Hamas-Israeli War 2023

Big_Zucchini

What’s very different from this war and previous clashes/incursions is the level of public consciousness its spread to various people around the world. South Africa, countries in South Asia and others are to be expected but Sami reindeer herders in remote Norway is unexpected to say the least.

Which is a positive thing. It's a serious undertaking for any nation to rise from a state of complacency. But with all these hostile entities popping to the surface - it's a whole lot easier. The realization starts to set in in the UK, France, USA, and hopefully in Norway as well. Internal enemies are much more difficult to deal with than external ones, and it's due time they start preparing.

South Africa is actually an excellent example you brought up. It was very insignificant on the geopolitical stage, but its claims of genocide at the ICJ have highlighted the danger of a South African genocide of its own Afrikaner population, and a threat that we may have to be ready for in the future.

Big_Zucchini

Journalist for pro-Netanyahu propaganda media Channel 14, Shimon Riklin, irresponsibly violates gag order and reveals classified information which in turn reveals an intelligence capability of the IDF.

It can be revealed that around the time of the October 7th massacre, Hamas's Nujba force members inserted Israeli SIM cards into their phones to enable communication inside Israel. This was tracked in real time by the IDF. Of course, actionable intel does not necessarily mean that a reaction will occur in time.

The IDF's ability to track this in real time is a classified capability and its revelation may be a serious crime.

STURM

South Africa is actually an excellent example you brought up. It was very insignificant on the geopolitical stage, but its claims of genocide at the ICJ have highlighted the danger of a South African genocide of its own Afrikaner population, and a threat that we may have to be ready for in the future.
I believe the example I made by referencing South Africa and the example you came up up with are poles apart. I’m aware of certain issues the white or Afrikaner population [the former overlords of the country] are facing but I see no cause to even bring the word “genocide” into the equation.

The difference with what’s going on in the occupied Palestinian territories and what white South Africans are facing at present is as different as night and day or the Lapland and the Kalahari desert. I would also like to add that the Afrikaners you mentioned oversaw a system of racism which to some white South Africans has parallels to Israeli policy towards the Palestinians.

Last edited:

Big_Zucchini

I believe the example I made by referencing South Africa and the example you came up up with are poles apart. I’m aware of certain issues the white or Afrikaner population [the former overlords of the country] are facing but I see no cause to even bring the word “genocide” into the equation.

The difference with what’s going on in the occupied Palestinian territories and what white South Africans are facing at present is as different as night and day or the Lapland and the Kalahari desert. I would also like to add that the Afrikaners you mentioned oversaw a system of racism which to some white South Africans has parallels to Israeli policy towards the Palestinians.
The reason I raised the word "Genocide" is because South Africa erroneously attempted to accuse Israel of genocide at the ICJ, which the court subsequently ruled against. This maneuver was presumably done in an effort to conceal their own ramping up racism against the Afrikaners.

It is true that some Afrikaners may think this way, that there are parallels between their apartheid system and Israel's policy toward Palestinians, but it does not detract from the fact that it is objectively patently false.
I will ignore the Owen Jones video because admittedly, Owen Jones is doing disinformation, which is a bad thing obviously.
Any person who is capable of reason and logical thinking will inevitably reach the conclusion that there is no system of apartheid in Israel, nullifying the entire argument.

I would also like to point out that previously practicing apartheid does not mean it is okay to genocide them in the future.

Last edited:

STURM

The reason I raised the word "Genocide" is because South Africa erroneously attempted to accuse Israel of genocide at the ICJ,
I only have two things to say [1] I don’t agree with the “erroneously” part made reference to the blacks supposedly partaking in their own version of “genocide” against the Afrikaners. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Any person who is capable of reason and logical thinking will inevitably reach the conclusion that there is no system of apartheid in Israel, nullifying the entire argument.
How convenient.

I will ignore the Owen Jones video because admittedly, Owen Jones is doing disinformation, which is a bad thing obviously
You would say that wouldnt you. That’s your opinion but nobody gets to his channel to watch or listen to him. They watch and listen to his guests. They’re the ones who do the bulk of the talking; not him.

I would also like to point out that previously practicing apartheid does not mean it is okay to genocide them.
I actually agree with you but nobody said otherwise.

Big_Zucchini

I only have two things to say [1] I don’t agree with the “erroneously” part made reference to the blacks supposedly partaking in their own version of “genocide” against the Afrikaners. Nothing could be further from the truth.
I said potentially in the future. Not at the moment. South Africa's case relied primarily on evidence of Israeli politicians calling to kill Palestinians. This the ICJ rightfully deemed insufficient evidence, as there will always be extremists that represent fringe political groups.
To make myself clear I do not believe they are going to genocide their white population, rather that it's ironic how they practice the very same thing they accused Israel of doing, presumably to deflect from their own internal issues, in turn only highlighting them and putting those issues at the global center stage for a short while. I guess people used to like the ANC for supposedly being the champions of anti-apartheid, but man, are they terrible at being an actual government...

You would say that wouldnt you. That’s your opinion but nobody gets to his channel to watch or listen to him. They watch and listen to his guests. They’re the ones who do the bulk of the talking; not him.
I get that. Shortly after 7/10 I discovered Piers Morgan. I appreciated how he brought forward different figures but I also understood he had an agenda. Fortunately for me that agenda aligned with an agenda of mine to show the true colors of extremists and bigots in a way accessible to everyone.
So I understand why in all these videos you linked Owen Jones invites actual nutjobs, but his own agenda sets the theme, and if his personal agenda involves disinformation (I actually see lots of his posts on Twitter, for some reason he's recommended to me frequently), then the theme itself will be just disinformation passed as pseudo-facts. Just saying it's worth being careful around his content.

How convenient.
Disinformation requires mental gymnastics that are, specifically for me, less comfortable than just saying what I really feel. The word "apartheid" is used liberally when talking about Israel and in itself is a result of a blood libel according to which Jews will necessarily see themselves as superior to others, when in reality anyone who visits Israel can see that there is no such form of racial discrimination.

STURM

- Being marginalised and being the victim of genocide are 2 very different things. Maybe you have an oracle you can consult but I see no indication that the white African minority in South Africa will be the victims of genocide carried out by the black majority in the future.

- I have no idea what your personal definition is of “nutjob “ but the likes of Avi Shlaim; Major General [Rtd] Charlie Herbert; Miko Peled and Illan Pappe [he wrote an excellent book in the Nakba] can hardly be described as “nutjobs” unless your definition of the term is to describe anyone who speaks of things which are at odds with your narrative; which is the impression I get. None of them also appear to be “bigots” or “extremists” in fact they do a good job telling us about the “bigots” or “extremists” driving Israeli policy.

Anyhow I actually posted the videos for other members whom I’m sure will form their own opinions.

Last edited:

Big_Zucchini

- Being marginalised and being the victim of genocide are 2 very different things. Maybe you have an oracle you can consult but I see no indication that the white African minority in South Africa will be the victims of genocide carried out by the black majority in the future.

- I have no idea what your personal definition is of “nutjob “ but the likes of Avi Shlaim; Major General [Rtd] Charlie Herbert; Miko Peled and Illan Pappe [he wrote an excellent book in the Nakba] can hardly be described as “nutjobs” unless your definition of the term is to describe anyone who speaks of things which are at odds with your narrative; which is the impression I get. None of them also appear to be “bigots” or “extremists” in fact they do a good job telling us about the “bigots” or “extremists” driving Israeli policy.

Anyhow I actually posted the videos for other members whom I’m sure will form their own opinions.
You didn't really read my comment, did you?
Won't bother answering again then.

EDIT:
Look @STURM I know that your worldview is "left leaning" and I know what it's like because I was at one point also a lefty. But a political/worldview should be a filter through which to perceive facts a certain way, and not a filter that removes facts and creates comfortable ones instead. There are certain universal truths that should not be denied just because of one's political leaning.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the context of populated areas it is a founded claim, with the rationale deriving from understanding the RoE, which was publicly debated on numerous occasions and is therefore understandable to the public.
A normative document like an ROE doesn't prove actual facts on the ground. If taken at face value it's a statement of intent. And I'm not sold we can take it at face value. You may have implicit trust for the IDF. I do not, nor do many others. Continuing to argue on that premise won't persuade anyone.

Population density at any given moment in any given area is something known only to the IDF and potentially other agencies - none of which share precise data with the public. The methodology of matching strike parameters to any given level of population density is not public knowledge.
What we do know is, one, the RoE which I've mentioned earlier, and open source information indicating whether and at what capacity evacuation occurs. For example in the weeks preceding the ground incursion into northern Gaza we have seen a mass evacuation, and later and into the ground campaign itself we have seen additional evacuation waves facilitated by the IDF. Other indicative forms of open source information are the perceived level of threat to troops on the ground - For example a more relaxed posture indicates a more liberated area, as well as reports from the ground and unit concentrations. A high concentration that includes reservists might indicate evacuation efforts in the area, typically facilitated by reservists.

The levels of population we can be aware of are roughly whether an area is completely, pre-war levels populated, somewhat depopulated indicated by unquantifiable evacuations, largely depopulated as indicated by intuitively significant evacuations (e.g. first mass evacuation pre-incursion), and nearly depopulated as indicated by reports on the ground and potentially (and less reliably) combat footage.
The less populated an area is - the more justifiable unguided munition usage becomes.
While we cannot quantify things with excellent resolution, we can have a 'feel' for things by analyzing indicative information patterns.
For example we can say with high certainty that Rafah is highly populated, based on reports from all sides, as well as up-to-date satellite imagery. We can similarly say that northern Gaza was recently largely depopulated and is now repopulating due to reports from all sides that people are returning there.
Another indicative tool is to understand principles of warfare. A warring party will always seek to reshape a first line of buildings in an urban area in some way. It could be demolition to destroy combat positions, or it could be to take them for its own combat needs. We also know that given the luxury of initiative, an attacking party will always attempt to direct a population/combatant flow of the enemy in a favorable way, considering that such flow is a given. So we can say that with reference to a city in general, some of its outskirts will necessarily be less populated at least at some point.
If we can't know whether an area is in fact populated or not, how can we assess whether the use of unguided munitions is in an unpopulated area? Your argument is circular. Your proof that the IDF is behaving as it should is to point at IDF behavior as proof of an area being unpopulated. One could very well argue the opposite. The Israeli ground forces treat the area as unpopulated because it suits them, and the airforce drops munitions on it, and both go along with the area being designated as "unpopulated" for legal reasons. Meanwhile a considerable civilian population remains on the ground.

You also argue many things that are obvious and don't require argument. Of course the less populated an area is the more justifiable the use of less discriminatory munitions becomes. You might as well say that 2+2=4 and act as though that supports the underlying argument. It doesn't. Remember what the argument is about. You claimed that the use of unguided munitions in populated area is likely a very small minority. Nothing you list defines the term unpopulated. Nothing you have stated directly supports that claim. Your explanation of basic principles is correct, but somewhat obvious. To prove your point requires data. Do you have that data or anything that indicates trends and patterns?

In the context of the whole Gaza strip, to determine whether an area is populated or not, I do not rely on OSINT, rather just IDF statements. There is no OSINT source that I'm aware of that tracks this metric, and I am not an analyst myself.
Emphasis mine. Thank you for the admission. There we have the root of our disagreement. Myself, and from what I can tell many others, are not satisfied relying on just IDF statements. If the IDF is culpable, it's quite likely they won't be eager to admit it.

