Indian Air Force To Buy 126 Multi-Role Planes

P.A.F

because a country needs millions if not billions to research and design such weapons and most countries don't have the funds to do such thing and america and europeans do. that is why countries buy goodies of these nations.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
P.A.F said:
because a country needs millions if not billions to research and design such weapons and most countries don't have the funds to do such thing and america and europeans do. that is why countries buy goodies of these nations.
P.A.F you say lol that it needs billions of dollars say then countries spend billion dollars on that too why dont one make advancement in the aircraft industry it will take a bit more billions but then you can call that this thing is yours dont you remember that when Pakistan was going to build its WAH factories previously we were getting weapons from other countries.Those all countries said that why do you make trouble for your self you will inject technology build infrastructure , trained labour and other headaces like that. But Pakistan took a stand towards indegnousity and now there are 13-14 factories providing small arms bombs handgranates bullets machine guns etc and other then that also supplying the solid and liquid fuel for missiles too .there are also exports are going on the exports are off small arms and guns etc and its growing.

I know its difficult in the begining but when you have done then you are the country to get respect from other countries.

P.A.F

well if your talking about pakistan then all i can say is that pakistan isn't in the position of making B-2 and F-117's because we simply ain't skilled enough to make such technology. it took america many many year to make these planes and there workforce was good at the time. now as pakistan now stands, i don't think they can build such planes because workforce isn't trained and plus the money isn't there to build these kind of planes.;). JF-17 is all we can manage at the moment and that is with a lot of chinese help and input.

vrus

Srirangan, you are always a help. Thanks. I think it would be good if you could have a good combat plane from each country. As far as my knowledge goes, I don't think India has any American planes. What do you people think ? Should we have any ? Also, is it possible to get an aircraft from another nation take it apart and learn how to produce it in case you have sanctions imposed on sale of that aircraft ?

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
vrus said:
Srirangan, you are always a help. Thanks. I think it would be good if you could have a good combat plane from each country. As far as my knowledge goes, I don't think India has any American planes. What do you people think ? Should we have any ? Also, is it possible to get an aircraft from another nation take it apart and learn how to produce it in case you have sanctions imposed on sale of that aircraft ?
lol....u cant go on buying every air craft produced by any country. U have to consider which one suits ur forces, ur geographic placement, cost & price etc. Than from amongs them the best option is to select about 3 veriants of ACs or at the max 4. Otherwise u would be facing high cost of maintainance, training etc. In the end u wont be able to pay enough to ur pilots & they would start leaving & no one would be left to fly them.

vrus

When I said a good combat plane from every country, I meant the best and what suits your Air Force the most. You seem to know a lot. Why don't you start your own airforce ? :D Compliment !What happened to those P-3 C Orions ? Are they one of the 126 MRCA ?

P.A.F

P-3C orions are for survailance. they are not MRCA (Multi-Role Combat Aircraft). india are looking at the Mirage, f-16, f-18, Mig-29, gripen and any ohers i haven't mentioned for the MRCA role.

srirangan

Banned Member
Imho American planes are not worth it. F 18's maybe, yeah. But aren't they too expensive?
The rest I concur with SABRE.

mysterious

kashif, what are you? 10? B-2 and F-117 are not children's toys. They need expertise and skills to be built which apparently countries lack along with the infrastructure and the industry needed and hence, we dont see Barkina Faso building its 'stealth jets'!!

P.A.F

calm down man myst. the guy just asked a question and it was answered. now pakistan building bombers isn't part of this topic.
Back to topic!!!

rafale_2k5

If i were in the IAF my best bet would be M2k9 plus the MIG-29 SMT, THE mig-29ers to assuage Russian worries n also to prevent any sales to Pakistan from any of these two sources(Russian n French), since we have to see that Scorpion deal is pretty much cleared . so india can be in a position to dictate its terms to the French n Russians. Since US-Pak relations r like changin weather because u may never know wen the situation changes since Pakistan already got its hands full ranging from democracy to proliferation isssues!!!!! so if india could buy off these two major providers Pakistan would have little left except of tow chaining the Chinese line.....

P.A.F

india may be able to prevent russia from selling advanced weapons to pakistan but it sure can't tell france what to do. if the PAF wanted to get some mirage 2000s or even rafale today france would take the deal on no problem no matter what india says. anyway i agree with you on the Mig-29 and mirage 2K. india is most likely to go for them.
anyway in 99.99% of articles i've read on india buying 126 MRCA, i always come across the gripen. can someone tell me there view on how likely it is that india would go for these????

srirangan

Banned Member
Not very likely PAF. Mirage 2000 is the IAF;s weapon of choice. Ofcourse the govt is trying to get the American's UNSC support and nuclear status in exchange for an F-16 deal. I cannot provide a link, these are rumours floating around. Grippen is neither preferred by the forces nor holds any diplomatic value for the politicians.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
P.A.F said:
india may be able to prevent russia from selling advanced weapons to pakistan but it sure can't tell france what to do. if the PAF wanted to get some mirage 2000s or even rafale today france would take the deal on no problem no matter what india says. anyway i agree with you on the Mig-29 and mirage 2K. india is most likely to go for them.
anyway in 99.99% of articles i've read on india buying 126 MRCA, i always come across the gripen. can someone tell me there view on how likely it is that india would go for these????
P.A.F thell me that US will surely supply Paksitan F-16's I am saying this because Pakisatn paid for then earlier but Pakistan didnt received the F-16's i think the second best for Pakistan will be mirages caz paksitan have some of them and the FC-1 are present for theit support.

adsH

rafale_2k5 said:
india can be in a position to dictate its terms to the French
Take it or leave it !! French Attitude, you either will or not Buy there weapon systems. France has other Large scale Markets then India, if India would prefer the Russians then Go and get some form them. the French nor the American would ever deny a weapon system solely based on pressure from another. you should of Worked that out By now.

Russia is exclusive to Indian Market Based on Economic reason. that is Absurd they sell weapon systems to China, which is Hostile to India. Russia's attitude towards pakistan is based on the Role played by the Pakistani's in the Soviet Afghan War. Russia would love to See Pakistan Torn apart dismantled, and india is Just cashing onn the Goal.

mysterious

IAF says it’s not interested in US F-16s or F-18s
By Iftikhar Gilani

NEW DELHI: The Indian Air Force (IAF) is not interested in American F-16 or F-18 aircraft as they are prone to human error-related accidents, said sources citing Air Marshal PS Ahluwalia.

Sources said that Ahluwalia, director general of Inspection and Air Safety, gave a presentation to the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS), where he showed that human error-related accidents in the F-16s had occurred more frequently than in Mirage 2000s.

It was this presentation that clinched the committee’s decision to clear purchase of 12 Mirage-2000-Vs. The committee was also told that the IAF was finding difficulties in managing the 20 different types of aircraft and would not like to add new makes of aircraft that would complicate the inventory further.

However, Ahluwalia also said the IAF would not like to depend on a single supplier. “It may not be prudent to put all our eggs in one basket, but it would reduce the efforts in terms of maintenance practices by opting for a familiar supplier,†said the air marshal hinting that not only the US firm Lockheed Martin’s F-16s and F-18s are not in the reckoning but even Sweden’s SAAB would not be able to sell its Gripen to India.

There is heavy pressure from global defence companies and their governments since India declared its intent to acquire 126 multi-role fighters but only two companies from France and Russia are being considered for the deal on grounds of familiarity, the Dassault Aviation of France offering Mirage 2000-V and Russia’s double-engine MiG-29M/M2.

Ahluwalia said the IAF was currently modernising its 12 squadrons of MiG-21 fighters by upgrading them to MiG-21 ‘Bisons’. “The MiG-21 is our mainstay and is highly efficient and will continue to fill our requirements till 2016,†added the air marshal.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_5-4-2005_pg7_42

Like I've always said and predicted, its all come down to the Mirages and the Migs because the other contenders wouldn't simply 'fit' well in to the IAF inventory. F-16s and/or F-18s will complicate situation cuz of new logistical setup required (adding another 'type' to the 20 that IAF already operates) while Gripen in addition to the above mentioned reason is a point-defense fighter jet and wouldn't really 'fit' in to IAF's operational needs. Now lets see who wins big, Mirages or Migs. :coffee

adsH

mysterious said:

NEW DELHI: The Indian Air Force (IAF) is not interested in American F-16 or F-18 aircraft as they are prone to human error-related accidents, said sources citing Air Marshal PS Ahluwalia.

Sources said that Ahluwalia, director general of Inspection and Air Safety, gave a presentation to the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS), where he showed that human error-related accidents in the F-16s had occurred more frequently than in Mirage 2000s.

i do object to that!! F-16 is an evolving AC, it continues to logs larger Flight hours in Hot situations, its is used for Low altitude flying, although the USAF has changed the Low ALTitude-flight policy, the Onboard Computers can handle low altitude flights and can easily allow the Pilots greater Capabilities. the Mirage is still a competitive Platform.

P.A.F

looks like the French and Russians remain in the race:coffee. don't know how they turned down the gripen though:confused: