Go Bag - contents and rationale

the road runner

Coming from the city ,and going bush is a big eye opener for anyone who lives in Australia.One thing that has always stuck in my mind when going bush is the amount of boats you see in the middle of the country.You think.. why do people have boat where the nearest river/ocean is hundreds of KM away. Then you realise they are an investment/life line for people who are in flood zones.

If you have ever seen how 50mm of rain can cut country towns off for weeks/months and stop a 4wd in its tracks ,preventing supplies coming into town.These bags(and a boat) are a smart investment for your family and community.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Coming from the city ,and going bush is a big eye opener for anyone who lives in Australia.One thing that has always stuck in my mind when going bush is the amount of boats you see in the middle of the country.You think.. why do people have boat where the nearest river/ocean is hundreds of KM away. Then you realise they are an investment/life line for people who are in flood zones.

If you have ever seen how 50mm of rain can cut country towns off for weeks/months and stop a 4wd in its tracks ,preventing supplies coming into town.These bags(and a boat) are a smart investment for your family and community.
most people from the city can barely comprehend how violent and sudden these floods can be
eg we have a cattle station in the NT which is bordered by a river on one side

we have a small boat stuck 25ft up a tree where it flooded one year and caught the boat as it surged

that river surged 30ft in height in less than 36hrs. roads were completely washed away. in fact the only way in and out in the end was by using one of the mustering helos

I've been caught in a small surge where literally had my vehicle knocked sideways off a road where the river was a 4ft wall heading downstream - the only clue was the noise 30 seconds before it hit

fires have been mapped surging over a crest at 90kph. In fact we had an event where a woman trying to escape the fire was over taken by the fire head at 100kph....
gone in 30 seconds, that car just exploded as it passed over

Last edited:

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd have a go bag if I lived in an area with serious risks from sudden and severe weather, but in the UK it's fairly consistent. In terms of the most severe, it'd probably be a huge snowfall, where I live is on a large hill so rainfall isn't an issue.

Even snowfall wouldn't be too much of a PITA because our village acts like a junction between 3 large population areas so the roads are typically well gritted. The biggest issue would probably be power being knocked out or heating oil running out & not being able to get any in for several days at worst. But even then we've got a woodburner & several years worth of logs.

That's why when I think of things like go bags, I pretty much think of "I'm being dumped in the middle of the Scottish mountains at the middle of the night, what am I going to need?".

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
5.11 RUSH72 main bag

Ok, as promised here are the contents of my main bag, a 5.11 Tactical RUSH72.

5-in-1 whistle/compass/flint/mirror/waterproof case w/Strike Anywhere matches
2 containers survival matches
2 rolls duct tape
emergency rain poncho
bear bell
40 Dayglo reflective trail tags
2 Orion SAR campfire starter/signal flare
AMK SOL Origin case
3 N95 dust masks
AMK Trauma Pak with QuikClot
Maxpedition Tactical Gear Retractor with combo whistle/compass attached
plastic pocket Outdoor survival guide
plastic pocket emergency first aid guide
100 ft yellow paracord with reflective tracer
emergency windowpunch/seatbelt cutter
Codura case with Rite-in-the-Rain Fieldbook and Fisher Space pen
Roll of toilet paper
Titanium spork
compressed pack towel
spare glasses and case
Li-Ion CR123 battery case
orange paracord survival fob
Camelbak 100 oz (3L) bladder with insulated hose and bite guard
20 Potable Aqua chlorine dioxide water purification tablets
Gerber fixed-blade survival knife with flint and whistle
a dozen 12 hour glow sticks
Comet signal flare
MSR Trail Lite Duo cookset
AMK Bivy sack
Tube tent
100 ft OD paracord
20L collapsable kitchen sink
Garrity crank flashlight
2.5 gal. waterbag
repair kit with trail tape, duct tape, sewing kit and multi-tools
folding shovel
toiletries kit with soap, toothpaste & brush, bio-wipes, toilet paper
Rite-in-the-rain pad and pencils
Pocket SAS survival guide
Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness and Travel Medicine 3rd ed.
2 doodie bags
fire kit (tea candles, 9hr candle, storm matches, windproof lighter, flint & magnesium striker, waterproof tinder
Esbit folding stove and 4 fuel tabs
Eton Microlink FR160 NOAA weater radio with USB charging cord
2 Mayday 2400 cal. Food bricks
Grabber All Weather Blanket
14" cable ties
36" cable ties
Complete spare set of season appropriate clothing (shirt, pants, sockets, long-sleeved shirt, underwear)
a 5.11 6.6 Med Pouch containg...
a small first aid kit with basic supplies, mini-EMT shears, 5" x 5" Quikclot gauze

-Cheers

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
when I lived on the cattle station as a kid we had it drummed into us about having spare water, - you're driving around the station in a 4wd from the time of 8yo

funny that I always carry 40L of spare water even though I'm in the city. It's always there just in case :)

old habits

King Wally

Sometimes too you just never see it coming. Where I live its litterally on top of a mountain range without a river in sight and yet 2 years ago we got smashed with what can only be described as some kind of inland tsunami that went on to ravenge everything below us for 100's of miles.

Massive Inland Tsunami - Queensland Australia - YouTube
2011 Local Flood Video.

Honestly it was only after this that I really got the memo. These days I stay a lot better preparred.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Sometimes too you just never see it coming. Where I live its litterally on top of a mountain range without a river in sight and yet 2 years ago we got smashed with what can only be described as some kind of inland tsunami that went on to ravenge everything below us for 100's of miles.

Massive Inland Tsunami - Queensland Australia - YouTube
2011 Local Flood Video.

Honestly it was only after this that I really got the memo. These days I stay a lot better preparred.

mate I carry a full set of spare tools in the "truck".

I can't count how many times Ive ended up helping someone (including semi's) stuck on the side of the road.

as soon as I travel out of canberra I bolt the long handled shovel, the mud tracks and the axe onto the roof

if I'm going offroad I automatically carry the petty chainsaw, rechargeable grinder and rechargeable impact driver.. the makita rechargeable right angled leccy drill lives in the truck

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is wrong with this picture? It is almost like a doomsday scenario. What is missing in the movie is Mel Gibson, LOL.

Save some cash and go to a plush hotel somewhere if a disaster happens in your area of the woods. Go buy your groceries at any Walmart Superstore. Another option is dig a big hole in your backyard and build a concret bunker, i.e., like what happened in the cold war?

How much does a go bag weigh with all the goodies that are needed inside as listed by Todjaeger? In a thermonuclear war scenario, you will not need a go bag, IMHO.
Tod works in emergency response. If you want to take the piss out of someone who clearly knows more than you about the topic at hand and actually puts themselves to the task of helping people like yourself in the event of a disaster, do it somewhere I can't see it.

db2646

Banned Member
Go Bag

Tod works in emergency response. If you want to take the piss out of someone who clearly knows more than you about the topic at hand and actually puts themselves to the task of helping people like yourself in the event of a disaster, do it somewhere I can't see it.
Why is the language so combative? Is no one allowed to express their thoughts and/or opinions?

Excuse me if I don't agree with all the things that were stated. In my neck of the woods, we are exposed daily to these kind of situations but we don't take to the extreme of preparing a so-called "Go Bag". Mind you, we are prepared for disasters.

I understand Tod works in emergency response probably as an EMT, Paramedic or Firefighter. I am actually married to a lady that is Director of EMS. I am more of an worry wart than her relative to disaster preparedness. We have the necessary sustainment in our home's basement in case of any disaster, but no "Go Bags".

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Why is the language so combative? Is no one allowed to express their thoughts and/or opinions?

Excuse me if I don't agree with all the things that were stated. In my neck of the woods, we are exposed daily to these kind of situations but we don't take to the extreme of preparing a so-called "Go Bag". Mind you, we are prepared for disasters.

I understand Tod works in emergency response probably as an EMT, Paramedic or Firefighter. I am actually married to a lady that is Director of EMS. I am more of an worry wart than her relative to disaster preparedness. We have the necessary sustainment in our home's basement in case of any disaster, but no "Go Bags".
Having an opinion and expressing it is one thing, mockery is something else entirely.

No mention was made of a 'doomsday' scenario, a WMD incident or anything similar except by you.

Further, making a recommendation which is patently inadvisable. These types of behaviors are often associated with people trying to stir up trouble, as opposed to make a meaningful contribution or have a vigorous discussion or debate.

As for having things stockpiled in one's basement... That works (and is called sheltering in place) as long as one does not have to evacuate the home. During Sandy, we had a mandatory evacuation of ~5,000 residents who lived in a flood plain. Not all of the residences have had occupants return, and some are still unsafe to live in. Also, we had people brought in immediately after the eye of the storm passed because their homes had become unsafe to stay in after trees came down onto and in their homes.

For people that end up needing to their leave home in a hurry for whatever reason, having a Go Bag ready and waiting can make things faster and safer.

-Cheers

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member

You were being a smartass. Therefore the language is what it is. I'll gladly excuse you for not agreeing with posts on topic, but not for mocking people, which is exactly what you were doing. Don't do that and it'll be fine.

Or you could keep mouthing off and see what happens, your choice

EDIT: I do find it funny though that you choose to respond to me but not to Tod's first response to you, giving you a whole host of real world reasons why your post might have been over the top or not properly thought through. I guess it is harder to respond to facts.

Last edited:

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
go bags,grab bags, cyclone emergency kit, call it whatever you want.
State governments fund and broadcast media alerts during the risk times . these broadcasts advise residents in risk areas to make a go bag/kit and what it should include insofar as minimum contents.

Its good management, not fruitcake survivalist crap.

Same goes when doing boating courses,coxswain and above, grab bags are part of the course, its standard operating procedure, nothing new here.

For those that are interested, checkout the life straw water filters, these things are amazing, and cheap.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
they do a roaring trade with specwarries.....
not surprised, they are the best piece of survival kit I have come across for a long time. mine goes in my boat every time I go to an isolated location. Im in Jakarta right now, would be handy here, might even allow me to brush my teeth with tap water!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
not surprised, they are the best piece of survival kit I have come across for a long time. mine goes in my boat every time I go to an isolated location. Im in Jakarta right now, would be handy here, might even allow me to brush my teeth with tap water!
we've user them in India and Pakistan where water quality can be literally lethal due to arsenic issues

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
we've user them in India and Pakistan where water quality can be literally lethal due to arsenic issues
Interesting. I have found a place in the US where I can get them, but a notation on them indicates they are not (currently at least) rated to remove heavy metal or viruses, nor will they desalinate water. I would also assume that they are not capable of filtering out volatile chemicals (hydrocarbons and pesticides predominantly). Either way, when I get a chance I will be adding one to both my Go Bag and my deployment gear (though they are usually right next to each other).

If someone not in the US that has one would be kind enough to check what a Lifestraw is rated for where they are, I would appreciate it.

It might be that the testing for US markets has not been through the full process for things like heavy metals, and therefore a Lifestraw might be able to handle such contaminants but has not proven it to government testing labs yet.

-Cheers

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Interesting. I have found a place in the US where I can get them, but a notation on them indicates they are not (currently at least) rated to remove heavy metal or viruses, nor will they desalinate water. I would also assume that they are not capable of filtering out volatile chemicals (hydrocarbons and pesticides predominantly). Either way, when I get a chance I will be adding one to both my Go Bag and my deployment gear (though they are usually right next to each other).

If someone not in the US that has one would be kind enough to check what a Lifestraw is rated for where they are, I would appreciate it.

It might be that the testing for US markets has not been through the full process for things like heavy metals, and therefore a Lifestraw might be able to handle such contaminants but has not proven it to government testing labs yet.

-Cheers
pretty sure that some of the UN NGO's also user them. There is another brand that is rated for particles but can't remember its name

the really bad sites in asia minor have more permanent and fixed filters

Last edited:

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
It looks like I will be adding a few of these CAT's to the medical portion of my Go Bag after the events in Boston today.

Might also add a Chest Seal to the kit as well.

Now to go back through my Jump Bag...

Dodger67

Here are the current contents of my RUSH MOAB10 (1,062 cu. in./17.4L) Go Bag

....Trimming lots of good stuff

a Yaesu VX-8GR 2-m/70-cm radio
trimming even more really good stuff....

-Cheers
How many AH of batteries do you have for it?

The ham emcomm group I belong to advises members to pack go-bags with enough of everything to operate completely independently for at least three days.

For major incidents I have an FT857D HF/VHF/UHF rig with a 26AH SLA (which I'm looking to supplement with a solar panel in the 15-20W range)

For shorter/smaller deployments I'm looking into getting a dual-band HT (and for APRS and PSK using my Samsung Galaxy 3 phone as the "computer". (There are very good Android apps available for a variety of digital modes.) I use a netbook in situations where there isn't a shortage of electricity.

db2646

Banned Member
How many AH of batteries do you have for it?

The ham emcomm group I belong to advises members to pack go-bags with enough of everything to operate completely independently for at least three days.

For major incidents I have an FT857D HF/VHF/UHF rig with a 26AH SLA (which I'm looking to supplement with a solar panel in the 15-20W range)

For shorter/smaller deployments I'm looking into getting a dual-band HT (and for APRS and PSK using my Samsung Galaxy 3 phone as the "computer". (There are very good Android apps available for a variety of digital modes.) I use a netbook in situations where there isn't a shortage of electricity.
My intention is not to offend or piss-off anyone here but just expressing my thoughts and opinions, i.e., this "Go Bag" is more or less an "Survivalist" list of items that are desired or needed in case of a disaster that may last for a long period of time. The number of items listed are not just limited to food, clothing, blankets and water, but other electrical, electronic materials and equipment, etc.

City dwellers like me for example, will not have a place to go except to stay put or go to a shelter of some kind within the vicinity. We don't have a mountain somewhere to go and erect tents, generators, electrical and/or electronic equipment, etc. In addition, even if my family is able to go somewhere or someplace, my neighbors, other people will probably have the same idea, therefore, the highways and freeways will be packed with cars for days...the disaster will hit the area before we could possibly get out?

Again, in my opinion, the best thing is to be prepared in place, inside your home.