Indian Nuclear & Missile Development, News & Discussions

dragonfire

There have been a lot of China and India posturing going on esp in Indian Media hardly has a day gone by in the last 6 weeks when there isnt something about the Chinese being mentioned in the papers, incursions etc etc

As far as the Agni - 5 goes the missile isnt ready yet and is atleast 2 years (min) from being operationalised, it hasnt been tested yet. The ICBM will give India the ability to strike targets at a long distances with the projected range being 5k km. China has several missiles with similar ranges and more, if anything this capability will give India a deterrent to anyone with aggresive intentions against her. There isnt anything to concern about

Jimsap

Can someone tell me the exact meaning of a boost nuclear fission device and I India has that expertise.
Thx.

Hindustan

There have been a lot of China and India posturing going on esp in Indian Media hardly has a day gone by in the last 6 weeks when there isnt something about the Chinese being mentioned in the papers, incursions etc etc

As far as the Agni - 5 goes the missile isnt ready yet and is atleast 2 years (min) from being operationalised, it hasnt been tested yet. The ICBM will give India the ability to strike targets at a long distances with the projected range being 5k km. China has several missiles with similar ranges and more, if anything this capability will give India a deterrent to anyone with aggresive intentions against her. There isnt anything to concern about
well what i came to know about the reports about AGNI-V is that it will be ready for the test in december 2010 or january 2011. lets hope that it gets ready as soon as possible. D.R.D.O agents said that they have the capability to reach more than 5000 kms but they say that its the government who deceides what we have to deliver.

Hindustan

Can someone tell me the exact meaning of a boost nuclear fission device and I India has that expertise.
Thx.
well i am not very sure about it but i think that it is the device which uses the energy of the nuclear fission and helps the occurance of nuclear fusion. which in contrast to fission gives a larrge amount of energy. Thus rather than adding up too many fission bombs to have a huge yield it is better to have fission helping fusion and then having huge yield. This method is cost effective as well as gives bigger yield. thanx.

dragonfire

I was reading up on Agni V and on wiki it states that since it is Canisterised it has a better mobility than other road-mobile missiles like the Agni II. Now i can understand that a canister increases the life of the missile beacause it is hermaticaly sealed, what i cant understand is how does a cansiter increase road mobility when compared to other road mobile missiles :confused:

Also does anyone know if the Nirbhay missile was tested out yet ?

Last edited:

aaaditya

I was reading up on Agni V and on wiki it states that since it is Canisterised it has a better mobility than other road-mobile missiles like the Agni II. Now i can understand that a canister increases the life of the missile beacause it is hermaticaly sealed, what i cant understand is how does a cansiter increase road mobility when compared to other road mobile missiles :confused:

Also does anyone know if the Nirbhay missile was tested out yet ?
nirbhay is expected to be tested in late 2010,it is a conventional cruise missile similiar to babur or the tomahawk,this subsonic missile is claimed to have a stealthy design,sophisticated targeting and navigation package and is designed to carry 24 different types of warheads,it is claimed to have a range of 1000 kms.

india is going to test the shourya missile soon,i believe that this missile is a much more formidable missile when compared to the nirbhay.

dragonfire

nirbhay is expected to be tested in late 2010,it is a conventional cruise missile similiar to babur or the tomahawk,this subsonic missile is claimed to have a stealthy design,sophisticated targeting and navigation package and is designed to carry 24 different types of warheads,it is claimed to have a range of 1000 kms.

india is going to test the shourya missile soon,i believe that this missile is a much more formidable missile when compared to the nirbhay.
Tnks for the input, BTW the Shaurya was tested last year. Is the Shaurya a cruise missile as in does it have terrain hugging and other stealth features like the Nirbhay. I know the Shaurya is a much faster missile than the Nirbhay what with the Shaurya being able to reach Mach 6 speeds. But how else does the Shaurya outperforms the Nirbhay (it's ok to discuss even if both are not operational)

aaaditya

Tnks for the input, BTW the Shaurya was tested last year. Is the Shaurya a cruise missile as in does it have terrain hugging and other stealth features like the Nirbhay. I know the Shaurya is a much faster missile than the Nirbhay what with the Shaurya being able to reach Mach 6 speeds. But how else does the Shaurya outperforms the Nirbhay (it's ok to discuss even if both are not operational)
shaurya is a tactical ballistic missile ,having a range of 700 kms and capable of carrying a 1 ton warhead,shaurya is fully canisterised and is designed to be fired from both submarines as well as land based fixed and mobile launchers,by virtue of its high speed it will be more difficult to intercept as the reaction time against it will be very low and its high kinetic energy will cause greater damage.

i believe that it is not a true ballistic missile ,but has relatively flatter approach to the target,similiar to a cruise missile,i cant confirm it though,its just something i had read once,i will try to find the source.

