Indian Nuclear & Missile Development, News & Discussions

hellfire

^laser based ballistic missile defense will be expensive for india,they should partner with some other country like russia or US.
and BTW off topic but what happend to Almaz-Antey High Energy Laser Directed Energy Weapon from russia.

dragonfire

Could someone pls explain how this platform of Laser stuff work as a Anti Ballistic missile shield

Suppose a missile is launched against india from 300 kms away from the border aimed at india, how will this platform work, will the planes be near to the border, what is range of the laser, how is the launch detection made etc

kay_man

Could someone pls explain how this platform of Laser stuff work as a Anti Ballistic missile shield

Suppose a missile is launched against india from 300 kms away from the border aimed at india, how will this platform work, will the planes be near to the border, what is range of the laser, how is the launch detection made etc
well its similar to current anti-ballistic missile defences.
you have a radar on the ground or airborne which detects the ballistic missile and then instead of using a fast intercepting missile you use high intensity laser beam to shred it to pieces.
its just like in the sci-fi movies:D
i think the U.S are already amid development of an airborne system of this kind with the laser mounted in the nosr cone of a large millitary transport aircraft.

yasin_khan

i think the U.S are already amid development of an airborne system of this kind with the laser mounted in the nosr cone of a large millitary transport aircraft.
This system was tested in 2003.ABL(airborne lasser) flight testing revealed the need to alter the shape of the active ranging laser pod atop the fuselage.
The ABL handles basically big planes like 747-400 and large transport.By 2008 USAF have two ABLs.A fleet of seven is planned.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This system was tested in 2003.ABL(airborne lasser) flight testing revealed the need to alter the shape of the active ranging laser pod atop the fuselage.
The ABL handles basically big planes like 747-400 and large transport.By 2008 USAF have two ABLs.A fleet of seven is planned.
First live intercept is for this year using YAL-1A
"First Light" was achieved Sept 2008

dragonfire

well its similar to current anti-ballistic missile defences.
you have a radar on the ground or airborne which detects the ballistic missile and then instead of using a fast intercepting missile you use high intensity laser beam to shred it to pieces.
its just like in the sci-fi movies:D
I still am not clear on how this works, lets take an example of a missile launched from 500 kms from the border, to break the operations down here are some questions

a) How is the missile launch detected, does radar coverage play a role here as are there radars which has such range into enemy territory, is it through listening stations, satelites - i doubt this unless through intelligence one was prior focused on tht site, basically how is the detection made

b) even if detection is made through some sources the window of opportunity is so small as a ballistic missile launched will spend only a few secs to a very few mins in its primary/boost/ powered flight stage. Within this time span the platform carrying the weapon has to be airborne (here we are talking about a big craft - wasnt a retired Air India 747 used to test in US) and have enough time to fire the waepon, i mean we are talking about a big craft which should take some time in getting pre-flight checks, readying of the aircraft, fueling its tons of fuel etc Its not like a fighter plane i doubt a big airframe can be kept on active status 24/7

c) targeting systems, how will such a weapon be able to find its target and fire on it asccurately i mean we are talking about a target no more than 3.5 mts in diameter travelling at 100s of kms per hour 500 kms away.

d) is it safe - i mean there is a huge air space btw the launch of the weapon and the target, there could be a lot of civilian air craft in tht space which could be destroyed if it came into the path of the laser

e) Firing systems and range: wht kind of range will the weapon have, and will it be able to fire at will or will it need to recharge or something

yasin_khan

I still am not clear on how this works, lets take an example of a missile launched from 500 kms from the border, to break the operations down here are some questions

a) How is the missile launch detected, does radar coverage play a role here as are there radars which has such range into enemy territory, is it through listening stations, satelites - i doubt this unless through intelligence one was prior focused on tht site, basically how is the detection made

b) even if detection is made through some sources the window of opportunity is so small as a ballistic missile launched will spend only a few secs to a very few mins in its primary/boost/ powered flight stage. Within this time span the platform carrying the weapon has to be airborne (here we are talking about a big craft - wasnt a retired Air India 747 used to test in US) and have enough time to fire the waepon, i mean we are talking about a big craft which should take some time in getting pre-flight checks, readying of the aircraft, fueling its tons of fuel etc Its not like a fighter plane i doubt a big airframe can be kept on active status 24/7

c) targeting systems, how will such a weapon be able to find its target and fire on it asccurately i mean we are talking about a target no more than 3.5 mts in diameter travelling at 100s of kms per hour 500 kms away.

d) is it safe - i mean there is a huge air space btw the launch of the weapon and the target, there could be a lot of civilian air craft in tht space which could be destroyed if it came into the path of the laser

e) Firing systems and range: wht kind of range will the weapon have, and will it be able to fire at will or will it need to recharge or something
Such a capability would be a powerful deterrent since the missile and its warhead would fall back on the nation that launched it.It is easier to track and destroy a ballistic missile in its boot phase.Once it releases a warhead and that weapon reaches its terminal phase of flight,complications multiply.The target becomes smaller and faster and usually would be attended by decoys.The result is that anti ballistic missile system almost literally must hit a bullet with a bullet.
Giving the ABL capabilities against ICBMs would chiefly require adding power to the system's destructive laser.Because ICBMs are faster than TBMs,the laser would have a short time to dwell on the missile's skin and thus have to be more energetic to pierce the booster skin.

yasin_khan

In addition the ABLs as an ICBMs interceptor would also likely be farther away from potential launch points deep inside the attacking nation's territory,meaning it would have to be more powerful to traverse greater distances with the same effectiveness.To expand the ABL charter to include defense against ICBMs would require more aircrafts.A highly capable round-the-clock ABL deployment covering most of nation possessing ICBMs could be achieved with 10-15 orbits each of which could comprise fie airplanes.

dragonfire

Army Version of Brahmos missile

Recently an army version of the Brahmos was tested with a new guidance system incorporated, the test failed to achieve its design parameters however a new test will be conducted within a month as per the Indian Defense Minister

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/001200901231322.htm

Wht is interesting is that the Brahmos is to counter the Babur land attack cruise missile of the Pakistan army, it looks like a case of either the Indian missile is not the correct solution or is only part solution beacuse of its short range or the actual range of the Brahmos is much higher than 290 kms as stated

yasin_khan

Range of missiles are directly proportional to the weight of warhead.This law implements on Indian and Pakistani missiles.Brahmos with range 290 km is much for Pakistan because most of the major cities of Pakistan is are along border with India.But you cant induct it in armed forces after 2 or 3 tests.Babar cruise missile has greater range the land version has range of 500 km and 500 kg warhead but air version has range 800 km.I have seen some where that Pakistan is also testing naval version with range 500 km.

dragonfire

Range of missiles are directly proportional to the weight of warhead.This law implements on Indian and Pakistani missiles.Brahmos with range 290 km is much for Pakistan because most of the major cities of Pakistan is are along border with India.But you cant induct it in armed forces after 2 or 3 tests.
The Brahmos has already been inducted both with the Indian Army as well as with the Indian Navy, currently there a lot of variants being developed and
tested in the Submarine Launched as well as air - ground launched versions. The tests refer to a new variant being tested for the army for a land attack version. Babur is a longer range cruise missile - my point exactly

thunder299

Man india is working hard but they fail again and again,finally the only sooution left is israel for them.There mostly all missile and other defence missile system is from russia and israel,i think so the application of this system is not possible till 2015.

Type59

Guys India on March 6 successfully tested an indigenous interceptor missile that destroyed an incoming "enemy" ballistic missile at an altitude of 80 km. I am posting here the link and video of interceptor test, enjoy it.

http://www.hindu.com/2009/03/07/stories/2009030760681200.htm

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/index....cid=&videoid=31878&start_bottom=0&ptype=video

Impressive achievement, but tests are very controlled. Using, both missiles that are same does not sound like a very relistic situation. I expect this is just a technology demostrator.

kay_man

Impressive achievement, but tests are very controlled. Using, both missiles that are same does not sound like a very relistic situation. I expect this is just a technology demostrator.
actually the ballistic missile was launched first, then detected by radars and then the interceptor missile was launched. and this is not a technology demonstrator.
Buddy atleast make an attempt to read the link .
heres a quote from the news.
As the single-stage Dhanush, 9.4 metres tall and weighing 4.5 tonnes, lifted off at 4.17 p.m. from the ship located 150 km away from the Wheeler Island, radars at Konark and Paradip in Orissa tracked it 50 seconds into its flight. The Mission Control Centre (the MCC) on the island also received information about it.

dragonfire

actually the ballistic missile was launched first, then detected by radars and then the interceptor missile was launched. and this is not a technology demonstrator.
Buddy atleast make an attempt to read the link .
heres a quote from the news.
Wasnt the ABM missile a ,modified prithvi missile and as such a liquid fueled ABM doesnt make much sense, however considering that only a handful of nations have made such an achievement its considerable indeed - congrats to the team at DRDO and its labs

Templario

I don't know why India and Pakistan invest so much money in nuclear weapons while their people is STARVING.

Theoy should invest that money in the development of the country.

kay_man

Astra Beyond Visual Range Air to Air Missile Tested Successfully

Dated 9/5/2009
Printer Friendly Subscribe
As part of developmental tests, the flight trial of Astra, Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile (BVRAAM), was successfully carried out by scientists of the Defence Research and Development Organisation recently at Balasore, Orissa.

DRDO sources told reporters in Hyderabad on Thursday that the missile's dual mode guidance was fully proved when it was fired from the ground at an imaginary target.

Astra is a high-end tactical missile and is envisaged to intercept enemy aircraft at supersonic speeds in head-on mode at a range of 80 km and in tail-chase mode at 20 km. Once the full-fledged flight test is completed, the missile will be integrated with the IAF's Sukhoi-30, MiG-29 and the Light Combat Aircraft (Tejas).

yasin_khan

Astra Beyond Visual Range Air to Air Missile Tested Successfully

Dated 9/5/2009
Printer Friendly Subscribe
As part of developmental tests, the flight trial of Astra, Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile (BVRAAM), was successfully carried out by scientists of the Defence Research and Development Organisation recently at Balasore, Orissa.

DRDO sources told reporters in Hyderabad on Thursday that the missile's dual mode guidance was fully proved when it was fired from the ground at an imaginary target.

Astra is a high-end tactical missile and is envisaged to intercept enemy aircraft at supersonic speeds in head-on mode at a range of 80 km and in tail-chase mode at 20 km. Once the full-fledged flight test is completed, the missile will be integrated with the IAF's Sukhoi-30, MiG-29 and the Light Combat Aircraft (Tejas).
I think it is upgraded model of russian missile.Russian missiles are upgraded with the help of Israel.

Source/proof?

Last edited by a moderator: