Indo Pacific strategy

Vanquish

For now India and Canada seems continue trading accusations. India while deny any involvement, now call Canada as safe heaven for terorists. Very strong accusations on diplomatic row.

While Canada continues saying that they have evidence on linking India Diplomat on the killing. They even claim Indian officials not denied their accusations behind close doors.

I quote the two increasingly diverse position, and clearly standing on each position emotionally.

While again as I put in previous post, BJP main opposition Congress Party, still in fact continues support India BJP administration. This is in fact can be good situation for Congress to exploits, considering like in Canada, India election also coming. However so far Congress doesn't do it. For me as non Indian, it's bit perplexing. Still it is also shown so far Indian domestic is behind their government on the issue, and shown condemnation toward Canada.

This is so far not going to be easy to resolve, and will bring problematic situations for US. Eventhough Jake Sullivan say there will be no special treatment to India (in case the Canadian allegations proven).

All back to question, what's Canada evidence? Is it strong enough? If I'm Trudeau and feel my evidence is strong enough, I'll leak it to Congress. Let them sort it out with India domestic constituents. This off course if the evidence is strong enough.

"U.S. President Joe Biden and other leaders expressed concern to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the G20 summit this month about Canadian claims that New Delhi was involved in the murder of a Sikh separatist leader in Canada, the Financial Times reported on Thursday.

Several members of the Five Eyes — an intelligence-sharing network that includes the U.S., the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand — raised the June killing in British Columbia of Hardeep Singh Nijjar, a Sikh separatist leader, with Modi, the newspaper said, citing three people familiar with the discussions at the summit."

Hard to imagine other Five Eyes leaders expressing concern to Modi at the G20 if they didn't think Canada's evidence was credible. Especially when it was going to rock the boat with India a country the west is trying to court.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

For now India and Canada seems continue trading accusations. India while deny any involvement, now call Canada as safe heaven for terorists. Very strong accusations on diplomatic row.

While Canada continues saying that they have evidence on linking India Diplomat on the killing. They even claim Indian officials not denied their accusations behind close doors.

I quote the two increasingly diverse position, and clearly standing on each position emotionally.

While again as I put in previous post, BJP main opposition Congress Party, still in fact continues support India BJP administration. This is in fact can be good situation for Congress to exploits, considering like in Canada, India election also coming. However so far Congress doesn't do it. For me as non Indian, it's bit perplexing. Still it is also shown so far Indian domestic is behind their government on the issue, and shown condemnation toward Canada.

This is so far not going to be easy to resolve, and will bring problematic situations for US. Eventhough Jake Sullivan say there will be no special treatment to India (in case the Canadian allegations proven).

All back to question, what's Canada evidence? Is it strong enough? If I'm Trudeau and feel my evidence is strong enough, I'll leak it to Congress. Let them sort it out with India domestic constituents. This off course if the evidence is strong enough.
Hindu militantism has been raising its ugly head here in NZ and whilst here its the more extreme elements of it, it does mean that we have an ongoing problem.

The rise of Hindutva and hate in Aotearoa's Indian diaspora

I think for Trudeau to do what he did smacks of domestic Canadian politics more than security concerns. WRT you question about evidence, that'll be very lucky to be made public because such a release may compromise methods used to obtain it, especially if a FVEY partner supplied part of it.

koxinga

While the onus is on Canada to provide the evidence (at least within close doors if intelligence is a concern), it is also increasingly difficult to even have an open conversation about it with India.

There is a lot of nationalist, hyperventilation that outright rejects the accusations as a form of neo-colonialism on the part of the West and any sane Indian voices as "brown coolie" traitors. The same sort of nationalist rants you see from Chinese nationalists.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
WRT you question about evidence, that'll be very lucky to be made public because such a release may compromise methods used to obtain it, especially if a FVEY partner supplied part of it.
Yes, I agree they will not make it to public. That's why I'm more thinking for Trudeau administration behind close door talk not only to present Indian administration, but also to main opposition (Congress). Congress wants to win off course, and if they see there's room for them to exploit for next elections, they will do it. Depends how strong Canada evidence and if Congress can see this as something they can sell to Indian domestic constituents.

