Indian Navy (IN) News and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I think PLAN might have more in a few years if the Russian ones are getting mothballed at the current pace. Gary? Rick?
I haven't seen any numbers for a while.

Sometime ago (12 months) RANSAC indicated that less than 20% of the Federations "active" penanted assets were sea worthy.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Leasing Russian subs, i think Russia needs them as much as we do. I do not think leasing the older types will be what the IN wants.
I certainly wouldn't be leasing any russian subs after the way that you were treated on the first one.

IIRC it sank at moorings twice before it was delisted and then re-activated and cleaned up for lease.

kams

Leasing Russian subs, i think Russia needs them as much as we do. I do not think leasing the older types will be what the IN wants.

The Russian sub will be used to develop the capability, as the indigenous ones are pushed into service by 2017-2020.
Please read up on which Sub IN is planning to lease.

kams

P-15A details

GF, Galharn, Conte and others,

Recently MDL released a tender for thrid ship ofP-15 A series. The armament fit was as follows

1. Anti-ship/surface missile - Brahmos - 2 units (how many cells/unit was not specified but may be 8)

2. SAM- Barak NG - 4 units (again cells/unit not mentioned)

3. Radar - MF-STAR

4. CIWS - AK 630 (4 )

5 Main Gun A-190

funtz

I certainly wouldn't be leasing any russian subs after the way that you were treated on the first one.

IIRC it sank at moorings twice before it was delisted and then re-activated and cleaned up for lease.
The Charlie-I Class? i was in primary school back then, no clues :unknown

tphuang

Super Moderator
GF, Galharn, Conte and others,

Recently MDL released a tender for thrid ship ofP-15 A series. The armament fit was as follows

1. Anti-ship/surface missile - Brahmos - 2 units (how many cells/unit was not specified but may be 8)

2. SAM- Barak NG - 4 units (again cells/unit not mentioned)

3. Radar - MF-STAR

4. CIWS - AK 630 (4 )

5 Main Gun A-190
if each unit of Barak-NG are 8 cell like Barak, then that really is not enough for what is going to be the AAW ship of IN. Sorry, but 4 AK-640 and A-190 is not going to be that much help either.

funtz

if each unit of Barak-NG are 8 cell like Barak, then that really is not enough for what is going to be the AAW ship of IN.
Not enough for what? How does one arrive at the required figure?
Sorry, but 4 AK-640 and A-190 is not going to be that much help either.
Help in what?

That will be what 32 missiles, decent load, though a extra dozen will always help, infact the more the better ah.

I guess they might go for 48, will just have to wait.

P 15 A series, exactly how many are planned? i could only find plans for 3, so is this the last in the series(i.e the one with the Barak NG)?

Last edited:

tphuang

Super Moderator
Not enough for what? How does one arrive at the required figure?

Help in what?

That will be what 32 missiles, decent load, though a extra dozen will always help, infact the more the better ah.

I guess they might go for 48, will just have to wait.

P 15 A series, exactly how many are planned? i could only find plans for 3, so is this the last in the series(i.e the one with the Barak NG)?
if you look at the AAW ships that are being built now, 48 seem to be the minimum that each is going for. I'd much rather sacrifice brahmos for more SAM units.

4 AK-630 and A-190 simply doesn't provide enough close in defense.

funtz

Ya, will have to wait to see what the configuration is. 48 has been around for some time.

I guess instead of brochure based decisions the IN might use their heads to come up with that figure, they have to use the ship after all, no use going for a configuration because every one else is going for it.

As for the Brahmos, i am just happy to see it with out some klubs :D

4 AK-630 and A-190 simply doesn't provide enough close in defense.
no clues :unknown , taking about the numbers or the guns?

Last edited:

kams

if each unit of Barak-NG are 8 cell like Barak, then that really is not enough for what is going to be the AAW ship of IN. Sorry, but 4 AK-640 and A-190 is not going to be that much help either.
Sorry for the delayed reply,

P-15A is not AAW ship, but multi role. I suspect P-17A series may be AAW, not sure though. It does have HUMSA hull mounted Sonar and Nagin towed sonar.

When the first Ship of P-15A was launched (INS Kolkata), a defence source put number of Barak NG to 48. That makes it 12 missiles/unit. But let's wait instead of speculation.

I would like to know more about Ak-630's as CIWS. You don't look too impressed by them, could you amplify your thoughts?

tphuang

Super Moderator
Sorry for the delayed reply,

P-15A is not AAW ship, but multi role. I suspect P-17A series may be AAW, not sure though. It does have HUMSA hull mounted Sonar and Nagin towed sonar.

When the first Ship of P-15A was launched (INS Kolkata), a defence source put number of Barak NG to 48. That makes it 12 missiles/unit. But let's wait instead of speculation.

I would like to know more about Ak-630's as CIWS. You don't look too impressed by them, could you amplify your thoughts?
it's generally believed in PLAN that 2 Kashtan or 2 Type 730 CIWS provides much better protection than 4 AK-630s. Of course, it also has something to do with the naval gun combat system on P-15A, which I obviously don't know, since I have no clue what kind of sensors IN use for air search and such.

Firehorse

Banned Member
..Russia plans to lease two nuclear submarines to India. The statement was made during his visit to the Amurskiy Shipyard in the Russian Far East in late January 2002. The shipyard is constructing the first submarine India would lease -- the Nerpa, a Shchuka B-class [NATO name 'Akula II'] nuclear-powered attack submarine (SSN). ..The second submarine, the Kuguar, is being constructed in the Far North at the Sevmash facility in Severodvinsk...The submarine lease may open the door to sales of nuclear submarines and highly enriched uranium fuel for the submarine's reactors. Although no country has ever sold a nuclear submarine, such sales are allowed under the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) because the treaty does not restrict naval propulsion reactors. http://cns.miis.edu/pubs/week/020218.htm
Well, I guess I've found an answer to my question- SSNs can be sold, not just leased!

ranajee

Indian court orders probe into French submarine deal

New Delhi (AFP) Dec 20, 2007
An Indian court on Thursday ordered police to complete a probe into charges that a bribe was paid in a multi-billion dollar deal to buy Scorpene submarines from a French defence firm.

The Delhi High Court told the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to complete its inquiry within three months and report back to a two-judge bench.
The judges also told the CBI to press criminal charges against "accused persons" if it could establish an offence had been committed in the 2.4 billion euro (three billion dollar) deal.
"In case CBI decides to close the case after the inquiry then it will have to satisfy the court that there was no evidence of kickbacks involved in the deal," judges T. S. Thakur and Veena Birbal said.
The order came a month after an Indian pressure group -- the Centre for Public Interest Litigation -- alleged New Delhi was shielding Indian middlemen who took commissions from French defence giant Thales, which owns Armaris, to clinch the deal.
Thales and the French government have denied the allegations.
Prashant Bhushan, who heads the pressure group, told the court that he doubted the intentions of the CBI, which had earlier this year abandoned an investigation into the bribery allegations.
"It has not done anything during the last 21 months and we fear it would submit a report without conducting a proper inquiry... We demand a full-fledged investigation," Bhushan said.
India in October last year signed contracts worth 2.4 billion euros with Armaris and European defence firm MBDA to buy six of the Franco-Spanish submarines.
The deal is a technology transfer agreement.
The Scorpenes will be assembled in India, but French naval group Direction des Compagnies Navales (DCN) will produce various key parts that require equipment unavailable at Indian shipyards.
India's main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party party has also alleged that four percent of the contract amount, estimated to be 100 million dollars, was paid to the brokers, one of whom is said to be close to the ruling Congress party.
Earlier this month, India said it was scrapping a 600-million-dollar deal to buy 197 military helicopters from the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS) after allegations of corruption in the bidding process.
India banned middlemen in military deals following charges of bribery in a multi-billion-dollar artillery deal in the 1980s with Swedish firm Bofors.
That scandal led to the downfall of the government of Congress prime minister Rajiv Gandhi in 1989.

