Ideas, suggestions, etc. for Defence Talk?

samritakumar

How did you found out about Defence Talk?

Interesting. DT does get a lot of hits from search engines.

We use to have phpbb forum but that has changed since last december.

What part isn't user friendly? How do you think it should be?

thanks
I've heard of this trick once before

HotWar1989

cold war

Hi Folks,

I just want to get a general idea on these three items, would really appreciate if you can take some time to answer:

1. How did you found about Defence Talk?
  2. Your first impression?
  3. Thoughts on promoting the site?
I could put up a pop up survey script but that is just annoying and I don't like it and for the same reason I think DT visitors and members won't either.

Thanks, enjoy!
I think we should talk about the greatest war that never happened
The Warsaw/NATO war 1989
im actually trying to write a book about the conflict happening in this time period and anybody that can help me would be greatly appreciated
:hippie

Ocean1Curse

Hi Folks,

I just want to get a general idea on these three items, would really appreciate if you can take some time to answer:

I could put up a pop up survey script but that is just annoying and I don't like it and for the same reason I think DT visitors and members won't either.

Thanks, enjoy!
1- like most I found DT through a google search. Was looking for debate forums.
2- first impressions was this site is old school and is easy on the eyes with less visual clutter.
3- thoughts on promoting would be more of the same because that's what makes this site unique. More deleting nonsense posts that don't further debate. Land and sea power 101's for new and novice members like Air power 101 pinned in the airforce & aviation forum. I didn't say a like button cause people don't click like on truth full comments. The ability to post youtube thumbnails that play clips with in posts would be nice. My suggestion is a capability tree where the more senior the member. The more that person can do on this site with out being a mod.

Adioz

Can we have a forum for discussions on specific battle environments. For example, a new forum with seperate threads for:-
1. Desert Warfare
2. Jungle Warfare
3. Mountain Warfare
4. Urban Warfare
5. Amphibious Warfare
to discuss these in a combined arms formation format.
Also, a forum to discuss military history (WW-II onwards maybe).
Thank you.:)

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Random question, didn't see a troubleshooting/bugs thread so it felt good to put it here:

After several tries, I am unable to get my avatar to load. I've posted it into my folder, but it keeps showing up as blank. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Random question, didn't see a troubleshooting/bugs thread so it felt good to put it here:

After several tries, I am unable to get my avatar to load. I've posted it into my folder, but it keeps showing up as blank. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
send me your avatar and I'll try loading it as an admin

done from my end, but as I've disabled java on my computer I don't see any avatars - so no idea if successful :)

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I can't see mine, in fact the only avatar I can see is Assails (with the dog IIRC).

the road runner

In posts ...i can see the post of what people have written ,but i can not see the persons name or avatar who has posted...

Some days (like today) i can see the name of who has posted , but not the persons avatar..

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
In posts ...i can see the post of what people have written ,but i can not see the persons name or avatar who has posted...

Some days (like today) i can see the name of who has posted , but not the persons avatar..
And I can't see your avatar too. Thanks for reporting the issue to the team.

JohnWolf

Hi Folks,

Thanks, enjoy!
1- I was actually a member about a dozen years ago. I came back when the sites I was involved in devolved into horrific Political messes, and in some cases were shut-down entirely because things became too toxic.
2- Its nice here, but quiet... I'll do what I can to liven things up a little.
3- I really don't know much about promoting things in the Net, have you thought about Dsicord?

Pusser Tas

Re: How did you found out about Defence Talk? 1. I actually came across this site twice before i signed up, the first time i was just looking for military photos, mostly ones of collins class subs The second time i had searched on google for collins class subs because i wanted to read about them, and i found a few forums where gf0012 had posted, and i ended up reading his comments about them on this one (the other one was a weird layout, like a long message board type one). 2. My first impression was that its a relatively small forum but with a lot of knowledgable people on it, and that its layout was pretty similar to most forums ive seen on the net (the whole phpbb type thing). 3. My only idea for promoting the site would be to maybe add more media or give the media part a more user friendly layout, i think that could get more people visiting, but then again, i guess that puts a lot of stress on the servers and stuff

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro