Five Power Defence Arrangement - HQ Integrated Area Defence System

weasel1962

Re:

Interesting articles which mention the INS Delhi event in 1997.

How we spy on our friends

http://www.unsw.adfa.edu.au/adsf/working paper documents/Australia-India_Security_.pdf

The source indicates a news report in the Times of India.
- Dinesh Kumar, ‘Australian Aircraft Takes Pictures of Indian Vessels’, Times of India, 17 December 1997.

Its detente since then with exercise malabar in 07 and delhi class ddg visiting down under. I think the RAN had a collins listening in for malabar (ol' habits die hard). USN had P-3s/subs participate during the Malabar exercises as well.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Interesting articles which mention the INS Delhi event in 1997.

How we spy on our friends

http://www.unsw.adfa.edu.au/adsf/working paper documents/Australia-India_Security_.pdf

- Dinesh Kumar, ‘Australian Aircraft Takes Pictures of Indian Vessels’, Times of India, 17 December 1997.

Its detente since then with exercise malabar in 07 and delhi class ddg visiting down under. I think the RAN had a collins listening in for malabar (ol' habits die hard). USN had P-3s/subs participate during the Malabar exercises as well.
I'd be taking that with a pinch of salt.

eg we listen in on our allies as well, everyone does. It's a normal part part of training.

TALISMAN SABRE is like a submariners convention with attendees and uninvited guests all having a sniff.

Its just business.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
No need, there's lots of pixs of that ship which are taken when they are visiting a foreign port. I'm sure the Americans/Australians/Chinese... and a long, long list of other countries maintain a non-open source warship database of their own.

weasel1962

Re:

Not in 1997 though. INS Delhi was only commissioned in 15 Nov 1997. The incident would probably have occurred around that time.

I agree with GF though. Its over-blown and everyone does it. However, it is reflective of the Indian sensitivities in the run-up to the 1998 nuke tests (operation Shakti) and elections. There were also tensions in the Indian navy resulting in the sacking of the Chief of Navy.

STURM

As gf0012-aust said ''its just business''. Its routine and everyone expects others to do it.

Off topic but in 95 or 96, Janes reported that a RSAF Fokker would make a regular weekly run of flying up the Melaka Straits collecting SIGINT and ELINT on the Malaysians before making a night stop in Yangoon.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Off topic, I've had drinks with a former radar operator on our puppies. We are using some American gear. Anyway, it's all moot. Your guys/gals are now invited to join us for flights. It's now big love... work together and so on... :)

weasel1962

Re:

As gf0012-aust said ''its just business''. Its routine and everyone expects others to do it.

Off topic but in 95 or 96, Janes reported that a RSAF Fokker would make a regular weekly run of flying up the Melaka Straits collecting SIGINT and ELINT on the Malaysians before making a night stop in Yangoon.
Those included C-130s. Its not just Janes. See paras relating to footnotes 91-95 in the link below:

Electronic Walfare at Bejucal