Admin: additional comment deleted as it breached forum rules. please read the Forum Rules before making any further posts that include such commentary.

Last edited by a moderator:

contedicavour

Ouch if the allegations on either the helicopter deal or the Scorpene deal prove to be true that's quite a blow to the French defence industry. Probably most such deals include some very shady asides, but getting caught...:eek: ...

With the recent problems encountered in Morocco (with the F16 block 50s beating the Rafale) India is a key market where Dassault hopes to place Rafales (India does have 40 Mirage 2000s after all).

cheers

contedicavour

Oh and by the way, by selling Scorpene to India DCN probably lost any chance of selling more SSKs to Pakistan (which, surprise surprise, is now turning to U214). So if the deal with India proves to have involved corruption this is a really BIG blow...

cheers

rabirizvi

True but it will be a big set back to IN aswell.Their procurement plans will get delayed. if the corruption case is proved, can someone tell me if india will be able to renogiate the deal with DCN, or would they be required to refloat the tender for the submarine?

funtz

Dunno if scrapping the sub being built and the ones to follow will be economical, must have taken some money and effort to get the line operational.

legal procedure will take a long-long time, at this stage of the contract it will be carried through, and if the age old bofors scam is anything to go by, the contract will be carried out long before the verdict of the Delhi High Court comes.

People go with the lesser of two evils. ;)

A famous example is the Barak weapon system deal, the deal is being investigated by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
Dubious deal
V. VENKATESAN
in New Delhi

The CBI files a case on the allegations of corruption in the Barak missile system deal with Israel in 2000.
http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/fl2321/stories/20061103001804100.htm

This will really hurt the French when the contract for second line of submarines comes into being, and the associated defense firms might get into trouble. Similar stuff keeps on coming up in other Indian industrial sectors (payoffs, bribes etc.) especially the ones involving government organizations (and there are a lot of them).

It is very important that such payoffs/bribes are controlled through harsh steps, these guys walk away with a lot of money that can be utilized well, i hope that if the Court finds that the defense firms involved are found guilty, the whole deal is scrapped and all the money deposited back with the government, along with a 50 year ban on defense deals with the firms involved.

I think the current ministry of defense is taking active steps to get some transparency into the picture, hope that works out with the deal for 126 combat fighter aircrafts.

What is the global scene? i guess some payoffs/bribes must take place in defense deals, any famous ones?

Hope the people here have a nice new year party, and a wonderful new year, man i wish this was on the weekend, well cant change the time i guess.

funtz

India, Russia yet to reach 'breakthrough on Gorshkov'
9 Jan 2008, 1507 hrs IST,PTI

EW DELHI: India and Russia are yet to achieve a breakthrough on resolving the Gorshkov deal, which has been in a deadlock over pricing.

"There has been no major breakthrough, though discussions are on," Defence Minister A K Antony said on the sidelines of a function to launch the Golden Jubilee celebrations of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

India is supposed to get the delivery of the aircraft carrier next year, but the Russians told New Delhi that they cannot stick to the time schedule due to heavy cost overruns on the warship's upgrading.

In the new terms, Moscow is demanding USD 1.5 billion more for carrying out complex cabling work on the warship to integrate its command and control stations. Under the original deal concluded in 2004, India was to pay USD 1.2 billion for complete retrofitting of the carrier.

Antony said that negotiation teams from both countries had held a number of round of talks, but no breakthrough had been achieved yet. His remarks assume significance in the backdrop of an expected visit by a Russian delegation later this month here on the issue.

Though uncertainty over the delivery of the carrier continues, Russia is expected to stick to schedule on supplying the first batch of Mig-29K, the warship's main fighters by June next year.

The Defence Minister said that Malaysia had evinced interest in acquiring the surface to air Akash missiles.

"Malaysians got to hear about the 100 per cent successful trials and broached the subject of its acquisition during the talks," he said.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...akthrough_on_Groshkov/articleshow/2686282.cms

This is interesting, 1.5 billion USD extra, might as well stick to the old name and keep it in the russian navy the Mig-29K is already there to fly around in russian colours. Not much use having them on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.