F-35 Program - General Discussion

Boagrius

^ Seems unlikely to me, but I suppose crazier things have happened? :confused:

My previous post re: the new livery for the F35 appears to have been accurate:

https://a855196877272cb14560-2a4fa8...ckcdn.com/17563/f35_weekly_update_4_13_17.pdf

"The Z13 overcoat significantly reduces the need for many of the labor-intensive tasks that drove rework and repair hours up. As you can see from this infographic, the new F-35 coating being utilized in the coming months is a significant affordability initiative saving time and money while helping build a better aircraft."

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Have heard that new build F35s are set to get a new coating/livery, with existing airframes to receive it later. Can't attest to the quality of the source 100% though so would be interested to know if others can confirm? I don't mind the lighter tone to be honest.
Me either. It also seems to help the aircraft look more 'fighter-ish' which should help dull down some of the more idiotic chatter on the subject...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
^ Seems unlikely to me, but I suppose crazier things have happened? :confused:

My previous post re: the new livery for the F35 appears to have been accurate:

https://a855196877272cb14560-2a4fa8...ckcdn.com/17563/f35_weekly_update_4_13_17.pdf

"The Z13 overcoat significantly reduces the need for many of the labor-intensive tasks that drove rework and repair hours up. As you can see from this infographic, the new F-35 coating being utilized in the coming months is a significant affordability initiative saving time and money while helping build a better aircraft."
the Z13 coat is more about reduced maint and sustainment through a superior surface etc....

eg F-22's need to be resurfaced if they engage in aggressive manouvres so as to maintain signature protection, whereas this does not seem to be an issue with F35 due to the different application of the "application"

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It seems as if the Israelis have become the first to use the F-35 in combat. A recent report, citing French intelligence sources, indicates that the Israelis used their newly arrived F-35s to take out a S-300 site close to Damascus and a Pantsir mobile site in Lebanon.

Israel's F-35s may have flown combat mission against Russia in Syria - Business Insider
Already been thoroughly debunked. It was an Israeli surface to sufrace missile that conducted this strike. Most likely a Delilah GL cruise missile, but neither confirmed nor denied of course, by Israel.

One thing Israel did confirm, was that they flew their first official F-35 night flight on January 16, 3 days AFTER this night time strike occurred...

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
First videos of the F-35 hitting the Mach Loop in Wales, some good shots and action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrnkmjxiEdY

Do a search and a few more on there too, god they look good :)

Cheers
C'mon, these aren't 'real' fighters remember?

I still remember the Senate Testimony where Peter Goon stated openly in fron of RAAF senior sirs, that these didn't have the aerodynamic climb performance of a 737 and then pretends he doesn't care for 'indifference to reality...' As he calls it...

https://mobile.twitter.com/hmmbob/status/805637604917923840/video/1

There is reality for you Peter. I know it is a strange concept for you... Something you have not been familiar with in a long time, I suspect...

Boagrius

I still remember the Senate Testimony where Peter Goon stated openly in fron of RAAF senior sirs, that these didn't have the aerodynamic climb performance of a 737 and then pretends he doesn't care for 'indifference to reality...' As he calls it...

There is reality for you Peter. I know it is a strange concept for you... Something you have not been familiar with in a long time, I suspect...
:laugh APA's audacity knows no bounds it would seem...

On a brighter note the F35 does look really slick in the air, especially when allowed to stretch its legs. Will be great to see what it can do once Block 3F and beyond rolls around.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

LOL, I remember when Kopp and Goon were actually in favour of the JSF, it was in the early days of their F-111 pitch, they were proposing their upgraded 111's with the JSF as support on the bombing runs, they were a big fan of it !!

Then they realised the JSF had killed their idea and they became anti from that point on. Last time I looked the original proposal giving the thumbs up for the JSF was still on their website :)

Cheers

Boagrius

LOL, I remember when Kopp and Goon were actually in favour of the JSF, it was in the early days of their F-111 pitch, they were proposing their upgraded 111's with the JSF as support on the bombing runs, they were a big fan of it !!

Then they realised the JSF had killed their idea and they became anti from that point on. Last time I looked the original proposal giving the thumbs up for the JSF was still on their website :)

Cheers
What caused the change in tune? I have a vague recollection of someone here describing a point at which they thought they were going to sell/otherwise benefit financially from their Raptor/Uber Pig combo idea, only to become bitter and twisted when it never happened. (??)

EDIT: Never mind - search function is my friend. It was ADMk2 in this very thread(!).

Just did a google of Australian Flight Test Services and nearly spat my morning coffee all over my work laptop. Thanks a lot ADMk2...:lol2;)

Last edited:

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
What caused the change in tune? I have a vague recollection of someone here describing a point at which they thought they were going to sell/otherwise benefit financially from their Raptor/Uber Pig combo idea, only to become bitter and twisted when it never happened. (??)
Yep, Goon and kopp formed a $2 shelf company called Australian Flight Test Services and pitched their F-22/Uber F-111 combo for AIR-6000. Their idea was that they created this idea, so they could be awarded the contract and just sub-contract all the actuals of their proposal, ie: F-22's and the upgrade work on F-111...

Who would their sub-contractors be? Only Lockheed Martin and Boeing no less... They just expected to be paid handsome royalties for the 'brilliance' of this idea...

JSF was proposed by L-M for AIR-6000 and Super Hornet by Boeing. As these were legitimate rivals, they became their number 1 and 2 targets for 'character assassination' ever more afterwards...

Boagrius

Yep, Goon and kopp formed a $2 shelf company called Australian Flight Test Services and pitched their F-22/Uber F-111 combo for AIR-6000. Their idea was that they created this idea, so they could be awarded the contract and just sub-contract all the actuals of their proposal, ie: F-22's and the upgrade work on F-111...

Who would their sub-contractors be? Only Lockheed Martin and Boeing no less... They just expected to be paid handsome royalties for the 'brilliance' of this idea...

JSF was proposed by L-M for AIR-6000 and Super Hornet by Boeing. As these were legitimate rivals, they became their number 1 and 2 targets for 'character assassination' ever more afterwards...
Just breathtaking. Lunatics of the highest order eh?

t68

Just breathtaking. Lunatics of the highest order eh?
That's gold, would have been interesting to see how they were going to get around the US Obey Admendment of banning exports.

Why would they sit down with them if they can see a small technical problem like that:coffee

And the part I really like!!
Various attempts over the past 4 years to discuss this option with senior departmental officials have been ignored, with prejudice. In the national interest, we respectfully request you direct the Chief of Air Force and the New Air Combat Capability Project Office to open a formal dialogue with us on this option.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Goon & Kopp, comming to a comedy theatre near you.
And to this day quoted as "Defence Experts" by Our ABC and others. I do wish that both the electronic media and press in this country would actually pay someone competent to write Defence stories and cut out a lot of the absolute nonsense and unmitigated fluff that we usually get to see.

oldsig

t68

And to this day quoted as "Defence Experts" by Our ABC and others. I do wish that both the electronic media and press in this country would actually pay someone competent to write Defence stories and cut out a lot of the absolute nonsense and unmitigated fluff that we usually get to see.

oldsig
I used to look forward to reading A Gubler articles in I think it was defence today or something like that.