Indonesian Aero News

Ananda

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ananda, thanks for your thoughtful and informative response. Very interesting.

5) 60 F/A 50s all to be delivered by 2014 [not 150 since the rest will be KF-X]
6) The $12 billion F-X phase 3 contract is likely to be reduced in size and consist of either F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters or KAI manufactured F-15SE Silent Eagles. The contract will likely be awarded around 2012, with deliveries perhaps starting in 2014 and completing before 2020.
7) KF-X [partly funded by reducing the procurement order of F/A 50s by 90 aircraft, and partly funded by reducing the size of the F-X phase 3 contract] Current planned development budget is $6 billion [60% South Korean Air Force, 20% Indonesia, 20% other {part of which will likely be Turkey}] In my view the actual development budget will likely be closer to $8 billion.
Well so far the info that I got stated that KF-X will be mass produced by 2020 and the main target to be replaced are the F-5. In sense base on that info, ROKAF will maintain their F-5 fleet untill 2020. In which sense if that strategy happen, ROKAF will not have fighter gap.

Some questions on the KF-X:
A) When will the contract for it be awarded? Will it be awarded after the F-X phase 3 contract is awarded in 2012?
B) How will the life cycle costs compare to an F-16 block 60 for example?
C) How will performance metrics compare with F-16IN {most advanced F-16 variant, more advanced than F-16 block 60}, F-15SE Silent Eagle, Eurofighter Typhoon, Dassault Rafale, Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet Block III
D) When will KF-X start being mass produced and delivered?
The info so far still stated that the contract will be awarded by 2011 or early 2012, and the work on prototype begin on 2012, in which it's hoped by 2015 the first prototype will be ready and other 4 prototype (plan for 5) in 2016. The negotiations seems now getting on 4 prototype build by KAI, and 1 by FI in here. If Turkey join, and perhaps TAI will get 1 prototype while KAI might be reduce to 3 (this's my speculations if Turkey join).

Am I wrong to think that increasing the KF-X development budget will likely lead to lower life cycle costs and greater functionality for the aircraft? If so, why not bring in additional investors to increase the R&D budget? Possible countries that would like a better quality version of the F-16IN with similar spare parts and maintenance training but at a lower price include Japan, Australia, India, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Brazil, Israel, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand.
The questions who will be interested. Not many countries have ambitiions for developing their home grown Fighters Manufacturing capabilities. India already have one, Pakistan already developing FC-17 with China help, none of the Asean countries except Indonesia interested. That's left with very few options and Turkey is one of them.

To change the discussion to light attack COIN:
Are light attack fixed wing turboprop cheaper in life cycle costs relative to combat capacity compared to armed UAVs and Mi35s? Light attack fixed wing turboprop can also serve an Intelligence/Surveillance/Reconnaissance [ISR] role as needed. Even the US military is considering buying a large number of new light attack turboprop aircraft.

I would imagine that having so many moving parts increases the ware and tare on helicopters versus fixed wing turboprop. The vertical take-off and landing plus slower speeds of helicopters might result in lower fuel efficiency and smaller combat radius. Is this correct?
My concern with spesialised COIN was that TNI AU do not have huge budget. Now, they want to bet their fleet with Flankers, and KF-X program will take huge lot of future allocations for TNI-AU. With that in mind, and with their plan for UAV sq, and TNI-AD increasing number of MI-35 and MI-17, I in my oppinion think that the burden of COIN can be take by UAV and Armed Choopers like MI-35. It will not be all fit alternatives, but it's more suitable for TNI-AU conditions especially on budget issue.
Life cost cycle for Russian choopers like MI-35 and MI-17 from my understanding is quite cheap, relative to light fighter.

Another question relates to Indonesia possibly considering a multirole light attack fighter that is cheaper than SAAB JAS-39, F-16C/D Fighting Falcons, Su-30MK2, Su-27 SKM . What aircraft is Indonesia considering?
-F/A 50s? [presumably not unless the KF-X isn't mass produced until the 2020s]
-Chengdu J-10
-JF-17 Thunder
-BAE Hawk 132
-L159
So far for light attack (and can double as LIFT) the leading contenders are T/A-50 and YAK 130.

anan

Well so far the info that I got stated that KF-X will be mass produced by 2020 and the main target to be replaced are the F-5. In sense base on that info, ROKAF will maintain their F-5 fleet untill 2020. In which sense if that strategy happen, ROKAF will not have fighter gap.

The info so far still stated that the contract will be awarded by 2011 or early 2012, and the work on prototype begin on 2012, in which it's hoped by 2015 the first prototype will be ready and other 4 prototype (plan for 5) in 2016. The negotiations seems now getting on 4 prototype build by KAI, and 1 by FI in here. If Turkey join, and perhaps TAI will get 1 prototype while KAI might be reduce to 3 (this's my speculations if Turkey join).

The questions who will be interested. Not many countries have ambitiions for developing their home grown Fighters Manufacturing capabilities. India already have one, Pakistan already developing FC-17 with China help, none of the Asean countries except Indonesia interested. That's left with very few options and Turkey is one of them.

My concern with spesialised COIN was that TNI AU do not have huge budget. Now, they want to bet their fleet with Flankers, and KF-X program will take huge lot of future allocations for TNI-AU. With that in mind, and with their plan for UAV sq, and TNI-AD increasing number of MI-35 and MI-17, I in my oppinion think that the burden of COIN can be take by UAV and Armed Choopers like MI-35. It will not be all fit alternatives, but it's more suitable for TNI-AU conditions especially on budget issue.
Life cost cycle for Russian choopers like MI-35 and MI-17 from my understanding is quite cheap, relative to light fighter.

So far for light attack (and can double as LIFT) the leading contenders are T/A-50 and YAK 130.
Does Indonesia want two seater light attack fighters? [which rules out JF-17.] What is the point of buying a subsonic light attack fighter? Is the life cycle costs and operational cost per mile flown higher for supersonic light attack fighters than for subsonic light attack fighters? Why would the subsonic YAK 130 even be considered versus supersonic F/A 50s, weaponized L-15s, JF-17s, Alenia Aermacchi M-346 Master?[Presumably the weaponized L-15 is better than a weaponized JL-9 Mountain Eagle]

Indonesia's policy of buying many different models with similar capabilities is bizarre. Instead of buying yet another platform [YAK 130], why not buy used F-16 as a bridge until KF-X? Maybe because Indonesia feels that old used F-16s are too expensive to maintain? Perhaps this is the thinking behind considering the T 50, which is similar in maintenance requirements and method of design/contruction to F-16s and the KF-X.

In the interests of aircraft model consolidation, perhaps the Indonesian Air Force would be best off not considering adding new models such as the YAK 130 at all. Rather choose some combination of the following:
-used F-16s [downside is high operational costs and limited shelf life. Positive side is similar operations/maintenance to existing Indonesian F-16s, KF-X]
-T-50 or F/A 50 [downside . . . expensive CAPEX relative to JF-17 or weaponized L-15. Positive side is low operational cost per mile flown for new airframes and similar operations/maintenance to existing Indonesian F-16s, KF-X ]
-additional new or used Sukhoi Su-27s
-additional new or used Sukhoi Su-30s

I would also suggest considering the BAE Hawk 132 since Indonesia already has so many BAE Hawk 209s. However, I don't understand the rationale for buying subsonic light attack fighters with slight multifunction capacity versus paying up for F/A 50s, weaponized L-15s, JF-17s, Alenia Aermacchi M-346 Master. If you fly a supersonic light attack fighter with slight multifunction capability at subsonic speeds, is it really more expensive to operate per mile flown [inclusive of depreciated acquisition and capital cost] than subsonic light attack fighters?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
To change the topic to the KF-X. Many countries are interested in a cheaper aircraft with similar operational requirements as an F-16 that is moderately better than a F-16IN [most advanced version of F-16 being marketed to India.] One obvious example is Iraq. Iraq is already probably buying 18 F-16IQs [more than that in future traunches]:
http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/air-force-aviation/iraqi-air-force-air-defense-8609-5/
Iraq is also best friends forever [bff] with South Korea and Turkey. Iraq would also probably like to court Indonesia. Becoming the 4th full partner of the KF-X would be a great way to assuage Iraqi egos and self images of grandeur. It isn't like Iraq will not have enough money a few years from now.

If not Iraq, why not Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Brazil, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand?

Saudi Arabia is flush with cash and feels very threatened by Iran. Imagine the boost to Saudi ego that comes from being a manufacturer and technology owner of an advanced 4.75 Gen improvement on the F-16 block 60?

UAE might be too wedded to the F-16 block 60 since they already own tech for it and get royalties from F-16 block 60 sales.

Kuwait obviously feels very threatened by Iran.

Brazil is flush with cash. Embraer brings a lot of valuable technology to the table. Brazil also needs new Gen 4.5 fighters.

Why would Malaysia and Singapore not want to own gen 4.75 tech? Maybe OPSSG could explain.

Maybe Thailand is too wedded to the Saab JAS 39 Gripen to join? [Which then begs the question of whether Thailand would want to join Sweden in developing a more advanced version of the Saab JAS 39 Gripen.]

Japan probably has enough Mitsubishi F-2 [94] to meet her short term needs. F-2 already is an advanced permutation of the F-16. A more advanced version of the F-16 would probably be attractive to Japan. However, for KF-X to interest Japan, its R&D budget would have to probably be increased to $20 billion to build a more advanced aircraft. If so, then the Mitsubishi ATD-X project could be merged with KF-X. But you Ananda, are saying that South Korea isn't interested in building an advanced fighter?

India would also be a potential partner with KF-X provided its development budget was increased [which again, Ananda, you are saying is out of the cards.] If India chooses the F-16IN for its 126 MRCA fighter procurement; then India and Japan collaborating on the 5th Gen Mitsubishi ATD-X project makes a lot of sense. I think that merging Mistubishi ATD-X project with India's Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft project makes a lot of sense in general. Note that India's pursuing two different Gen 5 fighters, the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft and the Sukhoi/HAL Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA, which is based on PAK 50.) India and Japan need each other to manage shared perceptions of China.

India will have plenty of advanced 4.5 Gen aircraft with its 126 MRCA competition and 272 Su-30MKIs. Plus India has its own F/A 50 equivalent [HAL Tejas.] It is hard to imagine India buying another 4.5 Gen or even 4.75 Gen fighter. On the other hand, India is likely willing to spend many tens of billions of dollars on Gen 5 fighters.