I do believe if want to have more less emotional outburst from Indian constituents, Congress is the way. As long as Canada can shown strong effidence for Congress can work out. If not Congress like now have no other choice asside playing along with BJP to follow Indian domestic emotion. This is not trying to venture on politics (as I'm not Indian), but perhaps more on finding a way to sell Canada cause to Indian domestic.

The same sort of nationalist rants you see from Chinese nationalists.
This is why I wrote in other thread that Western media and public should see that basically Chinese Nationalist and Indian Hindutva both have many similarities on the mentality. The difference is Indian main opposition is not that far into Hindutva ideology relative to BJP. While CCP has no organise Opposition. Still as long as BJP in charge, hindutva ideology got upper hand.

I see articles from Indian and Western media pundits that talk ASEAN should work and embrace more for India rather then China partnership. Problem is for many ASEAN members Indian intentions need to be wary only slightly less then China. Both Chinese nationalist and Indian Hindutva have dreams to put all SEA as their vassals. Both of them have similar believe that SEA is belong to each of them influence only. So for ASEAN balance between both of them still need to be maintain. As much as balance with US.

For TNI (as example) whether China bases in SCS or Indian ones in Andaman are both need to be watch. This is why eventough not as big as Natuna Island military presence, TNI also recently put more military presence in Sabang Island facing Andaman and Nicobar.

Thus most Asian already understand Chinese Nationalist and Indian Hindutva are in some ways practically very similar ideology and dreams. Indian can be counterweight to China, but have no mistakes India have their own nationalist grandeur agenda on their own.

Sandhi Yudha

A naval base in Kamboja has grown considerably over the last 18 months, with a pier large enough for aircraft carriers already in place, and this base now appears even more expensive and capable than previous reports suggested.

This article shows us evidence of a new dry dock being constructed which is being built on reclaimed land. Chinese involvement is indisputable, but Cambodja denies that it is for the Chinese Navy (PLAN).
Maybe china is so generous to construct a naval base large enough for Kamboja's future aircraft carrier and to build up Kamboja's own naval industry from scratch, as a good friend.

Sandhi Yudha

Maldives asks Indian troops to leave after inauguration of pro-China President Mohamed Muizzu - ABC News
A new pro-China Government in the Maldives (about 800ks SW of India) has requested the Indian Military to leave.
India maintained radar stations and surveillance aircraft on the islands as well as providing patrol vessels for the EEZ.
Thanks for sharing.
I have the feeling that we can expect that the chinese will replace the Indians at the Maldives, with soon a chinese radar post and naval base. And of course the chinese will patrol the territorial seas and EEZ for the Maldives....as a good friend.

Chinese presence in Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and soon the Maldives, this will make India undoubtly nervous. I think it will be also wise to dismantle India's radar installations and take everything back to India, including the aircrafts.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Musashi_kenshin

Now, most likely, PLA aircraft and ships will operate from there.
I don't think it's certain. This isn't the first time the Maldive government has asked Indian forces to leave, and there have been reports that the new government may be more moderate now it has actually won the election.

But diplomatic sources also told Nikkei Asia that they expect Muizzu's position toward India to be more nuanced -- beyond the thorny issue of the Indian military personnel.

"Soon after his election, [Muizzu] made it clear that he is not against India or pro-China and that he was very much pro-Maldives," said a senior envoy who met Muizzu after his victory. "He came across as a good listener and carefully chose his words."

Experts on Maldivian foreign policy concur, expecting Muizzu to approach his country's ties with India along pragmatic lines during his first term.

"A change in government in the Maldives will not change the geopolitical realities faced by the Maldives," Ahmed Shaheed, a former Maldivian foreign minister, told Nikkei Asia. "Maldives will remain within India's sphere of influence, and India will be head and shoulders above its competitors in soft power influence over Maldives."

He said that even without an Indian military presence in the Maldives, security cooperation between Male and New Delhi will continue the way it has for decades. "If done tactfully, both India and the Maldives should be able to handle this matter smoothly and seamlessly."

