Go Bag - contents and rationale

the road runner

Pardon my ignorance but Id love to hear a bit about this one, I don't believe I have ever seen a firebunker but they sound like they could be a pretty handy little prep if you lived in bushland with limited roads etc.
Pretty much similar to a basement car park.
Block work that has steel and concrete in fill, or formed concrete walls.
Concrete slab and concrete roof with earth covered over the top.
A fire proofed/rated , door/hatch.
Filtered air conditioning

Wildfire Safety - Fire Bunkers

the road runner

you lose the house, but you get to live and rebuild with some valuables intact
The problem with houses built in fire prone areas is materials used are usually timber.
Timber clad walls ,timber doors, timber windows timber decks/floors, and timber roofs with eaves.

The worst thing is houses with eaves ,act as a funnel to catch embers and start roof fires. Most house's catch alight in bushfire prone areas in the roof.

You can cut your risk down quiet a bit if you select certain types of building materials such as brickwork,steel door jambs ,alloy windows,and concrete roofs.

The main problem is people have a budget and building in the above spec would add 30% in cost to the build.

If i lived in the bush i wouldnt build a bunker ,if i had a double brick house ,id rip the roof off and pour a concrete one ,ensure all floor finishes/deck are concrete ect Don't give the fire fuel !

My2Cents

The problem with houses built in fire prone areas is materials used are usually timber.
Timber clad walls ,timber doors, timber windows timber decks/floors, and timber roofs with eaves.

The worst thing is houses with eaves ,act as a funnel to catch embers and start roof fires. Most house's catch alight in bushfire prone areas in the roof.

You can cut your risk down quiet a bit if you select certain types of building materials such as brickwork,steel door jambs ,alloy windows,and concrete roofs.

The main problem is people have a budget and building in the above spec would add 30% in cost to the build.

If i lived in the bush i wouldnt build a bunker ,if i had a double brick house ,id rip the roof off and pour a concrete one ,ensure all floor finishes/deck are concrete ect Don't give the fire fuel !
You also need triple pane windows to keep enough heat from radiating through them to ignite the interior.

Then add either a cleared area around the house of 10’ + the height of any tree that can reach it. Or a lawn/garden of the same dimensions with a sprinkler system and enough water supply to operate all sections simultaneously. Either will keep the ground fire away from the walls, which is key to any design.

Stucco works almost as well as concrete unless you have a really high fuel load. Tile roofs are also good.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well my fire bunker will be formed waterproof concrete. I do hope to build a very fire resistant house but what road runner described would be unacceptable to my wife. With a dedicated bunker I can make it absolutely fire proof, with 200 mm thick concrete walls, a scoria covering, covered by at least 200 mm soil, double fire door access etc. Plus it's a psychological thing, even if the house is fireproof people feel safer in a bunker, particularly suburbanites.

The updated Victorian code provides a good guide of building a house to reduce the risk. However in the Victorian fires even well prepared homes were lost, and several situations people survived in bunkers where as others perished.

It's something I don't really understand, people in high risk areas build in higher risk materials. Almost all homes in the bush are completely timber. Homes in tornado areas seem to be 2 or 3 story weatherboard. Yet in the suburbs people live in double brick fortresses with tiny windows.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It's something I don't really understand, people in high risk areas build in higher risk materials. Almost all homes in the bush are completely timber. Homes in tornado areas seem to be 2 or 3 story weatherboard. Yet in the suburbs people live in double brick fortresses with tiny windows.
Its something I've struggled to understand as well. I accept the fact that living in high risk areas is a personal choice, but equally I see a responsibility for those who choose to do so to do everything in their power to mitigate against those regional disasters. After all its other people who put their lives in harms way to go and rescue them and often their property (albeit to stop those houses becoming additional fuel load)

Darwin went through a revised building code after Cyclone Tracey, imo if you don't have a fire shelter in those high risk fire areas then you shouldn't be permitted to build

and why councils let people build in flood plains is beyond me - esp when the odds are pretty good that insurance won't cover you if you've built in that flood plain location

the road runner

Well my fire bunker will be formed waterproof concrete. I do hope to build a very fire resistant house but what road runner described would be unacceptable to my wife.
Polished Concrete is in these days.Most women drool over it.
Gives a very modern look.
You can get glass,coloured stone ect put into the concrete.
Turns out smick mate.You would swear it was tiles !

Boralstone Polished Concrete

Agreed ,i shake my head ,especially when some poor soul has a garden hose and is trying to defend his kingdom that is a fibro house.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now for something completely different... An outfitter store in my area (ish) has finally gotten a stock of Vestergaard Lifestraws in, so I picked one up.

I like the look of it, so I will be adding it (and a couple of spares) to my supplies. Especially since there is a prediction of another hurricane striking my area in September.

Also the son of one of my co-workers is going on a trip to parts of India, specifically the Himalayas for about six weeks this summer. Given the potentially 'questionable' water supply, she will be getting him one or two, plus chlorine dioxide tablets.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Now for something completely different... An outfitter store in my area (ish) has finally gotten a stock of Vestergaard Lifestraws in, so I picked one up.

I like the look of it, so I will be adding it (and a couple of spares) to my supplies. Especially since there is a prediction of another hurricane striking my area in September.

Also the son of one of my co-workers is going on a trip to parts of India, specifically the Himalayas for about six weeks this summer. Given the potentially 'questionable' water supply, she will be getting him one or two, plus chlorine dioxide tablets.
those lifestraws have been adopted by a few SF shops....

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
those lifestraws have been adopted by a few SF shops....
Indeed, part of the reason why I had been on the lookout for a place that carried them. That and the small size and effectiveness, since I need to have stocks of kit ready to go in case of an activation. So far, everything has been fairly local so I can use my cache at home, but there is growing potential to be loaned out on interstate mutual aid.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
update

Recent climatic events have me rethinking from bush fire to flood (My firebunker is nearly finished). FYI My firebunker is made out of core filled, reinforced benex blocks.(FAQ - Resources - Benex) These are far superior to normal blocks, particularly in fire, and water proofing. The bunker is ~2.8 x 2.8 x 2.4. I have sealed the outside of it with a waterproof coating. The walls other than the entry will be buried. Benex was faster, easier, safer to build and is superior to just mass formed concrete.

On top of this I was going just bury it all but a nice big flat slab is too tempting to build on so I will most likely construct a Hebel block office above it with a concrete roof, which will then have a colourbond roof over that built on top of steel support (ie totally fireproof). The original plan was to cover the whole thing in scoria then dirt but it is expensive and I worry about kids falling from the roof on to the ground below. I would rather make it impossible for this to happen. Roof is bondek with a 250mm slab over it. Superior to a carpark floor, but only has to span 2.4m (interior). While we still intend to avoid a fire, we have total confidence in the structure and is a great peice of mind for family that worry about us, more so that we have (soon) 2 young kids.

Flood prep.
I am also looking at planning now to feed a family of four instead of just 2 adults.
I really want to have a system to keep things up to date, but have enough inventory to last 4 weeks. Canned food, milk powder, vacuumed sealed packaging, preserved dried fruit etc. While I am pretty self sufficient for power and water, food is just a regular kitchen cupboard. While I may have more than 4 weeks worth of food there, its more likely to be stuff we don't want to eat. Also thinking of stocking more LPG and petrol during rainy periods.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Flood prep.
I am also looking at planning now to feed a family of four instead of just 2 adults.
I really want to have a system to keep things up to date, but have enough inventory to last 4 weeks. Canned food, milk powder, vacuumed sealed packaging, preserved dried fruit etc. While I am pretty self sufficient for power and water, food is just a regular kitchen cupboard. While I may have more than 4 weeks worth of food there, its more likely to be stuff we don't want to eat. Also thinking of stocking more LPG and petrol during rainy periods.
Two thoughts.

First, much of this seems more about Sheltering in-Place, would it be worth creating a new thread to discuss it? I happen to have a fair amount of experience in planning for and executing Sheltering.

