Indonesia: 'green water navy'

JoeRagan

From "Detik News" with Google Translate

At last, after 52 years as TNI AL main training ships, the "Tall Ship" KRI Dewarutji will be passes away in near future. Just wandering if there's still relatively new "Tall Ship" in the market to replace her.

Dear Ananda,

First I want to thank you. You read my mind correctly about the LPD. Of course, size matter but additional electronic equipments are really necessary?. O f which by installing these gadgets will put the price tags so high.

Secondly, to replace Dewaruci, why can't PAL design training ship based on Pinisi? And build from zero up ? With some imaginazation, who knows 3 masts or 4 masts Pinisi will be the next TNI AL Training ship !!!

Regards,
Joe Ragan
ex Buah Batu Boys in the 50s

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Secondly, to replace Dewaruci, why can't PAL design training ship based on Pinisi? And build from zero up ? With some imaginazation, who knows 3 masts or 4 masts Pinisi will be the next TNI AL Training ship !!!

Regards,
Joe Ragan
ex Buah Batu Boys in the 50s
Joe Ragan..What you suggest theoritically can be done..however it will faced several problems:

1. We still do not know what is the TNI AL wants for Dewarutji replacements. TNI AL know have two training ships Dewarutji which is a 'Tall Ships' and Ki Hadjar Dewantoro which clasiffied as Training Ships but actually a fully operational relative modern warship (Frigates). Dewarutji supposed to geve the cadets basic shipmanships while in the same time can also used as International envoys of the Navy while the Frigates trained them for more advanced modern warships environment. In Thus I don't know if a modified Phinisi can fulfill what the TNI AL needs.
2. Dewarutji according to the specs from its builders is an Ocean Going 3 masts Brigantines. Phinisi in the mean time mostly is 'Insullar'/Inter islands sail cargo ships. It's recorded that in the 19th and early 20th century, the Bugis sailors still uses larger Phinisi for traded to China (across south china sea) and India (across bay of Benggal). However current Phinisi that're still builds only conducts insullar trading and the farthest they sailed was nothern coast of Australia for fishing (and occasionaly smugling Illegal Imigrants).
3. Building large sail 'Tall Ships' according a friend of mine whose in Leisure Ships/Boats business was a questions of 'Craftmanship' and not manufacturing abillity. From what I heard the craft of building large ocean going sailing ships now only rested on a few spesialised players in this world. Even that is much shrinking in the numbers since no much order for that kind of ships anymore, that most modern ships/naval manufactures already left that ability. On the other hand if a modern shipyard like PT PAL wants to make that kind of ships, I think it will proved inefficients and going to be costly, since they have to invest and provide resources for what could be only a 'one time job'.

That's why I said it will be interesting to see what kind of Replacements that TNI AL will found for Dewarutji.

JoeRagan

Joe Ragan..What you suggest theoritically can be done..however it will faced several problems:

2. Dewarutji according to the specs from its builders is an Ocean Going 3 masts Brigantines. Phinisi in the mean time mostly is 'Insullar'/Inter islands sail cargo ships. It's recorded that in the 19th and early 20th century, the Bugis sailors still uses larger Phinisi for traded to China (across south china sea) and India (across bay of Benggal). However current Phinisi that're still builds only conducts insullar trading and the farthest they sailed was nothern coast of Australia for fishing (and occasionaly smugling Illegal Imigrants).
3. Building large sail 'Tall Ships' according a friend of mine whose in Leisure Ships/Boats business was a questions of 'Craftmanship' and not manufacturing abillity.

That's why I said it will be interesting to see what kind of Replacements that TNI AL will found for Dewarutji.
Thousands of Pinisi ships plying the waters of Indonesia proved that this type of ships are suitable for Indonesian water.
Also proven that persons with the required " craftsmanship" to build this type of ship is still around.
One way to keep this "craftmanship" around for years to come, is tthat TNi Al placxes order of several Pinisi ship to be build. It will be ideal if PAL and ITS Perkapalan and the traditionil Pinisi ships builders get to gether. To look for a better way to build Pinisi Ship using less Ulin Timber and more new tech materials. Such as fibergalss, plastic materials and plastic coating, etc, etc.
I hope this will be in reality isoon.
JR

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Thousands of Pinisi ships plying the waters of Indonesia proved that this type of ships are suitable for Indonesian water.
Also proven that persons with the required " craftsmanship" to build this type of ship is still around.
JR
JoeRagan..like I said before Phinisi is already proven as "insular" cargo sail ships. It's proven versatile and cost effective for inter islands tarding. However like I said before, Dewarutji it self is an "Ocean Going" Brigantine. Remmember that Dewarutji also have functions as TNI AL International envoys, thus as she already proved, she and her replacement need to conducts long range ocean crossing cruises.

This what I said that modifying Phinisi as Dewarutji replacements will not be a simple matters. Craftmanships to build Phinisi still around, however I have read from some sources, that even now the current South Sulawesi boat builders have some worries that they may have lost the craftmanship in building long range Phinisi (that used) to cross Bay of Benggal and South China sea in trading with Indian and Chinese ports, as their forefathers did.

PS: I'm no expert on ships or shipbuilding, however I can only say that building a sail ships by PT Pal, especially an ocean going Tall Ships wil requiare adjustments on their capacity let alone building Tall Ships are man power extensives. Something that will 'sap' PT Pal efficiency, in the time they have to improve their production costs. PT Pal at this moment was not a cost efficient shipyard by modern standard. They're making progress but still have quite a long way to go. I know that since I'm one of their Banker.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
TNI AL Set Priorities for 2010 Procurement

From KOMPAS Newspaper, with Google Translations.

JAKARTA - The Indonesian Navy set some priorities for weapon systems. One of the important is the replacement training ship KRI Dewaruci.

This was mentioned by Naval Chief of Staff Vice Admiral Agus Suhartono during the Anniversary celebration of the 47th Corps Navy Women in Jakarta, Tuesday (5 / 1). KRI Dewaruci is training ship for the Naval Academy cadets, which is the largest sailing ship owned by TNI AL. The ship is based in Surabaya was created in 1953.

Procurement alutsista still adheres to the defense posture of minimum essential force. Based on the posture, it is expected there are some additional alutsista. Currently have already processed; missile light frigates (PKR), fast missile boats (KCR), and Oceanographic surveys ship.

In addition to the ship, 17 tanks BMP 3F for the marines will also be coming from Russia this year. "We have also signed a contract with PT Dirgantara Indonesia for three aircraft CN235 MPA. The manufacturing of planes began work end of last year and will took 24 months to complete, "said Agus.

Navy also plans to optimize the use the ships landing platform dock (LPD) and landing ship tanks (LSTs). In collaboration with PT PAL and with funding from domestic sources, will build replacements for 6 ex USN LST.

The Navy also plans to downsizing of the number of ships types for logistics reasons. Thus, the type of ship that had a wide variance became smaller and thus more efficient for the logistics. This is not easily recognized because of the many types of ships that must be done gradually.
Good news is, like the Air Force, the Navy also realize they already have too many types of different ships and came from too many sources.
For all its worth, Indonesian Military procurements practices and philosophy become more sensisbles and more orderlly durring the present administrations.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
PT DI (Indonesian Aerospace) Develop Hovercraft Amphibious Vehicles

From Suara Merdeka with Google Translation:

Bandung: Not only focus on processing and manufacturing aircraft components, PT Dirgantara Indonesia (DI) also began to focus work on multipurpose vehicle variants. For about two years, the Special Vehicle Div. has developed hovercraft for amphibious operation which was considered necessary in Indonesia based on its characteristics.

The need for a multipurpose vehicle that seemed more meaningful when the hovercraft of the United States operated direct from the sea with a number of heavy equipment and logistical needs of the Coast of Aceh Meulaboh when the tsunami happened in five years ago.

This capability inspired the birth of this locally made Hovercraft. This was recognized by the Spokesman PT DI, Rakhendi Triyatna. According to him, a prototype unit has been completed.

"At present, we are working on two units of the army orders," he said in Bandung, Monday (2 / 1). Described Rakhendi, design and mastering the technology is not separated from the ability of experts and employees of PT DI. Factory-built hovercraft dimensional has 22 meters long with a width of 11 meters. High overall structure reaches 5.7 meters. This deemed suitable with Makasar class LPD weel docks.

