F-35 Multirole Joint Strike Fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack412

ADM, very true, I didn't think past the f-35

it was also said previously M1.2+ has also been confirmed by a test pilot.
on another note and won't come as a surprise to many...Bill 'LowObservable' Sweetman has started his fear and doubt and said
"As far as the AFA story goes, it should be read in a conjunction with the briefer's record of statements and predictions since he first became a public spokesman for the program."

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there any word on a more recent delivery shedule for the F-35? The only one I have to hand - 2007 revision - most probably isn't relevant anymore.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
ADM, very true, I didn't think past the f-35

it was also said previously M1.2+ has also been confirmed by a test pilot.
on another note and won't come as a surprise to many...Bill 'LowObservable' Sweetman has started his fear and doubt and said
"As far as the AFA story goes, it should be read in a conjunction with the briefer's record of statements and predictions since he first became a public spokesman for the program."
It's an awfully big (and specific) claim to make publicly if it isn't true...

However, I don't know why anyone would care what Bill has to say on the subject.

Anyone who wants to BUY the thing and wants to know if this is true, will just ask the pilots who've done it or attempt it themselves during their initial testing...

It's an awfully big (and specific) claim to make publicly if it isn't true...

However, I don't know why anyone would care what Bill has to say on the subject.

Anyone who wants to BUY the thing and wants to know if this is true, will just ask the pilots who've done it or attempt it themselves during their initial testing...
Hi Guys, hope you are all doing well, sorry I don't seem to find the time to post as much, but I see you guys are keeping up the good work over here on DT, the Air Force's OUE will be finished in a little less than two weeks if the weather stays good, four student pilots are participating, and things are going very well, so keep your fingers crossed. IMHO the OUE will get things moving along quite nicely, and in our news here on DT I noted the 500th training sortie a coupla weeks back. Keep up the good work,Cheers Brat.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reuters said:
Fri Nov 9, 2012 - Lockheed sees increased Singapore interest in F-35 fighter

"Their (Singapore's) interest in the program is still quite strong," Tom Burbage, general manager of the F-35 program, told Reuters late on Thursday after a speech to the Royal Aeronautical Society at the British embassy in Washington. "Their activity has picked up a little bit and it makes us think that they're going to become more active," Burbage said, when asked about Singapore's plans to place F-35 orders.
A little obscure news about Singapore's interest and activity in the JSF programme. However, the report, when you read it really says nothing of substance about Singapore buy plans...

SpudmanWP

The Bunker Group
F-35 Program finishes OUE work

F-35A OUE events completed, success handed to AETC for review

1/13/2012 - EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. -- A major step in the building the Air Force's F-35A Lightning II training program was accomplished when the 33rd Fighter Wing completed the training and flying portion of the service's operational utility evaluation on schedule Nov. 15.

Four pilots began training when the evaluation started Sept. 10, expecting it to last approximately 65 days. Six weeks of academic training and 24 sorties later, they are all fully-qualified F-35A pilots.

"We were able to conduct the flying portion in less than half the time than we planned for because things went so well with the flying, weather was good, maintainers were doing a great job getting jets out on the line and instructors were doing a good job of teaching these guys," said Col. Andrew Toth, 33rd Fighter Wing commander.

From no experience to fully qualified joint strike fighter pilot was the hallmark of the success according to wing leaders and instructor pilots.
More at the Jump

Thanks for the update Spud, that had slipped my attention, good news indeed for the little thunderhogg, she is shaping up to be a performer, and I really can't wait to see how the high AOA testing goes, that will be another important milestone for JSF, so we can cross our fingers and toes and hopefully she will be sorted with no major complications. AFB

SpudmanWP

The Bunker Group
First Operational F-35 unit (VMFA-121) F-35 gets it first F-35B.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-qU6FU7QvM"]VMFA-121 gets first operational F-35B - YouTube[/nomedia]

The Marine Corps welcomed its first operational F-35B aircraft, the Marine Corps variant of the F-35 Lightning II also known as the Joint Strike Fighter, to Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, Ariz. Friday, Nov. 16. The F-35B, one of three variants of the Joint Strike Fighter, is a tactical fixed-wing aircraft that is to be the replacement for aging jets within the Marine Corps. 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing's first F-35 squadron, Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 121, is based at MCAS Yuma and is the first operational F-35 squadron in the Marine Corps and the Department of Defense. Marine F-35B pilot Maj. Aric Liberman delivered the first F-35B, BF-19, to MCAS Yuma at 1:05 p.m. MST. This aircraft will be used to conduct a full spectrum of aviation operations in support of combat missions and maritime readiness worldwide

First Operational F-35 unit (VMFA-121) F-35 gets it first F-35B.

VMFA-121 gets first operational F-35B - YouTube
Thanks for posting this Spud, I would remind folks that this time last year lots of folkes were questioning the future of the B model, I think it is somewhat poetic that the B is the first operational F-35 and the US Marines [VMFA-121] is the first operational unit of the F-35B, I would also confess that I have become a true believer, thanks to some of you knot headed Aussies, and I mean it really. Thanks guys, and I can't wait to see you guys stand up your first F-35s, I know you are as anxious as I am, and as an American, I'm glad we still have some partners, real ones, standing with us!

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
F-35 high angle of attack testing is underway. So far, the naysayers have proven once again to be massively incorrect.

The F-35A CTOL variant has opened up it's envelope to it's intended full 50 degree AoA after only 4 test flights, though there are plenty more tests to come of course (varying load configurations, flight control system testing and so on).

Good video is available (apart from the music...) below.

F-35 High Angle of Attack Testing - YouTube

Haavarla

well.. isn't that a little premature stobiewan?

I would wait with the champagne until the 50 deg AoA is reached, which it has yet to do.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
well.. isn't that a little premature stobiewan?

I would wait with the champagne until the 50 deg AoA is reached, which it has yet to do.
Guess it's time to crack open the Dom Stobie!

AF-4, an F-35A Lightning II conventional takeoff and landing test aircraft that is now equipped with a spin recovery parachute was flown to rapidly expand the type’s high angle of attack, or AOA, test envelope to its fifty degree limit in only four sorties during November 2012 at the US Air Force Test Center at Edward AFB, California. High AOA testing will continue on the F-35A for the next several months and will verify both aerodynamic loading on the aircraft as well as the capabilities of the fighter’s flight control system.
Code One Magazine: High AOA

F-35 high angle of attack testing is underway. So far, the naysayers have proven once again to be massively incorrect.

The F-35A CTOL variant has opened up it's envelope to it's intended full 50 degree AoA after only 4 test flights, though there are plenty more tests to come of course (varying load configurations, flight control system testing and so on).

Good video is available (apart from the music...) below.
The video is excellent, shows a very high rate of decent as the aircraft is pulled to the high alpha regime, the spin chute is quite an attachment, but is there in case loss of directional control does occur, as he breaks off the test he pitches down to the vertical and kinda rolls it into what could be described as a pro spin mode. I would remind all that this is very low g load, and as the gs go up, any breakaway will become progressively more abrupt and possibly violent, but thats why the spin chute is there. Thanks for posting ADM and I do agree guys that this is a great sign along with the Marines standing up their first operational squadron that folks are very confindent that the little thunderhoggs issues are fully manageable, thanks for being among the faithfull, pitty the Raptor didn't have a committed team such as yourselves behind her, but such is life? Congratualations gentlemen!

SpudmanWP

The Bunker Group
F-35 begins integration phase of weapons testing

11/20/2012 - EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. (AFNS) -- The Joint Strike Fighter began the integration phase of weapons testing Oct. 26, when the F-35A Conventional Takeoff and Landing aircraft successfully completed the first in-flight test with an AIM-120 Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile.

It was the first time a weapon communicated with the aircraft during flight using a data link.

Starting in February and continuing through the end of April, the team is anticipating releasing roughly two weapons per week, said Cregier.
Much More at the jump

btw, That is 20-24 weapon drops before the end of April 2013.

south

The video is excellent, shows a very high rate of decent as the aircraft is pulled to the high alpha regime, the spin chute is quite an attachment, but is there in case loss of directional control does occur, as he breaks off the test he pitches down to the vertical and kinda rolls it into what could be described as a pro spin mode.
Jets at high alpha dont roll around the fuselage reference line, they roll around the flight vector. Hence it looks wierd as people are used to seeing nice tidy aileron rolls. Not really a pro spin mode, though it does (in this case) look like an entrance to a spin.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A bit of information is hitting the web about a potential new air to air missile for the F-35 proposed by Lockheed Martin.

It's called the CUDA and is to be in the same general class as AMRAAM, with an airframe size the same as the SDB and using the same racks as SDB, meaning potentially F-35 could carry up to 12 of these weapons internally, or 8 + 2x AMRAAM's...

Potentially these could be "hit to kill" weapons if the targetting system could be made accurate enough (which would allow more rocket motor room within the missile body for greater range and/or terminal speed) and would substantially alleviate any lingering "payload" concerns with the aircraft for air to air missions.

http://www.airforce-magazine.com/MagazineArchive/Magazine Documents/2012/November 2012/1112expo.pdf

Interesting to see if anything comes from this.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A bit of information is hitting the web about a potential new air to air missile for the F-35 proposed by Lockheed Martin.

It's called the CUDA and is to be in the same general class as AMRAAM, with an airframe size the same as the SDB and using the same racks as SDB, meaning potentially F-35 could carry up to 12 of these weapons internally, or 8 + 2x AMRAAM's...

Potentially these could be "hit to kill" weapons if the targetting system could be made accurate enough (which would allow more rocket motor room within the missile body for greater range and/or terminal speed) and would substantially alleviate any lingering "payload" concerns with the aircraft for air to air missions.

http://www.airforce-magazine.com/MagazineArchive/Magazine Documents/2012/November 2012/1112expo.pdf

Interesting to see if anything comes from this.
Thanks for that, very interesting indeed, wonder how long that has been in the pipeline ? But I do enjoy how these little cherries keep coming out :)

colay

Thanks for that, very interesting indeed, wonder how long that has been in the pipeline ? But I do enjoy how these little cherries keep coming out :)
Build it and they will come... the JSF is the biggest game in town and will be for decades to come so we can expect it to inspire all manner of innovative and intriguing concepts going into the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.