F-35 Program - General Discussion

Millennium7

I have read somewhere that every F35 needs to be connected, through ALIS, to a server in the USA at least once a month. If it doesn't happen, the software either stops the plane from flying and/or the weapons to be used. Is this true? Have you ever head of this?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I have read somewhere that every F35 needs to be connected, through ALIS, to a server in the USA at least once a month. If it doesn't happen, the software either stops the plane from flying and/or the weapons to be used. Is this true? Have you ever head of this?
Do you recall or can you provide a link to that claim? On the surface, such a requirement without more details, seems improbable.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Seems highly unlikely, though almost a "fact" if you chance to read RT or TASS.

All of the user nations have or are developing firewalls to restrict which information they're willing to share with ALIS. It strikes me that a system which requires less than full disclosure of sovereign info (like how many bombs have been dropped, or mission hours flown, or whatever) would be a bit uninformed as a airworthiness policeman.

Or you can read RT. They have the gen.

oldsig

SpazSinbad

'oldsig127' has a good reply whilst this old 'propergander' artickle 'bout ALIS in WAnderland [see graphic] is NOT believable because it ain't PUBlisked by ROOSKIES (I jest): :)

GRAPHIC: http://www.sae.org/events/dod/2015/attend/program/presentations/p4_lachance_scott.pdf

Could Connectivity Failure Ground F-35? It's Complicated Lara Seligman 27 Apr 2016
"...JPO chief Lt. Gen. Christopher Bogdan [told] reporters last week after testifying before the Senate Armed Services Committee there is "absolutely" no truth to the claim that a failure to connect to ALIS could ground the fleet.... All ALIS servers connect through encrypted land or satellite military networks, rather than the "internet" we usually think of, Scott noted [Dave Scott, vice president of training and logistics solution business development for Lockheed Martin Mission Systems and Training].

There is only one global ALIS server, called the Autonomic Logistics Operating Unit (ALOU), where spare parts are ordered and reliability trends are analyzed, Scott said. Each partner nation has its own server, called the Central Point of Entry (CPE), which stores sovereign data and transmits that information to the ALOU, Scott explained. Individual squadrons operate locally with a server called the Standard Operating Unit (SOU), which communicates with that nation's CPE. Squadrons can operate independently and store data for about 30 days without connecting to the partner nation's CPE, Scott said. Then, when a connection is re-established, the SOU uploads the stored data to the CPE....

... the overall F-35 fleet should be able to operate without connection for up to 30 days with maintainers tracking the work off-line, the Pentagon told GAO. Losing connectivity to ALIS would be a pain, but hardly fatal, the JPO contends. If jets are unable to use ALIS — a ground-based system that provides sustainment and support, but not combat capabilities for the jet — the F-35 is still a usable plane. In fact, the worst case scenario would be that operators would have to track maintenance and manage daily squadron operations manually, just as older jets do.... [BEST READ it all at the URL] Could Connectivity Failure Ground F-35? It's Complicated
F-35networkALIStifsmall.gif

Last edited:

SpazSinbad

Given the CONSTRAINTS in time & airspace demanded by the PARIS AIR SHOW you will probably not see a better F-35A demo for a while. Meanwhile this long video has shaky camera and nothing happening in the first minute and a half, but then you see DOJO probably practicing maneuvers for the airshow routine. It is NOT a complete routine however because often the pilot is replacing the aircraft for another maneuver so that it is where it should be during an actual airshow routine. This is a practice people - not the real deal.

F-35 Practice Demo!!!!! [18 mins] 09 Jan 2019

hairyman

So ? and your point ? My Mitsubishi Triton is the same length as Victor Bray's Top Door Slammer, geez we are close in a drag race !!

Seriously get a grip guys !! We are getting so far out of reality that the integrity of this forum is in serious decline

Is this an abusive post?
When I am just trying to pass on some information?

SpazSinbad

Watch this F-35A Demo Pilot (probably DOJO) slouch by at slow speed high angle of attack then LIGHT THAT CANDLE to power UP & AWAY! The 'nose down' maneuver is called a BUNT.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Is this an abusive post?
When I am just trying to pass on some information?
Get a grip please. That info you said you were passing on has been plastered all over this forum for gawd knows how long.

Not aimed at any one in particular.
This is a professional defence forum and we do not take kindly to the integrity of it being impinged by sub par posts and content. Kindly remember that when wondering why Moderators, Defence Professionals and other posters pull you up about your posts.

SpazSinbad

On previous page 64 of this thread there was a question about F-35 nickname PANTHER with some responses - here is another one - from LM assembly line.F-35finalAssemplyLMpantherDen.gif

Ranger25

Staff member
The USAF is joining the USN AARGM-ER program, the newest HARM version. They also intent it to be able tomdommaoremthat anti-radiation mission profiles.

The “Stand In Attack Weapon (SiAW) system will provide strike capability to defeat rapidly relocatable targets that create the Anti-Access/Area Denial (A2/AD) environment,” the Air Force’s latest budget request explains. “The target environment includes Theater Ballistic Missile Launchers, Land Attackand Anti-Ship Cruise Missile Launchers, GPS Jammers, Anti-Satellite Systems, and Integrated Air Defense Systems.”

Air Force To Turn Navy Air Defense Busting Missile Into High-Speed Critical Strike Weapon

Navy Orders Development Of New Air Defense Blasting Missile That Will Fit Inside F-35