F-18 Advanced Hornet

vonnoobie

I wonder if USN will want our RAAF F/A-18F's, especially the prewired ones, when we are done with them. The USN is concerned re a fighter gap in future, and and some non carrier used SH that have been well maintained may be a very helpful supplement to their fleet by then (2030). 2030 is only 14 years away, and aircraft are not being rendered obsolete as rapidly as they were in past.
Not sure when the USN plan to retire their Growlers.
From my understanding they plan to retire there Growler's and SH's around the same time as us (or us the same time as them) in the 2030's so I dealt the USN would want our aircraft when they would litereally have them a couple year's before retiring them..

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I don't imagine anyone is not going to be open to a deal where we keep them. But I would think eventually the costs of supporting them will make it not that desirable to keep around. However if there is a specific capability that they offer that we still want. There is plenty of time to keep them around.?
they're not being kept. I suspect the last ones to go will be the Growlers, once lessons learnt from ewarfare operating with the E7's, P3's, Gulfs and JSF's are established.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
From my understanding they plan to retire there Growler's and SH's around the same time as us (or us the same time as them) in the 2030's so I dealt the USN would want our aircraft when they would litereally have them a couple year's before retiring them..
original retirement was slated for 2025 and by that stage the UAS concept might be in play

unless they have other FMS customers who want to zero the frames I suspect that they'll go to the boneyard

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Whilst I'm sure the USN would love to have more F-35C's available when the time comes, but I suspect, from all that I've read over the last while, the Super Hornets and the Growlers may well be kept operational well into the 2030's and possibly beyond too.

And it may well be that the Super Hornets disappear from service first and the Growlers are there for the long term, the very long term.

So for Australia, it may come down to which 'path' do we follow? The USN with the Growler for EW or the USAF, which I understand is far more likely to use the F-35A's as an EW platform (unless some future 'unmanned' option comes to light).

Anyway, still a lot of time ahead of us (the Growlers aren't even in RAAF service yet!!), it may well be that a future Government takes advice from Defence, that we park the Growlers and have the F-35A's performing the EW role, or it may be that we follow the USN model, where the Growler might have a longer life.

Time will tell!!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Anyway, still a lot of time ahead of us (the Growlers aren't even in RAAF service yet!!), it may well be that a future Government takes advice from Defence, that we park the Growlers and have the F-35A's performing the EW role, or it may be that we follow the USN model, where the Growler might have a longer life.

Time will tell!!
the intent is to stay lockstep with the US program for Shornets and JSF -
"the minimum 2 version support" dance

there won't be any creative fleet work for RAAF.

all the hypotheticals popping up are wishful thinking ....

they're discovering new ways to fight, but that doesn't mean that we're getting new fleet structures

John Newman

The Bunker Group
the intent is to stay lockstep with the US program for Shornets and JSF -
"the minimum 2 version support" dance

there won't be any creative fleet work for RAAF.

all the hypotheticals popping up are wishful thinking ....

they're discovering new ways to fight, but that doesn't mean that we're getting new fleet structures
Agree that we aren't going to go out on our own, but my questions is still, which path will we eventually follow?

The way I see it we have a foot in both the USAF camp and the USN camp, and it does appear to me, they aren't always on the same path.

The USN may well retire the Super Hornets earlier than later, and so may we, but if they continue to use the Growler in the EW role for many years to come and at the same time the USAF follows a different EW path, which path do we end up following?

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Growler is going to get EW updates (IOC ~2020) before they start really focusing on the F-35 EW packages.

But still in 10 years at 2030 I would imagine the F-35 would have surpassed Growler.
F-35 is the future, certainly for the US. No one is planning otherwise. Its going to be *the* platform. Everything else will waste away as nothing new will be integrated on ancient platforms not suitable for the tech. It becomes more of a software solution anyway.

Gf said:
they're not being kept. I suspect the last ones to go will be the Growlers, once lessons learnt from ewarfare operating with the E7's, P3's, Gulfs and JSF's are established.
In a serious break down/war situation in the 2030's I would imagine the US would be open to us holding on to them for longer? Or is it part of FMS that they have to go no matter what?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Agree that we aren't going to go out on our own, but my questions is still, which path will we eventually follow?

The way I see it we have a foot in both the USAF camp and the USN camp, and it does appear to me, they aren't always on the same path.

The USN may well retire the Super Hornets earlier than later, and so may we, but if they continue to use the Growler in the EW role for many years to come and at the same time the USAF follows a different EW path, which path do we end up following?
Nope, we're lockstep with the USN - not the USAF

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Growler is going to get EW updates (IOC ~2020) before they start really focusing on the F-35 EW packages.

But still in 10 years at 2030 I would imagine the F-35 would have surpassed Growler.
possibly... but, look at the fitout of a growler and then try and work out where you can do the same thing on the JSF. you can do some of it with conformals or as hangers, but there is a tradeoff. turning JSF into an electronic Godzilla is a little way out yet. Its not just miniaturization issues

edit:

http://www.aspistrategist.org.au/after-the-f-35/

F-35 is the future, certainly for the US. No one is planning otherwise. Its going to be *the* platform. Everything else will waste away as nothing new will be integrated on ancient platforms not suitable for the tech. It becomes more of a software solution anyway.
Future - not near future though. Conformal arrays etc are still yet to go gold

In a serious break down/war situation in the 2030's I would imagine the US would be open to us holding on to them for longer? Or is it part of FMS that they have to go no matter what?

no, we'll just renegotiate.

we're only just discovering what the Growler can do and how it changes the battlespace...so there is a long way to go yet.

I know the sings muck around with their 16's and the israelis with the eagles, but I am really surprised that they haven't jumped in the queue

its a battlespace changer in its own right

Last edited:

SpazSinbad

RAAF Growlers in LockStep with USN Growler Upgrades

Here is a quote from 'former RAAF chief Air Marshal Geoffrey Brown':
Boeing rolls out first Australian Growler
29 Jul 2015 James Drew

“...Australia’s Growlers will carry Raytheon Advanced Targeting Forward Looking Infrared (ATFLR) pods and AIM-9X Sidewinders. He says those capabilities were added as a direct result of the US Growler’s operational experience in Libya as part of Operation Odyssey Dawn.

The air marshal says the Australian jets will also someday carry the US Navy’s Next-Generation Jammer, which is in development to replace the current ALQ-99 Tactical Jamming System. “Our time line will be the same as the US Navy,” says Brown. “As the US Navy upgrades this airplane, we’ll stay lock-step....”

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/boeing-rolls-out-first-australian-growler-415167/

Boagrius

as I said prev - we will stay within the "2 version dancestep" with the USN - NOT the USAF
One wonders if F/A(XX) will arrive/produce a suitable platform in time for the fourth "batch" of airframes in AIR6000... My gut (perhaps unfortunately) says no...

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Attached is a link from the Ottawa Citizen suggesting that time is running out for a Canadian purchase of the Superhornet as Boeing will likely close the line in 2018 if no new orders are received by then. The article brings up the possible SH sale to Kuwait. I thought the the recent Kuwait order for Typhoons ended the need for a SH buy? Even if Kuwait placed an order this year it wouldn't keep the line open long enough for a Canadian purchase as this won't happen until junior's second mandate (post 2020 at the earliest).

Is time running out on a Canadian order of Boeing Super Hornets? | Ottawa Citizen

vonnoobie

While Kuwait did choose the Typhoon they have also stated even after the selection that they would still like to get the SH and if memory serves in about the same numbers.

If Canada want's in on the SH then they either have to speed up there acquisition process or may have to source them from India if the Indian's choose it (meant to be local production).

That all said with the air frame aimed at being retired in the 2030's across all current user's might be pointless for Canada to buy new build ones now, had it been done when Australia purchased her's then it would be a different kettle of fish.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
While Kuwait did choose the Typhoon they have also stated even after the selection that they would still like to get the SH and if memory serves in about the same numbers.

If Canada want's in on the SH then they either have to speed up there acquisition process or may have to source them from India if the Indian's choose it (meant to be local production).

That all said with the air frame aimed at being retired in the 2030's across all current user's might be pointless for Canada to buy new build ones now, had it been done when Australia purchased her's then it would be a different kettle of fish.
I wonder if Boeing wants the frustration of dealing with Indian procurement? It sure hasn't been a happy experience for Dassault! Canada and India being involved in a defence procurement, that would be the epitome of fluster cuck. Hopefully the SH gracefully flies off to retirement and we get on with with the F-35.:)

Vulcan

Split fleets are incredibly common, Euro options are increasingly become more popular in the Middle East. In some areas, there is a strong belief that the GCC are pushing towards a Middle East version of NATO with Saudi Arabia at the head.

Ranger25

Staff member
USN future air wing

Vice Admiral Shoemake has had several talks and discussions about the make up of the carrier Air Wing of the future.
Basically it will be a combined wing of F35s, F18s, Growlers, Hawkeyes, and UCAVs.
The F35s lead the charge with EA and sensing. All info fused via NIFCA The F35s lead, F18s used a "bomb trucks" to provide additional capacity, all run via the new E2-D Advanced Hawkeyes. NIFCA will also fuse surface assets into the battle space sharing everything from Sensor to targeting information.

US Navy Details Future Carrier Air Wing | DoD Buzz

They're are other direct links to his lectures but this one was the easiest

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Future - not near future though. Conformal arrays etc are still yet to go gold
I guess that is the real question. Its highly likely that EW for the F-35 will be somewhat delayed, given they have focused on getting the growler upgrades done. I guess the question is how long. At which point the Growlers continue as the gap filler. Australia certainly doesn't have to worry about gaps.

I know the sings muck around with their 16's and the israelis with the eagles, but I am really surprised that they haven't jumped in the queue

its a battlespace changer in its own right
Well the initial plan was it to have it earlier. So they might have been waiting for the F-35 delivery. With both of those choosing F-15's (and F-16) it puts them on a different plan.

In a round about way the Superhornets worked out pretty well for Australia.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Well the initial plan was it to have it earlier. So they might have been waiting for the F-35 delivery. With both of those choosing F-15's (and F-16) it puts them on a different plan.

In a round about way the Superhornets worked out pretty well for Australia.
the israelis do intend to field their own ewarfare version of JSF, I imagine that they and the US services will walk close to each other as it evolves