Vehicle called Hovercraft Landing Utility (LHU) IHOV-20 TM was able to spend up to 40 knots. In operation, the hovercraft from the company based in Bandung that can also operated for 5.2 hours. For that, the fuel intake reached 313 liters per hour. Power pack based on 2 X Marine Diesel Engines 1550 HP.

Vehicles outside the main business of PT DI that can carry loads up to 20 tons. That means IHOV-20 TM afford such heavy loaded 15 ton backhoe for handling such disasters, especially in the area of the archipelago.

To support the battle as part of weapon system, hovercraft are also ready to rely on. Field fit in the middle of the hovercraft able to park one unit or Scorpion 90 Light Tank. If not, the field was open for loading a truck unit and also two tactical vehicles.

According to Rakhendi, LHU's costs $ 5 Million U.S. Dollars per unit. It is expected that innovation can answer the market needs not only limited to military purposes. Because the hovercraft was presented to answer the field conditions in the country.
With support from the present Administrations that any Weapon System that can be manufactured inside Indonesia has to be sourced locally, the development of new weapon system seems more fasten by local industry.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
^Ananda, the fact that the hovercraft fit in the Makasar class is a good basic requirement and they solve the initial problem of beaching and landing backhoes which are versatile little machines. However, my initial reaction is that I don't like the low specification that the hovercraft can only carry up to 20 tons (though most craft can take loads a little above their base design margin). A number of the '20 ton' class excavators in use are actually 20 to 21 tons (btw, the Korean brands in the '20 ton' class are actually 18 to 20 tons).

PT DI seem to be saying that this craft is good for carrying backhoes but not really good for carrying the most common excavators in use in Indonesia. More importantly, because of load limitations, it can't carry excavators with special attachments (like hydraulic hammers and so on) which are needed for rescue and demolition purposes. BTW, the market leader for excavators in Indonesia is Komatsu with about 30+% of the Indonesian market in the '20 ton' class. Together with Caterpillar, these two companies own more than 65% of the Indonesian market in the '20 ton' class.

Unless the Indonesian navy have a sophisticated plan to land lighter backhoes and other resources to build a landing beach for subsequent waves with other larger types of landing craft, the limited design goal could have some implications for pushing logistics support to shore in a natural disaster - especially if they may have problems carrying the most common class of excavators in the Indonesian market. I'm not saying that the design specs can't work - it can - but it has limitations that must be catered for in load and wave planning for the different phases of relief operations. Another solution is TNI to source only for '20 ton' class excavators that are actually in the 18 tons in weight (in this case some Korean made excavator models).

I'm sure PT DI is privy to info that I'm not. I'm hopeful that the TNI-AD and TNI-AL thought this through and that my concern expressed may be totally unfounded.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
OPSSG
PT DI seem to be saying that this craft is good for carrying backhoes but not really good for carrying the most common excavators in use in Indonesia. More importantly, because of load limitations, it can't carry excavators with special attachments (like hydraulic hammers and so on) which are needed for rescue and demolition purposes. BTW, the market leader for excavators in Indonesia is Komatsu with about 30+% of the Indonesian market in the '20 ton' class. Together with Caterpillar, these two companies own more than 65% of the Indonesian market in the '20 ton' class.

Unless the Indonesian navy have a sophisticated plan to land lighter backhoes and other resources to build a landing beach for subsequent waves with other larger types of landing craft, the limited design goal could have some implications for pushing logistics support to shore in a natural disaster - especially if they may have problems carrying the most common class of excavators in the Indonesian market. I'm not saying that the design specs can't work - it can - but it has limitations that must be catered for in load and wave planning for the different phases of relief operations. Another solution is TNI to source only for '20 ton' class excavators that are actually in the 18 tons in weight (in this case some Korean made excavator models).

I'm sure PT DI is privy to info that I'm not. I'm hopeful that the TNI-AD and TNI-AL thought this through and that my concern expressed may be totally unfounded.
From What gatther here, this Howercraft project from DI so far only attracted the Army, whille the Navy attitude still wait and see. Thus I believe this in someway confirmed that the Navy wants bigger tonnage capacity than the 20 ton that's put by DI.

The Navy so far only sources 4 loccally made Hovercraft, and this's only can be uses trasnporting Light Infantry, thus more on Special Operations modes..
On one interview in 2008 when inagurating the Transport Hovercraft, the Navy Chief stated that they want to have Air Cushion Landing Craft with simmilar pay load capabilities with their current LCU that's being used by Makasar class LPD.

Frankly speaking eventhough DI says one prototype already exist, however no photo on this prototype disclosed so far. As you can see there are two models being circulated, however in here we still do not know which model the prototype was based.

One sources in here enclosed that the problem facing DI now on enlarging the design pay load is getting sufficient power pack. DI now based their prototype on commercial marine diesel to reduced the cost and ensured the availability of relatively cheap spare parts. Something that they can not due with Gas Turbine eventhough that's the prevered power packs.

From what I gather in here putting larger commercially marine diesels than the 1500 HP unit they're putting now on the prototypes will disproportionetly disturbed the wight balance and ditributions. This will be resulted with larger dimmensions, which in turn both will increased the costs beyond USD 5 mio they've targeted.

Last edited:

JoeRagan

From What gatther here, this Howercraft project from DI so far only attracted the Army, whille the Navy attitude still wait and see. Thus I believe this in someway confirmed that the Navy wants bigger tonnage capacity than the 20 ton that's put by DI.....unquote
Think simple, think local,think sharing............no need to buy backhoe, etc,etc. Just provide troops carrier that large enough to carry thousand persons equipped with large galley. Feed 3 times a day with steam rice and salted fish. No rifles needed, just shovels or "paculs" ( locally made shovel) Need airstrip built, gives them a week. Airstrip that hard enough to land and take off airplane like Hercules C130. Done and proven in the Island of Ceram in the early 60 in preparatrion to take West Irian from the Dutch rule. I wa there.

JoeRagan

Sandhi Yudha

From KOMPAS Newspaper, with Google Translations.

Good news is, like the Air Force, the Navy also realize they already have too many types of different ships and came from too many sources.
For all its worth, Indonesian Military procurements practices and philosophy become more sensisbles and more orderlly durring the present administrations.
Thanks for the news and picture!
I think replacing KRI Dewaruci as a high priority is a stupid decision, some years ago is visited the ship, it was in a good condition. Besides that we have the Arung Samudra, although quite smaller.
Basic training can also be done on modern ships, why build/buy/use an old fashioned talship? Waste of money, we can better use our limited budget for more patrolboats, MPA, ASW helicopters or submarines.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
TNI AL Will Put Dewarutji Replacements Tender Soon.

From Media Indonesia with Google Translate:

JAKARTA - MI: Navy Headquarters will soon opened a tender to find a replacement ship KRI Dewaruci trainer who has more than 50 years of age. " "The opening of the auction scheduled this year, because we are targeting Dewaruci replacement will take place within the next two years," said a spokesman for Army Navy Marine Colonel (P) Herry Setianegara in Jakarta, Thursday (1 / 4).

He added, substitute Dewaruci will still be a tall sailboat but with larger dimensions. The requiarements is for ship with 105 meters long, has four main masts and capable of carrying at least 100 people AAL cadets.
About the possibility of a replacement vessel was held from Germany, like Dewaruci, Herry argued, "We did not mention any country, but we will soon open a public auction."
He added that the opening of the auction for the KRI Dewaruci will be coordinated with the Armed Forces Headquarters and the Ministry of Defence in accordance with regulations in effect.

KRI Dewaruci build in 1952 by HC Sohn Stulchen and Hamburg, Germany and was first launched on January 24, 1953. In July 1953 the vessel was destined from Germany to Indonesia by the cadets and cadet AAL to be a cadet training ship Navy.

The ship has dimensions of 58.30 meters long, 9.50 meters wide hull, the draft of 4.50 meters, and 847 tons deadweight, has been equipped with sophisticated and computerized navigation system. Ship type is barquentine has three main pillars mast with 16 sail screens. In addition, the vessel is equipped with powerful engine 986 HP diesel with a maximum speed of 10.5 knots. (Ant/OL-02)
So it's seems official that the replacements for current TNI AL tall ship dewarutji will be another Tall ship with larger dimensions.
This indicate that the Navy was satisfied with the concept of having Tall sailship with ocean going capabilties to provide basic seamanship training for its cadets, andprovide with long range ocean exercise.

@sandiyudha, I think the Navy was not neglected on having modern training ships. Do remembered that we have a relative modern Training Frigate Ki Hadjar Dewantoro. However I do agree that the training ships need also be mordenise, considered that training frigate was from late 80's. Thus the navy can trained its cadet more in line withmodern warfighthing environment.

Sandhi Yudha

From Media Indonesia with Google Translate:

So it's seems official that the replacements for current TNI AL tall ship dewarutji will be another Tall ship with larger dimensions.
This indicate that the Navy was satisfied with the concept of having Tall sailship with ocean going capabilties to provide basic seamanship training for its cadets, andprovide with long range ocean exercise.

@sandiyudha, I think the Navy was not neglected on having modern training ships. Do remembered that we have a relative modern Training Frigate Ki Hadjar Dewantoro. However I do agree that the training ships need also be mordenise, considered that training frigate was from late 80's. Thus the navy can trained its cadet more in line withmodern warfighthing environment.
Exactly, even without sophisticated weapon and sensorsystems, a 105m long tallship will be an expensive aquisition, really a waste of money. Our limited budget will be better used if our navy buys a Training Frigate/Corvette like 364: training ship in peacetime, combat ship in crisistime. A training corvette/frigate can also be used as our ambassador during international festivals, a tallship cant be used to keep pirates/other outside our borders.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Exactly, even without sophisticated weapon and sensorsystems, a 105m long tallship will be an expensive aquisition, really a waste of money. Our limited budget will be better used if our navy buys a Training Frigate/Corvette like 364: training ship in peacetime, combat ship in crisistime. A training corvette/frigate can also be used as our ambassador during international festivals, a tallship cant be used to keep pirates/other outside our borders.
One of the articles that I've found in Kompas told that the salinations treatment in Ki Hajar Dewantoro was not working for some time. This reduces the capability ofthe ship for training purpose only for couple of weeks. Eventhough most ofthe electronics and weapons still working, but the ship can not hold long voyage due to deteriorating living facilities.

However replacing Dewa Rutji with another tall sail boats somehow still popular in public. No secret that dewa rutji still hold some public popularity. The previous anouncement show that the Tallships will be replaced by a light frigates. However this seems misquoted by the journalists that cover it, since the semi official spokesman reinstated the Navy intentions on having another Tallships.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
TNI AL Minimum Essential Forces

From TNI AL official Statement with Google Translations

Armatim, - We all know that the target MEF (Minimum Essential Forces) was the realization of 151 KRI (Republic of Indonesia Ship) various types, 54 Pesud (Aircraft), 310 combat vehicle (Combat Vehicle) various types, and preparation of 3 BTP (Battalion Landing Team ) Marines. While Base-Navy Base which will be further developed are Tanjung Pinang Lantamal IV, V Lantamal Surabaya, Makassar Lantamal VI, VIII Lantamal Manado, Palu Lanal, Tarakan and Lanal Lanal Sangatta. All of them, in line with the title and use of Navy forces.

Jurianto, SE in giving the speech as well as guidance on when opening the Budget Planning and Coordination Meeting of Finance (Rakor Renaku) First Army Navy officer in 2010 at Wisma Laudal Juanda Surabaya, Thursday (8 / 4). Renaku activity was attended by the Commander Lantamal, as well as the Asrena and Aslog Kotama levels throughout the Navy.
"For that, programs and activities that will be designed in Renaku First we must give priority to the achievement of these goals in stages, linked to the degree plan and the use of Navy forces in 2011," stated Asrena Kasal.

Asrena Kasal said, that this activity merupkan continuation of the Navy Strategic Plan fiscal year 2011 which was held on March 10th ago in Jakarta. If the activity , which is in issue is the delivery of policy direction and implementation of the directive leader in the development of Navy budget year 2011, so in this first Renaku which became the subject of the budgeting process, ie select and determine the priority programs and activities will be held later in the year 2011 budget, as well as allocating budget support.
So the Minimum Essential forces for TNI AL until 2014 will be 151 combat, patrol and support ships, 54 aircraft (fixed and rotary wing) and 310 armoured vehicles.
It's not clear how many will be newly build, and how many will be reconditions from existing assets.
Except Surabaya, all the other Navy Bases in the border area will be prioritizes to be developed.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Another Saga on Submarine Procurements

From Antara News Agency with Google Translattion:

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The Navy retender procurement of two new vessels and the process now starts with a number of companies has submitted a bid. When confirmed ANTARA here on Wednesday, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Agus Suhartono said, because the procurement plan has not been approved, the NAvy preparaed re-tender the procurement of two such submarines.

"Yes already begun, and participants can be from players old or new. We do not know, obviously we do re-tender because the submarine is indeed very we need," he said, after attending Navy Strategy Forum 2010. Procurement of two units of the submarine was financed by the Export Credit Facilities (KE) worth 700 million U.S. dollars, obtained from foreign credit facilities in the State Budget (APBN) in 2004-2009. "We've set the technical specifications, as well as the deterences capabilities which should more than that of neighboring countries, said Navy Chief.

In the first tender, participated by four submarine-producing countries which submitted bids of their products, such as Germany, France, South Korea, and Russia, the Navy has named two countries according to the needs of manufacturers in South Korea and Russia. The plan, of the two options will be tested again where the submarine specifications in accordance with Navy requirements.
Another turn in the Submarine Procurements process. This could lead to the one of longgest procurement process in the TNI-Navy history. The procurement has been set since 2004, the bidding process has been going on for more than four years, and now when the lattest statement from the ministry say that the Final process will be conclude at most in June 2010, this 're-tender' comming.

Like I speculated before, The Navy seems not Happy with the submarines that South Korea (changbogo/209) and Russia (Kilo) as leading contender, bring to the Table. However this re-tender perhaps due to insistance from Defence MinistryGovernment that State Shipyard PT. PAL should be included in the manufacturing process somehow.
Its' seems confirm what beens around in here for quite sometimes. The Navy wants 214, Lada/Amur, or Scorpene as the choices.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Sum Up on 'Korvet Nasional' Development

Nice Article from APDR (Asia-Pacific Defence Reporter)

Early March the Jakarta press were reporting that Indonesia was about to restart the process of acquiring two corvettes as part of its National Corvette program—which had actually started in 2004- but quickly stalled, mainly due to funding issues.

Although the program as it was conceived has actually been in coma for the past few years, the Indonesian Navy still wants to "resurrect" it by purchasing two locally-built SIGMA (Ship Integrated Geometrical Modularity Approach)-based corvettes called Guided Missile Escort 105 M, also known as Perusak Kawal Rudal or PKR.

The Ministry of Defense (MOD) and PT. PAL - the state-owned naval manufacturing company said to be awarded the contract - are in the process of finalizing their future foreign design partner to jointly produce the PKRs. This activity should hopefully lead to the conclusion of the deal within the next few months. Assuming the order is placed later this year, the entire process to launch the first PKR is estimated to take at least four years, with initial delivery by the end of 2012, followed by test trials in 2013, and the final delivery by 2014. The second ship could be delivered within the following six months.

Until an actual final contract is signed with the foreign design partner, sources close to the MoD are still pessimistic about whether the schedule can be achieved - or even if the purchase will actually be made. As a consequence an alternative plan is required and is being privately discussed at senior levels within both the military and Government.

This suggests that while the PKR project may be part of a recent 'Defense Industrial Revitalization' drive by the MoD since late 2009, several fundamental problems remain—not just on the uncertain procurement contract for the corvettes, but also relating to the country's overall defense acquisition strategy and force planning.

The cost of the two PKR project ships has been estimated by PT PAL to reach around EUR 340 million (EUR 170 million each), with an expected local content of 35 percent. In fact, a substantive inward technology transfer deal has been mapped out in this regard.

This is in keeping with the spirit of achieving defense self-sufficiency, though a foreign partner is still needed in this regard. While the initial list had included Italy, Russia, the Netherlands, Poland and Germany, recent reports suggest that the MoD has narrowed it down to the first three.

The country's own chief of R&D said in 2006 that Indonesia's naval technicians were "already accustomed working with technologies from Italy, Germany, and the Netherlands." Italy through Orrizonte Sistemi Navali was the original co-designer with PT. PAL of the 80-metre national corvette. Holland's Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding helped built Indonesia's first ever 4 SIGMA- class corvettes (the last two jointly produced with PT. PAL) and train local technicians as part of the offset deal. And Indonesia has some familiarity with Russian defence technology through a number of activities, including the purchase of the entire former East German navy more than a decade ago.

That said, the character and design of the national corvettes had changed several time ; from an initial sketch of Germany's Meko 100 to Italy's Commandante class, and from 80 meter to 105 meter in length. The changes mainly reflect the Navy's requirements to allow the ships execute a wide-range of military and non-military operations—in line with Indonesia's new doctrinal requirements of "Military and Non-military Defense."

The stealth-enabled Guided Missile Escort 105 M (PKR) is designed to fight electronic and anti*submarine warfare, as well as surface and anti-air warfare. Though it is likely that the PKR could be deployed mainly for patrols and safeguard the country's Exclusive Economic Zones, former Defense Minister Juwono Sudarsono has also said that they could be used for humanitarian or disaster relief.

Naval Development and Industrial Revitalization

The MoD had hoped that the locally-built PKRs could be the beginning of Indonesia's defense transformation journey to reach its Minimum Essential Force (MEF) requirement. Specifically, according to the State Defense Posture document (published in 2007), the Navy's ideal version of the MEF is essentially a "274-ship" green water navy based on an Integrated Fleet System (SSAT) by 2024.

The future fleet is to be divided into: Striking Force (110 ships), Patrolling Force (66 ships), and Supporting Force (98 ships), based at 59 naval bases under three, and if possible four, Command Regions. This is to be further supported by a naval air force of 137 aircraft and also a Marine Force (2 brigades / 11 battalions). The development of the MEF however is to be done gradually, with financial factors as usual being the main consideration.

In the overall scheme of things therefore, the planned purchase of the two PKRs represents a small, yet significant, step in Indonesia's force development.

First, the locally-built PKR adopting the SIGMA technology is specifically designed to be a "transformational bridge" for the Navy's future warships. Officials have even repeatedly stressed that the PKR will become the "basic technological standard" of their future force development. This search for standardization and platform commonality is crucial because of the Navy's exisiting complicated web of numerous foreign suppliers, including the Netherlands, the former Yugoslavia, Germany, Russia, U.S., Australia, U.K, Japan, South Korea, China, France, and finally South Africa. Further, the entire Indonesian Military (TNI) itself has over 173 main weapons system (alutsista) coming from 17 different countries.

This has not only caused various inter-operability problems, but has also strained the education, training, and maintenance budget of the Navy. Thus, the PKR program could be the initial pilot project to increase platform commonality in the Navy's main weapons system.

Second, not only do the SIGMA class corvettes represent the most advanced naval technology that Indonesia has so far acquired, but the initial vision of the national corvette program - and now the PKR project - had actually been modeled on the commendable idea of integrating local supply chains (involving 22 Indonesian companies) while gradually deepening the transfer of foreign technology.

This vision has been taken a step further with the upcoming presidential decree on defense industrial revitalization that includes a full commitment to local industrial development, a multi-year financing model, a "national consortium" of local banks to support the domestic credit line, as well as greater efficiency of the foreign Export Credit (KE) option.

Accompanying the decree is a new "master plan" for defense procurement—as part of a future Defense Industrial Revitalization Road Map—for the next three Strategic Planning periods (renstra) spanning the next 15 years. Additionally, in a recent hearing with the parliament, Defense Minister Purnomo Yusgiantoro announced that for 2010 to 2014, the Ministry intends to spend over IDR 149 trillion (over USD 14 billion) for weapons procurement and maintenance.

Finally, the PKR project represents a growing trend in recent years within the Navy to further deepen their commitment to obtain weapons system through PT. PAL—all apparently in the name of "defense self-sufficiency." In fact, among the chief rationale to modernize - presented in various policy documents since early 2000 - is not so much the changing regional or global strategic milieu, but the Navy's age old, rapidly deteriorating fleet.
This article is a nice one,since it's summing up what happened on development of Indonesian Corvete Nastional program. However it's not really provide new news from what already put in this thread.

1. The leading candidate still Sigma based design from Damen-Schelde, Commandante based design from Fincantieri, and Streguschny based design from Rusia.
2. The program has developed from Corvete size to small/light frigate size.
3. The projects was aimed to further local shipyard industry (PT PAL at front) ability on designing and manufacturing modern warships at corvetes/frigates size.
4. The project will be used as a beacon for standarization philosophy on Indonesian acqusition in the future. Thus reduce the types/origination of weapons system being procured.