If you are referring to precise numbers, don't expect ones. These are irrelevant and change between missions. What we need to understand are general statements:
1. More densely populated with civilians = more accuracy required, and vice versa.
2. IDF has a range of munitions with multiple tiers of accuracy, and they are used according to mission parameters.
You set out to define the term accuracy for the purpose of a discussion on the use of unguided munitions in populated and unpopulated areas. Do you want to reconsider that attempt?

The article from December cited 29,000 aerial munitions dropped on Gaza. Since then the number has certainly gone up, even if not necessarily significantly. Considering the statistics at play, the "system not working as intended" from time to time is a negligible factor.
As of February 13th, the IDF claims to have eliminated over 10,000 Hamas terrorists in Gaza (or close to 12,000 including those who infiltrated Israel + in J&S).
As of February 18th, Hamas claims 28,000 total Palestinian casualties in Gaza.
If we believe both claims, then there are supposedly 18,000 Palestinian civilian casualties. Now let's assume that:
1. Hamas certainly didn't kill its own civilians (despite the evidence).
2. All casualties are from air strikes alone while ground troops activity and artillery are entirely excluded.
3. The IDF did not conduct any airstrikes after the reported 29,000.

That is 0.62 killed civilians per aerial bomb ranging from 250lbs to over 5,000lbs. This is a tremendously low casualty rate for such a destructive weapon, especially in an urban area. This is not something you can achieve if the "system is not working as intended" by default. If that is the case, then it may indeed not work - extremely rarely.
Personally I have some serious questions about all of these numbers. Let's start with the IDF data. To kill 10 000 terrorists the IDF dropped 29 000 bombs? Almost 3 bombs per terrorist? How does that bode for the accuracy argument mentioned above? How many hundreds (thousands?) of kilos of explosives is this per dead terrorist? Are we sure we can trust the IDF designation of someone as a terrorist? The US has been caught conducting drone strikes and calling any "military age male" an enemy combatant in BDA unless proven otherwise.

Now let's talk about the Hamas figures. How did they get their 28k figure? Does anyone really consider their numbers credible? Do they have the kind of government infrastructure still functioning that can accurately record deaths? From where I sit there is no good reason to trust their claim. However this doesn't mean the number is lower. It could be much higher. The level of destruction in Gaza is massive, the conditions of hospitals are awful meaning many who would get medical help can't or don't, or get substandard care, and their pre-war population density was quite high. A 6 figure death toll wouldn't be surprising at this point. I suspect we won't know until the dust settles, but I disagree with your reasoning of "let's take the other sides' estimate as the high end figure".

They are very expensive after all. It's not just about stocks.
Sorry, but a JDAM is very expensive? Maybe I'm mistaken but I was under the impression that it's a fairly cheap conversion of a regular dumb bomb. I'm going off of memory here but the price for a JDAM kit was 5 figures?

Big_Zucchini

A normative document like an ROE doesn't prove actual facts on the ground. If taken at face value it's a statement of intent. And I'm not sold we can take it at face value. You may have implicit trust for the IDF. I do not, nor do many others. Continuing to argue on that premise won't persuade anyone.
I do not automatically trust the IDF. Through my many interactions with different aspects of it, I know in what areas it is or isn't trustworthy. I apply trust in this case based on experience gained through understanding of internal processes and organizational culture, hearing other people's perspective (everyone serves, everyone has a perspective and a story), analyzing high profile cases, and learning from veteran experts.
An American will struggle to understand this, but perhaps you can, as I understand you are Russian, so mandatory conscription can give you added perspective. But add to it the fact that Israelis serve 32-36 months and it's further amplified.

If my trust for the IDF does not persuade anyone, I invite others to test an IDF's statement on its current war in Gaza by checking it with other sources and see if things match up. In the Hague, it was the IDF that presented the evidence for Israel's case. The ICJ deemed it sufficiently trustworthy, which in turn means it deems the IDF's methods, regarding the case, to be trustworthy. This is something I'll circle back to later on.

If we can't know whether an area is in fact populated or not, how can we assess whether the use of unguided munitions is in an unpopulated area? Your argument is circular. Your proof that the IDF is behaving as it should is to point at IDF behavior as proof of an area being unpopulated. One could very well argue the opposite. The Israeli ground forces treat the area as unpopulated because it suits them, and the airforce drops munitions on it, and both go along with the area being designated as "unpopulated" for legal reasons. Meanwhile a considerable civilian population remains on the ground.
Legal officers are not subordinate to any branch or element of the IDF. They are a separate arm subordinated to the Supreme Court, therefore they cannot be pressured to bend to operational demands, at least not in a way that would go unnoticed in a career-ending kind of way. An operational level order can be issued despite legal advice, but that is also a risky move that would be isolated to the order-giver, and not shared with other operational elements that have their own decision-making processes.

Circling back to the ICJ. If there was some form of operational level order stating that an operation may be conducted as if an area is unpopulated when it is - or in other words an improper RoE - it would:
1. Be isolated.
2. Come under scrutiny and would be studied by the Supreme Court and the ICJ.

After all, it could amount to a form of a war crime, which the ICJ would surely find. Yet as of now, the ICJ ruled that no violations were found.

You claimed that the use of unguided munitions in populated area is likely a very small minority. Nothing you list defines the term unpopulated. Nothing you have stated directly supports that claim. Your explanation of basic principles is correct, but somewhat obvious. To prove your point requires data. Do you have that data or anything that indicates trends and patterns?
I have used statistics, which you commented on at a later point, as a form of tangible case. And I used principles which are easy to prove are practiced in reality via a chain process (if this happens then that happens).
Go back to the original claim and you'll see that I am not making this claim in vacuum, but rather to challenge another insinuation that the IDF uses unguided munitions en masse on populated areas - a claim which does not stand to scrutiny and which itself has to be proven. The burden of proof is not on me, even though I have shown my reasoning and evidence and willing to dive deeper.

Emphasis mine. Thank you for the admission. There we have the root of our disagreement. Myself, and from what I can tell many others, are not satisfied relying on just IDF statements. If the IDF is culpable, it's quite likely they won't be eager to admit it.
Facts don't care about feelings. If anyone would like to test these claims, I'm willing to aid them in a search for open source materials proving the case. Although I have trust in these statements, I do not actually follow the IDF's statements whatsoever. I follow reputable OSINT accounts. They piece the puzzle together. When people ask for the complete picture I give the IDF's statements because people would immediately attack the notion of giving mere pieces.

You set out to define the term accuracy for the purpose of a discussion on the use of unguided munitions in populated and unpopulated areas. Do you want to reconsider that attempt?
No. A proper methodology mixes general statements with hard data. It can mix general statements with very little data. But one cannot implement one without any general statements/rules whatsoever.
A typical oven reaches approximately 250 degrees Celsius. I must make a general statement that I refer only to home ovens and not industrial ones as well. In this case I believe a general statement is suffice because the population density of an area is not a function of a set of discrete values, but rather comprises of numerous different functions (can be quantified in any number of ways), with answers on a wide spectrum. The variation on applicable RoE is also tremendous, and involves countless other factors that characterize the combat environment.
So a bomb with an accuracy of 5m CEP might be considered very accurate. But if my aim is to destroy a tunnel, then that's unacceptable. I must have a CEP relative to ground level of just 50cm (arbitrary number). And if my target is the side of a building, then with a shallow release angle I can hit it perfectly fine even with a nominal CEP of 30 meters relative to ground level.

Personally I have some serious questions about all of these numbers. Let's start with the IDF data. To kill 10 000 terrorists the IDF dropped 29 000 bombs? Almost 3 bombs per terrorist? How does that bode for the accuracy argument mentioned above? How many hundreds (thousands?) of kilos of explosives is this per dead terrorist?
An airstrike need not target a person but can be against other targets, particularly infrastructure. Israel's policy of warning its enemies prior to a strike has the effect of targets often being deserted. This is what I referred to earlier when I said Israel's efforts to minimize casualties - come at a self inflicted risk. One particular set of targets that is usually unmanned is tunnels which require a significant tonnage to deal meaningful damage.
Below I linked to an Israeli report (from 2015). The full report may answer other questions you raised here. Protective Edge (2014) is a good reference due to its complexity and available literature.
Important excerpt:
indeed, the overwhelming majority of Israel’s over 6,000 airstrikes during the 2014 Gaza Conflict resulted in no civilian fatalities.
So a vast discrepancy between strike numbers and actual fatalities is a feature that was documented long ago and studied.

Casualty report:

Full report:

Are we sure we can trust the IDF designation of someone as a terrorist? The US has been caught conducting drone strikes and calling any "military age male" an enemy combatant in BDA unless proven otherwise.
The answer to this lies in the casualty report. 20% of total Palestinian casualties in 2014 were military age males and they were a separate category from confirmed terrorists.
Hamas and other Palestinian terrorist organizations actually put out messages regarding their casualties so unless they have a policy of actively hiding or downplaying militant casualties (which they have now, but not as much in 2014), which makes confirmation of identities somewhat easier.
Israeli RoE, even the most relaxed, at best apply suspicion to military age males, but not approval to fire.

Now let's talk about the Hamas figures. How did they get their 28k figure? Does anyone really consider their numbers credible? Do they have the kind of government infrastructure still functioning that can accurately record deaths? From where I sit there is no good reason to trust their claim. However this doesn't mean the number is lower. It could be much higher. The level of destruction in Gaza is massive, the conditions of hospitals are awful meaning many who would get medical help can't or don't, or get substandard care, and their pre-war population density was quite high. A 6 figure death toll wouldn't be surprising at this point. I suspect we won't know until the dust settles, but I disagree with your reasoning of "let's take the other sides' estimate as the high end figure".
I proposed some napkin math based on available numbers. I repeated the fact that these numbers are unreliable numerous times and that Hamas has a long record of inflating them. But they are not known to deflate them. If you have a proposal - go ahead. But it will amount to no more than a very rough estimate. Even if we were to somehow double the numbers, the point would still remain, so it would be useless.

Big_Zucchini

Sorry, but a JDAM is very expensive? Maybe I'm mistaken but I was under the impression that it's a fairly cheap conversion of a regular dumb bomb. I'm going off of memory here but the price for a JDAM kit was 5 figures?
This is a 2011 article talking about various munitions and their prices. Obviously not up to date but I think it's nice considering just how many things it brings together to create an image of relativity between the systems.

Here is an article from the early days of the current war in Gaza, talking about prices of typical weapons employed by the IDF.
The important part:
1. JDAM (bomb not included) - $22k - $36k depending on variant.
2. SDB (GBU-39) - $40k.
3. SPICE 2000 - $200k.

SPICE 2000 is a domestic product filled with more advanced technology that the IDF reserves for cases where higher precision is required, and against more challenging targets.

STURM

You didn't really read my comment, did you?
Won't bother answering again then.
Then by all means don't.

I know that your worldview is "left leaning" and I know what it's like because I was at one point also a lefty. But a political/worldview should be a filter through which to perceive facts a certain way, and not a filter that removes facts and creates comfortable ones instead. There are certain universal truths that should not be denied just because of one's political leaning.
This is the first occasion where someone has described me as such. I'm usually called a rightist. Anyway, if my worldview is "left leaning" because I disagree with certain things you say and support the Palestinian cause [in the 1980's I was actually pro Israeli]; so be it. No skin of my back.