One way or another, I don't think $6 billion is sufficient for the KF-X development budget. Additional funding needs to be found. Am I right to think that additional development spending is correlated with reduced life cycle costs and improved aircraft quality? I am not clear on the life cycle costs of the KF-X, for example compared with F-16IN or F-16 block 60.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I would be very interested in learning more about the life cycle costs of Mi17s and Mi35s.

Imagine Mi17s are very cheep since they are still manufactured with abundant spare parts and trained maintenance personal. But does anyone have life cycle cost estimates or cost of operation per mile flown estimates?

Are new Mi35s still manufactured? What is their spare parts situation? Availability of trained maintenance personal?

The Afghanistan Air Force [AAF] is looking for countries to volunteer Mi35 trainers [pilot trainers and maintenance personal trainers.] Indonesia is already sending trainers for the Afghan National Police. Indonesia sending Mi35 pilots and maintenance mechanics would be very valuable for Afghanistan. Afghans don't want Russian trainers. Afghans want Indian trainers but Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, China and America don't [suspect Indian Mi35 trainers will show up eventually.] This leaves Afghanistan dependent on a small number of Eastern European trainers and some Americans who don't know the Mi35 very well. Not sure if Indonesia will agree to send Mi35 trainers.

If new Mi35s are still manufactured, and if the spare parts situation is manageable, imagine they would be a good choice for the Indonesian Air Force. [For the Afghan Air Force too.]

Any metrics on Mi35 life cycle costs and operational costs per mile flown?

Ananda

The Bunker Group
@ anan, Mate you've put alot off points and questions, I'm Affraid I don't have the capacity and know how to anwered all of them :). However I'll try my best:

Does Indonesia want two seater light attack fighters? [which rules out JF-17.] What is the point of buying a subsonic light attack fighter? Is the life cycle costs and operational cost per mile flown higher for supersonic light attack fighters than for subsonic light attack fighters? Why would the subsonic YAK 130 even be considered versus supersonic F/A 50s, weaponized L-15s, JF-17s, Alenia Aermacchi M-346 Master?[Presumably the weaponized L-15 is better than a weaponized JL-9 Mountain Eagle]
At This moment, TNI AU have 6 types of Fighters, 3 need to be replaced soon (OV-10, Hawk Mk 53 and F-5), 2 will be maintain until 2020, and 1 will be main High-End assets even after 2020 (Flankers).
Finance ministry according some info in here already told Min-Def and TNI-AU that they should considered rasionalisation of Fighters types since it's considered too many and will not be economics in logistics and maintanances.

The scenarios that I gather so far:
1. Replacing Hawk Mk 53 and F-5 with one type of aircraft (T/A-50 or YAk 130 as main contenders) and OV-10 with another type (with Super Tucano or KO-1), or
2. Replacing OV-10 and Hawk Mk 53 with one type of aircraft (T/A-50 or Yak 130) and F-5 with another (possible F-16 Block 52 or F-16 Block 30 with new MLU modifications).
3. Hawk 109/209 will be maintained up to 2020, and existing F-16 A/B Block 15+ will be further upgrade with new MLU kits. Both aim to be replaced by KF-X by 2020.

Thus by 2020, it's 'possible' in my oppinionthe TNI-AU inventory will be reduce to Three types with Flankers, KF-X or T/A-50/Yak 130/Super Tucano/KO-1 (depends what scenarios will be taken).
If Indonesia is commited to KF-X, and considering the budgets, I Don't think F-16 Block 52 will be an option. Instead existing F-16 will be modified and second hand F-16 with MLU will be acquiared as stop gap until KF-X ready in 2020. Personally I prefered scenarios 2 & 3, thus TNI-AU move away from COIN options and KF-X will replaced Hawk 209/109 fisrt then F-16 later on.

Considerations in procurement of Defense system will not always on Finance and Technical considerations alone. Potential inter-conected with other projects I believe will be considered also by Min-Def and Finance. With South Korea (as example) willing to cooperate with local defense industry (land, air and naval) to help them further developed their manufacturing based, is also considerations that more easily sold politically by Administartions and Parlements.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To change the topic to the KF-X. Many countries are interested in a cheaper aircraft with similar operational requirements as an F-16 that is moderately better than a F-16IN [most advanced version of F-16 being marketed to India.] One obvious example is Iraq. Iraq is already probably buying 18 F-16IQs [more than that in future traunches]:
I have limited info on KF-X except that I gather here and some articles in South Korean media. However from what I gather, South Korea and KAI still actively pursue foreign partners besides Indonesia. However as I put it before, not all nations with potential resources willing/have ambitions to build their own Fighters manufacturing capabilities locally.
Also not all nations have simmilar requairements (eventhough in the out set have simmilarity) that they willing to join KAI concepts. Since afterall KF-X still an uproven concepts, and not all of them willing to join 'a concepts' project. Nation like Brasil perhaps pursue join manufacturing on proven Fighters, while India besides already have one, also considered able to go alone or with more proven partners.

