Indian Air Force To Buy 126 Multi-Role Planes

rafale_2k5

Gripen is basically a potent air defence fighter, range two limited , Indias basically looking for a good multi role aircraft wiith good range and payload and for which the mirage2K5/9 fits in smoothly......

ajay_ijn

Gus do u know when IAF wanted Mirage-2000's in 1984 or 86,They wanted to procure a total of 150 Miarges but ended up with only 40,but HAL had build the assembly line to assemble other aircraft but due to some reason they could not.

Now IAF wants to select Mirage-2000-5 becoz it would be much easier for HAL to build.
If they select F-16,it would be very difficult for HAL.

I wonder why did US offer F-18s.
F-18s are carrier based aircraft and India already got Mig-29k for their carrier.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
ajay_ijn said:
F-18s are carrier based aircraft and India already got Mig-29k for their carrier.
India can't use them on her carriers anyway.

- one is too small in deck length and its catapults would not be able to launch them anyway

- the ex Russian carrier doesn't have catapults.

- the ADS doesn't have provision for catapults either IIRC.

ajay_ijn

India can't use them on her carriers anyway.

- one is too small in deck length and its catapults would not be able to launch them anyway

- the ex Russian carrier doesn't have catapults.

- the ADS doesn't have provision for catapults either IIRC.
Thats what I wanted to say,
I always wanted Indian ACs to have CTOL rather than VSTOL
if Indian Carriers cannot use then what for US is offering.
For Land Based purpose??
Can we use a Carrier based Plane in an Airforce,I mean for Land Based?
F-18 is truly a gr8 Aircraft.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
ajay_ijn said:
Can we use a Carrier based Plane in an Airforce,I mean for Land Based?
Carrier based aircraft are far more robust - they have to be for constant traps and launches. You can use them anyway you like. I could be wrong, but IIRC all of the Euro F-18 users are still tail hooked. The Oz ones aren't.

A

Aussie Digger

Some of the RAAF F/A-18's still have tail hooks, but not all. The pretty blue one at Avalon certainly didn't... AS to the Land based use of "carrier" designed aircraft, Canada, Australia, Switzerland, Finland and Malaysia all use F/A-18's and none of them possess a carrier. Spain also uses them, but doesn't possess a carrier capable of operating F/A-18's.

You are right, the F-18 series of fighters have been very good. Along with the F-16, they have really cmented the "multi-role" combat aircraft concept amongst modern airforces. An aircraft that is simultaneously (and equally as) capable of Within/Beyond visual range air to air combat and precision strike missions is truly an asset for an airforce...

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
I think India havent decided for which AC's should they go for when they are not gettinh the F-16's they say that they do not need them and when they are getting them they say there is no other plane like F-16's so people let the deciasion come from Indian Govt.

" Grapes are sour" :p:

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
Some of the RAAF F/A-18's still have tail hooks, but not all. The pretty blue one at Avalon certainly didn't... AS to the Land based use of "carrier" designed aircraft, Canada, Australia, Switzerland, Finland and Malaysia all use F/A-18's and none of them possess a carrier. Spain also uses them, but doesn't possess a carrier capable of operating F/A-18's.

You are right, the F-18 series of fighters have been very good. Along with the F-16, they have really cmented the "multi-role" combat aircraft concept amongst modern airforces. An aircraft that is simultaneously (and equally as) capable of Within/Beyond visual range air to air combat and precision strike missions is truly an asset for an airforce...
The CF-18 in Canadian forces are basically F/A-18A/B without the tail hooks and added night identification spotlights. There is a plan to upgrade these birds into C/D standard, however the program is running slow due to tight budget from DoD. I guess the reason Aussies, Canadian, Switz, and Finish chose them is because of their flexibility. It is capable of switching its role from air superiority to precision strike in mid-air, which is very appealing to many smaller AF who can't afford the dedicated single mission fighters.

Any upgrade plans for Aussie Hornets?

A

Aussie Digger

Yep the Australian Hornets have been undergoing various phases of the Hornet upgrade Program (HUG) since around 1998. The first phase has been completed and included new mission computers, upgraded EW, additional multi-plex buses etc. The major effect of the first phase of enhancements allowed RAAF Hornets to carry AIM-120C AMRAAM as their principal A2A weapon and increased their abilities in "high-threat" environs.

Phase 2 is still underway and includes new APG-73 radars, new RWR, new digital full colour moving map displays, JHMCS, ASRAAM missile incorporation, new counter measure dispensing systems (it's likely to be the Swedish BOL system), new IR/EO targetting pods (ATFLIR, Sniper XR or Litening AT). A full new EWSP system (including internal jammers) is to be included in addition to the RWR and CMDS. Phase 2 is mostly completed, with the RWR/CMDS, JHMCS and new targetting pods to be fitted and integrated with the remainder of the fleet. 2x Hornets have so far completed Phase 2 and were handed over to the RAAF in March.

Phase 3 will include (i) refurbishment and enhancement of several of the airframe components of the Hornets and (ii) the addition of new "centre barrels) for up to 43 of our Hornets to ensure they reach their life of type in 2015 or further if necessary.

There are also several related programs to the HUG such as the Bomb Improvement program (ie: obtaining Satellite guided munitions; JDAM or Enhanced Paveway II and possibly the SDB) and new standoff weapons ( Taurus KEPD 350, JASSM or SLAM-ER or a combination of these)...

An additional weapons type known as the "Littoral support weapon" is still a requirement for the RAAF, though what type of weapon this is, is a matter of speculation at present as nothing has been formally released about this. I can only presume it will be a weapon type such as Brimstone or Maverick as this is just about the only weapon type missing from the RAAF inventory that the RAAF is likely to acquire...

AS you can see the RAAF HUG is pretty comprehensive and is addressing basically every area of the Hornets combat capability. RAAF Hornets are regarded, thanks to these upgrades (in reports I've read) as amongst the most capable Hornets (of any type) in service... The only thing they lack IMHO is a decent pair of CFT's so that a couple of weapons stations can be freed up...

I presume the Canadian Hornet upgrade will be similar?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I was under the impression that Canada was going to try and piggy back off the RAAF HUG upgrades so as to save development costs etc...

highsea

The CF-18 HUG is about the same, though I don't think they have to do the center barrel replacements. This is the list according to Boeing's ECP 583:

AN/APG-73 Radar
AN/APX-111 IFF
Collins AN/ARC-210 RT-1556/ARC VHF/UHF Radio
AN/AYK-14 XN-8 Mission Computer (2)
AN/AYQ-9 Stores Management System
A new GPS/INS (not sure which one)
AIM-120 to replace AIM-7
Link 16
JHMCS+AIM-9X/IRIS-T
Navigation Systems/Northrup Grumman MFD's (the same ones that will go in the RAAF F-18's).

Edit to add: I just had another look at the CF-18 refits- apparently there were 5 center barrel replacements that were finished up last year. -CM

Last edited: