How to properly exit Iraq?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merocaine

I think if there was a clear stratgic direction to all this, it would be easier to come up with a coherent policy. At the moment all this seems to be about saving face, the towel has been thrown in and the Americans want out. Thats not a policy. If a decision was made to settle with Syria and Iran, in return for concerted effort by all Iraqs neighbours stabilise the country, then maybe something be salvaged. Otherwise a stricken Iraq will be victimised by its neighbours for the foreseeable future.
Somalia has been forgotten I agree, but whats in Somalia? stratgicly its a non entity, Iraq on the other hand has large proven oil reserves, and is next door to Americas biggest muslim allie and two most implacable foes. Its far to important to walk away from.

abramsteve

Forget about the oil, forget about the WMDs, the current violence in Iraq has nothing to do with these. IMO 'staying the course' is the only option with any hope for a long term success. But I dont really know how unfortunatley. Thats the hard part and until recently thought thats why we governments :D

If we leave now, the will extremist keep killing each other and innocents, the average Iraqi will keep suffering and we end up with nothing but hate. Splitting them into indivdual nations I doubt would stop the violence, we'd only get more blood and more hate but this time it would be state sanctioned.

Why not keep them as a nation, but split them up into somthing like a state. Somthing where they can to a certain extent govern themselves and different aspects of their laws, but still be untied as a nation? It wouldnt stop the killing right now, but it might put this 'democracy train' back on track?:)

FutureTank

Banned Member
Is'ent that how the British got most of the empire, 'well we cant leave because the Russians/french/germans/ will move in' or the blood thristy locals will take over, or both.
On observation not a critisim.
The British Army had a different set of ROE in the 19th Century :ar15

FutureTank

Banned Member
I thought it was funny when Blair tried to link it to the 'palestinian' problem, so they decided to help out by shooting each other out of the picture :D

FutureTank

Banned Member

How to properly exit Iraq?:confused:

1) Increase Troops for faster and easier exit?
The most realistic options in my eyes.

2) Get Iraqi neighbors involved?
-personally i think this one is not an option

3) Break it up into three countries?
-like one part for the shi muslims and other part for the sunni muslims

4) Get out and let Iraqis worry about their country?
-Simple but not effective i think.
What I find interesting is that not one commentator has so far suggested the indirect approach...and this includes people who lecture at West Point. No wonder the Pentagon is stuffed :)

caksz

split the country is temporay solutions , there will be an organise fight in the
future which cost more lives due to split.
iraqi need a new leader that the iraqi will fear :p , new saddam :eek:nfloorl:

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
At this point I would tell the new Iraqi government that you have two years to get your military trained and eliminate all the corruption, aiding and supporting the same turds that are killing Americans and their own people. After two years we will only be there as advisors only, this way we can save some face and get out of there and start placing the burden back on the Iraqi government, if they fail so be it, let the Middle Eastern countries deal with them along with the Europeans, Iran will prosper from this military blunder that my country embarked on, lets see if Europe is willing to have a Middle Eastern country like Iran with missles that can reach out and touch them.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
What I find interesting is that not one commentator has so far suggested the indirect approach...and this includes people who lecture at West Point. No wonder the Pentagon is stuffed :)
what - we have a West point lecturer amongst our presence.

olkiej

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The British Army had a different set of ROE in the 19th Century :ar15

This all is a game man, there is no Iraq or Syria or whatever. Its all a invention, too split all the arabi countries and make weak countries. Saddam tried 2 reunite the arab countries, but he didnt succeed.

*sorry for my bad-English*

Grand Danois

Entertainer
This all is a game man, there is no Iraq or Syria or whatever. Its all a invention, too split all the arabi countries and make weak countries. Saddam tried 2 reunite the arab countries, but he didnt succeed.

*sorry for my bad-English*
Haven't most Arabic leaders tried to reunite the Arab countries in the past, as they felt themselves to be the leaders of pan-Arabism. I think that idea went out of fashion some time (decades) ago. ;)

The US (or the West) don't need to play "divide and rule" games.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Haven't most Arabic leaders tried to reunite the Arab countries in the past, as they felt themselves to be the leaders of pan-Arabism. I think that idea went out of fashion some time (decades) ago. ;)

The US (or the West) don't need to play "divide and rule" games.
No western nation will ever have any success in conducting this game in the Middle East, history has alway`s proven this.

FutureTank

Banned Member
At this point I would tell the new Iraqi government that you have two years to get your military trained and eliminate all the corruption, aiding and supporting the same turds that are killing Americans and their own people.
Eckerl, hence the reaso all that money has disappeared. The ME is famous for its 'leadership' escaping 'political persecution' to live out their lives in France and Switzerland :eek:nfloorl:

Khairul Alam

For ppl who support the splitting of Iraq into 3 parts, i just want to say that the task is almost impossible. The sunnis are predominant in central Iraq, where few or no oil fields are present. If the sunnis were to be given only that part of Iraq, while the shiites and the Kurds take oil-rich southern and northern parts of Iraq respectively, the sunnis would continue to fight to obtain more oil fields or whatever. So no use at all of splitting Iraq.

olkiej

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For ppl who support the splitting of Iraq into 3 parts, i just want to say that the task is almost impossible. The sunnis are predominant in central Iraq, where few or no oil fields are present. If the sunnis were to be given only that part of Iraq, while the shiites and the Kurds take oil-rich southern and northern parts of Iraq respectively, the sunnis would continue to fight to obtain more oil fields or whatever. So no use at all of splitting Iraq.
dude , nothing is impossible

FutureTank

Banned Member
And how would Baghdad be divided?

Status
Not open for further replies.