Choices of MBT for Malaysia

Pendekar

If current economic growth continues, Malaysia might make a follow up order of additional Tank, probably of other type then PT-90. Malaysian Armed forces are planning to have a full armored brigade by 2010.

Paxter

got to keep them highways open :D come to think of it was this all pre plan perhaps? to have a 6 lane highway from every major city to the boarders? of both sides... and dunno if this is true but do u realise most of the TD bases are quite close to this highways...

Paxter

ashoaib said:
Where you heard that the deal is closed???
If it is closed than why saudi defence minister who visited Pakistan last month talk about Al-Khalid and the experts with him take a trial??
This means there are still hopes for a deal.
i ment malaysia the deal for the mbt is already close

Pendekar

I don't think Malaysian army would gladly put all eggs on one basket. The highway, while a conveniant mean of transporting troops and supply, will definitely be a prime targets for enemy looking to disrupt communication lines. many of Malaysian army vehicles was design to be use on rough unpave roads (and soft ground). There's plenty of that kind of roads around and the enemy won't be able to watch all of them. besides, the trees canopy would provide cover from aerial or satellite recon.

driftder

Merkava for Malaysia? lol ......not from where I seeing it, not likely to happen. As likely to happen as Israel selling Merkava's to Syria. :smokingc:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
driftder said:
Merkava for Malaysia? lol ......not from where I seeing it, not likely to happen. As likely to happen as Israel selling Merkava's to Syria. :smokingc:
True, Malaysia has a specific requirement excluding the purchase of any military gear from Israel.

although someone from Thales once told me they have used licensed Israeli kit for aircraft combat systems - so they might have ended up with Israeli gear "Made in France" ;)

But the Merkava is a non starter.

driftder

gf0012-aust said:
although someone from Thales once told me they have used licensed Israeli kit for aircraft combat systems - so they might have ended up with Israeli gear "Made in France" ;)
Now thats rich - have any kind soul informed their rank and file of this, that they are using Israeli kit in their equipment? I would love to see the looks of consternation and howls of denial. Incidentally, I understand that export equipment sold in such manner are not as top line in comparison to what they sell to their allies.

gf0012-aust said:
But the Merkava is a non starter.
Non-starter for them but hopefully the beginning of a wise purchase for our side. I am rather partial to the Merkava, especially the ability to transport a squad of troopers into harm's way and the ability to back them up with the authority of 120mm ammo :D:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
driftder said:
Non-starter for them but hopefully the beginning of a wise purchase for our side. I am rather partial to the Merkava, especially the ability to transport a squad of troopers into harm's way and the ability to back them up with the authority of 120mm ammo :D:
I've got a great deqal of respect for the Merkava, esp the IV, It's definitely in the top 3-4 MBT's IMHO

They certainly know how to design their weapons systems.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
Malaysia possibly have purchased some equipments from israel but usually it happen in an indirect method. in some parts the israeli made equipment is the best available.

driftder

That's a big roger on that - I have used some Israeli kit and it's quite a confidence booster to know that Its battle proven and therefore reliable.

I especially like the fact that we got good stuff from them to stop those opposing forces that the Israelites are also facing, especially against Russian tanks. The Spike is a good deal from what I heard from my army buddies.

But lets back to topic - the Malaysians have decided on a heavy MBT from Poland, a big monster with a 125mm gun and according to the info here, mounted with reactive armour. Thats worrying as we might be facing the business end of it one day and we don't even have any equivalent to face up to it.

Here's hoping that we get the AT version of our Bionix IFV up and running, together with some purchases for Merkava's. Shalom..

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
But lets back to topic - the Malaysians have decided on a heavy MBT from Poland, a big monster with a 125mm gun and according to the info here, mounted with reactive armour. Thats worrying as we might be facing the business end of it one day and we don't even have any equivalent to face up to it.
RSAF capability is more then make up to face this monster. actually i'm quite worried that if the impossible might happen, RSAF might chew our heavy forces and supporting artillery in the ground long before they were commited into battle.

driftder

Awang se said:
RSAF capability is more then make up to face this monster. actually i'm quite worried that if the impossible might happen, RSAF might chew our heavy forces and supporting artillery in the ground long before they were commited into battle.
Thats rubbish. The best tank killer is another tank, not air power. Look at the history of current warfare after WW2 and find which conflict had air power stopping armour cold. Reference the Vietnam War and air power knocking out amour in jungle environment and you will spot the difficulties immediately.

As for the "chewing" into the ground part, unless your side have a tendency to parade your armour and equipment in open ground, then yes. But if you are trying to knock out camouflaged and defended moving targets from a fast moving jet thats ducking hostile fire, not that easy so don't mislead.

As a footer, who's look at the other end of charging armour and trained to take them on, I rather have some heavy metal of my own and on call, backing me up in facing off the enemy then with just a stove pipe and some fly jock up in the air trying to spot which of the squares to hit.

adsH

driftder said:
That's a big roger on that - I have used some Israeli kit and it's quite a confidence booster to know that Its battle proven and therefore reliable.

I especially like the fact that we got good stuff from them to stop those opposing forces that the Israelites are also facing , especially against Russian tanks. The Spike is a good deal from what I heard from my army buddies.
This isn't a place where you can went your anger towards the Muslims, by cleverly sneaking inn Stabs at them, Malaysia may be your enemy but Israel has nothing against them, What Israel faces is internal rebellion from an internal population of particular source, what you face is your arrogance. i don't care if you come a cattle grazing farm or the Singapore Army, you don't have the rite to discriminate anyone. if you wish to discriminate doit in a forum where they would tolerate it. YOu don't deserve an ounce of respect.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
I don't think he (driftder) deliberately "Vent his anger" towards Malaysia, or muslims for that matters. It's quite common that each country will cast some level of aggresivenes towards it's neighbours no matter how peaceful they are. We Malaysians also take some aggresive measures of our own against our neighbours, though not in the obvious and direct manner as singapore does. political situation tend to change in a very unexpected way and we must be ready for it. besides, SEA are subject to various maritime border disputes and i believe no ones want to backing out empty handed. So let's keep open minded here okay and unless the posters clearly insults the muslims, please look thing in positive side.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
So let's keep open minded here okay and unless the posters clearly insults the muslims, please look thing in positive side.
I must say I'm inclined to agree. Especially when you look at some of the tone and thrust of responses that regularly surface in "Flash Points" and "Social Discussions". One of the topics relating to Nuke Weapons springs to mind. ;)

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Lets get back to the topic folks! If you want to take sneaky jabs at Israelis or Muslims, go to Flash point or political discussions forum.

driftder

adsH said:
driftder said:

I especially like the fact that we got good stuff from them to stop those opposing forces that the Israelites are also facing , especially against Russian tanks. The Spike is a good deal from what I heard from my army buddies.
This isn't a place where you can went your anger towards the Muslims, by cleverly sneaking inn Stabs at them, Malaysia may be your enemy but Israel has nothing against them, What Israel faces is internal rebellion from an internal population of particular source, what you face is your arrogance. i don't care if you come a cattle grazing farm or the Singapore Army, you don't have the rite to discriminate anyone. if you wish to discriminate doit in a forum where they would tolerate it. YOu don't deserve an ounce of respect.
Do take note that NOWHERE in my post did I make any inflammatory statement or personal attack on anyone here.

As for my statement on "I especially like the fact that we got good stuff from them to stop those opposing forces that the Israelites are also facing, especially against Russian tanks." the them refer to the Israeliites, yes and the those opposing forces refer to the type of opposing force equipment they face i.e. Russian as highlighted in the last part of my statement Russian tanks.

At no time or part of my post was there any references, slurs or insult to Muslim or Islam, as I do not have the inclination to engage in such bigotry. If there is, please point it out.

With regards to the personal attack on me vis-a-vis the cattle grazing farm by adsH, allow me to educate and enlighten you that as Singapore is land-scarce and has no resources to speak of, cattle grazing is not an option for us but for those who has the abundance of land and resources to waste, its worth investing in provided there's proper management. .

Coming to Awang se's post on Singapore's aggression here and elsewhere in this forum, all I have to say to the forum is to conduct your own research on the water dispute between Malaysia and Singapore as well as claims over Pedra Branca and the Horsburg Lighthouse as well as other issues. Any further discussion is moot as this is not the place to do so and as Singapore have taken measures to reduce our vulnerability to such threats.

Once again, we really do not conduct cattle grazing activities of any sort or train gung-ho cowboys - we just do not have the resources, water nor land to waste.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
:cop

Now that we've established this, no more comments needed and we can all get back to the subject at hand.

Pendekar

malaysian tank forces still lack it's AD umbrella. all they have so far is a shoulder launch missile(starburst, IGLA, Anza) or towed version (jernas). what it really need is a mobile SP SAM system that can keep up with speed of high mobility forces. Prefereble a system like BUK-M1 or Improved Hawk or Hawk AMRAAM.

Malaysian ADNAN AIFV also lack the punch to engage a tank or maybe another AIFV thus making it less capable to work hand on hand with the tank force.

limkopi

[Mod edit, Red aRRow: That topic is over and the misunderstanding resolved. Editing out the irrelevant part of your post.]

The lack of mobile air protection for the Kor Armour Diraja may no longer be an issue. As you all know recently Malaysia purchased the KS-1A SAM from China under the NMP, (http://www.spacewar.com/2004/040720115308.mjyqr50c.html) which can be mounted on the back of a flatbed truck.

On aother, the Singapore Army (or more accurately the RSAF) has had SP air defence vehicles since way back to the 1980s in the form of the RBS-70 mounted on the V-200. Rumour has it that they are being replaced by the M113 with the ST Engg SA-18 Igla turret, now in serivce with 3 SADA.

As for the Adnan, it maybe possible to combine the gun/missile versions ala M2 Bradley. The ACV300 has a lot of development potential despite the age of the original M113 design. Added to the fact that the Adnan is assembled locally, it shouldn't be too difficult for the chaps at DEFTECH to intergrate the Bhatar Shikan ATGM to the 25mm Sharpshooter turret. With some rewiring and upgrades to the FCS, this can be accomplished.

But I don't think that would be neccessary in the near future. For one, bar Thailand and possibly Singapore, Malaysia doesn't face the kind of armoured threat that would justify such an upgrade. Furthermore, on a SE Asia battlefield, it is rare that maximum visiblility exceeds more than 2000-3000m. Since of course the ATGM is a direct-fire weapon, it needs a decently clear LOS to the target, which mostly does not exist in jungle terrain.