Choices of MBT for Malaysia

aaaditya

russia offered the south koreans joint development of t-84 black eagle.(i heard it on some forum dont know how true it is)

Revenant

aaaditya said:
russia offered the south koreans joint development of t-84 black eagle.(i heard it on some forum dont know how true it is)
Not exactly, T-84(also T-84U) is a Ukrainian tank based on T-80UD design, it was offered for Malaysia. So called Black Eagle (Object 640) is a pure Russian design (no cooperation with anybody) developed by UKBTM from Omsk. During the contest for a new MBT for Malaysia, Russian offered T-90S and it wasn't chosen mainly because of some political issues (Malaysia is a muslim country, with a big society of Chechen refugees).

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
T-84 is not black eagle. T-84 is more like T-80 with bustle ammo storage. Black Eagle is a totally new design and not based on any existing russian platforms available.

Revenant

highsea said:
There was a mockup with a lengthened hull and 7 roadwheels, but I think it actually only has 6.
This 'mockup' as you've called it, is a real prototype. There are photos in internet of 7-wheeled vehicle during its presentation in Omsk. The idea of building 2 prototypes on 2 different hulls is to show that Black Eagle can be a completely new MBT (7-wheeled chasis) and also its turret can be used in potential future modernization of T-80U MBTs. In this second variant it is sometimes called as T-80UM2. Sometimes Black Eagle is described as T-2000. But the only 2 certain names of that tank is Black Eagle and Object 640.

Salman78

upgrade Al-Khalid a bit if required by the malays and sell it to them. for all the brotherhood and unity talk they do, they should also step forward and set an example :D

oskarm

Hi Revenant! Nice to see you here :)

Revenant said:
Few words about Erawa-2 abilities. In May of 2000, there were presentations of Dynamit Nobel Panzerfaust 3 anti-tank grenade launchers for Polish Army as a part of marketing campaign. There were firing tests of Panzerfaust 3 armed with 3T and improved 3-T600 tandem HEAT warheads (Dynamit Nobel claims that 3T is capable of piercing 900mm RHA behind ERA and 3-T600 over 1000mm RHA behind ERA at the hitting angle of 90 degrees). On Polish testing ground 3T was fired upon armoured steel plates of 550mm RHA screened with Erawa-2 at the hitting angle of 30 degrees and 3T-600 was fired at the similar target at hitting angle of 15 degrees. In both situations German warheads pierced through Erawa-2 but then were capable of penetrating only about 400mm of RHA. Germans were surprised by the protecting level gave by Erawa-2.
What is the source of this information? It looks very impresive.

P.S. On tuesday I am taking my last exam, so I will try to write something more about Polish FCS.

Revenant

oskarm said:
Hi Revenant! Nice to see you here :)

What is the source of this information? It looks very impresive.
Source: Nowa Technika Wojskowa Nr 6/2000, Andrzej Kinski "Panzerfaust 3 na polskim poligonie"

Best regards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
:coffee I think after some changes in the design and the weaponary in Al-Khalid tank it could be a cheap tank as far as the tanks of the other countries are compated in prices and Malaysia is an islamic brotherhood country for Pakistan:coffee