaul & upgrade package, including modern maintenance/training facilities, extra spares, etc. & you've got the basis of a capable, relatively respectable (for the region) front line fighter force for policing air-space & providing serious support to helicopers/CAS craft in operations.

About the only hurdle in any of these planes is future upgrades - ie. easiest to go with Rafale's in the future if they get the Mirage, Mig-35 if they get the Mig-29's, etc.
However, think it's more important just to get solidly back in the 'game' at this point, & worry about that later down the track.

As for having a wide pool of trainers (mercs) available, regard this as important as having any other resources for a platform readily 'off-the-shelf'.

If, for any reason...
(ie. US support suddenly dries up for whatever reason;
it becomes too much of a political football for the Iraqi govt. to be seen to have to much dependency on the US in local issues;
the iraqi's consider the training & support the US are giving too limited or conditional; etc. etc.)
it's nice to have other readily options available.

RE: having plenty of pilots in the past for the Mi-8, Mi-24, do they still have them? Most of the pilots would of been Baathist's I imagine, & would probably been chucked out.
Even if some of them come back, it's been almost 10 years since they had any serious air time, 15 years or longer for really serious time while under heavy sanctions...

Think that they might be close to rebuilding from scratch.

---

Didn't know about the AT-6B's.
Still seem to cover the same role as the Super Tucano - don't know which would be better, as the AT-6B's look pretty good (check out the cockpit - pretty damn slick for a light attack craft :
http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/at-6b-light-attack/ )[/I]
Maybe just being friendly with the US at the moment is the deciding choice...

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
@macman

Sorry about that, apparently I cannot read and ignored the 'OR' very clearly stated. I criticized your post unfairly. :D

From an operating costs perspective, I prefer a single engine multi-role fighter/strike aircraft, they are conceptually cheaper to operate. IMHO, pilot training is a decisive factor in air combat and the US has great expertise in this respect. Iraqi does not need anything fancy and the country should start with and focus on getting the basics right (don't dream of some fancy jet that is an orphan that no other country has bought). When I say that the F-16 is the right choice, I say it with no reservations. Iraq needs to husband her oil revenues to re-develop the country so that she can march down the road to prosperity.

BTW, I also think that the Iraqi air force is starting from scratch. Those that can leave the country (with exportable skills, usable in the airline or aerospace industries) would have had to do so and who can blame them, they need to feed their family.

I am not familiar with T-6A/B planes save that it is supposed to be a direct descendant of the Swiss Pilatus PC-9 (which is a very good plane). IIRC the Hellenic Air Force also uses them and from the online specifications, it seems to be able to do everything Iraqi needs from this class of aircraft. Iraq's choice looks good and is an excellent substitute for the Super Tucano.

Off-topic:
I understand that the Singapore navy (over the last 5 years), as part of the coalition task force, was helping the Iraqi navy guard the oil terminal (under the UN mandate that just expired). Any news on that from an Iraqi perspective? I will be interested to know.

Last edited:

anan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What are the lifecycle costs of an F16 versus say an F/A 50?

What is the cheapest light attack supersonic aircraft on the market from a lifecycle cost perspective with some multi function capability (including limited air to air combat capability)?

How do the Chinese light attack aircraft stack up in terms of lifecycle costs?

Almaleki

I think that Bringing Up an American Supplied Force is Bad as Israel Have Better Weapons and for my Knew Bringing up a Mig-29s and Mil Mi-24s will be Good as we Used those Before as the Iraqis Also Used the Mi-17 and they Bought it again for 900 Pilot , Well it Must Be Good

as we Before Read Manuals and Drove our Jets ,, Why Not Now ???

anan

Welcome Almaleki. Basrah is a very cool city.

There are economies of scale in maintaining and operating aircraft. Therefore, I think the IqAF (Iraqi Air Force) should stick with F16s and F16 derivative aircraft.

Unfortunately, I don't think the IqAF can afford more than 36 F16s at this time. I think the Iraqis should wait for oil prices to rise above $60 before ordering more combat supersonic jets.

What combat supersonic aircraft do you think Iraq should buy? I think the Iraqis should consider the F/A 50 instead of additional F16s. What do the rest of you think?

In tactical air support, how does the F/A 50 compare to the F 16? Would both aircraft have comparable fuel economy and annual operations costs? Would the only difference in life cycle costs between the two aircraft be in their one time acquisition costs? Does an F 16 cost about $300 million per unit in life cycle costs over 20 years ($60 million + $12 million per year in operations costs) versus about $260 million per unit for the F/A 50 ($40 + $11 million per year in operations costs)?

What combat supersonic light attack aircraft with some multifunction capability has the lowest life cycle operations/maintenance costs?

Now this might seem like a dumb question; but how do the operations/maintenance costs of F16s compare with the AT-6B light attack turboprop aircraft Iraq is buying? (How much cheaper is the AT-6B in fuel economy and operations costs?) What functions is an F16 better than an AT-6B at other than air superiority and ground air defense suppression?

Could Iraq make do with an air force filled with only 36 F16s and AT-6B aircraft?

Might AT-6Bs cost perhaps $172 million in life cycle costs over 20 years ($8 million a year in operations costs + $12 million one time acquisition costs)? Are these estimates in the right ball bark?

Almaleki

Welcome Almaleki. Basrah is a very cool city.

There are economies of scale in maintaining and operating aircraft. Therefore, I think the IqAF (Iraqi Air Force) should stick with F16s and F16 derivative aircraft.

Unfortunately, I don't think the IqAF can afford more than 36 F16s at this time. I think the Iraqis should wait for oil prices to rise above $60 before ordering more combat supersonic jets.

What combat supersonic aircraft do you think Iraq should buy? I think the Iraqis should consider the F/A 50 instead of additional F16s. What do the rest of you think?

In tactical air support, how does the F/A 50 compare to the F 16? Would both aircraft have comparable fuel economy and annual operations costs? Would the only difference in life cycle costs between the two aircraft be in their one time acquisition costs? Does an F 16 cost about $300 million per unit in life cycle costs over 20 years ($60 million + $12 million per year in operations costs) versus about $260 million per unit for the F/A 50 ($40 + $11 million per year in operations costs)?

What combat supersonic light attack aircraft with some multifunction capability has the lowest life cycle operations/maintenance costs?

Now this might seem like a dumb question; but how do the operations/maintenance costs of F16s compare with the AT-6B light attack turboprop aircraft Iraq is buying? (How much cheaper is the AT-6B in fuel economy and operations costs?) What functions is an F16 better than an AT-6B at other than air superiority and ground air defense suppression?

Could Iraq make do with an air force filled with only 36 F16s and AT-6B aircraft?

Might AT-6Bs cost perhaps $172 million in life cycle costs over 20 years ($8 million a year in operations costs + $12 million one time acquisition costs)? Are these estimates in the right ball bark?
thx , as someguy said that the f-16 is the cheap and Good option for us ,, but i hope we don't stick on we need Air Superiority ( eg : F-15E ) and some better Tech Jets ( eg : Typhoon , Raffale and maybe mig-35 or su-35 ) so in my opinion we mustn't but the Economic Problemo is getting it Bad as the Salaries Take 50 Billion a year that makes Iraq with 14 B for this Year and the PM refuses to put salaries DOWN .....

will as i said looking for Russian , French and English Jets would be good now becuz the Americans Wouldn't sell better tech Jet instead of F-16 and Maybe F-18 in my Opinion we must look for these :
1-mig-35 , su-35 , su-37 , mig-29 , mig-27 and get better relations with Russia as the PM is going to The Russian President ,,
2-Raffale , Mirage 2000-9 which is very likely to be after Surkozi Visit to Baghdad ....
3-Typhoon the only British Jet gets in my mind .... but i think if we are looking between Britain and French then i prefer French ...

if its Between F-16 AND F-A-50 just 40 Million every 20 Years i prefer we Get the F-16s ,, its more Advanced , Heavier Option in Bombing air and Ground targets and have a Battle Record ...

No , They Cant thats why they are looking for 252 Jet

i think we must stick with the AT-6B

From where are you Friend ??

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Almaleki, just a heads up: the Su-37 is a prototype of the Su-27M, with a thrust vectoring engine. It's not an actual production item, and will never see a production run. The Su-35BM is already superior, from what I can tell.

In general, a deal for Russian jets is unlikely unless it's for something really inexpensive such as second hand MiG-29s, with refurb. and modernization in Russia.

anan

"From where are you Friend ??" I am American. But I want Iraq to have the most kick ass military the Arab world has ever seen in recorded history. And believe you me Akhi Almaleki, Iraq is well on its way to getting there. Iraq is the only Arab country to win a major war since 1918 when the arabs won there freedom from the Ottoman Turks.

I think a powerful and self reliant Iraq will smash all the Takfiri around the world by its mere existence. I think the world owes an enormous debt to the Iraqis that few of us realize. The Iraqis are fighting for the freedom of all of us (from Thailand to Russia to Afghanistan to Mumbai to the Pakistani Shia to Indonesia.)

Some of my friends and I keep close track of the Iraqi military. One of them maintains a complete order of battle for the Iraqi military (including the Iraqi Air Force):
http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2009/03/iraqi_security_force_26.php
http://www.longwarjournal.org/oob/index.php
http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2009/03/coalition_cuts_comba.php

We would greatly appreciate your insights if you would visit.

Akhoiya Almaleki, the F 16 is very good at air superiority. In fact it is so good, that Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Egypt, Israel, UAE and some other countries are nervous about America selling them to Iraq. But Almaleki, make sure America sells you Iraqis the best version of the F16, the F-16E Block 60. Use your powerful American lobby and Iraqi American community to push for it; and don't let the Israeli/Saudi lobby stop it. The F-16E Block 60 is in some ways better than any F 16 the US air force flies.

Now that you are getting the F16s, it is best to stay with F 16 derivative aircraft, because it will save you a lot of money on training, spare parts, and operations. I think Iraq can survive on F16s and AT-6Bs for now.

The way I see it, the only things the F16 can do better than the AT-6B is air superiority and air defense suppression. The AT-6B has enough range fully loaded to offer tactical air support for the ISF throughout all of Iraq from only two air bases. I believe the AT-6B is as good as the F16 at tactical air support except for:
1) smaller payload
2) smaller range
3) slower flight speed

When oil prices recover, then Iraq should decide what other aircraft to purchase. I think Iraq should demand either the best quality F 16 available, or buy the F/A 50 (which is an F 16 derivative made by South Korea) if Iraq gets a sufficiently good deal. Another option might be the Mitsubishi F-2 (produced by Japan), although it is more expensive than the F 16 E Block 60.

The purpose of the 36 F16s is to deter Saudi Arabia, UAE, Jordan, Israel, Syria, Turkey and Iran. Is 36 F16s enough for that purpose?

AlMaleki, I would love to touch base offline if possible.

Last edited:

anan

Is the best F16 type aircraft on the market the F 16 E block 60? Or is it the Mitsubishi F-2? Could Iraq buy some Misubishi F-2? Japan might be willing to sell some to reduce the unit cost for development and to extend the production cycle of the plane?

What is the SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) analysis for each F 16 type plane relative to each other?

How about cost per unit? Life cycle cost per unit?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some of my friends and I keep close track of the Iraqi military. One of them maintains a complete order of battle for the Iraqi military (including the Iraqi Air Force):
http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2009/03/iraqi_security_force_26.php
http://www.longwarjournal.org/oob/index.php
http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2009/03/coalition_cuts_comba.php

We would greatly appreciate your insights if you would visit.
I notice motorized and infantry divisions. But there seems to be very little difference. Could you explain the rationale behind it to me by any chance?

The purpose of the 36 F16s is to deter Saudi Arabia, UAE, Jordan, Israel, Syria, Turkey and Iran. Is 36 F16s enough for that purpose?
Hardly. The best deterrence against any of the above is heavy American political support. 36 F-16's are a chew toy for the Saudis, or Turks. The UAE, Jordan, and Syria don't have the means to start a war of aggression. Only Iran might be a competitor on roughly the same level. And even then, only because most of what they fly is either outdated or obsolete.

anan

"I notice motorized and infantry divisions. But there seems to be very little difference." Motorized have wheeled vehicles. The ISF is getting about 10,000 uparmored Humvees from the US military free of charge. The delivery is expected to be completed in the coming months. Most IA "motorized infantry" units will be equipped with unarmored Humvees.

IA units with more armored wheeled vehicles are "wheeled mechanized" or "wheeled lightly armored cavalry." The IA has many such battalions and is in the process of standing up many more. The INP (Iraqi National Police) has one wheeled mechanized brigade with three wheeled mechanized battalions. Additional INP wheeled mechanized battalions are being stood up.

Notice that if you click on the PDF pages for the different respective IA (Iraqi Army) Corps, the division units will list their known equipment on the right.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
anan, fundamentally, you post like a British government accountant dealing with the UK air force, when they proposed to remove the internal gun from the Typhoon (as a cost saving measure).

You clearly have a civilian mindset on defence matters. And I can tell you that you are going down the wrong road in your line of inquiry. SWOT analysis is a marketing planning tool and is not often used in defence capability analysis. You need to read more on defence matters to engage in a more meaningful discussion. You can start by reading up on the evolution of the F-16 and the Air Campaign by Col. Warden, which deals with the concept of air superiority. Attaining air superiority is not simple in either concept or execution.

Is the best F16 type aircraft on the market the F-16 E block 60?

...What is the SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) analysis for each F 16 type plane relative to each other?
You will find that military capability does not reside in platforms alone and that for every advance or platform, there is often a strategic counter. The key is to out think the aggressor, so as to enable you to out fight the aggressor. And I mean it at both strategic and tactical levels. Technology only gives you more choices, it does not make the choices for you. While advances in technology can be game changing, it does not remove the need for the player to plan, sense and respond. :)

Or is it the Mitsubishi F-2? Could Iraq buy some Misubishi F-2? Japan might be willing to sell some to reduce the unit cost for development and to extend the production cycle of the plane?
The F-2 is not for export or sale. If you don't know that, you don't understand Japan. ;)

anan said:
(i) Akhoiya Almaleki, the F 16 is very good at air superiority. In fact it is so good, that Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Egypt, Israel, UAE and some other countries are nervous about America selling them to Iraq.

