F-16s no threat to IAF: Air Marshal Bhavnani

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
F-16 also has an advantage in "size". the bigger you are the better you are visible to Radar in BVR aswell as WVR. In WVR F-16 will probably get an edge over Su-27/30 in BVR AMRAAMS AIM-120 will play importent role.

adsH

SABRE said:
F-16 also has an advantage in "size". the bigger you are the better you are visible to Radar in BVR aswell as WVR. In WVR F-16 will probably get an edge over Su-27/30 in BVR AMRAAMS AIM-120 will play importent role.
AMRAAMS would give PAF pilots an edge and if PAF goes fro the lastest Upgraded Block 52+ then they may choose to procure Helmet mounted Cueing system. The F-16 does have an edge over a better part of its competitors.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Yeah !

I am begining to think that the 4th/4.5th Gen Jet that PAF is looking for would also end up at F-16 Block 60 & later coming versions. No Rafale or EF-2000. Weapon system is begining to look more importent besides the aircraft it self.
Besides the Pak-KSA pilot has already rejected Rafale.

Ahsan1

Banned Member
Sabre,

So you personally think that Rafale is no good for Pakistan? Lets take the price tag off for a sec.

I personally think that Rafale is almost better than F-16s Block 50, and if you are going to talk about Block 60, well they are only for UAE. Rich Dudes!

My conclusion is if PAF have funds it should really go for Rafale or Grippen otherwise wait for J-10s full scale production, and get J-10 C/D models.
They will be cheap & will be very hard against Flankers with SD-10 and they can be later modified with Amraam missiles.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
Ahsan1 said:
Sabre,

So you personally think that Rafale is no good for Pakistan? Lets take the price tag off for a sec.

I personally think that Rafale is almost better than F-16s Block 50, and if you are going to talk about Block 60, well they are only for UAE. Rich Dudes!

My conclusion is if PAF have funds it should really go for Rafale or Grippen otherwise wait for J-10s full scale production, and get J-10 C/D models.
They will be cheap & will be very hard against Flankers with SD-10 and they can be later modified with Amraam missiles.
Ahsan what do you sujjest what should Pakistan do now go for what???

P.A.F

he has clearly said that PAF should go for rafale, gripen or j-10 and i agree with him. we can't just f-16 f-16 f-16 all the time. its time to move on. fine get a few f-16s as well but comeon u can't just have one main platform. a good airforce needs a line-up of atleast 2-3 main A2A players. in other words f-16 along with any other top noch fighter will do nicely!!!

doggychow14

-16 also has an advantage in "size". the bigger you are the better you are visible to Radar in BVR aswell as WVR. In WVR F-16 will probably get an edge over Su-27/30 in BVR AMRAAMS AIM-120 will play importent role.
Well then u have to take in acount of india's phalcons. R-77s performance is generally similar to aim120. India's SUs also carry one of the best radar systems in the world.

JF17Thunder

Guys!
How about having a block 52+ with the AN/APG-80 radar only, all the other electronics and system remaining the same (ie of block 52+)?? If possible, this may result in a better aircraft for PAF needs (air defence/multirole) than the block 60 which has been developed with more emphasis on strike capabilities hence, supposed to be lesser agile than any other block. Also, this will cost less than a block 60 but ofc more than a 52+. The catch here would be the improvements of APG-80 over APG-68V9. Any one having any idea including the possible cost differential? My understanding is that an order of about 50 block 52+ should cost about $40-45 mil apiece while tha same for block 60 should be arround $ 60-70 mil apiece.

BilalK

The Block-52+ and Block-60 are the same airframe, I think you meant putting AN/APG-80 on Block-52, inorder to keep the F-16's agile ability.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Block dont matter. Many will argue over Block 52+ & 60. Offcourse Block 60 is superior but at the end I believe it all comes down to Radar & weapon system such as AMRAAM AIM-120. Put Block 60's radar on Block 52 u get a competable AC.

JF17Thunder

BilalK said:
The Block-52+ and Block-60 are the same airframe, I think you meant putting AN/APG-80 on Block-52, inorder to keep the F-16's agile ability.
Actually the block 52/52+/60 have the same airframe except that the 52+ and 60 can carry CFT's if required (hence a longer range for strike missions). The 52/52+ have the same engines as well. I meant putting block 60's radar on 52+ (with only the necessary electronics) for the above mentioned reasons and also coz the 52+ and 60 have the same internal electronic countermeasure system (ASPJS), another important sensor in an aircraft. Besides the 52+ has most of the striking abilility of the 60. I think in PAF scenario, the above render going for 60 somewhat unnecessary.

One more thing, there are certian other additional sensors and equipment in block 60 that makes it heavier than the block 52+ and hence lesser agile althoug the engine is also upgraded by 1500 lbs (dry)

Sabre, i agree that good missile makes a difference but you need to back it up with things like a good pilot, agile aircraft carrying capable radars and sensors when going up agianst fighters like SU30MKI. Dont you agree?

But guys my question still remains. What will be the cost differential for replacing the radar how improved the radar is over the APG68V9. Afterall the US is going for a V10 development for its f-16s and not for this AESA APG80 radar. Does that mean that the radar is not significantly superior to V9?

BLACKDRONZER

Banned Member
Snauman said:
December 14, 2004

F-16 fighter aircraft or not, the Pakistani air force cannot match the Indian Air Force, Commander-in-Chief of the Strategic Forces Command Air Marshal Ajit Bhavnani said on Tuesday.

"In conventional warfare capability, we are far ahead of our western neighbours,'' Bhavnani told newspersons in Kolkata when asked if Pakistan's acquisition of F-16s from the US will give its air force an edge over the IAF.

Air Marshal Bhavnani, who was in the city for the launching ceremony of the fast attack craft, 'INS Bitra', at the Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers premises, said 'concerted efforts' are being made to acquire the most modern and the best combat aircraft.

He said the Sukhoi-30 MKIs, now in possession of the IAF, are among the best in the world. Besides, the IAF also has Mirages and Jaguars.

''All these put together, we can't be matched. So, let them get what they want. We are confident that we can take on any one,'' Air Marshal Bhavnani said.

http://us.rediff.com/news/2004/dec/14iaf.htm
:) Hello sir ,
I am new to this community ,but i was watching this community for some time . what you said was absolutely right .Sir ,can you tell me about :1)will india buy russian mig 29 out of the four contenders ,2) will india join "pak-fa" project,3)are we building "icbm".