Indonesian Aero News

Sandhi Yudha

Got this from internet and local military forum. Seems Indonesian Army Apache in final preparation test by Boeing before sending to the users.
Thank you for sharing, although you post it in the wrong thread...
When were the eight AH-64Es ordered? 2012, 2014? Deliveries always takes so much time if you order from the US.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for sharing, although you post it in the wrong thread...
When were the eight AH-64Es ordered? 2012, 2014? Deliveries always takes so much time if you order from the US.
If not mistaken the contract finalise in end 2014, with Boeing being prepared the fabrication in 2015..1st batch supossedly being delivered by either November or December this year. 3 years for US brand new product I think still within normal time frame.

Any way this thread is about Indonesian Aero..thus even Apache belong to Army, but it's Aero news.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Indonesia Selects NASAMS Air Defence System

Indonesian order of 1 batery (6 launchers) of Norwegian Nasams short medium range SAM. Will be used for Capital City area defense. The Jakarta Area Defense is not existance since early 70's when the last SA-2 Area defense SAM being taken from operational service.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Indonesian order of 1 batery (6 launchers) of Norwegian Nasams short medium range SAM. Will be used for Capital City area defense. The Jakarta Area Defense is not existance since early 70's when the last SA-2 Area defense SAM being taken from operational service.
It’s clearly an impressive system. Australia chose it as the basis of our new air defence system earlier this year as well...

Ananda

The Bunker Group
NASAMS open architecture system make it flexibel and can be integrated with various Air Defence system in Inventory like Oerlikon Sky Shield.

I think this make main reason on choosing Nasams over other contender system from Cina and Russia.

r0m8470

NASAMS open architecture system make it flexibel and can be integrated with various Air Defence system in Inventory like Oerlikon Sky Shield.

I think this make main reason on choosing Nasams over other contender system from Cina and Russia.
I thought the contract is for the system sans the actual missile. The DSCA notification for AMRAAM was for the F-16s, not for a ground-based system AFAIK.

On a related note, what's the news about KFX/IFX budget fiasco? Mrs Sri Mulyani has got to be pulling her hair out over this one. I heard that military satellite budget is facing the same issue (late addition to an agreed budget?).

Sandhi Yudha

At last,after decades of only low cost low altitude short range air defence systems....
But its only a contract for the (empty) NASAMS system, the missiles have to be ordered in a separate contract with the US.
Its a very capable system, comparable with the VL-ADS version of the MICA, but choosing a system which uses the American AMRAAM missiles, you make yourself vulnerable for American embargos. What if the US doesn't want to sell these missiles to us? Than we have a $77 million hightech SAM-system with empty launch tubes.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
@rom..on the budgetery fiasco..what can I say..except it shows what I've been saying for long time that the profesionalism of Mindef is just getting down hill during this administration..I never say that during previous administration that their profesionalism already in world standard..but at least shown improving trend..now they just getting worse..

It's a very mess up budgetary practices by mindef and I don't blame ministry of finance just pull the rug on this year mindef budget implementation..holding payments for KFX/IFX and Military Satelite has to be done to save overall multi year budget..the mindef simply stated/forward one version of budget to ministry of finance and later on told different budget to parliement, and ask non budgetary fund to cover their mess...

As for missiles..well since AMRAAM is not produce by Norway..well it's logical the missiles must be acquaired on seperate deals. On reliance to US missiles..I read somewhere in internet (thus not verified)..Nasams system can be modified for other BVR missiles with similar specs and measurement like Raphael Derby or Danel Darter..
Like I said before, Nasams open and flexible system, that attracted TNI on acquaring the system.
Rumours says that TNI actually also interested with Spyder..but I think they simply have difficulty to say Spyder is Philipines build, just like when they bought Heron, and saying it's Philipines build, with Israel Tech..;)

tonnyc

I have nothing good to say about the current minister of defense. The president should've fired him after the first year, but maybe he feels he has to give the Armed Forces something. The current minister of defense is a retired general and there is/was a widespread thinking that the ministry of defense ought to be staffed by ex-soldiers because "they'll know defense better than a civvie". Well, hopefully people will have learned better next time.

The satellite has been canceled by Airbus due to failure to pay the initial downpayment before the deadline. This is a good thing. The supposed need for a military satellite isn't urgent and whenever I hear the defense minister or some generals try to justify it they just fumbled it. (hint: they need the satellite not only for communication, but also for navigation and intelligence) Except of course it's considered unpatriotic to outright deny "a defense need". But notice that nothing happened. If the need for a military satellite had indeed been that urgent heads would have rolled at this fumbling.

I'm sure the armed forces will try again to get a satellite. That's okay. Given a few years the armed forces may get to a stage where they actually need a communication satellite just for themselves, and perhaps by then they will have learned how to do proper budgeting. But for now it's canceled.

r0m8470

@rom..on the budgetery fiasco..what can I say..except it shows what I've been saying for long time that the profesionalism of Mindef is just getting down hill during this administration..I never say that during previous administration that their profesionalism already in world standard..but at least shown improving trend..now they just getting worse..

It's a very mess up budgetary practices by mindef and I don't blame ministry of finance just pull the rug on this year mindef budget implementation..holding payments for KFX/IFX and Military Satelite has to be done to save overall multi year budget..the mindef simply stated/forward one version of budget to ministry of finance and later on told different budget to parliement, and ask non budgetary fund to cover their mess...

As for missiles..well since AMRAAM is not produce by Norway..well it's logical the missiles must be acquaired on seperate deals. On reliance to US missiles..I read somewhere in internet (thus not verified)..Nasams system can be modified for other BVR missiles with similar specs and measurement like Raphael Derby or Danel Darter..
Like I said before, Nasams open and flexible system, that attracted TNI on acquaring the system.
Rumours says that TNI actually also interested with Spyder..but I think they simply have difficulty to say Spyder is Philipines build, just like when they bought Heron, and saying it's Philipines build, with Israel Tech..;)
I agree with you. The accountability culture is not there yet for some officials, current Mindef is a good example. My assumption is that the person still stays at his post as an appeasement to the military to support the current coalition.

I am excited though seeing that there is a non-SHORAD system being purchased and put in place. I hope that the service did put it through rigorous testings and live fire exercise as the Army is doing with the new Leos. I know that missiles ain't cheap, but better spend them on exercise vs having them sitting inside ammo depot. I think the Army had lots of lots of Rapiers (based on announced contract value then) but never end up putting them out for live fire ex.

If they wanted Spyder, they should get Spyder. Hell, while they're at it, get some Phython 5 too ....

Sandhi Yudha

Misleading head of this article.
Indonesia to Export Locally Produced N219 Plane to China, Mexico

Jakarta. Indonesia plans to sell its locally produced N219, a 19-seater propeller airplane manufactured by state-owned aerospace company Dirgantara Indonesia, to China and Mexico, taking advantage of airworthiness agreements Indonesia has signed with both countries.

Complete article at Indonesia to Export Locally Produced N219 Plane to China, Mexico | Jakarta Globe
Because there is only a plan for export.
I doubt if the N219 will be successful in China, after all they have their own Harbin Y-12, Which is similar in performance as the DHC-6 Twin Otter.
Looking to the Specs, the N219 will have a better performance than the Y-12, so hopefully the Chinese will not buy a small amount of it, and afterwards illegally copy/reverse engineer the N219 followed by production with a Chinese designation.

BTW, what is the status of the second prototype of the N219, assembling process near completion?

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Final ex-USAF F-16s set to be delivered to Indonesia | Jane's 360

Last batch of 6 F16C/D blk 25 upgrade with blok 52 avionics (called F16 52 ID) being sent from US to Indonesia. This will concluded all 24 fighter on that category. Of 24, one already have total loss accident.

On the other hand 9 surviving (frm original 12) F16 A/B blk15 OCU, will begin MLU upgrade conducted in house in Iswahyudi AB. LM got the contract to do the job.

This will then provide 32 upgrade F-16 with blk 52 avionics, which equiped 2 sq one in Pekanbaru AB and the other in Iswahyudi AB. Include in the similar contract of 24 F16 C/D, also 6 F16 in spare parts condition.

LM also in talk with Indonesian Mindef for potential deal of the latest F-16V. Rumours indicated that this part of LM support for KFX/IFX project. Where to sweeten the LM support ROKAF already committed for 40 F35, and it's expected by LM TNI-AU will also committed for at least 16 F16V.

https://www.kemhan.go.id/2017/12/07/11618.html

The article related to LM commitment to support KFX/IFX project..well no free lunch in this world.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
https://tni-au.mil.id/tni-au-gelar-kekuatan-di-pangkalan-terdepan/

Article from TNI-AU official website. Basically the new TNI chief (which come from TNI-AU, thus historically first Air Force Chief that become TNI Chief), stated the plan expansion for TNI-AU.

This is just confirming older expansion plan, 3 new fighter sq, 2 new transport sq, 2 UAV sq, 1 additional Helicopter sq, 4 AEW plane, and 4 Multipurpose Tanker.

The AEW plane being speculated on smaller platform like Gulfstream based, or C295 based.

Sandhi Yudha

Final ex-USAF F-16s set to be delivered to Indonesia | Jane's 360

Last batch of 6 F16C/D blk 25 upgrade with blok 52 avionics (called F16 52 ID) being sent from US to Indonesia. This will concluded all 24 fighter on that category. Of 24, one already have total loss accident.

On the other hand 9 surviving (frm original 12) F16 A/B blk15 OCU, will begin MLU upgrade conducted in house in Iswahyudi AB. LM got the contract to do the job.

This will then provide 32 upgrade F-16 with blk 52 avionics, which equiped 2 sq one in Pekanbaru AB and the other in Iswahyudi AB. Include in the similar contract of 24 F16 C/D, also 6 F16 in spare parts condition.

LM also in talk with Indonesian Mindef for potential deal of the latest F-16V. Rumours indicated that this part of LM support for KFX/IFX project. Where to sweeten the LM support ROKAF already committed for 40 F35, and it's expected by LM TNI-AU will also committed for at least 16 F16V.

https://www.kemhan.go.id/2017/12/07/11618.html

The article related to LM commitment to support KFX/IFX project..well no free lunch in this world.
Well, according to detiknews, only 4 were delivered. Two are stuck in the US because of engine problems.... That's a bad sign, already broken and unusable before delivery...

swerve

Super Moderator
https://tni-au.mil.id/tni-au-gelar-kekuatan-di-pangkalan-terdepan/

Article from TNI-AU official website. Basically the new TNI chief (which come from TNI-AU, thus historically first Air Force Chief that become TNI Chief), stated the plan expansion for TNI-AU.

This is just confirming older expansion plan, 3 new fighter sq, 2 new transport sq, 2 UAV sq, 1 additional Helicopter sq, 4 AEW plane, and 4 Multipurpose Tanker.

The AEW plane being speculated on smaller platform like Gulfstream based, or C295 based.
The Erieye AEW system (in the latest upgraded ER version) is currently being offered on SAAB 2000 & Bombardier Global 6000, & has been fitted to EMB-145.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Well yes, Erieye is one of AEW system that being marketed strongly by SAAB..SAAB even open talk on helping Indonesian AF by cooperating with local state owned electronics company to developed multi-link data system that can communicate with Link 16 (in F-16), the Russian System, and SAAB owned system as the based.

@Sandhi Yudha..there are still no detail information what happened to the two F-16 that got trouble in Hawai during transit.

But those F-16 got same standard MLU job that's being done to all USAF F-16, and USAF F-16 doing well after MLU..
The problem after MLU can happen, even new build one can also got problem shortly after delivered. TNI-AU is not the first customer for second hand F-16..even Canada now looking for second hand F-18 ex RAAF.

Good thing that they encounter engine problem during this stage..new engine or parts that's broken will be replaced soon from USAF stock. That's why many countries still attracted to buy second hand upgraded F-16, since it can rely on fast network of parts and logistic that already available.

That's huge available network parts is one attraction on why US build second hand fighters still attractive in Market. You can't expect that if you buy 'say' second hand Russian build fighters..even newly build ones sometimes got problem in spare parts time table availability.

http://www.janes.com/article/76384/...boration-with-boeing-on-helicopter-programmes

Article on Boeing collaboration with DI to build supporting network for Apache and Chinook in Indonesia.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
1st Batch AH-64E TNI-AD Aviation

https://www.defensenews.com/air/201...pache-guardian-for-indonesia-arrives-from-us/

First batch of Indonesian Army AH-64E Apache has arived yesterday in Army Aviation AB in Semarang Central Java.

According to local forum that witness the arival, the first batch consist of 3 AH-64E which transported by one C-17 Globemaster. Those 8 AH-64E will reported create hybrid attack sq with 5(or 6?) Mi-35 currently in TNI-AD Aviation (Penerbad) inventory.

It's been speculated that eventually Penerbad will have one full sq of AH-64E and one sq of Mi-35 as the plan Army development. However personally I do have doubt on further acquisition of Mi-35, since the Army seems prefered more Mi-17V.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
The picture so far shown that the rotors is not fit to the apache..they seems going to be reassemble in Semarang AB facility