Twinblade

DRDO: Prithvi accuracy better than 10 metres

Prithvi-II, the first indigenous surface to surface strategic Missile, capable of attacking targets at ranges of 350 kms, reached the predefined target in the Bay of Bengal with a very high accuracy of better than 10 meters. All the Radars, Electro-optical systems located along the coast have tracked and monitored the Missile throughout the flight path. An Indian Naval ship located near the target witnessed the final event.
10 meters is surprisingly high level of accuracy. I wonder how does the missile seeker identify and differentiate between target at such a high speed. BTW a 10 m accuracy for a 1000Kg CL-20 warhead seems to be a little over kill, unless it is specifically meant to destroy underground bunkers with a hardened nose.

Twinblade

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6UlFqk7MkA&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - ‪India's Anti-ballistic Missile - PAD -Intercepts Medium Range Ballistic Missile -Part 4‬‏[/nomedia]

seems like an official DRDO video

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
. BTW a 10 m accuracy for a 1000Kg CL-20 warhead seems to be a little over kill, unless it is specifically meant to destroy underground bunkers with a hardened nose.
Just wondering ... would that not translate into India developing tactical nuclear weapons (TNWs), which it has officially ruled and declared destabilizing?

Twinblade

Just wondering ... would that not translate into India developing tactical nuclear weapons (TNWs), which it has officially ruled and declared destabilizing?
In Pokhran 2 series of test, Shakti 3 and shakti 5 nuclear test devices were exploded with 0.3 KT and 0.5 KT output using reactor grade plutonium and U-233 from fast breeder reactors. They have successfully tested the design, they have abundant raw material and they have delivery mechanisms as well. Too much work for something you don't want to develop.

Another alternative might be miniaturized conventional warheads with exotic explosives under development at HEMRL.

Twinblade

49,000 tonnes uranium deposit in Andhra; may rise threefold

RAWATBHATA: Scientists have found massive uranium deposits at the mines in Tummalapalle in Andhra Pradesh, a site that has the potential to emerge as the largest reserve of the key nuclear fuel in the world.

"At today's estimates, the uranium reserves are to the tune of 49,000 tonnes. We expect it to be three-fold of that," Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Srikumar Banerjee told reporters here.

Twinblade

49,000 tonnes uranium deposit in Andhra; may rise threefold

RAWATBHATA: Scientists have found massive uranium deposits at the mines in Tummalapalle in Andhra Pradesh, a site that has the potential to emerge as the largest reserve of the key nuclear fuel in the world.

"At today's estimates, the uranium reserves are to the tune of 49,000 tonnes. We expect it to be three-fold of that," Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Srikumar Banerjee told reporters here.
thats a big shot in the arm for the DAE

Twinblade

DRDO to test-fire three missiles from today

It will be a busy week from Saturday for the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) — it will test-fire three surface-to-surface missiles, which can carry nuclear weapons, from Orissa's coast.

Hypersonic missile Shourya (valour), which can also carry conventional warheads, will be test-fired from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur near Balasore.

This will be followed by the launch of Prithvi-II on September 26, also from Chandipur, and Agni-II on September 30 from the Wheeler Island off Damra.

It will be the third launch of Shourya, which can fly at six-seven times the speed of sound (Mach 6 to 7) at low altitudes. The first launch was on November 12, 2008, and the second was kept a secret. It is the land-variant of underwater-launched missile K-15 that is being fitted into nuclear-powered submarine Arihant. K-15 is already under production.

DRDO missile technologists said the Saturday launch of Shourya would be “a proving trial with the user's [Services'] participation.” Since the first two launches were successful, the missile would be inducted into the Army if this flight too turned out to be a success. There would be no change in the configuration of the missile that can hit targets 750 km away.

Avinash Chander, Chief Controller (Missiles and Strategic Systems), DRDO, said the final version of Shourya was picked up from the production lot for the trial.
This might be one of the speediest induction of any ballistic missile in India.