What's quite new's that the program will be more inclusive not only to the shipyard, but also to other 'local' supporting industries like steel, telecommunications, electronics, armaments to be involved.

The Present Administrations already stated that no latter of this year, the program will be commenced. The project Aimed for first two light frigates, then will be follow latter on on larger design aimed to 'finnaly' replaced old (but continue update and modified) Van Speijk that still make the back bone of Indonesian Navy.

From Local sources in here also stated that besides this Light frigates (PKR in here), PAL still prepare another design of Corvetes that aimed to replaced 16 East German origin Corvetes.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Brunei Grant 2 Missiles Boats to TNI AL

From Kompas News Paper with Google Translate:

[quote}
Bandar Seri Begawan - To strengthen relationships that already existed for this, and understand the needs of Indonesia, Brunei grant two patrol boats to the Navy. Brunei also said it would consider the purchase of Indonesia's defense industry products, such as patrol aircraft and assault rifles.

It was agreed in the working visit Deputy Defence Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin to neighboring ASEAN countries in the northern tip of Borneo, the 24 to 25 May. Sjafrie signed an agreement on the joint partner, Deputy Minister of Defence of Brunei Pehin Mohammad Yasmin Umar, in the capital Bandar Seri Begawan.

Two patrol boats that Brunai planned to grant belong to Waspada class, namely KDB (Kings Ships Brunei) Waspada and KDB Pejuang. Ships built by Vosper Thornycroft shipyard in Singapore in 1978-1979 was classified as a guided missile patrol boats. Weighs 210 tons, the Class has two Exocet MM 38 anti-ship missile tube launchers, 30 mm anti-aircraft cannon made by Oerlikon, and two 7.62-mm caliber machine guns are updated in the 1990s.

"We now need to prepare for when and how the two patrol boats that can be transferred to Indonesia," said Sjafrie when discussing ways to move the two ships, each of which requires about 40 crew members.

Commenting on the grant of Brunei, the deputy defense minister of Indonesia explained that this is a sincere form of friendship from Brunei to RI. Brunei even stated that they would seriously consider the addition of CN-235 patrol aircraft.
The two ships belong to the same generations with 4 existing TNI AL Mandau Class Missiles Boats build in South Korea. Both uses Exocet MM 38 although Waspada smaller than Mandau. Considering that TNI AL Exocet MM 38 was begining to be replaced by Exocet MM 40, and TNI AL in the future will also uses Chinese made SSM, don't know how long Exocet MM 38 will still be effective in TNI AL inventory.

Sources in here stated that this two Waspada Class and Existing Mandau Class will be uses as stop gap, until the planned missiles boats and corvetes from PAL can come to fruition.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Capable little boats, no need to change anything, if everything still works... Nice gift from Brunei. :D
My main concern's the conditions of Exocet MM 38 in TNI AL inventories. However it seems the MM 38 facilities are in similar size with Chinese C-802 that's being put in to service on PAL FPB 57 missiles boats. So if the trends goes those MM 38 will be replaced by C-802, since PAL already acquiare the know how for that missiles system integrations.
Seems the original plan for upgrading and reconditioning of existing MM 38, going no where.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
My main concern's the conditions of Exocet MM 38 in TNI AL inventories.
Don't the missiles have test kits to check for serviceable life? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's standard maintenance practice. Having said that, IMO, having problems with missiles is not that uncommon (even it's storage can be an issue). For a period, some of the RSN's early Israeli made Gabriel missiles did not work after some time. Eventually, after much trouble shooting on our own (because the manufacturer did not manage to ind the fault), it was found to be a quality issue - something to do with cables in the missiles.

Management of quality problems are a feature in any weapons or systems purchase through its life cycle. Our army even found that some of our radios had a batch of faulty chips, which shortened the lifespan of the batteries - after this was found out, ST (who was contracted to provide depot support) and our army maintenance depot made claims to the manufacturer to replace both the radios and the batteries that were damaged by the faulty chips. We only know about this because an army newsletter said the two persons in-charge won an award for being diligent.

Last edited: