Hypothetical Scenario 1- Serengeti City-State War

GI-Gizmo

Hypothetical Scenario 1 -
I sometimes think of scenarios and how they could be fought. It usually consists of two small forces facing eachother. Imagine two small, land-locked city-states on the African Serengeti plains, a great place for armored warfare. They both have populations of about 2 million each and are both developing states with one major city and a few smaller cities. Land size is also small, both about the size of Connecticut. The populations are both prosperous and educated for the area and devoted to their nations. They are bitter enemies and about to clash in battle. You are in command of State A; The army has 300 tanks M-60A3, 675 AFV M-113, RN-94 & Pandur I/II, 100 SPA M-109A5 & MLRS and 800 artillery pieces. The air wing consists of 4 airbases using 20 upgraded F-4s, 16 Hawk attack jets and 16 Super Tucanos, The helo fleet is 70 UH-1s, 24 MD-500s and 12 A-129 attack helos. The troops use G-3 standard issue rifles, FN Minimi and MG-3 MGs, 51mm mortars, AT4 and TOW missiles and M-21 and .50 sniper rifles. Air Defense assets are modern AAM for the jets, 20 Gepard SPAAG and 6 Spyder SPAD.
State B; The enemy army has 500 T-55 & 150 T-72 tanks, 730 BMP-1/2 & MT-LB armored vehicles, 60 SPA, 500 artillery pieces and 4,000 short range rockets and 600 FROG-7 & SCUD missiles, mostly mobile. The enemy has no air power except for 35 aging Mi-8 helos, 10 other helos and 5 L-39s operating from their int'l airport. Enemy troops are armed with AK-74 standard issue rifle, RPD & PKM MGs, RPG-7, RPG-18 & Kornet-E missiles, draganov and M93 .50 sniper rifles. Their air defense assets are SA-7, Mistral and RBS-70 MANPADs, Tunguska and ZSU-23-4 SPAD, SA-2, SA-3 and S-200D (6 total) SAM sites and heavy AAA around key sites. Both sides are only armed with conventional munitions and are not supported by outside powers. They are both under embargo and have stockpiled what they think they need to win and also have a limited manufacturing capability, Side A has an advantage in manf output. Both sides have good moral and are dedicated to protecting their nations. Side A manpower is 135k and 200k reserve, Side B has 160k, 70k reserve and a 5k terrorist militia with ruthless tactics.
It is day 1 of conflict, 0600, sunny & warm. The border face-off is boiling over and about to erupt. Intel says Side B will attack at dusk and is finalizing preperations, you are ordered to launch a pre-emptive attack. What do you do?

Commander Cody

Okay. First off, I would form into three regiments of 45,000 men, 75 tanks, 20 M-109A5’s, 160 AFV’s 200 artillery pieces, 4 F-4’s, 4 Hawk attack jets, 4 Tuscanos, 15 UH-1’s, 6 MD-500’s, and 2 A-129’s . The reserve will consist of the 200k men, 75 tanks, 40 M109A5’s, 195 AFV’s,200 Artillery pieces, 8 F-4’s, 4 Hawk’s, and 4 Tuscanos, 25 UH-1’s, 6 MD-500’s, and 6 A-129’s. The three regiments form a divisionary attack force,while the reserve strike quickly, fastroping from helos and driving in with the AFV’s.
Very intriguing idea. Sorry for the late post.

Kilo 2-3

And where, pray tell, did these "small land-locked countries" get the money for these armies and air forces? It isn't beyond the realm of possibility, but it strikes me as an awful lot of assets for two nations which presumably don't have a lot of resources.

The tanks, helicopters, and fast movers are going to need quite lot of maintenance, especially at high optempos. Actual, deployable aasets and the force on paper are going to differ, especially as attrition mounts in the opening phases of the conflict.

So, what would I do?

A pre-emptive strike in broad daylight against isn't going to end well. I'd attempt a defense in depth. Force them to move over minefields, tank ditches etc. then counterattack with armor, mechanized infantry, attack helos and the fast movers as the opportunity presents itself. This will disrupt their battle rhythm and present my air forces with a reduced enemy air defense (their less-mobile AAA and SAMs will be less effective in and offensive situation than a defensive one).