STURM

You may have implicit trust for the IDF. I do not, nor do many others. Continuing to argue on that premise won't persuade anyone.
As Andreas Krieg says we have to scrutinise Israel's narrative the same way we'd scrutinise anyone else's. In the video he talk briefly about the famous tunnel. As it stands Israel has practised it's share of disinformation and has clearly said/claimed things which were untrue; not only during this war but on various occasions in the past. Yet we're expected to believe otherwise.

Big_Zucchini

As Andreas Krieg says we have to scrutinise Israel's narrative the same way we'd scrutinise anyone else's. In the video he talk briefly about the famous tunnel. As it stands Israel has practised it's share of disinformation and has clearly said/claimed things which were untrue; not only during this war but on various occasions in the past. Yet we're expected to believe otherwise.
The majority of the claims he made in that video have already been debunked, or themselves are baseless. Perhaps most egregious is the claim that Hamas building infrastructure under and in proximity to civilian infrastructure is inevitable. There are multiple things that Hamas could do to prevent it altogether:
1. Cease existing.
2. Build infrastructure under Gaza's agricultural areas.

Regarding claims about access to information: The IDF invites both local and foreign journalists which then report information as they deem fit. So any so called "IDF claim" diverges into multiple claims by other sources, which so far have confirmed IDF claims.
I have yet to hear of a case that was scrutinized and later revealed to have been disinformation by the IDF.

If anyone wants to continue with this line of thought that Israel somehow requires an extra level of scrutiny beyond that applied to other nations, I invite you to actually examine and find falsehoods in claims made by the IDF, and contrast it to the norm. Otherwise it's a lot of talk with 0 substance.

STURM

If anyone wants to continue with this line of thought that Israel somehow requires an extra level of scrutiny beyond that applied to other nations,
That's something I believe only you've said. Not anyone else unless I'm mistaken. I believe that we have to scrutinise anything said by anyone given that everyone engages in disinformation, propaganda, etc.

Otherwise it's a lot of talk with 0 substance.
I'd be surprised if you didn't come up with something like that.

Big_Zucchini

That's something I believe only you've said. Not anyone else unless I'm mistaken. I believe that we have to scrutinise anything said by anyone given that everyone engages in disinformation, propaganda, etc.
And yet how much scrutiny do we apply regarding other conflicts debated here? If it is the US-Houthi conflict, how common is it to doubt whether the strike targets in Yemen are actually military Houthi objectives or civilians? How common is it for people to say the majority of Houthi casualties are civilian? How likely is the US to be brought to a court on allegations of war crimes against the Houthis?
Shortly after Hamas's brutal massacre, global media had the audacity to accuse Israel of launching a missile strike that killed 500 Palestinian civilians, claiming it to be a verified fact, not saying "allegedly", but stating it factually. Minutes later it turned out to be a PIJ rocket that killed approximately 30. Allegedly reputable media outlets only edited the articles slightly, some kept the original.

The fact is that Israel is under disproportionate scrutiny and disproportionate doubt, while Hamas's claims are often taken as facts. There is no equivalent to that elsewhere.

Mr Krieg says we must be cautious about nefarious Israeli propaganda, yet he himself engages in disinformation.

I'd be surprised if you didn't come up with something like that.
I strongly believe in good methodology. So yes, thank you.

STURM

And yet how much scrutiny do we apply regarding other conflicts debated here?
Since you haven't noticed; quite a bit of scrutiny has been applied to other conflicts in this forum over the years

So yes, thank you.
You're most welcome chum.

Your methodology. What I see is a highly skewered narrative which give the impression that Israel can do no wrong; is above scrutiny and that only Israel can be trusted to give the real facts. Anything which doesn't meet your approval is ''extremist'' or ''terrorist'' propaganda. You accused another member of peddling ''lies''. Any speaker which says anything remotely critical of Israel is a ''nutjob''. That's been your modus operandi from the time you came on board. One gets the impression that the only Israeli related news which should be here is that which meets your approval.

Mr Krieg says we must be cautious about nefarious Israeli propaganda, yet he himself engages in disinformation.
Of course. If he had nothing but praise for Israel he'd meet your approval wouldn't he?

It's a good time to remind that there is no shortage of aid coming into Gaza. However, a shortage is manufactured by Hamas for the sake of propaganda
Indeed. It's all the fault of Hamas. Israel has never weaponised food deliveries and is always concerned about the well being of ordinary civilians whom BTW Israel of course always differentiates between actual ''terrorists''. Those suffering from malnutrition should tighten their belts and stop complaining. The 6 month old baby who died should only blame HAMAS and nobody else. How dare these dastardly Palestinians and their supporters complain! Oh and before I forget; the UN and other agencies who are actually on the ground and speak of food shortages are all lying because they're all ''terrorists'' supporters correct?

You speak of ''Hamas propaganda'' what about the propaganda you've been peddling?

This video is interesting. It's about COGAT. Naturally you'll say that anything which puts Israel in a bad light is disinformation and has been debunked but then this is to b expected and I didn't post the link for you anyway.

Big_Zucchini

Your methodology. What I see is a highly skewered narrative which give the impression that Israel can do no wrong; is above scrutiny and that only Israel can be trusted to give the real facts. Anything which doesn't meet your approval is ''extremist'' or ''terrorist'' propaganda.
I am not responsible for your ability to get an impression of things.

You accused another member of peddling ''lies''. Any speaker which says anything remotely critical of Israel is a ''nutjob''. That's been your modus operandi from the time you came on board.
Anyone can develop any worldview they like. But a worldview is just a way to interpret facts. Those who deny hard facts will be called out as liars. Those who interpret facts in a different way than I do - I will debate with them with the hope to convince.

One gets the impression that the only Israeli related news which should be here is that which meets your approval.
Again, your flawed view of things is not my responsibility.
You clearly have no idea what is my set of beliefs, yet you speak as if you do.

Indeed. It's all the fault of Hamas. Israel has never weaponised food deliveries and is always concerned about the well being of ordinary civilians whom BTW Israel of course always differentiates between actual ''terrorists''.
Yes, that is true. However I do not understand the need to reiterate my words. Is there some argument you wish to make?

Those suffering from malnutrition should tighten their belts and stop complaining. The 6 month old baby who died should only blame HAMAS and nobody else. How dare these dastardly Palestinians and their supporters complain!
I disagree. While you are correct that it is exclusively the fault of Hamas, the Palestinian civilians should complain and work to overthrow Hamas in order to create a future for themselves and their children.

You speak of ''Hamas propaganda'' what about the propaganda you've been peddling?
That is literally impossible. I have not been peddling anything, let alone propaganda. This is another example of an outright lie.

This video is interesting. It's about COGAT. Naturally you'll say that anything which puts Israel in a bad light is disinformation and has been debunked but then this is to b expected and I didn't post the link for you anyway.
I am not going to watch a full 27 minute video. I value my time as a working man. If you have any point to make about it, do it with your own words.
Mr Andreas is also not a credible source. He claims to be an expert on MENA, yet he is not aware of the geography of Gaza, implying it to be an ultra dense urban jungle when it very clearly isn't.

EDIT:
I believe I understand the reason for our difference of opinion, and it has to do again with methodology but perhaps a different aspect of it.
Judging by your comments in the red sea thread, you seem to believe in the ideology of "bothsideism". This ideology asserts that in any case involving two opposing sides, both sides are inherently bad/wrong and there must be some moral equivalence between them.
My issue with this ideology is that it inherently displays one of two things:
1. Lack of understanding of the subject.
2. Lack of a moral compass that would enable identifying one side as the relatively more moral.

I do not know what your moral compass is. On topics which I do not understand - I do not comment, or at least formulate my comments as questions. On topics that I do understand and where there are 2 or more sides, I always take a particular side. For example Ukraine in the Russia-Ukraine war.
What do you think?

Last edited: