Eurofighter Typhoon Discussion Thread

2S1

Banned Member
Just some more news on the Saudi order.

Eurofighter has very recently completed a series of 'hot and high' tests at Dhahran and Al Kharj. From all accounts I have heard so far, they went pretty successfully.

Amazingly however, one thing I have heard today is that the grease lubricant the RAF use on their Typhoon's doesn't perform too well at high tempratures. More than signifcant amounts had to be applied to moving-parts across the airframe and then scrubbed off after flight.

Considering the RAF's operating mandate in Iraq and Afghanistan, I find this perplexing.

In the meantime, I hear its likely Oman will also commit to an order with RAFO aiming for 12-to-24 Typhoons circa 2012. BAE may commit to a Jaguar buy-back as part of the deal.

swerve

Super Moderator
In the meantime, I hear its likely Oman will also commit to an order with RAFO aiming for 12-to-24 Typhoons circa 2012. BAE may commit to a Jaguar buy-back as part of the deal.
One wonders what use BAe may find for the Jaguars. Parts breakdown for remaining users?

2S1

Banned Member
One wonders what use BAe may find for the Jaguars. Parts breakdown for remaining users?
BAE Systems is under the direction of the MoD, it will be a G2G deal between Governments. BAE will scramble for best of deals. Hard currency at the moment will not be in their favour.

Thus, the same thing they're doing buying back the Saudi Tornado ADVs?

Low airframe hours, plentiful spares and first access to a long-term maintenance contract.

India still produces the Jaguar right? Ecuador, also a Jag user wants planes??

Mike_NZ

Future Upgrade Program

Hi guys, got some info off the Aug Ed. of Aircraft Illustrated mag on the upgrade program for the eurofighter:

Currently Eurofighter is at Block 5 standard, which is the best Tranche 1 aircraft. They can do all the A2A roles, using the AIM-9L, ASRAAM, AMRAAM, IRIS-T, as well as an "austere" A2G role, using Paveway II, Enhanced paveway II and GBU 10 and 16.

Tranche 2 aircraft will start out at block 8 standard, and these initially will only have A2A capabilities. The "austere" A2G role of the late block 5 aircraft wasn't initially planned but was born out of necessity: the Typhoons had to have this ability to be useful in Afganistan and other theatres.

In 2012 the P1E (Phase 1 Enhancement) will kick in adding A2G, communications upgrades, Paveway IV, EGBU-16, Laser designation pod upgrades and Man-Machine-Interface upgrades to the Tranche 2 aircraft.

P2E will bring about initial Stormshadow standoff missile capabilities as well as JDAM

Block 10 (or EOC-1 meaning Enhanced Operational Capability 1) will upgrade Tranche 2 aircraft to full DASS systems, AMRAAMC-5 and Paveway III

Block 15 (EOC-2) will add Meteor, upgraded capabilities with Stormshadow as well as reconnaissance capabilities for the Tranche 2 aircraft.

Tranche 3???
If these do eventuate, they will really be something to behold. Block 20/25 aircraft could get conformal fuel tanks, CAESAR/AMSAR radar upgrade and possibly the EJ230 eurojet upgrade with increased thrust as well as 3D TVC.

Mike_NZ

A2A loadouts

Got a question about the A2A load outs of the Typhoon.

Q: many sources quote ability to carry 6 MRAAMs and 4 MRAAMs, but is that the max? Can it carry 8 MRAAMs? (ie 4 conformal and 4 underwing) or is there only 2 underwing hardpoints that are 'wired' for MRAAMs?

Scorpion82

Got a question about the A2A load outs of the Typhoon.

Q: many sources quote ability to carry 6 MRAAMs and 4 MRAAMs, but is that the max? Can it carry 8 MRAAMs? (ie 4 conformal and 4 underwing) or is there only 2 underwing hardpoints that are 'wired' for MRAAMs?
I'm not sure if the inner wing hardpoints are actually wired for MRAAMs, but it also depends on the FCS programming. Currently the Typhoon is cleared for a maximum of 6 MRAAMs and 4 SRAAMs, with a total of 8 AAMs (2 SRAAMs & 6 MRAAMs or 4 SRAAMs and 4 MRAAMs). If the need would arise the inner wing points could hold MRAAMs as well and there exists the option to use twin rail launchers. This could theoretically increase the maximum number of AAMs to 12 (up to 6 SRAAMs and up to 8 MRAAMs in the different configurations).

DarkDuke

Why I've never seen Eurofighter to do post-stall maneuver? all performance Eurofighter did in airshow were seemingly mediocre.

Mike_NZ

I'm not sure if the inner wing hardpoints are actually wired for MRAAMs, but it also depends on the FCS programming. Currently the Typhoon is cleared for a maximum of 6 MRAAMs and 4 SRAAMs, with a total of 8 AAMs (2 SRAAMs & 6 MRAAMs or 4 SRAAMs and 4 MRAAMs). If the need would arise the inner wing points could hold MRAAMs as well and there exists the option to use twin rail launchers. This could theoretically increase the maximum number of AAMs to 12 (up to 6 SRAAMs and up to 8 MRAAMs in the different configurations).
Cool, thanks for that. Has there been plans to bring these twin rail launchers into T2? Or is it more of the "possibility" in the T3?

Scorpion82

Cool, thanks for that. Has there been plans to bring these twin rail launchers into T2? Or is it more of the "possibility" in the T3?
Well they could be even adopted for T1 aircraft, but given the fact that there is no need to carry more than 8 AAMs, given the low to non existent AA threat in most current and foreseeable scenarios I think we won't see them at all.

METEORSWARM

photos 1 Efa tranche 2 Saudi

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2397

IRIS-T analog/digital lock-on air

http://rapidshare.de/files/40835709/lock-on__2_IRIS-T.png.html

Rail launchers

http://rapidshare.de/files/40835731/RAIL_LAUNCHERS2.png.html

IRIS-T

[ame="http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=xiTaZt0Vtg0"]YouTube - Dassault Aviation - IRIS-T missiles[/ame]

Riat 2007

[ame="http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=WZiIxkltIWE"]YouTube - RIAT 2007 RAF Fairford F15 F16 Typhoon[/ame]

eurojet 200

http://www.flugrevue.de/index.php?id=2526

MBDA Brinstone

[ame="http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=nN3kAjL9mlw"]YouTube - MBDA BRINSTONE[/ame]

MBDA Taurus kpe 350

[ame="http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=CWaTMntx_xI"]YouTube - MBDA TAURUS KEPD 350[/ame]

MBDA STORM SHADOW /Scalp stealth

[ame="http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=-EB2nWFi0Z4"]YouTube - MBDA STORM SHADOW[/ame]

MBDA METEOR

[ame="http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=yRcvw3ogNt0"]YouTube - MBDA METEOR[/ame]

Last edited:

stigmata

Well they could be even adopted for T1 aircraft, but given the fact that there is no need to carry more than 8 AAMs, given the low to non existent AA threat in most current and foreseeable scenarios I think we won't see them at all.
The primary reason for carrying large numbers of AAM is to shoot down large numbers of cruise missiles

simdude97

Whatever are you talking about? After downloading the paper from not so rapid share I read it to say
PIRATE has the claimed capability of long range (up to 100 km) detection
and

The quantitative figures for various performance parameters are not available in the published literature
So IRST (typhoon)100km is meaningless, unsubstantiated Admin Text deleted. Read the Forum Rules re engagement. There are other ways to get the message across

Last edited by a moderator:

karan583

And? Show me the IR guided weapon that can fly that far, let alone acquire a target at that range...
Why not let one EF send the target information to another EF closer to the target? Rafale demonstrated something similar to this, reported in AW&ST. It doesn't say that an IRST was used to acquire target position, however "the shot was most likely carried out using an imaging-infrared guided Mica IR".

Ares Defense Technology Blog

Sharing information across the battle field is essential and this sounds like just another way to do it.

METEORSWARM

The irst is a passive system does not alert the enemy.
More heat from the reactors of the plane, the plane is detected better.
You do not need radar to fire a missile.
Irst = location, distance, fired missile
Irst 100km = Bvraam missiles
In good weather conditions.

F-15 to 90km and Mig-29 jet nozzles teaching 160km.

Example = IRST(100km) +Meteor (100km +) in 2 years.

Last edited:

Ozzy Blizzard

And? Show me the IR guided weapon that can fly that far, let alone acquire a target at that range...
Actually mate MICA may be able to eek out that much range performance, if the shooter was up hill and flying fast. I know the Russians have deployed R-27 derivatives with IR seekers, including the ER long burn variant with a stated maximum range of 70 odd nautical miles. JDRAAM should have a duel IIR/AESA seeker and a maximum range in excess of the '120D.

In any case i doubt any of those weapons systems will find their way onto a typhoon.

IRST (typhoon) 100km
PIRATE's range vs what? aggregate range numbers mean nothing without knowing target characteristics. Even the AIM-9A/B could lock on to a target several million kilometers away, if it is bright enough. Was the target on burners? What aspect? How big was it? What are the atmospheric conditions? Nice concise range numbers are usually useless in operational circumstances because there are so many variables to consider.

Ozzy Blizzard

The irst is a passive system does not alert the enemy.
More heat from the reactors of the plane, the plane is detected better.
You do not need radar to fire a missile.
Irst = location, distance, fired missile
Irst 100km = Bvraam missiles
In good weather conditions.

F-15 to 90km and Mig-29 jet nozzles teaching 160km.

Example = IRST(100km) +Meteor (100km +) in 2 years.
Actually IRST's dont give range data, thats why they usually have a laser range finder which is not passive (can be detected) and is rather limited in range. A range finder that can be efective at that range vs an aircraft is a currently beyond contemporary capability AFAIK.

By the way the only aircraft that had a reactor that I'm aware of was a Russian attempt at a nuclear powered strategic bomber, and it only flew once AFAIK. Contemporary fighters use Jet engine technology.