The pressure to get the Indian military to leave wasn't because ordinary people were pro-China but because there was a feeling India had started basing military personnel there on the pretext of "maintaining" gifted equiment, and people didn't want to get involved in a war involving India and China. The Maldives becoming a base for PLA military aircraft and ships would make it even more a target than it was before.

This isn't likely to be about money either, because India has previously been a generous financial benefactor to the islands. So I think we should be cautious before jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:

Redlands18

Anthony Albanese and James Marape sign sweeping security pact between Australia and PNG, China continues efforts to expand Pacific policing ties - ABC News
Australia and PNG have signed a new security pact, that will see consultations and a coordinated response in the advent of security threats to either nation. Australia will also provide $200m over 4 years to improve PNGs judiciary and correctional services.

PNG has a massive internal security issue with out-of-control gang violence making it one of the most dangerous places in the world. It is planning to increase its Police Force by 40%.

Sandhi Yudha

|"The Chilean Navy has reported vessels operating around the islands under a wide variety of flags, including Russian, Chinese, Korean and Spanish. "|

It is justt annoying that these people sail to the other side to the world to plunder the other countries' EEZs.

Sandhi Yudha

The Chinese Defense Ministry on Thursday vowed not to turn a blind eye toward the Philippines' repeated provocations and harassments, during a regular press conference on Thursday when asked to comment on remarks from the Philippines that the China Coast Guard (CCG) used water cannons to attack and rammed Philippine vessels near the Second Thomas Shoal and used long-range sonic devices and military-grade lasers against Philippine crew members.

Second Thomas Shoal, also known as Ayungin Shoal in the Philippines (Tagalog: Kulumpol ng Ayungin), in Vietnam as Bãi Cỏ Mây and known as Rén'ài Jiāo (Ren'ai Reef), by the chinese. It is a submerged reef in the Spratly Islands of the South China Sea, 105 nautical miles (194 km) west of Palawan island of the Philippines. The Philippine Navy has an LST, the BRP Sierra Madre (LT-57), guarding the island that was intentionally grounded on the reef in 1999 and has been periodically replenished since then.

Remarkably they didn't give any comments (yet) about Kaga's sea trials after the modifications to support F-35B operations.

Not surprising, but still worrying.

The US is planning to rebuild an airbase at Tinian Island, which is part of the Northern Marianen Islands, for "its own selfish gains".

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

I just found this....
...and it seems there are some widespread lootings in Port Moresby. It is reported that these chaos is caused by payment cuts of salary. Hopefully the authorities can quickly calm down the situation.

Some more recent videos.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

No Detail from Australia Defense Minister,

While in Press Conference, Indonesia Defense Minister also not talk in detail clearly stated on finding ways to improve relationship agreement. He also hope the agreement can be finalise by next two-three months. Shown the meeting quite serious note, asit is also attend by Parliament Head of Defense Commite, and also Indonesian Internal/Home Affair Minister.

Both basically say the security-defense agreement is aim to improve collective security in the region. Well that's diplomatic way to say, without mentioning elephant in the room.

Sandhi Yudha

The U.S. Air Force has awarded a contract for rebuilding an old overgrown airfield on Tinian, a Pacific island military leaders consider crucial to their plans in the region. The top military and civilian leaders in the Air Force visited the island earlier this month to survey work on the airfield. Since January, airmen have started to clear hundreds of acres of jungle so that construction work can begin.

Hopefully they will not unnecessary damage the nature of Tinian during construction.

Redlands18

The U.S. Air Force has awarded a contract for rebuilding an old overgrown airfield on Tinian, a Pacific island military leaders consider crucial to their plans in the region. The top military and civilian leaders in the Air Force visited the island earlier this month to survey work on the airfield. Since January, airmen have started to clear hundreds of acres of jungle so that construction work can begin.

Hopefully they will not unnecessary damage the nature of Tinian during construction.

And let us hope they never have to launch the same type of missions from there they did in early Aug 1945.

Sandhi Yudha

As we know Australia, Japan, the Philippines and the US, were performing the Multilateral Maritime Cooperative Activity (MMCA).
The exercise was carried out on 7 April within Manila's exclusive economic zone (EEZ).

And now china is preparing a combat patrol near that area.