Colombia BRT-80?

ROCK45

I saw this clip on a YouTube and wanted asked can Colombia produce BTR-80s?
I didn't know that Russia gave Colombia producing rights for this vehicle. Is this real?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIYLdI_s10k"]YouTube - Colombia producing BTR-80[/ame]

ROCK45

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Russian gear

Are there other countries that produce Russian mechanized vehicles as well? I just didn't know kind of took me by surprise to hear about Russian weapons being produced in Colombia. I wonder what anti-tank weapon they fielded and could it take out a AMX-30 main battle tank Venezuela has? Besides the Flankers Venezuela's two main items it holds over Colombia is tanks and artillery.
I assume a American supplied TOW-II could be mounted on a BTR-80 if need be?

I remember what you said about the side door I can see from the clip if those troops had back packs on and/or carrying gear if might not have been such a easy exit.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Colombian variant was refitted with the 50 cal instead of the standard HMG.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Are there other countries that produce Russian mechanized vehicles as well? I just didn't know kind of took me by surprise to hear about Russian weapons being produced in Colombia. I wonder what anti-tank weapon they fielded and could it take out a AMX-30 main battle tank Venezuela has? Besides the Flankers Venezuela's two main items it holds over Colombia is tanks and artillery.
I assume a American supplied TOW-II could be mounted on a BTR-80 if need be?

I remember what you said about the side door I can see from the clip if those troops had back packs on and/or carrying gear if might not have been such a easy exit.
Yes - as Kato mentioned they are mostly former East Bloc countries, you could also add Iran and North Korea also. You can place any type of ATGM that suites your needs, Tow 2 Bs would not have any problems with a French AMX 30 B. Look for Venezuela to make a announcement real soon that it is choosing T-90S and BMP3 IFVs from Russia. Also Spain just sold off their remaining Scorpian and Scimitars to Chile just recently, this entire region will be purchasing some major weapons systems, so sit back and watch the show.;)

Last edited:

ROCK45

Spain

Also Spain just sold off their remaining Scorpian and Scimitars to Peru just recently,
I Google this but didn't find anything how many vehicles in total?

Colombia won't be able to keep up with Venezuela at this rate if they pick up T-90 and BMP-3. I wonder what responds Chavez would get if he purchase arms for Ecuador or directly funded weapons deliveries?

If Peru bought these vehicles from Spain does this main Peru's may shift over to western types? There Russian made BMT-60/T-55 must be old and in need of replacement. I wonder what western types might fit there budget I guess there biggest need would be offset Chile's Leo's I & II's to the south and to the north what ever Ecuador's has.

Venezuela I wonder what's next?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I Google this but didn't find anything how many vehicles in total?

Colombia won't be able to keep up with Venezuela at this rate if they pick up T-90 and BMP-3. I wonder what responds Chavez would get if he purchase arms for Ecuador or directly funded weapons deliveries?

If Peru bought these vehicles from Spain does this main Peru's may shift over to western types? There Russian made BMT-60/T-55 must be old and in need of replacement. I wonder what western types might fit there budget I guess there biggest need would be offset Chile's Leo's I & II's to the south and to the north what ever Ecuador's has.

Venezuela I wonder what's next?
Sorry Buddy, I gave out some bad info inregards to Spain, they actually sold these vehicles to Chile, total amount of vehicles sold was 17. Columbia really doesn`t need to keep up with Venezuela, they have us.:)

ROCK45

South America

No problem thanks for setting me straight with the correct info. Chile has some collection of weapons and equipment. Peru would be smart not mess with them in anyway shape or form.

I have a friend who lives in Colombia who sends me links to news and Russia just delivered another 2 Flankers. He's concern for his country there seems to be no stopping Chavez's buying.

eckherl - Let me ask you I have some helicopter questions which section do I post them? Would those go in the Land Forces/ Army/ or Military Aviation Air Forces section? Most of our helicopter are assigned to the Army and Marines. I wanted to know why the US Army went with the EC-145/UH-70A over the Huey-II, I think the Huey II cost less. The UH-70A carries 9 troops and I think the Huey II carries 10, why take on a new type? Do you know?

Did you guys train a lot with attack helicopters and close air?

Thanks

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
No problem thanks for setting me straight with the correct info. Chile has some collection of weapons and equipment. Peru would be smart not mess with them in anyway shape or form.

I have a friend who lives in Colombia who sends me links to news and Russia just delivered another 2 Flankers. He's concern for his country there seems to be no stopping Chavez's buying.

eckherl - Let me ask you I have some helicopter questions which section do I post them? Would those go in the Land Forces/ Army/ or Military Aviation Air Forces section? Most of our helicopter are assigned to the Army and Marines. I wanted to know why the US Army went with the EC-145/UH-70A over the Huey-II, I think the Huey II cost less. The UH-70A carries 9 troops and I think the Huey II carries 10, why take on a new type? Do you know?

Did you guys train a lot with attack helicopters and close air?

Thanks
I would post it in the Aviation section.

I really do not know why we decided not to opt for the Huey II, as far as training with attack helicopters yes, I have trained with Cobras and Apaches. The kicker is that anytime you saw the Kiowa`s you knew that you were in trouble and better get in to either a tree line or low lying terrian real quick and start scanning the horizon. About the time you seen low flying fast movers with the likes of a A-10, you were pretty much toast. Those A-10 pilots are crazy and I have actually seen them fly so low that the tree tops would actually move when they flew by looking and laughing at us.:D

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes - as Kato mentioned they are mostly former East Bloc countries, you could also add Iran and North Korea also. You can place any type of ATGM that suites your needs, Tow 2 Bs would not have any problems with a French AMX 30 B. Look for Venezuela to make a announcement real soon that it is choosing T-90S and BMP3 IFVs from Russia. Also Spain just sold off their remaining Scorpian and Scimitars to Chile just recently, this entire region will be purchasing some major weapons systems, so sit back and watch the show.;)
I recall rumors about a BMP-3 deal with Venezuela, though they've yet to materialize into anything. Keep in mind the Tor M1 deal that looked like a guaranteed done deal has yet to go through, and negotiations in regards to the submarine deal are still in progress. Then there is the rumored Su-35 deal (when I originally read about it, it seemed laughable, but this was before the Su-35BM test flight). So I really don't know if they will be able to buy much more. As is, they're already going overboard.

ROCK45

Arms deals

I wonder if Chavez realizes how much time is needed to train up his personnel for all these weapons he's buying? Do you think he's controlling his military buy buying shinny new toys so they stay happy with him?

Feanor, I agree he does seem to be going overboard

If Colombia could mount a mixture of weapon on there homemade BTR-80, like anti-tank weapons, 30mm auto cannon, maybe a 90/105mm cannon, they could turn this into a IFV as well. Thought it was cool that they could produce a platform like the BTR-80, I realized it's not cutting edge tech in armor vehicles but for Colombia industry it's good thing.

Last edited:

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I recall rumors about a BMP-3 deal with Venezuela, though they've yet to materialize into anything. Keep in mind the Tor M1 deal that looked like a guaranteed done deal has yet to go through, and negotiations in regards to the submarine deal are still in progress. Then there is the rumored Su-35 deal (when I originally read about it, it seemed laughable, but this was before the Su-35BM test flight). So I really don't know if they will be able to buy much more. As is, they're already going overboard.
Yes - Hugo seems interested in alot of the newer adavanced weapons systems being produced by Russia, what is announced versus actually having a written obligation for purchase is totally different. If he does commit to the BMP3 and T-90S purchase we can rest assured that everyone will know of it, he seems to have the liking to rub things in his neighbors faces. I wonder if Russia is recieving some pressure inregards to the possible Tor M1 package deal.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Colombia could mount a mixture of weapon on there homemade BTR-80, like anti-tank weapons, 30mm auto cannon, maybe a 90/105mm cannon, they could turn this into a IFV as well. Thought it was cool that they could produce a platform like the BTR-80, I realized it's not cutting edge tech in armor vehicles but for Colombia industry it's good thing.
You mean like the BTR-90 which carries the firing module from the BMP-3 and BMD-4? 100mm main gun with 30mm coaxial and ATGM capacity through 100mm barrel. Plus of course upgraded armor, a 510hp engine, and many other goodies.

Yes - Hugo seems interested in alot of the newer adavanced weapons systems being produced by Russia, what is announced versus actually having a written obligation for purchase is totally different. If he does commit to the BMP3 and T-90S purchase we can rest assured that everyone will know of it, he seems to have the liking to rub things in his neighbors faces. I wonder if Russia is recieving some pressure inregards to the possible Tor M1 package deal.
I doubt it. Russia had no problem selling the same systems to Iran. Not to mention that it doesn't really matter much. They're tac-SAMs with limited radius. Unless they're a part of a powerful and modern AD network they have no chance. Never mind that the negotiations are being done over a grand total of 3 (yes three! :rolleyes:) batteries. Essentially next to nothing given the size of Venezuela and the size of their military.

felixdrake

I may be way off base, but from what I have seen, even the most avid spenders of military cash amongst small countries are utterly dwarfed by the arsenals of US (ongoing spending) and Russia (stockpiled weapons). It feels like I've just heard an announcement that Canada is buying a couple of used submarines or such, and if anything major happened, if it were (publicly or off the record) supported by the US or Russia, the weapons would be there. If the actions were opposed (again publicly or off the record), enough weapons would find their way in the defending country's hands to render the benefit small to nonexistent.
Is my perception of this WAY off base?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Russia has just enxtended a 1 billion dollar credit line to Venezuela for the purpose of weapon purchases. I'm very skeptical that Venezuela needs credit to buy weapons........ it doesn't make sense.

felixdrake

Russia has just enxtended a 1 billion dollar credit line to Venezuela for the purpose of weapon purchases. I'm very skeptical that Venezuela needs credit to buy weapons........ it doesn't make sense.
Think of it as a 1 billion dollar credit line to Venezuela for everything ELSE if they buy their weapons from Russia.

This is how WE often spend our limited use credit cards, put everything applicable on them so you have more other money to use for other things, and countries do the same. It means Venezuela spends more money it doesn't have on weapons, buys from Russia, and has more money it DOES have left over for things like infrastructure.

ROCK45

Loan

felixdrake you make a good point I also look at it as an insurance that Russia will deliver the arms in a timely manor. Venezuela could hold back loan payments if Russia is late or delivers bad goods. Its a way of showing both sides are committed and a built in safety net for each.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unlikely. I recall Venezuelan plans to spend around 30 billion on arms over the next decade. A 1 billion credit line makes little sense.

ROCK45

30 billion on arms over the next decade

$30 billion on arms over the next decade sounds like a lot of Chavez talk. That works out to be (1) Su-35 for every sixteen people in his country. (joking) Talk like that is made to impress remember he's the type who likes to hear himself speak. So far the first what $4 plus billion dollar order hasn't been filled yet lets see what happens.

Oil and natural gas wise yes he could spend that much but would he? Is it worth it? Does he need to? Would Russia get all $30 billion?