Indonesia willing to be involve with KF-X due to realisations build own figthers concepts from scratch will be beyons our present capabilities and resources, whille South Korea offer a package that not only limited in one fighters development projects.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I would be very interested in learning more about the life cycle costs of Mi17s and Mi35s.
Sorry mate, I don't have detail life cycle costs comparisons on MI-35 and MI-17. However the Army (TNI-AD) seems happy with them, and sevearal of their publications indicated they found MI-35 and MI-17 cheap to run and can offered the capabilities that simmilar with more expensives Western equivalent.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once again, India is not a likely KF-X partner. They are currently set to have ~270 MKIs, 126 MMRCA, ~110 MiG-29 all variants, and an unknown but guessed around 150-200 number of PAK-FA. Where you see room for another type is beyond me. Especially when they're already invested in the PAK-FA.

The Mi-35 is indeed in production, and spares are generally easy to come by since it's interchangeable largely with older hind models, which are quite common in the third world. Even if Russian sources are unreliable, spares should be acquirable. The Mi-17 and Mi-24(Mi-35) are both known for being cheap, and highly capable helos. I would imagine they are an excellent choice for Indonesia, as they have been for many other third world countries.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Indonesia Wants ToT for Super Tucano

From Antara News Agency with Google Translate:

Jakarta - The Ministry of Defence is working on the transfer of technology in the procurement of aircraft "Super Tucano EMB-314" which will replace the OV-10 Bronco TNI Air Force, said Secretary General of the Ministry of Defence Air Marshal TNI Associate Herryanto Eris on Wednesday.

Told Antara he argues, the clause regarding the transfer of technology that will be included in procurement contracts of 16 units of "Super Tucano" for the TNI Air Force. "Because of that, it still takes time for the contract is completed and the procurement of the Super Tucano` `can be implemented immediately," said Eris.

He reveals, the Embraer of Brazil as a producer of "Super Tucano" only allow PT DI to complete a number of non-aeronautical work. While Min-Def RI especially PT DI want, Embraer give permission for the manufacture of aircraft parts.

"That way, if at any time TNI Air Force as a user, requiring aircraft parts will be faster and cheaper. We need not have to wait long. This is what we are still negotiating. Once agreed by both parties, we enter the new contract there is no basis for law is clear and no problems arise in the future, "said Eris.

He added, it understands the needs of the TNI Air Force to immediately replace the OV-10 aircraft that have long dihanggarkan but the MoD would not rash. "The government has established in every major appliance purchase weapons systems from abroad, must include the transfer of technology. It is being made also in procuring the Super Tucano aircraft and others," said Eris asserted.

Previously, Assistant Planning Staff of the Air Force chief Air Marshal TNI Ery Biatmoko Young said, in the period 2005-2024 TNI Air Force plans to replace a number of fighter and transport aircraft that has entered the service life of 20-30 years, such as OV-10 Bronco is now in - "grounded", Hawk MK-53, F-5 Tiger and F-16 Fighting Falcon. To substitute Hawk MK-53, then the TNI Headquarters Air Force proposed three types of aircraft that have been tried the T-50, Yak 130 of Russia and the Czech L-159B.

He argues, procurement of substitute for OV-10 Bronco is urgent considering the tactical fighter aircraft made by North American Rockwell had been grounded since mid 2007. ""If too long, sorry for the brothers of our aviators. So, if faster is better. The ability of our pilots awake and operational readiness are also increasing," said Ery encountered in the workplace.

Indonesia began to use that plane since 1976, and proved to be effective when deployed in military operations in East Timor, Aceh and West Kalimantan.

Current activities at the Air Squadron 21st Air Base Abdurahman Saleh, Malang, which is the headquarters of OV-10 Bronco, just simply maintain existing planes. The pilot Bronco OV-1o now maintain the ability of flying with an instructor or undergo conversion to other aircraft types.

( Antara )
Unconfirmed report from DI Sources (read it on local forum) stated that KAI already approaching DI/IAe for sub-lincense on KO-1. In Short KAI willing for IAe to produce much parts of KO-1 locally. However KO-1 still an unproven aircraft.
The News above indicated that Super Tucano eventhough much prefered by TNI-AU, still not a done deal, and the influences for DI/IAe to get sub contract on Super Tucano can be the determine factor whether Super Tucano or KO-1 will come as winner.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
They Have Plan, Now They Plan For The Money

From Flight Global : Indonesian military plans major procurement drive

Indonesia plans to embark on a procurement drive over the next five years to modernise its armed forces, with the purchase of new aircraft for the air force and army high on the list of priorities.

Around 150 trillion Indonesian rupiah ($16.8 billion) is required over the next five years for the modernisation, says defence minister Purnomo Yusgiantoro. The government aims to provide two-thirds of this sum, with the remainder to be covered by loans, he adds.

Foremost on the shopping list will be new fighters, transport aircraft and utility and search and rescue helicopters, say industry sources. Upgrades to existing aircraft could also be on the cards. The challenge, however, is finding the budget for all of this, they add.

Additional Sukhoi fighters are a priority for the Indonesian air force, with chief of staff Air Chief Marshal Imam Sufaat saying that the country could buy another six Su-30s. Jakarta has taken delivery of all 10 Su-27 and Su-30MK/MK2 fighters that it ordered earlier this decade, with the last aircraft having arrived in mid-September.

"The existing squadron of Sukhois remains insufficient to give a deterrent effect given our vast territory," Imam told the Antara news agency, adding that the proposal to acquire more had been approved by Indonesian president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.

These would complement the service's existing Northrop F-5s and Lockheed Martin Block 15 F-16A/Bs, the latter of which have also been considered for upgrade.

