Complete U.S Army Manual.

driftder

Re: U.S Army MOUT Manual

Aussie Digger said:
The grenages we used, (M26) had the "pin" and a safety lever holding the grenade in your fist depressed the safety level. You removed the pin and threw said grenade. After letting go of it the safety level assembly flew off the grenade. Provided you threw the grenade from decent cover you shouldn't have any problems with the grenade coming back at you. Holding onto a grenade after the safety lever has come off is a recipe for disaster IMO. No-one knows how long it will take to explode. In the absolute best case scenario you've got about 5 seconds before a grenade explodes. The danger involved in holding onto a live (and armed) grenade is far greater than the chance it will come back at you. We used standard 40mm grenades fired from M79 GL's. We were taught they armed (due to the centrifigual fuse) after flying a minimum of 16 metres. Perhaps it's changed?
ahem....I agree with Digger. Most times the target is quite a ways off so by the time the thrown grenade reaches, the hostile has very little time to react. say a 3-5 second fuse, from time of arming the grenade and throwing it to the target might take 1-3 seconds. then the grenade tumbling and rolling around, so if the hostile manages to pick up and try to throw it back - with heavy panting, fast heartbeat and sweaty buttery fingers....not high chances of success and living out the next few moments, eh?

"Cooking the grenade" used to be popular in urban fighting or close quarters. for eg when breaking and entering a enemy held room but its not safe and nowadays seldom use. Dont know about other forces but what we are drilled in is to throw the grenade hard in and make it bounce around. a bouncing grenade makes it hard to pick up unless it lands right on his lap or body. even so, there will still be fumbles. having a practise grenade land on or near you is bad enough, real live armed grenades are worst. and if its a thermobaric......good luck.

Maverickjag

driftder said:
ahem....I agree with Digger. Most times the target is quite a ways off so by the time the thrown grenade reaches, the hostile has very little time to react. say a 3-5 second fuse, from time of arming the grenade and throwing it to the target might take 1-3 seconds. then the grenade tumbling and rolling around, so if the hostile manages to pick up and try to throw it back - with heavy panting, fast heartbeat and sweaty buttery fingers....not high chances of success and living out the next few moments, eh?

"Cooking the grenade" used to be popular in urban fighting or close quarters. for eg when breaking and entering a enemy held room but its not safe and nowadays seldom use. Dont know about other forces but what we are drilled in is to throw the grenade hard in and make it bounce around. a bouncing grenade makes it hard to pick up unless it lands right on his lap or body. even so, there will still be fumbles. having a practise grenade land on or near you is bad enough, real live armed grenades are worst. and if its a thermobaric......good luck.
I see what you mean but at the same time, if a grenade is constructed correctly with a 5 s fuse then you should be able to cook it for 2 s without it blowing up in your face. If the grenade has a 5 s fuse than cooking it is less risky than throwing it right away. I understand that it should bounce around after being thrown and it would be hard to pick up, but if it is bouncing around, then the target could get out of the room before it detonated and then you would be shot trying to enter because you would think he was dead when he was waiting for you to come through.

This can be debated forever and when it comes down to it, it's basically a matter of personal preference. I wouldn't cook a grenade every time, I would decide depending on the situation. If I thought I needed to cook it then I would but if I didn't feel like it would help me at all, then I wouldn't because you're right, it is a risk. But I guess at the same time, just being in a battle, is a risk, but we shouldn't take risks that don't have to be taken.

driftder

Maverickjag said:
I see what you mean but at the same time, if a grenade is constructed correctly with a 5 s fuse then you should be able to cook it for 2 s without it blowing up in your face. If the grenade has a 5 s fuse than cooking it is less risky than throwing it right away. I understand that it should bounce around after being thrown and it would be hard to pick up, but if it is bouncing around, then the target could get out of the room before it detonated and then you would be shot trying to enter because you would think he was dead when he was waiting for you to come through.
precisely, the idea is if he stays and get grenaded he's dead meat. on the other hand, if he runs off, we get a clear room and might have cornered him. esp if he runs off into another team standing by. still it all boils down to training & doctrine.

Maverickjag said:
This can be debated forever and when it comes down to it, it's basically a matter of personal preference. I wouldn't cook a grenade every time, I would decide depending on the situation.
well yes, can be quite a debate. like long range fire against CQB in urban fighting or what we call FIBUA, yanks call MOUT. best is if a nice friendly tank around to help make your own entrances. or a satchel charge from top down

Maverickjag said:
But I guess at the same time, just being in a battle, is a risk, but we shouldn't take risks that don't have to be taken.
eh? think u lost me there, old chap. if we shouldn't take risks that don't have to be taken, then less cooking of the old pineapple pls ;)

Maverickjag

driftder said:
eh? think u lost me there, old chap. if we shouldn't take risks that don't have to be taken, then less cooking of the old pineapple pls ;)
Exactly what I meant. I don't think that we need to cook them usually, so why do it?

As far as the guy running off into another team, I was looking at it as if there was no other team nearby or that the guy would turn around and fire at you after the nade blew. Just depends on the the situation, under the situation you outlined, the better choice would be to just throw the thing and the guy wouldn't last long anyway.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I also have the U.S. Army Rangers handbook in pdf format. If anyone want to read it just send me a pm and I'll email it to ya.

driftder

Jim Goose said:
this is helpful to an infantry newb like me :) thanks
might get a yellow card for this but too tempting to ignore :D but here goes...if you join the army, you get free access to the manuals you want. fact is some are compulsory and forced down your throat. speaking from personal experience, the ones that stick to mind are the AT course and urban ops (we call them FIBUA). and the assignment you wanna avoid is the innocent sounding IR - infantry regiment. cos they alway forget to add HA - heavy assault in front. definitely not the situation you want to be stuck in - a HAIR-y assignment :lol3

now, no kicking pls...

nuts

Response to a post from 2004 by Aussie Digger

I'm an ex-3RAR paratroop digger, and had some time with our 2 Commando. The cadre staff were SAS and I do remember being taught to "cook off" grenades prior to throwing them for FIBUA/CQB operations. I don't know about hanging on to them for a solid two seconds. Pull the pin, release the spoon and throw, all rapidly. It just gives a second longer. I don't think I'd like to hang on to a grenade any longer. I guess you'd wanna be dropping through a window after two seconds rather than throwing it. Might be a good air burst though....LOL.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nuts said:

I'm an ex-3RAR paratroop digger, and had some time with our 2 Commando. The cadre staff were SAS and I do remember being taught to "cook off" grenades prior to throwing them for FIBUA/CQB operations. I don't know about hanging on to them for a solid two seconds. Pull the pin, release the spoon and throw, all rapidly. It just gives a second longer. I don't think I'd like to hang on to a grenade any longer. I guess you'd wanna be dropping through a window after two seconds rather than throwing it. Might be a good air burst though....LOL.
Normally grenade has a 5 second fuse, so it's not as dangerous as many thinks to cock em for a second or two. Of course you should only do this when you are clearing rooms during MOUT.

driftder

nuts said:

It can also be roll or bowl through, especially down stairwells or staircase. You diggers have a name for it :).