F-18 Advanced Hornet

vonnoobie

I don't have any personal opinions on F-35B for Aussie LHDs, mainly because if I assumed to have much knowledge on what the RAN wants to achieve, I'd be guessing.

Suppose it depends on if you need the LHD capability, how much will those 6 or so F-35B offer with respect to the lift capability lost etc, I don't really know.
Based on what I've heard from the navy folk's too much lost so they are not interested. Only reason they kept the Ski-jump was because it would have cost more to get rid of it then to keep it.

Only ones thinking about the F-35B's are the politicians and we all know how well that work's out for the military when they stick there noses into it (Only getting half the number of Destroyer's then originally planned)

Stampede

Based on what I've heard from the navy folk's too much lost so they are not interested. Only reason they kept the Ski-jump was because it would have cost more to get rid of it then to keep it.

Only ones thinking about the F-35B's are the politicians and we all know how well that work's out for the military when they stick there noses into it (Only getting half the number of Destroyer's then originally planned)
I'm fully aware that defence dollars can only go so far.
The well written paper by ASPI comes down against the purchase of the F35b for the ADF for a number of reasons.Probably the most important being that of oppertunity cost. What will be need in up front cash to add this capability or what do we forgo in other areas of defence to gain this aircraft and its unique qualities.
I like a former defence minister don't claim to be an Air Power expert, however over the decades it has impressed me the utility of the old Harrier and how this old slow aircaft has contibuted much to campains from both land and sea.Its not what it cannot do, it's what it can.
It's successor the F35b offers a similar capability with steroids.
I remain unconvinced that it has no benefit to the ADF, be it from land or potentially from sea. I am however open minded to the fact that most with defence knowledge feel its a nice have, but not worth the dollars. As to the PM and some pollies yes it is getting a push.
I guess we will wait for the DWP.

ps - With a small compliment of six Australian Hornets in Operation Okra most would consider this a valued fast jet contribution by the RAAF and committment by the Australian government.
You could fit six F35b on the deck of Canberra and still have lots of utility in the decks below.
I still feel that we are a country that both needs and can afford this F35b option.

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Superhornet - excellent aircraft.
JSF 35A - will be an excellent aircraft.
The difference between the two,well have the debate.
What I will suggest is that both government and the RAAF have got fast air right both for now, transition and for the future.
One big thing to remember is that no matter what else you strap into the F-18 series...

...it's never going to be a Gen 5 fighter.

There is only so much room for growth in the fighter itself. That's a hard limit that can't be avoided (at least not cheaply, and even then, one can only do so much with the basic design)

Future potential is a question that should be included in weighing these options, and the ceiling for the F-18 series is always going to be lower than the F-35s.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Apparently a F-18 SH sale is still a possibility to Kuwait. This is good news for Boeing if it happens and will benefit the USN down the road should it be necessary to procure more SHs. One negative is it allows the new Canadian PM to procrastinate on making a fighter decision since it now appears the F-18 production line will stay open. Mind you a delay gives LM time to sort the the F-35 making it a more attractive choice, even to our idiot PM "junior".

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/ar...affirms-interest-in-f_18e§f-super-hornet.html

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Apparently a F-18 SH sale is still a possibility to Kuwait. This is good news for Boeing if it happens and will benefit the USN down the road should it be necessary to procure more SHs. One negative is it allows the new Canadian PM to procrastinate on making a fighter decision since it now appears the F-18 production line will stay open. Mind you a delay gives LM time to sort the the F-35 making it a more attractive choice, even to our idiot PM "junior".

Kuwait Says Sticks to F-18 Jets Despite Approval Delays (excerpt)
Well it looks like Boeing have missed out on that deal with Kuwait reportedly buying 28 Typhoons because they cannot wait for US government approval for a SH purchase due to them having to upgrade their air force now. The contract is to be signed on Sunday and is worth approximately US$8.7 billion.

swerve

Super Moderator
Well it looks like Boeing have missed out on that deal with Kuwait reportedly buying 28 Typhoons because they cannot wait for US government approval for a SH purchase due to them having to upgrade their air force now. The contract is to be signed on Sunday and is worth approximately US$8.7 billion.
We don't know what the contract is worth. According to your source the contract "could be worth up to €8 billion (US $8.7 billion)", with it being unclear what that's based on. It certainly doesn't say that it is worth any particular amount.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
We don't know what the contract is worth. According to your source the contract "could be worth up to €8 billion (US $8.7 billion)", with it being unclear what that's based on. It certainly doesn't say that it is worth any particular amount.
My apologies. I should have worded it better.

Toblerone

Banned Member
According to defenseindustrydaily they have abandoned the Super Hornets because of the delays and bought Typhoons instead. :p:

Maybe Boeing didn't pay off the right people. The pentagon wheels need some greasing to make things move faster.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
There's a feeling that maybe the entire Tiffy deal is just a pretext to get the Hornet deal approved. I may be wrong however..
US government approval for this sale would allow an extension to SH production without using USN funds. Many in Congress ( and in the USN) want the line to stay open just in case but don't want to fund it. This sale would seem to be an easy way out from a budget point of view.

Toblerone

Banned Member
What is the hold-up with this export? Kuwait is just another oil country, what is the problem, they have exported their best equipment there anyway.

Is it just beaurocracy?

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
What is the hold-up with this export? Kuwait is just another oil country, what is the problem, they have exported their best equipment there anyway.

Is it just beaurocracy?
It seems strange considering this jet was offered to both India and Brazil, how many the the US government want to keep the line open, and the likely intense lobbying effort by Boeing. Maybe there is a secret "no sell list".;)

SpazSinbad

It seems strange considering this jet was offered to both India and Brazil, how many the the US government want to keep the line open, and the likely intense lobbying effort by Boeing. Maybe there is a secret "no sell list".;)
Perhaps this'll help BOING! keep their line open:

Pentagon to Navy: Convert UCLASS Program Into Unmanned Aerial Tanker, Accelerate F-35 Development, Buy More Super Hornets - USNI News
"...The shift from UCLASS to the new Carrier Based Aerial Refueling System (CBARS) will be made alongside an additional buy of Boeing F/A-18 E/F Super Hornets over the next several years and accelerated purchases and development of the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lighting II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF).''