German Navy

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I thought the 127mm was procured for the Absalons to take advantage of extended range ammunition?
The 127mm on the Absalon is a BAE 5"/62 Mk45 Mod 4. ERGM was cancelled in 2008, BTERM was effectively dropped in 2006. Base-bleed ammo in the 5"/62 supposedly has a range of 20nm according to BAE, regular ammunition goes for about 13-14nm.

Unguided Vulcano BER with 38nm range has entered serial production this year for usage on FREMM (127/64), LCF (127/54) and F125 (127/64).

It´s not that simple.
Actually, the difference is mostly in the Absalon being built to "militarized commercial standards" by a civilian shipyard. Germany has had some experience with COTS components in military ships in the last couple years (e.g. civilian diesels on the Berlin EGVs), and that experience has been a bad experience.

i'm not sure why do you think that either trs-4d will have a higher resolution nor why trs-4d will have a lot better multi target tracking.
Resolution-vs-range is a direct result of the radar band used (E/F- plus X- vs G-Band). In addition, TRS-4D has a declassified update frequency of "under one second", whereas Sea Master 400 (air search) is switchable between update frequencies of two seconds and one second and Sea Watcher 100 (surface search) updates at 1.0 seconds short-range, 1.6 seconds at mid-range and 2.0 seconds at long range in an all-in-one simultaneous mode.
TRS-4D has a released tracking capacity of 1,000 targets (sea/air), Sea Watcher 100 can only track 200 surface targets; for Sea Master 400 such a figure hasn't been released, but is probably at somewhere around 250 simultaneous targets.

swerve

Super Moderator
I don't know how much of the Absalon armament is fitted and the F125 has not entred service; but on paper it looks heavier than the F125?

ESSM & 2 x 35mm CIWS v 2 x RAM
Harpoon = Harpoon
127mm = 127mm

I would have said ESSM was in a different league to RAM? The flexideck is going to be some much more useful....
Harpoon & ESSM are not permanent on Absalon & Esbern Snare. They're STANFLEX modules. The class can carry up to 5 missile modules.

radar07

Resolution-vs-range is a direct result of the radar band used (E/F- plus X- vs G-Band). In addition, TRS-4D has a declassified update frequency of "under one second", whereas Sea Master 400 (air search) is switchable between update frequencies of two seconds and one second and Sea Watcher 100 (surface search) updates at 1.0 seconds short-range, 1.6 seconds at mid-range and 2.0 seconds at long range in an all-in-one simultaneous mode.
TRS-4D has a released tracking capacity of 1,000 targets (sea/air), Sea Watcher 100 can only track 200 surface targets; for Sea Master 400 such a figure hasn't been released, but is probably at somewhere around 250 simultaneous targets.
ok if the trs-4d stil uses c-band the resolution will be better than the s-band sea master but whats about the range than? a c-band radar as a single radar solution doesn't sounds like the best long range surveillance solution for a 7000t frigate in my ears. i would be interessted to get a view on the source about the trs-4d figures (if you could provide it) but what i can say so far is that you mainly compare sea watch which is a surface search radar (in other words a high tech navigation radar) with trs-4d which is the main (and for the f-125 the only) air surveillance radar. i can't see a difference between 1 sec update rate for sea master and "under" 1 sec for trs-4d (most probably 0,95 sec ;) ). in general for par the update rate depends on many values like range, no of targets to track, other tasks like search operation etc. so a single figure for the update rate can only be a generalized value.
i don't know why sea master should only be able to track 250 targets. smart-s mk2 for example is able to handle 500 targets so i'm pretty sure that sea master is able to handle much more than 250 tracks (even more than 500).

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The German tabloid press today finally took note that there's a naval elint/sigint mission going on off the coast of Syria. Of course they portrayed it as chockful of BND - German foreign intelligence - agents handing information to US and UK counterparts who feed it to Syrian rebels, which is rather good for a little laugh.
Navy officials deflected along the lines of "no, we don't run spy missions for/with the BND" and "no, there's no BND equipment mounted on that ship".

For some reason they failed to take note that this strategic recon mission has been going on for a year now, since it was shifted over from Libya. Or that it's essentially part of a persistent eastern mediterranean sigint mission that's been going on for about seven years now and that the Israeli Air Force took enough offense to to fire upon them in 2006.

mariohot

The German tabloid press today finally took note that there's a naval elint/sigint mission going on off the coast of Syria. Of course they portrayed it as chockful of BND - German foreign intelligence - agents handing information to US and UK counterparts who feed it to Syrian rebels, which is rather good for a little laugh.
Navy officials deflected along the lines of "no, we don't run spy missions for/with the BND" and "no, there's no BND equipment mounted on that ship".

For some reason they failed to take note that this strategic recon mission has been going on for a year now, since it was shifted over from Libya. Or that it's essentially part of a persistent eastern mediterranean sigint mission that's been going on for about seven years now and that the Israeli Air Force took enough offense to to fire upon them in 2006.

hi, any fresh news from german navy?