First generation home computer

highsea

I was going to post this in the humor thread, but we can't link pics there.

Okay, it's PS'd, but it was kind of humorous. :D

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Its toooo small 4 me.lol

imagine working on that....it will take hours. Its better to work on paper.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Cassy(Highsea) I believe ur boat's (Highsea) controls r smaller n fewer than those on that computer.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
:p: I think to make this computer engineers have stolen things from other compnies like Navy, black and white TV making company,meter guage etc.
Its exciting to watch that.
Pathfinder-X I think those people were not stupids caz those people setup the base of these modren computers.At that time these machines and robots were not developed to produce processors motherboards one by one:mad:

adsH

kashifshahzad said:
Pathfinder-X I think those people were not stupids caz those people setup the base of these modren computers.At that time these machines and robots were not developed to produce processors motherboards one by one:mad:
Dude Chill!! Read Paths Comments carefully he was referring to us as being the stupid ones our GUI Interfaces put us to shame, I’m ashamed to acknowledge that I have a PC (hidden) at home. I tend to use the UNIX when ever I’m with my crowd. LOL

This is still pritty modern by early standards hence the Professor smiling on the PIC, where is the operators AKA Programmer Console. The Printer is no doubt for the output. I wonder if the Mouse you mentioned was used to Switch inn values, I am more accustomed to our Manchester one.

Last edited:

EnigmaNZ

More to the point, back in those days motherboards did not exist, everything was valves and hard wired, heck back in the 1970's when I was in the electronics industry, it was still essentially valves, transistors in portable items, and IC's still to come.
My first computer was a atari 400, 16Kb of memory, tape backup, cost me $NZ2200 for the unit with tape deck, 2 joysticks and a couple of games, they were $NZ120 each, games like Space Invaders, Pacman, etc lol on 4 Kb cartridges. That was ah about 8 months pay. Back in 1995 a 486 laptop was retailing here for about $NZ25,000, amazing, looking through some old computer mags from the mid '90 a little while ago.
The first digital watch I saw was a stainless steel case with red LED's that read out hours and minutes, price a steal at $NZ330, at the time about 9 weeks pay for me, and I really thought about buying it, lol. That was about the mid '70's.
So back in 1950, the rapid advances that were to take place just weren't expected, heck they thought that cars of today would still have tail fins and the sky would be full of flying cars and nuclear powered planes hehehe.