Jakarta has also given the nod to a joint venture between Indonesian Aerospace and Korea Aerospace Industries, paving the way for the two companies to co-operate on Seoul's KF-X fighter programme. The South Korean government will fund 60% of the costs, while KAI and Indonesia's defence ministry will contribute 20% each.

South Korea plans to procure around 200 of the fighters to replace its F-5s and Indonesia is expected to buy 50 for its air force. Jakarta hopes that its aircraft will be manufactured in-country by IAe, with the first examples to roll off the assembly line in 2020.

Indonesia has also been looking to upgrade some of its transport aircraft and buy either new or refurbished ones. There is growing pressure on the government to move on this, especially after high profile crashes involving a Lockheed C-130B and a Fokker F27 last year. The military also wants progress, given the necessity to move troops around the vast archipelago.

Eurocopter and IAe have also agreed to set up an assembly line for the Super Puma MkII in Bandung. Serial production is due to begin in 2011, with Indonesia viewed as a potentially lucrative market for helicopter manufacturers.

Apart from utility and transport helicopters, Jakarta is also keen on search and rescue and anti-submarine warfare helicopters, sources say. This will help the military to both look after the country's vast territory and be prepared for the natural disasters that strike the country occasionally.
That IDR 150 Trillion budget (USD 16.5 bio on todays exchange rate) already confirmed by the Finance Ministry with IDR 100 Trillion (USD 11.1 bio) confirmed by Gov't budget whille the rest USD 5.4 bio will come from external sources. MInister of Finance hopping at least 40% to 50% of USD 5.4 bio will come from Domestic Banks Syndications while the rest will come from Export Credits.

Air Force and the Navy will got bulk of new procurements, whille the Army got more locally build Armoured Vehicles from APC to currently developed (with South Korea) wheeled IFV, and Pindad Field Howitzer (developed from Oto Melara based). No MBT (at least up until now being discussed).

Sandhi Yudha

Hopefully it will not stuck as just a plan, because money is always a problem with defence acquisitions. Besides second hand C130s, our goverment can also invest in the development of a improved/new generation CN235.
BTW, i have never understand why our President dont use the CN235 as the Presidential airplane. Pakistan, Korsel and even Malaysia use it as a VVIP aircraft.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
BTW, i have never understand why our President dont use the CN235 as the Presidential airplane. Pakistan, Korsel and even Malaysia use it as a VVIP aircraft.
CN 235 as Presidential plane ? that plane (as airliner) can only went up to 1000 km ( that's Jakarta - Surabaya range), hardly convenient for President to go cross country let alone conduct International visits. Besides, I've a missfortune to once take CN 235 airliner when Merpati still using it at mid 90's. Hardly entertaining experiences for a Airliner :D

CN 235 is relatively good short-mid range transport, but no more than that. That's why CASA & DI have difficulty to sell CN 235 as Airliner. Nearly 90% of CN 235 populations are as Military Transport, which CN 235 found considerable sucess on that catagory.

Can't put much more than that. DI on 2005-2006 heard try to offered to Min-Def a military versions on N 250 as transport. Unconfirmed report (sorry no online sources) from DI sources told some local media that the plan include modified rear end of N-250 with loading ramp. This potentialy put that N 250 Military Transport to head to head with Alenia C-27.

However they need at least 50-60 firm orders to get break even. That's the problem come. Who's going to take that order. TNI-AU did not have that much capability to absorb. Look at CN 235, at most at this moment only 20 something CN 235 on the Armed forces. Most on TNI AU, and some on TNI AL.
Habibie have a dream on this N 250 Military transport, that's why he made DI to back down on C-295 project when CASA offered DI to enlarge CN 235. Look on the plan N-219, they (DI) need 40 planes to break even since this is a small short range transport. even that it's hard for Government to absorb that, since even we can absorb, however how the future sell will be ? With limited budget, this is not a viable project to pursue. That's why DI eventually get together again with CASA/EADS to produce C-212-400, and got a deal with EADS to move all C-212-400 facility to DI Bandung site. With that I belive put N-219 poject on the lid (at least for some time) since N-219 and C-212-400 basically targeted the same market.

Indonesia simply can't provide Credit Export for DI planes, which in turn why DI planes design are hard to turn into manufacturing projects due to our incapability to marketed then properly. And marketed them properly need a huge budget from getting airworthy licenses to Providing Credit Line. In other word, that budget can be used to support other Defense Industry like PAL and PINDAD, let alone being absorb most of that to only one DI own initiative project.

That's the problem with an Aircraft Industry. You perhaps have the ability to design and build the plane. But founding the marketed and 'Financed' your market penetrations is the other thing around. Sorry I'm blabering on DI a bit :) Just to show that for sometime DI ability to survivewas more doing more sub-contract jobs, and Cooperate with other Aircraft Industry players for join development. That's why KF-X opportunity is being taken, in order to provide DI with more experiences on up to date design project, whille in the same time on relative obtainable and affordable budget as Junior Partner.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Sorry Ananda, i was forgotten to write down an important part of the sentence, becasue i was in a rush.
It should be "BTW, i have never understand why our President dont use the CN235 as the Presidential airplane for visits inside Indonesia."
Yhe maximum range of a CN235-220 can be a far as 3070km. A modified/updated CN235 without rampdoor maybe even further. But ofcourse, our president will use the A330s from Garuda for voyages abroad.

Updating the Cn235 shouldn't cost as much as modifying the N250.
The F27s and F28s of TNI-AU and the CN235-10s, F27s and F28 of Merpati becomes old, so i expect 30 pcs should be possible at least.
Just a small part of the $17M has to be possible....

BTW, do you know when IPTN starts to build the NC212-400? For more than a year magazines like Angkasa or newspapers are just telling "DI has the plan to...." but no dates...

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Sorry Ananda, i was forgotten to write down an important part of the sentence, becasue i was in a rush.
It should be "BTW, i have never understand why our President dont use the CN235 as the Presidential airplane for visits inside Indonesia."

BTW, do you know when IPTN starts to build the NC212-400? For more than a year magazines like Angkasa or newspapers are just telling "DI has the plan to...." but no dates...
Well, the CN 235 that's been used by Merpati is without the ramp door. However personally with experiences having been on Turboprop Airliners like CN 235, F-27 and ATR, I enjoyed the CN 235 experiences the least. CN 235 is a good Flying Truck, but not a comfortable turboprop airliner, no matter how much modifications being made. It's just simply design more (in my oppinion) as flying truck, no matter how much DI and CASA publicly said.

Besides Indonesia is Fast Archipelago, Jakarta to Jayapura takes nearly the same time with Jakarta to Hongkong. Thus the President ussually used Garuda's 737 NG to commute within Indonesia and Regionally.
Politically the issue on Presidential Planes is very sensitive, eventhough Operational wise it's more efficient on my thinking to have dedicated Presidential Planes rather than having to 'rent' Garuda's plane. The candidate's 737 Business (based from 737-700 with 737-900 wings), and already modified enough which in theory can cross Pacific from Jakarta to Honolulu. The Budget is already set asside, however Politically I Don't Think this Administrations willing to bet their Political Fortune on getiing Presidential Plane soon.

On C-212-400, Just like you said, the info in here already said that all the C-212 manufacturing facility already been transfered to Bandung DI's site from Spain. It's being circulated that the first C-212-400 being produced this year for a Domestic charter Airline. Well that's the lattest Info that I gor on C-212-400 in DI.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
C-130 B Refurbishement Continues

Malang (Antara) - The rejuvenation program four C-130 Hercules aircraft still leaves problems with the avionics and non-avionics systems.

Airbase Kadislog Asfan Jauhari Abdurahman Saleh to the Deputy Secretary of Defense Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin, in Malang, said Thursday that several issues had been delivered to Singapore.

In 2005 Indonesia made rejuvenation of four C-130 Hercules aircraft type B which was "home base" in the Air Squadron 32, each numbered tail A-1302, A-1305, A-1308 and A-1312.

Of the four aircraft, two undergoing renovation at 10 Depot Maintenance Air Base and Depot 30 Husein Sastranegara Abdurahman Saleh Airbase. The other two in Singapore. Refurbishment Packages includes improvements Airframe (fuselage), engine modifications and avionics modifications.

However, continued Asfan, there are some problems remaining from the results of the retrofit.
Problem was, among others, auto pilot and a corrupt pointer component plane traffic that is not sufficient if damaged, he said.

In phase II retrofit program, there are five similar aircraft that will be filed namely A-1303, A-1304, A-1309 and 1310. All five will be retrofit in Indonesia, namely in Depot Maintenance of 10 and 30 TNI Air Force.

On that occasion, the Deputy Defense Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin conduct examination on a Hercules unit retrofit results (A-1308) and one unit of Hercules which will be retrofitted
Well according to this, all remaining C-130 B (9 from original 12) will be refurbished on which according other Media to be H Standard. While the C-130 H on TNI AU inventory already begin modifications on Avionics (primary) in US.

BTW, Found an article on local media in here, that's say on Farnborough the TNI AU delegates was being offered by Airbus on A-400 M packages in which translate to USD 110 mio per Aircraft. That's number is simmilar to C-130 J packages. Can any body confirm whether A-400 M packages (in financial value) is simmilar to C-130 J ? (just claim by local media in here).

Don't say TNI AU will buy A-400 M, but ifthe packages of A-400 M simmilar to C-130 J, and with A-400 M twice capabilities toward Herc J's..well it's going to be tough sell by J's in the future.

Sandhi Yudha

Well according to this, all remaining C-130 B (9 from original 12) will be refurbished on which according other Media to be H Standard. While the C-130 H on TNI AU inventory already begin modifications on Avionics (primary) in US.

BTW, Found an article on local media in here, that's say on Farnborough the TNI AU delegates was being offered by Airbus on A-400 M packages in which translate to USD 110 mio per Aircraft. That's number is simmilar to C-130 J packages. Can any body confirm whether A-400 M packages (in financial value) is simmilar to C-130 J ? (just claim by local media in here).

Don't say TNI AU will buy A-400 M, but ifthe packages of A-400 M simmilar to C-130 J, and with A-400 M twice capabilities toward Herc J's..well it's going to be tough sell by J's in the future.
Thanks for the info. According to Angkasa three C-130Hs will be send to the US.

BTW, the Cn235-10s from Merpati have a rampdoor, but normally only the upper halve is used for loading and unlaoding the baggage.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Indonesian First UAV Sq's Underway

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - TNI quickly build a squadron of reconnaissance aircraft to secure the entire territory of Indonesia, especially in the border land, sea, or air.

"The plan, four unmanned reconnaissance aircraft will arrive in mid 2011, from a squadron that is planned," the source said AFP at TNI headquarters in Jakarta, Saturday.

He added that the squadron of unmanned reconnaissance aircraft that will be based in Pontianak Supadio Air Base, but operate under the National Air Defense Command (Kohanudnas) TNI Headquarters.

Personnel who operate not much, about two people to monitor the entire territory of the Unitary Republic of Indonesia, especially at the border by land, sea and air.

Unmanned reconnaissance aircraft that can operate five to six hours per day.

"So we want to monitor areas such as central Indonesia, we can fly to Tarakan, return to Pontianak. As for the other regions in Indonesia," he said.

Commission I support the establishment of the squadron aircraft without crew (UAVs) which will be built on the foundation of the Air Force Air (air base) Supadio.

He said the squadron of unmanned reconnaissance aircraft is one solution to keep the RI especially in the border region.

In addition to unmanned reconnaissance aircraft, the military also plans to add a radar in the three regions in eastern Indonesia in maximizing the security of the territory of the Unitary Republic of Indonesia.

He did not mention what kind unmanned aircraft that have been ordered by the military and where the main tool that shipped weapons systems.

( Antara )
Other news stated that the Comm 1 of Indonesian Parlements agree with the Budget simultanously with the Budget for Super Tucano. However Super Tucano procurements still being hindered by the demand from DI to Embraer for Sub Contract agreement for parts manufacturing.

The UAV will be stationed (as plan) on Pontianak (West Kalimantan/Borneo) on same air base with Hawk 200. Whille the planned Super Tucano supposed to be on East Kalimantan (Tarakan) Near Malaysian Borneo border.

It will be interesting to find out which UAV being choosed. TNI-AU specifications was minimum MALE catagory, whille local Industry still has not been capable (so far) to come out with MALE UAV that meet TNI AU catagory.

Sandhi Yudha

Other news stated that the Comm 1 of Indonesian Parlements agree with the Budget simultanously with the Budget for Super Tucano. However Super Tucano procurements still being hindered by the demand from DI to Embraer for Sub Contract agreement for parts manufacturing.

The UAV will be stationed (as plan) on Pontianak (West Kalimantan/Borneo) on same air base with Hawk 200. Whille the planned Super Tucano supposed to be on East Kalimantan (Tarakan) Near Malaysian Borneo border.

It will be interesting to find out which UAV being choosed. TNI-AU specifications was minimum MALE catagory, whille local Industry still has not been capable (so far) to come out with MALE UAV that meet TNI AU catagory.
Yes, i've read about the UAV, and i was also thinking what type of UAV (bought from which country). The could be two reasons:
1. Its just still a plan (cuman rencana karena nga ada dana)
2. We have bought them from a country we dont even recognise. (Negara yg tidak diakui sama kita, that would be very munafik)

I still hoping TNI-AU will get the KO-1 in stead of the Super Tucano.....it will be stupid, dumb and unlogic to choose again a dfferent new aircraft type....

Ananda

The Bunker Group
I still hoping TNI-AU will get the KO-1 in stead of the Super Tucano.....it will be stupid, dumb and unlogic to choose again a dfferent new aircraft type....
Who says our Armed Forces procurement's already free from "Illogical" behaviour :D Well the actual moved by the other Ministry (Finance and State Enterprises) to link purchase of Super Tucano with the deal to DI, I suspect is a move to further stall the Air Force insistances on Super Tucano. From DI sources says that Embrear still hessitances to give sub-license deal to DI, whille KAI show more willingness.

The only strong arguments from the Air Force on Super Tucano is that SuperTucano already flying and operational, whille KO-1 still has not.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Obama's F-16 Deal

From Kompas Newspaper with Google Translate:

Jakarta, Kompas - Opening of the relationship of the Special Forces Command Army and grant F-16s become an important agenda in the areas of defense that will be followed related to the arrival of U.S. President Barack Obama to Indonesia, this November.

”"When Secretary of Defense (Robert) Gates over here, there are plans to gradually open cooperation, it has entered the operational phase," said Defence Minister Purnomo Yusgiantoro on Thursday (4 / 11). The meeting with Gates was followed by sending the team together.

According to him, the Indonesian Government has formed a team consisting of Head of Ministry of Defense R&D, to discuss the agenda of everything to talk about Obama's arrival. "The main agenda, Kopassus gradual cooperation with the U.S. Government, especially for special training," said the Min-Def's Head of R & D Hutabarat.

Indonesia is also trying to get the F-16 fighter aircraft from the U.S used Inventory. The plane will be given to Indonesia because the U.S. has increased the grade plane to the latest gen F-16 and others. However, "We must do the retrofit. Conducted in the U.S. and the price is one third of the price of the plane, "said Pos Hutabarat.
According to sources from Min-Def, the deal plan to consists of 24 F-16 C/D Block 32, and also MLU kit for existing 10 F-16 A/B Block 15+. This then will replace the F-5 and Improved the existing F-16 sq. The costs of those deal (24 Block 32 MLU and 10 MLU kit for existing F-16 Block 15 +) will be simmilar with getting 12 brand new Block 52.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

From Kompas Newspaper with Google Translate:

According to sources from Min-Def, the deal plan to consists of 24 F-16 C/D Block 32, and also MLU kit for existing 10 F-16 A/B Block 15+. This then will replace the F-5 and Improved the existing F-16 sq. The costs of those deal (24 Block 32 MLU and 10 MLU kit for existing F-16 Block 15 +) will be simmilar with getting 12 brand new Block 52.
Thanks fr the news Ananda!
Block 30/32 added two new engines -- Block 30 designates a General Electric F110-GE-100 engine, and Block 32 designates a Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-220 engine. Block 30/32 can carry the AGM-45 Shrike and the AGM-88A HARM, and like the Block 25, it can carry the AGM-65 Maverick.

Engine
Block 32 F-16C's have the P&W F100-PW-220 engine, which offered a thrust of 23,770 pounds. It was slightly less powerful than the F100-PW-200, but was much more reliable and less prone to stagnation stalling. In addition, the inlet of both variants, always a major contributor to the F-16s radar cross section (RCS), has been specially treated with several radar absorbing material (RAM) coatings, which radically reduces its detectability.

Production

Manufacturing of the Block 30/32 batch began in January of 1986, with the first of 733 deliveries taking place in July of 1987. Production ended in 1989. Block 30/32 aircraft were delivered to the USAF, USNavy, Turkey, Israel, Greece, Egypt and South Korea.
So, compared to the F16A/B Block 15 OCU, the Block 32 has these imprvements:

- A more reliable engine
- A Northrop Grumman ESSD (previously known as Westinghouse) AN/APG-68(V) radar, offering increased range, expanded operating modes, improved ECCM capability and sharper resolution.
- MIL STD-1760 data bus/weapons interface allowing the use of AGM-65D Maverick and AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles.
- And much more

So together with the fact that the Block 30/32 can carry the AGM-45 Shrike and the AGM-88A HARM, and like the Block 25, it can carry the AGM-65 Maverick and AIM-120, it means a huge improvement.
But are the US willing t sell us AGM-45s, AGM-88As and AIM-120s, or are we only allowed to buy the aircrafts without better armaments?
"You are only allowed to spend a lot of money, but you have to stay weak"
Such aquisition is useless for us....

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Thanks fr the news Ananda!
So together with the fact that the Block 30/32 can carry the AGM-45 Shrike and the AGM-88A HARM, and like the Block 25, it can carry the AGM-65 Maverick and AIM-120, it means a huge improvement.
But are the US willing t sell us AGM-45s, AGM-88As and AIM-120s, or are we only allowed to buy the aircrafts without better armaments?
"You are only allowed to spend a lot of money, but you have to stay weak"
Such aquisition is useless for us....
Well, the Fighter Packages and Weapons Packages usually discussed on seperate deal. Like the Flankers..many on Indonesian forum already claim we got Vympel R-27 AE and Vympel R-27 P in which equivalent to Amraam and Shrike. Still no confirmation so far. TNI and Mindef ussually more guarded on confirmation of what missiles TNI already had or trying to get to the Inventory compared to other hard ware info.

It will be interesting though if the deal of those F-16 come through, but being Armed with Vympel R-27 (whether AE or P versions). PAL now (at leats on company's sources info) trying and conducting integrations of Russian and Chinese SSM to the basically western origin electronics on the Van Speijk/A. Yani and FPB-57. Whether Di/IAe also able to conduct the integrations of Russian missiles to US planes, will be interesting to follow.

Anyway, they way I see it, this F-16 deal will be a stop gap untill we can get KF-X. Kompas news paper claim that the offered F-16 Block 32 and existing F-16 Block 15+ on TNI AU on the deal will be all upgrade to Block 50 standard. Even claim that the offer for F-16 Block 32 actually comes free, however the costs on MLU to Block 50 (or 52) will be significant enough (close to half of brand new Block 52).
This deal basically to improved existing F-16 sq and replacement of F-5. How's it's going to be armed, well that's another deal.

Sandhi Yudha

Indonesia to buy attack aircraft, bombs

Novan Iman Santosa, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Thu, 11/04/2010 10:24 PM

The government is set to sign a number of memorandums of understanding on defense equipment acquisitions involving a number of domestic strategic and defense companies.

Defense Minister Purnomo Yusgiantoro said the MoUs would be signed on the opening day of the Indo Defense, which is to be held at the Jakarta International Expo in Kemayoran, Central Jakarta, on Nov. 10-13.

Purnomo said the MoUs included the purchase of two standard squadrons of Super Tucano light attack aircraft to replace the Air Force’s aging OV-10 Broncos.

“We will include state aircraft maker PT Dirgantara Indonesia [DI] for maintenance work. We also hope DI can manufacture some of the parts and components,” he said.

Other MoUs to be signed include the purchase of P-100 and P-100L bombs locally made by a Malang in East Java-based private company in cooperation with state arms and munitions maker PT Pindad.

The bombs are armaments for the Air Force’s fleet of Russian made Sukhoi Su-27/30 fighters jets.

We also hope DI can manufacture some of the parts and components,” he said.
If we buy the KO-1, that chance will be bigger....
Sometimes i really think they choose the Super Tucano because of the uang sogok....