F-35 - International Participation

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
17 Squadron RAF has assumed control of airframe BK-1 at Edwards AFB and marks the start of independent OT&E by the UK without assistance from US forces.

RAF's 17 Sqn assumes control of F-35 test and evaluation - 2/10/2015 - Flight Global

Presumably that means we've got enough trained pilots and maintainers to be able to start training up the rest of our guys. Our other OT&E aircraft (BK-2) isn't mentioned.

It goes on to describe how our first training airframe (BK-3) is at MCAS Beaufort being flown by UK personnel in preparation for 617 Squadron to be reformed next year.

BK-4 is a third OT&E airframe, due to be delivered early 2016.

17 Squadron RAF has assumed control of airframe BK-1 at Edwards AFB and marks the start of independent OT&E by the UK without assistance from US forces.

RAF's 17 Sqn assumes control of F-35 test and evaluation - 2/10/2015 - Flight Global

Presumably that means we've got enough trained pilots and maintainers to be able to start training up the rest of our guys. Our other OT&E aircraft (BK-2) isn't mentioned.

It goes on to describe how our first training airframe (BK-3) is at MCAS Beaufort being flown by UK personnel in preparation for 617 Squadron to be reformed next year.

BK-4 is a third OT&E airframe, due to be delivered early 2016.
that is truly outstanding news Rob, and yes I believe the maintainers are coming up to speed as well, one at Edwards was quoted as saying this is a very complex but capable aircraft. I can't wait to see one in flight myself,,,hopefully we will see a demo team stood up soon, as I know several airplanes were seen at shows last year???

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
that is truly outstanding news Rob, and yes I believe the maintainers are coming up to speed as well, one at Edwards was quoted as saying this is a very complex but capable aircraft. I can't wait to see one in flight myself,,,hopefully we will see a demo team stood up soon, as I know several airplanes were seen at shows last year???
Hopefully they'll make it for RIAT 2015.

Found an Aviation Week article about this story, BK-2 is due to arrive at Edwards AFB early next month to join BK-1 with 17 Squadron.

U.K. ‘Lightning Force’ Stands Up F-35B Operations At Edwards AFB | Defense content from Aviation Week

It fleshes the whole thing out more too

"Until two weeks ago the aircraft were operated under a partnering agreement with the U.S. Marine Corps, so they’ve been operating and maintaining them and both U.K.. And Marine pilots have been flying them," says RAF Squadron Leader Frankie Buchler. "Once BK-1 arrived here we began organic operations. So all the flying, all the maintenance we are doing here is done under sovereign control, in accordance with our military operations back in the U.K. It is all British personnel working on the aircraft now and it will be the same with the second jet we will bring here shortly. We are the first nation to start conducting organic operations without support from the Marine Corps or U.S. Air Force."

A fourth British F-35B, BK-3, has been transferred from Eglin to Beaufort Pilot Training Center at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, South Carolina, where it is operated as part of Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron 501 (VMFAT-501). "That will stay at VMFAT-501 for the next few years to help train future U.K. pilots and maintainers," says Buchler, who in March 2013 became the first international F-35B instructor pilot student at the 33rd Fighter Wing to complete a sortie in the JSF.
Looks like the squadron contains 3 pilots, 2 RAF and 1 RN.

Buchler and one other U.K. F-35B pilot is currently qualified to fly the aircraft through its full short take-off and vertical landing envelope. "Another two will qualify shortly with the assistance of the Marine Corps," Buchler says. "We will take our aircraft down to Yuma, Arizona, to do initial training there using BK-1 and 2." The training is expected to occur "imminently," clearing the way for the start of a more aggressive expansion into operational test and evaluation.

"We will take the aircraft and operate out of Edwards using the northern ranges and put it through almost real-life combat situations with simulated threats on the ground and in the air. We will see how the aircraft performs and make our assessment about whether it meets the standards we require to then release it to the fleet," he adds. The aircraft are waiting for upgrades to the Block 2B version of the fighter’s software which is also the basis for the Marine Corps’ standard at its IOC target later this year. "We are still in the early stages but this summer we really start expanding operational testing," Buchler says.

Block 2B will form the basis for initial testing but "we are looking ahead to the Block 3F fleet release software when we go to full-rate production. Beyond this there is the Block 4 systems upgrade they will do," he adds. Initial testing will include separation and guided releases of advanced short range Asraam, Paveway IV and medium-range AIM-120 Amraam missiles. Buchler adds that "by the time the U.K. takes the aircraft IOC it will have the capability to fire Asraam, Amraam and Paveway – and eventually the MBDA Meteor air-to-air missile."

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's reports coming out of Italy that the AF will no longer get the B variant and will only operate A's and leaving the B's to the navy.

It seems like the plan is a requirement for 90 F-35s split 71 F-35A for the air force and 19 (up from 15) F-35B for the navy.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting. I'd have thought trying to support such a small total on the Navy budget was a strain and that the UK model of a joint force makes more economical sense (providing both parties get access to the cabs as needed and their use doesn't become an interservice bun-fight..)

Interesting. I'd have thought trying to support such a small total on the Navy budget was a strain and that the UK model of a joint force makes more economical sense (providing both parties get access to the cabs as needed and their use doesn't become an interservice bun-fight..)
The Dutch Parliament has approved an order for eight F-35As to be delivered in 2019, with the two that are currently at Luke that will make 10, with moe fun to come! She's stepping up and coming on strong now.

cdxbow

Saw this at military.com in an article about UK commitment to the F35:

"On the Canadian front, new defense chief Harjit Sajjan cautioned that it's too soon to count the F-35 out of their military plans for the future. Sajjan told Reuters said that his agency is still determining the requirements for the competition it plans to hold for a replacement aircraft for the CF-18 fighter jet."

Link http://www.military.com/daily-news/...g-vote-of-confidence-from-united-kingdom.html

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Saw this at military.com in an article about UK commitment to the F35:

"On the Canadian front, new defense chief Harjit Sajjan cautioned that it's too soon to count the F-35 out of their military plans for the future. Sajjan told Reuters said that his agency is still determining the requirements for the competition it plans to hold for a replacement aircraft for the CF-18 fighter jet."

Link F-35 Gets Big Vote of Confidence From United Kingdom | Military.com
Given the horrible state of the RCN, junior can likely sell the rejection of the F-35 to the gullible electorate as the only way to advance the construction of our new surface combatant ships. Complete BS of course but the Canadian electorate still thinks junior smells like a rose (or maybe marijuana).

vonnoobie

That's priceless - someone's citing a link from Strategypage...OMG..what next, got a construction question? Let me quote from the LEGO manufacturers FAQ..
Every one knows LEGO is not involved with the F-35.. There involved with the LCS.. Great equipment base to support interchangeable systems and parts ;)