Indonesian Aero News

Ananda

The Bunker Group
14th Sq F-5E begin their retirement in 2015. The first Rafale schedulled to be begin operational fastest in 2025. So a decade without designated Fighter for 14th Sq. Well better late then never.

Sandhi Yudha

Text editing in progress.
- So from which i understqnd, there are 7 PT-6 turboprop engines ordered, 4 for the IAI Heron TP, 3 for the three ordered KT-1B. I didnt know Indonesia ordered four IAI Heron TP/Eitan UAVs.

- Good news tgat Indonesia ordered 50 MM40 Block 3 Exocets.

- Complicated deal: the UT-30 turrets are from Israelian design, but built in Brazil, and will be installed on Austrian APCs coming from a Czech production line.

- I wonder if the 22 BMP-3F and 21 BT-3F vehicles under the $170 million deal are alreqdy paid for.

- Nice to know that the inflight refueling systems are already ordered for the two A400Ms.

- Its just great news that Indonesia ordered 200 AIM-120C-7 AMRAAMs and 2 MPQ-64 radars for the NASAMS units! At last after years of only 36 pieces which have to be shared for the F-16s and NASAMS.

(Source: SIPRI)

Last edited:

STURM

Ananda and Sandhi,

To the best of your knowledge has the TNI-AU ever sourced parts for the its Su-27/30 fleet from anyone other than Russia?

Ananda

The Bunker Group
best of your knowledge has the TNI-AU ever sourced parts for the its Su-27/30 fleet from anyone other than Russia?
Belarus. Indonesian Flankers especially the first batch got MRO and upgrade in Belarus. From my understanding Belarus MRO got facilities on providing parts for Flankers as the work also done on reconditioning the airframes.

I'm not sure if Belarus MRO provide all parts, I suspect they also sources some parts from Russia asside on parts they are producing on their own. The first four batch MRO done in Belarus since early 2017, so it's predates CAATSA. Thus Belarus being choosen more on commercial choices.

They have some talk on doing MRO in Ukraine or India, but seems Belarus got the contract outbidding even Russian MRO.

STURM

I have been told but can't confirm how accurate it is; that for a while the TNI-AU sourced certain Made in China spares from a Malaysian company which got them for the RMAF.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
That I can not confirm. What I can gather asside Russia, they talk with Belarus, Ukraine and India for potential MRO (thus also parts). However it is not improbable some talk with China occur. However perhaps not that serious. Even India only being discuss quite recently.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
didnt know Indonesia ordered four IAI Heron TP/Eitan.
Heron rumours already being talked since 2012. However now asside from Indegenous Black Eagle MALE UAV, the potential MALE UAV being talked is Turkish Bayraktar. Seems present Mindef thinking is to get MALE UAV that can do both survailence and light strike capabilities.

SIPRI sometimes based their information on strong contract potential, but not implemented contract. They still put 2nd Batch DSME, which so far seems going to be scuttle for the benefit of NG Scorpene project.

So I don't think MinDef already implemented the contract on Heron, but it is probable (even small) since it is Israel stuff, they are doing it silently.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

GMF Aero (MRO Subsidiary of Garuda Indonesia) put press release on confirmation they already got official approval from LM doing Structural MRO and upgrade for C-130 B/H/HS.

Basically it's official approval for GMF from LM on doing current TNI-AU C-130 types for overall MRO job. This is part of GMF effort to branch out front commercial MRO in to military MRO, with gaining AMARS (Approval Military Repair Station) certification.

With this, they already got AMARS for C-130, C-212, 737, and A330.

koxinga

Indonesian SU are serviced by JSC 558 Aircraft Repair Plant in Belarus, while the Malaysians have their own, joint venture ATSC Sdn Bhd. As for Chinese made parts, I've heard but nothing concrete and it seems unbelievable. Consumerables maybe but LRU?

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Related to network centric that TNI build, LEN put press conference yesterday on their Tactical Data Link as part of Link ID initiative.

FM2AsnoVUAMQo1l.jpeg

In the diagram Link for Air Assets still being put as Link-16. According to LEN Press release for Air Assets they are already created CTDLS Link ID, while for Naval Assets call NCS Link ID (not Link-Y as in above diagram).

This is undestandable as the above diagram is initial presentation from SCYTALYS, thus not putting adjustment on LEN products. This is part of LEN development on Indonesian indegenous C5ISR for TNI operation.

LEN claim they are adjusting the Link Network for adaptation enabling data communication between Western and Eastern system in TNI.

Sandhi Yudha

The process against a corruptor in the EH-101 acquisition scandal is still ongoing.
From which i understand this person is a civilian, but there are 5 airforce officers involved in the corruption case.

Paskhas during a CSAR-exercise. Maybe im wrong but to me it looks like a NAS332 Super Puma, and not a CSAR EC725.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
http://instagr.am/p/Cbe5GAevvfg/
Infoglobal Avionics Instagram. This company perhaps the only active Indonesian company that work on Avionics. The company also already being used by TNI-AU and DI for projects on avionics modifications.

They're showing the Thales team visit for projects related to ToT and Local content and Offset project with Rafale acquisition.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

In the mean time from TNI-AU official site, Iswahyudi AB in Madiun as one of largest TNI-AU Fighters base, doing large deployment exercise involving all the AB 3 Fighters Squadrons.

With Flankers from Sq 14, F-16 from Sq 3 and TA-50i from Sq 15. This is part of TNI-AU show case to the public, on their fighters readiness.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

This is video from Today seminar on Air Power conducting related toward TNI-AU 76th birthday. This is only 1st half of the seminar, there's 2nd half of the seminar.