Second, there are a number of fairly good 'systems' people can adopt, to help ease the difficulty in maintaining a decently sized food inventory, yet also allowing for food stock rotation on non/semi-perishables. If you have sufficient space, have a sturdy shelf (probably metal) without a back setup where you wish to store food, with one side facing the entry, but space behind it to access and load from the back. This type of arrangement will allow for replenishment of stocks, while ensuring that those items selected will be the oldest for their respective types.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Yes, I know I am attempting to re-animate a necro thread, having said that, I feel it is time for people to think about this again...

Following the natural disasters over the last two months which have impacted portions of the southern US, Mexico, and Caribbean islands, I thought it appropriate to raise the issue of people having Go Bags or Go Kits assembled and ready to go in case they need to evacuate.

I was reminded of this recently when helping a displaced family that had nothing, following the destruction of their home by a tornado. If they had assembled a Go Kit of some kind, then they might have had more with them than the clothes on their backs. It might not have been much or than a spare change of clothes, but in a disaster even something like that can help and be a comfort during and after an event.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yes, I know I am attempting to re-animate a necro thread, having said that, I feel it is time for people to think about this again...

Following the natural disasters over the last two months which have impacted portions of the southern US, Mexico, and Caribbean islands, I thought it appropriate to raise the issue of people having Go Bags or Go Kits assembled and ready to go in case they need to evacuate.

I was reminded of this recently when helping a displaced family that had nothing, following the destruction of their home by a tornado. If they had assembled a Go Kit of some kind, then they might have had more with them than the clothes on their backs. It might not have been much or than a spare change of clothes, but in a disaster even something like that can help and be a comfort during and after an event.
I agree, I have a Go Bag at home with spare clothing, portable shelter, bedding and cooking / water heating gear, emergency long life food and water for 72 hours, basic meds / first aid kit and a few other odds and sods and a more complete Go Box in my vehicle for longer term needs.

Some people think I’m a bit odd, but it matters not to me. I’d rather have it and never need it than the alternative.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I agree, I have a Go Bag at home with spare clothing, portable shelter, bedding and cooking / water heating gear, emergency long life food and water for 72 hours, basic meds / first aid kit and a few other odds and sods and a more complete Go Box in my vehicle for longer term needs.

Some people think I’m a bit odd, but it matters not to me. I’d rather have it and never need it than the alternative.
People that know me, know I am a bit... odd.

Having said that, I absolutely agree that it is far better to have something and not need it, than need something and not have it.

As things stand now, I am assembling a Ready Pack in addition to my existing go bag. Once I have that finished and test the rig out, I will post the contents and organization. There is a caveat with a Ready Pack though, as they are intended to permit SAR personnel to operate in the field for a 24 hour period and will usually be lighter than a normal camping pack or Go Bag.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I live in Darwin, we expect cyclones every wet season. I have a go bag....actually, I have a few bits and pieces, maybe I'm nuts.
I have a trades trailer that is set up as a semi securable camper, complete with 100amp AGM battery, 160w solar panel, Engel fridge, stretchers, chairs, a tarp that attaches to the door, water storage and other bits of stuff including a sinewave Genny, fuel Jerry's,food etc, its kinda an all purpose bit of bug out gear, and its 3/4 packed ready. Go bag has personal stuff. I have plenty of fishing gear, a coach gun with a good mixture of 12G shells from bird shot to 00 SG,s. Hand held GPS.....etc etc.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I live in Darwin, we expect cyclones every wet season. I have a go bag....actually, I have a few bits and pieces, maybe I'm nuts.
I have a trades trailer that is set up as a semi securable camper, complete with 100amp AGM battery, 160w solar panel, Engel fridge, stretchers, chairs, a tarp that attaches to the door, water storage and other bits of stuff including a sinewave Genny, fuel Jerry's,food etc, its kinda an all purpose bit of bug out gear, and its 3/4 packed ready. Go bag has personal stuff. I have plenty of fishing gear, a coach gun with a good mixture of 12G shells from bird shot to 00 SG,s. Hand held GPS.....etc etc.
I’ve got a 12G shottie and a pistoli too, which I would take with me and the law be damned if worse came to worse and I had to bug out...

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Recently having another look at this, particularly now we have kids.

Either going from our suburban house to our off grid farm house (unlikely)
Going from our farm house to suburban house (likely situations of fire, flood etc)

I want some sort of face mask for the kids in case of bushfire. Kids seem pretty sensitive to smoke. Hard to find anything for a 2 year old, but plenty of stuff for 4 and up.

Also I only have Li USB battery packs and got rid of my solar phone charger. These days they are cheaper and better. Space is better used, and a much larger solar panel (20-80w) in the car is going to be much more useful.

I always figured my go to gun would be a .22 as its much easier to carry it and the rounds. Its pretty much all I take when I go vermin patrolling now. Looking at getting a lever action .22.

Also thinking about what to do in a flood. While its unlikely our house will ever flood, its likely the roads around it will, leaving us cut off for an extended period.
With in a few days it would just be cream corn and kidney beans left. Thinking of putting together a box in the kitchen cupboard, with some long life products in there.

the road runner

I always figured my go to gun would be a .22 as its much easier to carry it and the rounds. Its pretty much all I take when I go vermin patrolling now. Looking at getting a lever action .22.
Love leaver actions.. mine is a marlin 336 SS in 30-30 with an Aim point comp on top.. Easy to point and quick to put on target, light,short and reliable ! Great car/bike or bush gun.. also pretty cheap to feed ..but not as cheap as a .22.

The Greens and the Government ... are trying to Ban Adler leaver action shotguns as they think 1880s technology is very very dangerous ! Hope they don't start going after leaver action rifles ! Australian gun laws are a bit of a joke...

I can go purchase a 50 cal rifle under my A/B license but a leaver action Adler(that cycles like SHI#) should be banned.. Go figure !

With in a few days it would just be cream corn and kidney beans left. Thinking of putting together a box in the kitchen cupboard, with some long life products in there.
Always good to have cans on kidney,borlotti,cannellini, lintels and the like ...just add chilli,garlic,tomatoes/cucumbers and olive oil ect...put some Tuna on top and you have a pretty tasty and cheap meal... The 3rd world lives off beans

I have been putting my go bag together for a while now(basically my hunting pack) ... i chop and change stuff all the time .. hardest thing to put together is a decent pair of boots ...i have also been looking for Blood Clot everywhere and can not find it anywhere to add to my first aid kit !

A good 2 way is important ,i just got a 5 Watter.. and want to eventually get a scanner ..

I think if you go for good communication ,good first aid kit...Good boots(that i have yet to find ) Jacket..beenie ..food...you are pretty much there!

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I want some sort of face mask for the kids in case of bushfire. Kids seem pretty sensitive to smoke. Hard to find anything for a 2 year old, but plenty of stuff for 4 and up.
I would be very careful, and wary, of fitting any sort of face mask to child, never mind an infant or toddler. There is the potential danger of having the mask smother the child, especially if the mask is intended to filter out very fine particulate from the air. Basically what can happen is that the suction a child can generate when inhaling can be too weak to draw enough air through the filters in the mask.

You might want to check with your local fire service, or one that would be responsible for fighting bush fires, to get their input. Here in the US, the principle danger from smoke inhalation during a fire is hydrogen cyanide poisoning released when various polymers and plastics found in everything from wiring, packing materials, and even clothing and furniture burn in house and office fires.

I am aware of 'escape hoods' which are designed to provide short-term (15 minutes or so) protection vs. inhaled agents as well as smoke. I have not bothered with one, because in order to have it when I need it, I would need to keep it on my person constantly and I would rather just drop down low and leave rather than fuss trying to put a hood on, then leaving. No idea if these are available in Oz, but I can see if I can get more info if you like.

protoplasm

I would be very careful, and wary, of fitting any sort of face mask to child, never mind an infant or toddler. There is the potential danger of having the mask smother the child, especially if the mask is intended to filter out very fine particulate from the air. Basically what can happen is that the suction a child can generate when inhaling can be too weak to draw enough air through the filters in the mask.
This is the reason why you'll struggle to find anything for children under 4. It's why little kids are contained inside a tent or capsule, rather than using a mask, usually with some form of positive pressure generating device to force air through the filter to the kid.