Future Military Contracts Worldwide

suede

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Croatia shortlisted two companies, Patria and Styer Damlier Puch to offer 126 Armoured APCs. Value of the contract is about USD 220 mil.

Source Croation Ministry of Defence, 9/2/07

The Minister of Defence Berislav Roncevic with his associates, Minister of Finance Ivan Suker, Assistant Minister of Ministry of Labour Petar Tolic, Advisor of the President of the Republic of Croatia Vlatko Cvrtila and the Director of the Djuro Djakovic Special Vehicles Company, Bartol Jerkovic, attended the session of the Armoured Combat Vehicle" Project Committee on the 9th of February 2007.

Till now, in the Armoured Combat Vehicle Project, tactical and technical study of the Armoured Combat Vehicle has been finished, which defined the requirements for final and binding offer for the two tenderers – Patria and Styer Damlier Puch.

On the Committee session, it was also agreed to invite and give the bilingual tender documentation to both companies. It was also confirmed that the tender documentation would be ready for delivery to two companies in 15 days and that in the tender would be documentation for 6x6 and 8x8 combat vehicle.

swerve

Super Moderator
Correct me if i am wrong but Japan cannot export military equipment
The ban is not complete. See below.

Japan has exported dual-use equipment, such as military transport aircraft. Japanese rules are self-imposed, & can, in theory, be changed, & the practice has been stricter than the theory, meaning some relaxation might be possible without an open policy change. METI could quietly let potential exporters know it might grant export licences where now nobody bothers to apply, knowing they'll be refused.

The current government is minded to change many things relating to the Japanese armed forces (e.g. Japan now has a defence ministry, headed by a defence minister who is in the cabinet - until last month it had a defence agency, of lesser status), perhaps including the export restrictions, so maybe the rules will be eased.

Also, there is a specific exclusion to the normal limits: Japan may export weapons (in practice, this means components & knowledge) to the USA, even when this violates the third principle.

The official policy -
http://www.mofa.go.jp/policy/un/disarmament/policy/index.html

suede

swerve, thanks for the insight about japan

I wonder if anyone knows in which phase is the Indian competition about the SPH (provision of ~400 SPHs, shortlisted companies, etc.)

another question is if anyone heard something about the trainer aircraft contest in Israel, Will they lease trainers or they buy new ones?

It has been issued early this month the rfp about the KC-X Aerial Tanker, a sure condender will be Boeing with KC-767 (an 767-200 derivative) and probably Northrop will team-up with EADS/Airbus to offer the KC-30 (an A330-200 derivative)

US tanker replacement contract worth approximately 40 billion. The winner of the contract will replace 179 tankers. Boeing 767 and Airbus-Northrop Grumman KC-30(A330 MRTT) are the battling for the contract.

Last edited:

Maskirovka

Banned Member
I wonder if anyone knows in which phase is the Indian competition about the SPH (provision of ~400 SPHs, shortlisted companies, etc.)
Is the SPH-deal in the same package as the howitzer competition? Cause when reading about the howitzer competition it appears to be an joke allmost. They have had five rounds of trials and the Bofors have been the winner in each one. The army wants Bofors but the politicians don´t want to touch it with a pole... The south-african Denel was blacklisted after some bribe-scandal. Only the Israeli Soltam and Bofors remains.

In the last trials the Bofors howitzer, once again, outperformed the Soltam and is really the only contender, if it was´nt for those politicians. Bofors offers new howitzers, a SPH (the Archer) and to upgrade Indias old Bofors-howitzers to modern standard.
India will probably continue having new trials until Bofors gets tired and goes home, or untill India gets a new government...

Some quotes:
Before this, Bofors, Soltam and Denel guns had put up three round of trials since 2001, in which the Swedish company, which has been taken over by British defence major British Aerospace, outperformed the rivals. Former Vice Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen Shantanu Choudhary told PTI that in earlier trials, the Bofors guns had met 99 per cent of the parameters set. Yet, the army went in for another round of trials.Though the Israeli Soltam gun broke its barrel during the last round of trials, it was allowed to compete again, according to well informed army sources.
The Army has dispelled the impression that the "Bofors ghost" is behind repeated trials of artillery guns. As BAE Systems SWS Defence (formerly Bofors) is a contender for a major Indian Army order, it is felt that repeated trials are being conducted to select any other company but Bofors.
The BAE Systems SWS Defence Chairman Haken Kangert has publicly said: "I really want to know what is the question so that I can give the right answer."
Though the Vice Chief did not indicate the gun system chosen by the Army, high level sources said that in recent summer, winter and mobility trials, the Swedish company, had outperformed its Israeli rival Soltam.
http://www.outlookindia.com/pti_news.asp?gid=73&id=430800

http://www.hindu.com/2006/11/21/stories/2006112104221000.htm

http://www.hindu.com/2006/12/29/stories/2006122907891400.htm

Maskirovka

Banned Member
Bofors phobia stalls gun upgrade

...and now there will perhaps be a 6th(!!) round of trials in India of howitzers. It seems pretty clear that the politicians will keep having trials until Bofors decides to quit. Who will give in, the indian politicians or the army?

New Delhi, Feb. 25: The Indian Army has been asked to re-invite bids for an order of towed artillery guns after the Bofors guns outraced South African and Israeli competitors in repeated trials held over four years.
Bofors is the clear favourite of the Indian Army once again for the fresh order of 400 towed artillery guns. The army was already convinced in the 1999 Kargil war that the gun was a good buy irrespective of the kickbacks row it threw up.
During trials for the towed pieces, the Bofors artillery sequence — into action, a volley of eight rounds in under a minute, out of action and a move of 500 metres — was faster than that of its competitors. Also, the Israeli Soltam gun had broken down during an earlier summer trial in the Rajasthan desert. In a fifth round of summer and winter trials, Bofors performed better than the Israeli Soltam. The third gun in contention from South Africa’s Denel was ruled out earlier because the firm was blacklisted.
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070226/asp/frontpage/story_7441995.asp

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
...and now there will perhaps be a 6th(!!) round of trials in India of howitzers. It seems pretty clear that the politicians will keep having trials until Bofors decides to quit. Who will give in, the indian politicians or the army?

Quote:
New Delhi, Feb. 25: The Indian Army has been asked to re-invite bids for an order of towed artillery guns after the Bofors guns outraced South African and Israeli competitors in repeated trials held over four years.

Quote:
Bofors is the clear favourite of the Indian Army once again for the fresh order of 400 towed artillery guns. The army was already convinced in the 1999 Kargil war that the gun was a good buy irrespective of the kickbacks row it threw up.

Quote:
During trials for the towed pieces, the Bofors artillery sequence — into action, a volley of eight rounds in under a minute, out of action and a move of 500 metres — was faster than that of its competitors. Also, the Israeli Soltam gun had broken down during an earlier summer trial in the Rajasthan desert. In a fifth round of summer and winter trials, Bofors performed better than the Israeli Soltam. The third gun in contention from South Africa’s Denel was ruled out earlier because the firm was blacklisted.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/107022...ry_7441995.asp
I think your post makes a telling point Maskirovka. It seems obvious to me that the army is not happy with the political direction they are getting re this project and that it wants the Bofors gun.

Cheers

Maskirovka

Banned Member
I think your post makes a telling point Maskirovka. It seems obvious to me that the army is not happy with the political direction they are getting re this project and that it wants the Bofors gun.

Cheers

I wonder if these 4-5 years of tough trials will have any impact on the Australian purchase? I know Archer is one one of the contender and the fact that the same gun have won five trials in India could have some output...

Does Bofors and Sweden has any negative arms-sale reputation in australia? (Besides the subs wich were the aussies own fault)

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
I wonder if these 4-5 years of tough trials will have any impact on the Australian purchase? I know Archer is one one of the contender and the fact that the same gun have won five trials in India could have some output...

Does Bofors and Sweden has any negative arms-sale reputation in australia? (Besides the subs wich were the aussies own fault)
The Land 17 project in Australia is moving ahead and the Archer is in the mix of contenders. However, there is speculation at the moment that the army is considering acquiring surplus Dutch PzH 2000 SPHs possibly involving a barter involving Bushmaster vehicles. Other contenders, according to the March edition of CONTACT, include the K9 Thunder and the Denel G6-52. I understand that the Giat Caesar and the Soltam contenders have been eliminated because they don't provide crew protection during gun firing and reloading, which is now a requirement. I imagine the army will be looking to buy the gun that, whilst meeting its technical requirements, provides the best value for money.

I'm not aware of any negativity towards Swedish arms sales to Australia. I recall some political problems with use of the Carl Gustav in Vietnam but AFAIK these were satisfactorily resolved. That was a long time ago but it has ensured that the ADF looks carefully at any restrictions placed on the use of equipment before deciding on a purchase.

I don't have the inside knowledge re the subs to be able to comment as to whose fault it was. The Swedes blame the Aussies and the Aussies blame the Swedes. Post 24 by gf0012-aust in the thread 'Seasprite Helicopters to be scrapped!' in Military Aviation, gives an example of the perspective from the Australian point of view.

Cheers

A

Aussie Digger

The Land 17 project in Australia is moving ahead and the Archer is in the mix of contenders. However, there is speculation at the moment that the army is considering acquiring surplus Dutch PzH 2000 SPHs possibly involving a barter involving Bushmaster vehicles. Other contenders, according to the March edition of CONTACT, include the K9 Thunder and the Denel G6-52. I understand that the Giat Caesar and the Soltam contenders have been eliminated because they don't provide crew protection during gun firing and reloading, which is now a requirement. I imagine the army will be looking to buy the gun that, whilst meeting its technical requirements, provides the best value for money.

I'm not aware of any negativity towards Swedish arms sales to Australia. I recall some political problems with use of the Carl Gustav in Vietnam but AFAIK these were satisfactorily resolved. That was a long time ago but it has ensured that the ADF looks carefully at any restrictions placed on the use of equipment before deciding on a purchase.

I don't have the inside knowledge re the subs to be able to comment as to whose fault it was. The Swedes blame the Aussies and the Aussies blame the Swedes. Post 24 by gf0012-aust in the thread 'Seasprite Helicopters to be scrapped!' in Military Aviation, gives an example of the perspective from the Australian point of view.

Cheers
It's Australia's fault for not purchasing enough warstock to allow us to use a weapon system we have bought, where we wish. The Swedes didn't "stop" us from using the weapon. There's no way they could. What they refused to do was to provide us with supplemental ammunition.

The lesson SHOULD have been learnt by Australia but it doesn't appear to have, as the policy is STILL to maintain minimal warstocks...

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
The lesson SHOULD have been learnt by Australia but it doesn't appear to have, as the policy is STILL to maintain minimal warstocks...
That is a real worry and it is an issue that makes me see red! No matter how trusted and reliable a source of supply may seem in peacetime, there can always be complications (including political ones) in war. These may be resolved in time but time may not always be available. It seems to me that in negotiating any weapons contract a country needs to ensure that ammunition and high usage spare parts are manufactured locally whenever possible and that sufficient warstocks are acquired. I think its high time that Australia's DMO insists to Treasury that this be done. :mad:

The trouble is a politician can get good publicity standing in front of a new 'Gee Wiz' self propelled gun but not much from standing in front of a pile of 155mm ammunition! :rolleyes:

Cheers

vedang

Damn!!!

Cheers
My uncle's in the Indian Army and believe me,they r very happy with the Bofors guns in service and also the successful trials.Its jus the %^&&* politics in India.

Turk

JSF Eurofighter Gripen Rafale and Sukhoi's fighter planes are getting more important in the future.

Rich

JSF Eurofighter Gripen Rafale and Sukhoi's fighter planes are getting more important in the future.
Exactly what in hell does that mean and why has it been introduced in this thread? I can understand someones troubles with the Kings English but at the same time you wont find me, nor probably the others here, in forums where we cant speak the chosen tongue.

Turk, while I'm not always right , I , and others here, often spend considerable time researching data before we post. The Internet is a great research tool, especially when combined with military type experience, but even without it the net is a great help. Why dont you use it before you post these meaningless one Liners. If your weak on technology then give strategy a try. Peoples and nations do things for reasons and being able to figure out those reasons would be beneficial to the group here.

Don't worry about making mistakes and making wrong calls. Everyone does from time to time. Your one Liners in bad English are starting to get annoying and the Mods have already warned you a few times.

suede

Lets keep this thread back in track

UAE will procure a new trainer aircraft (60pcs), among the three shortlisted condenders will be Alenia Aermacchi M-346, BAE Systems advanced Hawk and the Korean Aerospace Industries’ T-50 supersonic jet trainer.

I believe that more contests of trainer aircrafts will be held in the future worldwide. Two countries that will host such a procurement, in medium-term, will be Greece and probably Turkey. It seems to me that T-50 will get a big slice of this market in the future.

cheers

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
is their any news about the new basic trainer to replace the tocano in RAF servise.
the PC9 should be in with a good chance especaly after it one in singapor

suede

is their any news about the new basic trainer to replace the tocano in RAF servise.
the PC9 should be in with a good chance especaly after it one in singapor
RAF has already chosen the Hawk 128 and will enter into service in 2008 as a replacement for some of the current Hawk TMk1s. This platform will be efficient to train new pilots of 4th generation aircrafts (such as Typhoon and in the future, JSF)