Invade Zimbabwe call

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
Errr - it's 500 km from the coast to Harare, so it won't be that easy to chopper in enough troops for an operation that size, especially taking into account that Mugabe will know the fleet is coming, & is unlikely to cower in the most obvious spot. Sierra Leone is small & coastal, & we were propping up a government against crazy & chaotic rebels, not trying to overthrow one. Much easier.
helps if you look at a map of the place first before you start planning to take a place out:D DOH :hitwall

also wouldn't 70% ish of the troops suffer from malnutrition as everybody having trouble trying to get enough food unless your a crony for Mugaby or important enough

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
The African Union under SA leadership could then send in a peace-keeping force until democratic elections are completed followed by a massive aid package funded by the UN/EU/US
But thats just it the African Union seems completely unable to take on these sorts of responcibilities and South Africa does not seem to be able to take the leadership in the matter.

The problems in Africa are in a large part caused by colonial powers from Europe, so they definately have a part to play. Colonial powers can't just leave a ex-colony to fail this badly.

You can't just leave it to South africa, the problems in africa are too big for a single african country to fix. By not helping they will never get fixed. If they never get fixed your going to create very deep problems that will come back to bite you on your arse.

swerve

Super Moderator
But thats just it the African Union seems completely unable to take on these sorts of responcibilities and South Africa does not seem to be able to take the leadership in the matter.

The problems in Africa are in a large part caused by colonial powers from Europe, so they definately have a part to play. Colonial powers can't just leave a ex-colony to fail this badly.....
Come on, mate! In the early 1960s we had a fully functioning colony, with a flourishing economy, sound institutions, local self-government & a plan to move it towards independence, starting with extending the franchise. Unfortunately, those who had the franchise objected to sharing it & rebelled, until the constant drain of holding on against a rebellion by those who didn't have the franchise wore 'em down. We stepped in & negotiated a deal. It was inferior to that which could have been put in place 15 years earlier, largely because of all the buggers with guns roaming around the bush, but it was workable. And for a while, it worked. Mugabe was still (apparently) sane back then, & he's bloody clever. He tried not to frighten off the whites, kept the institutions in place, but extended their coverage (e.g. agricultural advice & credit became available to black farmers, & racial quotas for universities were abolished). He showed every sign of being determined to avoid the disastrous mistakes of Nkomo, Nyerere, Nkrumah et al (of which, BTW, he'd published critical analyses which still look good), & not being tempted to loot the country personally (NB. that started with his second wife). The economy did pretty well, for a while, & most whites stayed - for a while. How were we to know that Mugabe would go mad, & start destroying the country? That didn't start until years after independence.

Manfred2

Three words- Not My Problem.

Africa might want to shrug off the old tradition of "President for Life". Mugabe would have gone down in history as a great leader... if he had served 8 years and gone off to a nice retirement.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Africa might want to shrug off the old tradition of "President for Life". Mugabe would have gone down in history as a great leader... if he had served 8 years and gone off to a nice retirement.
huh? Iraq....three words...not my problem..or..not your problem..we in the west seem to be very picky about who,s problem we interfere in. rawanda was definatly not our problem,sierra leone was another,we had a half hearted go in somalia...just seems that africa is not our problem. think we should encourage south Africa to deal with Zim,and give her a hand!

swerve

Super Moderator

Marred by the Matabeleland massacres, but at least the economy was in pretty good shape after he'd been there 8 years.

Manfred2

Iraq was our problem, and here is why;

During the Cold War, there were two Nations in the Gulf that were on our side from start to finish, and Kuwait was one of them. The only real benifit they were going to get out of this was, if the baloon ever went up, we would be there for them. It did, and we went there to kick Iraq out. with me so far?

We did not go all the way to Bagdad because Saddam agreed to a peace treaty. He spent the next 12 years violating it every way he could. He was also financing suicide bombers and was the most likely place for Al Queada to go for support after Afganistan.

Thanks to all the critical propaganda against our efforts in both places, is it any wonder that the US has no interest in being the world's policeman?

Izzy1

Banned Member
hey man no offence i jus meant UK shud ignore such calls and concentrate on what will be better for her future!
no hard feelings i hope
How old are you? This is an adult website and you spell and grammar like idiot. Yes, we speak English, you have checker. I take no notice. Disappear.

badguy2000

ZIMBABWE'S leading cleric has called on Britain to invade the country and topple President Robert Mugabe.

I understand from reliable sources that the UK has contingency plans in place for such a move, but remains frustrated by the lack of support from South Africa, specifically there refusal to allow UK assets to stage from SA airbases.

If you were tasked to invade Zim, how would you do it without SA’s logistical support?
China would declare that Zimbabwe were its protectorate ,if so.

Izzy1

Banned Member
Originally Posted by badguy2000
China would declare that Zimbabwe were its protectorate ,if so.
I know a few Zim folk who wouldn't take too kindly to that idea.

China couldn't project the force capability to back-up such nonsense anyway.

riksavage

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
China advocates soft-power projection not hard-power projection – she’s not ready yet to flex her muscles in far off places. Plus they do not have the capability to defend Zim without a huge investment in time, military infrastructure and hard-ware on the ground. They could help train troops and send a few obsolete Mig 21’s and T55’s, but that’s about it. They would gain little by interfering, simply no advantage in supporting a failed state, which everyone now realises is a lost cause.

With plans to nationalise industry and mining, RM is desperate to cling on to power, his days are numbered. SA and the UN are already planning for a massive influx of refugees once the final collapse occurs.

Basically RM’s bags are packed, the money’s in a Swiss account and his planes are the tarmac engines running!

badguy2000

China advocates soft-power projection not hard-power projection – she’s not ready yet to flex her muscles in far off places. Plus they do not have the capability to defend Zim without a huge investment in time, military infrastructure and hard-ware on the ground. They could help train troops and send a few obsolete Mig 21’s and T55’s, but that’s about it. They would gain little by interfering, simply no advantage in supporting a failed state, which everyone now realises is a lost cause.

With plans to nationalise industry and mining, RM is desperate to cling on to power, his days are numbered. SA and the UN are already planning for a massive influx of refugees once the final collapse occurs.

Basically RM’s bags are packed, the money’s in a Swiss account and his planes are the tarmac engines running!
it is very easy!

what PLA needs do is just to send several dozen of JH7 fighter&bomber with new anti-ship missiles, under the name of "volunteers troop".

UK's ACs so called in fact are just "jeep" AC. several dozen JH7 can deal with them easily!

Don't forget what french anti-ship missile did with UK's fleet in 1982 war.

Last edited:

Izzy1

Banned Member
it is very easy!

what PLA needs do is just to send several dozen of JH7 fighter&bomber with new anti-ship missiles, under the name of "volunteers troop".

UK's ACs so called in fact are just "jeep" AC. several dozen JH7 can deal with them easily!

Don't forget what french anti-ship missile did with UK's fleet in 1982 war.
1. "several dozen" - do you actually know how many JH-7 the PLAN has? Enlighten me.

2. How do you propose to deploy these units all the way to Zimbabwe from China without the UK or the Royal Navy knowing and countering their "threat".

3. Those French ASMs in 1982 are still on par with todays Chinese copies. The Royal Navy learnt its lesson. Phalanx, Goalkeeper and Seawolf would deal with them. Allah help you if they sent a Type 45.

Do you honestly think China would risk a war over Zimbabwe. Do some research my friend, TODAY.

badguy2000

1. "several dozen" - do you actually know how many JH-7 the PLAN has? Enlighten me.

2. How do you propose to deploy these units all the way to Zimbabwe from China without the UK or the Royal Navy knowing and countering their "threat".

3. Those French ASMs in 1982 are still on par with todays Chinese copies. The Royal Navy learnt its lesson. Phalanx, Goalkeeper and Seawolf would deal with them. Allah help you if they sent a Type 45.

Do you honestly think China would risk a war over Zimbabwe. Do some research my friend, TODAY.
1, As for chinese ASM, you should do more research. Chinese ASM tech is even better than USA and only behind Russia.
Do google YJ91,C803 etc...PLS,then have a talk about Chinese ASM.

Chinese JH7 can launch YJ91 ASM 250 miles away from targets.
those new Chinese ASM are specially designed to attack US AC group.

UK's "jeep AC" are just sitting ducks to such ASM.

2,there are several regiment of PLAN which has JH7. you can find the detail in sinodefence...

3,how to deploy the JH7 to Zimbabwe?
very easy! China just directly ship the goods to Zimbabwe!

remember, I suggest that China just send JH7 under the name of "volunteer".
China needn't declare war on UK. so how dare UK attack chinese ship?
attack civilian ship is action of war~

BTW, UK' 45 DDg is a decent DDG, but its Anti-are capacity is not better than US AEgis.
I don't think 45 DDG can resist the sea-skim attack of chinese new ASM

Izzy1

Banned Member
how to deploy the JH7 to Zimbabwe?
very easy! China just directly ship the goods to Zimbabwe!
Zimbabwe doesn't have a port... It's landlocked for Allah's sake. Perhaps you should REALLY do some some research and have figured that out.

I didn't go into the rest of your "argument", it was a pointless waste of time.

However again, I am going to ask you the question in plain English - Do you honestly believe China would fight a war over Zimbabwe???

but its Anti-are
That's Anti-AIR by the way.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
All.

This is an english speaking site. make the effort to spell properly through an online checker or use a dictionary.

We do not want to see posts written in cellphone/mobile/handy phone english.

For the offenders, read the rules and guidelines before posting anything else.

There is no excuse for not making the effort even if english is not your primary language.

In addition - we are losing patience with people who post scenarios and then don't do a scintilla of research prior to posting.

If you want to participate and engage others (esp those who have the expertise to respond) then make a serious attempt to get your homework right before posting.