(ii) But Almaleki, make sure America sells you Iraqis the best version of the F16, the F-16E Block 60.

(iii) Use your powerful American lobby and Iraqi American community to push for it; and don't let the Israeli/Saudi lobby stop it. The F-16E Block 60 is in some ways better than any F 16 the US air force flies.
(i) I will bet with you that an Iraqi block 60 F-16 operating on it's own can be easily neutralized by many other advanced F-16 operators operating older model F-16s. This is where training, doctrine and technology levers comes in. Both Turkey and Israel have air forces designed to gain air superiority in their immediate regional environment.

(ii) The F-16 today is an excellent multi-role aircraft (and can perform both air-to-air missions and air-to-ground missions). You do not gain air superiority with a platform choice. An air campaign is not a platform fight alone. It is a systems fight. You must integrate your assets and platforms into a coherent fighting system. In that respect, you may need to read more.

(iii) You must ask how a block 60 will be employed. Tactics and doctrine are important in the context of a systems fight.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am American. But I want Iraq to have the most kick ass military the Arab world has ever seen in recorded history. And believe you me Akhi Almaleki, Iraq is well on its way to getting there. Iraq is the only Arab country to win a major war since 1918 when the arabs won there freedom from the Ottoman Turks.

I think a powerful and self reliant Iraq will smash all the Takfiri around the world by its mere existence. I think the world owes an enormous debt to the Iraqis that few of us realize. The Iraqis are fighting for the freedom of all of us (from Thailand to Russia to Afghanistan to Mumbai to the Pakistani Shia to Indonesia.)
Please note that you do not speak for the rest of the world and there are many other factors to consider. I seriously doubt that you are an American, though you clearly have an anglo-education (that has failed you, in terms of an awareness of other perspectives :eek: ).

The US military is providing 'free' assistance and training. Iraqis like Almaleki should not look a gift horse in the mouth. Singapore had to pay for our advice (which I must say is/was worth ever cent). Further, Almaleki doesn't seem appreciative or willing to learn (as Almaleki noted in post #25, Iraqis can just read manuals themselves in relation to operating planes, which is a silly statement :rolleyes: ).

Last edited:

Almaleki

Almaleki, just a heads up: the Su-37 is a prototype of the Su-27M, with a thrust vectoring engine. It's not an actual production item, and will never see a production run. The Su-35BM is already superior, from what I can tell.

In general, a deal for Russian jets is unlikely unless it's for something really inexpensive such as second hand MiG-29s, with refurb. and modernization in Russia.
I really like the BM-30 Smeresh Artilary

anan

I heard that Almaleki's IP address had been banned. Can I request that the moderator allow Almaleki to post comments here again?

Is there a way I could e-mail some of the moderators here directly?

Note that Iraq's defense procurement is discussed here:
http://www.defenselink.mil/dodcmssh...-03/03160915192820090316_Avery_transcript.pdf

36 F16s would be a deterrent to the Saudis or Turks launching any adventures inside Iraq. You don't need to be able to defeat an adversary in order to deter them; just give them a bloody nose.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see why the Turks would launch adventures inside Iraq. Or the Saudis for that matter. But if either one of them felt it was necessary, then those 36 F-16s would be far too few to offer any real deterrent in my opinion. Both Turkey and KSAF fly enough aircraft to simply overwhelm the Iraqi F-16s.

anan

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2009/03/205_41302.html

IzAF (Iraqi Air Force) buying T 50s.

This is in addition to the 36 F16s and 24 AT-6Bs on order.

Also check the comment section for this article:
http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2009/03/iraqi_ground_forces.php

Are the Iraqis buying block 50 - 52 F16s, or block 60 F16Es?

What are the 20 year life cycle costs per aircraft?

My estimate:
$400 million for F16
$300 million for T50 or F/A 50
$100 million for AT-6B

Are these in the rough ball park?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Iraq is ordering 22 Mi-17s for 80 million in Russia. The Kazan aviation plant is doing the building.

http://lenta.ru/news/2009/03/30/helicopters/

They will then be modified by a US company in Georgia to Iraqi specifications, and delivered to Iraq. The contract is valued at 80 million. The company awarded the deal (as Rosoboroneksport is under sanctions) is Aeronautical Radio Incorporated.

Well looks like the news of more Mi-17s turned out to be true. As I understand, Iraq already operates some Mi-17s and Mi-8s. How large do you think, of a fleet will Iraq need total?