However for me, the interesting part is in 2:12:00 when TNI-AU speaker talk on the progress building and preparing TNI-AU for complete Hybrid Warfare. Previous speaker also talking on Hybrid Warfare, and basically shown TNI-AU has to build 4th gen warfare first before can move to 5th gen warfare.

This is one of reason why Indonesian MinDef purchasing 4.5 gen Fighters like Rafale 3R (so the version is not Rafale 4, but seems upgradeable to that) and F-15IDN. The speakers simply say TNI-AU is not ready yet for 5th gen, as the infrastructure development is not ready yet.

One thing interesting what TNI-AU aim on UCAF is that asside for ISR use, but also on COIN warfare. Clearly TNI-AU knows the advantage of supporting assets on C4ISR, AEW, and Force multiplier like Tankers etc. In this seminar they are clearly shown building AF with only new fighters is not enough.

At 2:45:00 RAAF speaker shown step that you need to build 5th gen warfare capabilities. Seems TNI-AU inviting RAAF speaker to shown that building 5th gen capabilities is not same than just procuring 5th gen Fighter like F-35. This is part I believe on public awareness, as they are talking in media, publics even Political circles on question why spending billions of USD on Rafale and F-15, and not on F-35.

Later part of video shown presentation from Dasault on Rafale 3R and Boeing on F-15IDN. Interesting on TNI-AU part, they shown IFX on slide on preparation building 5th gen capabilities.

So seems program on 4.5th gen clearly aiming for Rafale 3R and F-15IDN, but IFX still in the program. Well lets see how they are going to finance this. As even getting Rafale and F-15 are already stretching budget much. If IFX still progressing, then basically it will replace both F-16 and Flankers.

Sandhi Yudha

This is video from Today seminar on Air Power conducting related toward TNI-AU 76th birthday. This is only 1st half of the seminar, there's 2nd half of the seminar.

However for me, the interesting part is in 2:12:00 when TNI-AU speaker talk on the progress building and preparing TNI-AU for complete Hybrid Warfare. Previous speaker also talking on Hybrid Warfare, and basically shown TNI-AU has to build 4th gen warfare first before can move to 5th gen warfare.

This is one of reason why Indonesian MinDef purchasing 4.5 gen Fighters like Rafale 3R (so the version is not Rafale 4, but seems upgradeable to that) and F-15IDN. The speakers simply say TNI-AU is not ready yet for 5th gen, as the infrastructure development is not ready yet.

One thing interesting what TNI-AU aim on UCAF is that asside for ISR use, but also on COIN warfare. Clearly TNI-AU knows the advantage of supporting assets on C4ISR, AEW, and Force multiplier like Tankers etc. In this seminar they are clearly shown building AF with only new fighters is not enough.

At 2:45:00 RAAF speaker shown step that you need to build 5th gen warfare capabilities. Seems TNI-AU inviting RAAF speaker to shown that building 5th gen capabilities is not same than just procuring 5th gen Fighter like F-35. This is part I believe on public awareness, as they are talking in media, publics even Political circles on question why spending billions of USD on Rafale and F-15, and not on F-35.

Later part of video shown presentation from Dasault on Rafale 3R and Boeing on F-15IDN. Interesting on TNI-AU part, they shown IFX on slide on preparation building 5th gen capabilities.

So seems program on 4.5th gen clearly aiming for Rafale 3R and F-15IDN, but IFX still in the program. Well lets see how they are going to finance this. As even getting Rafale and F-15 are already stretching budget much. If IFX still progressing, then basically it will replace both F-16 and Flankers.
Thank you for sharing.
So, what is the reason that TNI-AU will receive the Rafale F3R instead of F4, because of our limited budget or because the F4-version is too advanced and sophisticated? Will all the 42 Rafales F3-R, or only the first 6?

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
because of our limited budget or because the F4-version is too advanced and sophisticated? Will all the 42 Rafales 3R, or only tge first 6?
I suspect all will be F3R. Because TNI-AU presentation did not mention F4. I suspect this is combination of package and time table. It's upgreadable to F4 anyway.

Sandhi Yudha

I suspect all will be F3R. Because TNI-AU presentation did not mention F4. I suspect this is combination of package and time table. It's upgreadable to F4 anyway.
Well...even the F3-R version will be a formidable fighter with RBE2 AA AESA radar.

Some nice photos from the Vera NG passive sensor, i didn't know it was that tall. Quite an impressive system, with a range of 450 km, it seems to be also accurate.
I wonder how many systems TNI-AU will receive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

From Pindad FB, shown French Safran electronics and defense visit to PINDAD Mk 82 class unguided bomb facilities. This's part of Rafale off set deals for turning the unguided munition toward guided munition using Safran HAMMER modules.

French shown several visits already toward off set deals, from Aero Engine MRO, Avionics and now guided munitions. Shown Rafale deals are gaining tractions on supporting infrastructure.

Frankly speaking if MoF agree on budget for FREMM, Babcock Arrow 140, Scorpene, OPV, for TNI-AL, I still have my reservation they can still provide budget for F-15ID on top Rafale deal (that seems getting more traction).

I know the insistence for F-15ID is as compensation for Indonesia dropping further Flankers deal. It's getting enough hinting in local defense social media that by 2030, both Hawk and Flankers will be drop.

Still Rafale, F-15ID, F-16ID (as call for upgrade version of current F-16 in inventory), and TA-50i (for LIFT and LCA), will need big booster on operational budget to maintain. Unless they can maintain the huge increment on budget, better drop F-15ID and add more Rafale and refurbished F-16 as F-16ID. If they still go with IFX program with KAI, those F-16ID can be replaced by IFX/IF-21 later part on 2030+ (if Indonesia still committing with the project, thus Big 'if').

It's more make sense on budgetary pressure, unless TNI got Political commitment by present and next administration for 1.5%-2.0% GDP budget by end of this decade.

Last edited: