Chinese Air Force (PLA-AF) News and Discussion

Sandhi Yudha

Just came across this.
Its just incredible how fast china's defence industry developes, specially with their aircraftcarriers and the planned aircraft on board.

|"In fact, about 12 years ago, a series of clever cyberespionage maneuvers orchestrated by China took place in the United States, which managed to steal several Teras of confidential information from American weapons systems, including blueprints and other relevant data from the F-22 and F-35. And so, the J-31 design evolved, benefiting from this information."|

Top level spionage, the of democracy and an almost unlimited budget give amazing results, results were other countries like France, India and the UK can only dream of.

TayJG

Its just incredible how fast china's defence industry developes, specially with their aircraftcarriers and the planned aircraft on board.

|"In fact, about 12 years ago, a series of clever cyberespionage maneuvers orchestrated by China took place in the United States, which managed to steal several Teras of confidential information from American weapons systems, including blueprints and other relevant data from the F-22 and F-35. And so, the J-31 design evolved, benefiting from this information."|

Top level spionage, the of democracy and an almost unlimited budget give amazing results, results were other countries like France, India and the UK can only dream of.
I'm not too impressed by J-35. It's fine, but Korea & Indonesia have come out with a similar design. Even Turkey came out with a 6th gen prototype that has the shape of a J-20. It's definitely a good thing for China to develop J-35, but it has been 8 years thus far, so not too amazing progress.

What's really surprised me about China is the naval development. Look up how many 055's, 052D's, 054A's and new corvettes they built in the last 10 years. That shit is insane.

I read that China opened up a 4th production line for J-20, that too is impressive. The drawback is that it still is using upgraded Flanker engines, so that's not good.

I would find it strange if the PLAAF has no interest in F-35. I wonder what their plans are for producing more fighters.

TayJG

News to me:

"The past few months have turned out to be more than fruitful for the aircraft industry of the PRC. The Celestial Empire has begun flight tests of the fifth-generation, first-ever two-seat fighter based on the J-20 stealth aircraft. This aircraft is increasingly seen as a platform for UAV control, which will be the responsibility of the weapons operator."

Last edited:

TayJG

Interestingly, the article posits that the J-35 sacrifices pilot visibility in the rear, perhaps to put some more fuel behind the pilot.

"The new version features a completely redesigned canopy and cockpit layout. The pilot cannot visually see what is happening behind as the upper part of the fuselage “merges” with the rear part of the canopy."

"Perhaps the Chinese decided to make the most of the interior space so that the plane could carry as much fuel as possible. "

"Recently, the Chinese showed a slide showing a clash between the American and Chinese carrier strike groups. The emphasis was placed not on manned aircraft but on the use of Hongdu GJ-11 UAVs, which they want to launch from the Type 075 and upcoming Type 076 ships and which can carry large precision bombs and missiles. The fifth-generation carrier-based fighters are also present in the image, and they fly behind the UAV and provide cover."

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

|"The document also outlined possible mission flight profiles of the WZ-8, suggesting that it could perform reconnaissance missions over South Korea and Taiwan with a daylight sensor suite including a synthetic aperture radar and electro-optical sensor while flying at Mach 3 at an altitude of 100,000 feet."|

The drone cannot take off under its own power, instead it is air-launched from a Xi'an H-6M mothership once the H-6 reaches a prescribed speed and altitude. But still its quite an impressive UAV.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
It appears the J-20 might be getting repowered. The Long awaited WS-15 engine is now in final testing and two have been fitted into a J-20. Previously sightings only had a single WS-15 installed so having two indicates confidence. Endurance and actual performance will be unknown for sometime yet.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It appears the J-20 might be getting repowered. The Long awaited WS-15 engine is now in final testing and two have been fitted into a J-20. Previously sightings only had a single WS-15 installed so having two indicates confidence. Endurance and actual performance will be unknown for sometime yet.

I wonder how far off the Chinese are from solving their metallurgy problems. That's what's holding them back because they can't steal that info. I think given time, they will produce better engines than the current best Russian ones.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

This Chinese media claim that 2023 Fighter production already exceed the target. As this is Mainland media, don"t expect they will come out with detail and verified numbers.

Still I put this as shown China clearly increase their production tempo. We already see that in Naval outputs, and now strong indication they are also doing it on Airplanes for all PLA branches.

Sandhi Yudha

This Chinese media claim that 2023 Fighter production already exceed the target. As this is Mainland media, don"t expect they will come out with detail and verified numbers.

Still I put this as shown China clearly increase their production tempo. We already see that in Naval outputs, and now strong indication they are also doing it on Airplanes for all PLA branches.
We also shouldn't expect that the production rate will be lowered soon. What china can do, other countries can only dream of.

And here a new stage in the development of the Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC) AG600M Kunlong amphibious aircraft .

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Chinese Media shown China first fully indigenous design turboshaft for helicopter. Call AES100, this should be big step for China on building their own independent supply chain for Helicopters.

Asside for independent market penetration on Civilians Market, this kind of Turboshaft also open China military Helicopters development. Something that so far they still depend toward Foreign Suppliers. The development whether in Turbofan or Turboshaft like this is shown China investment on propulsions, shown they're catching up quite fast. Aero propulsion is still China Achilles heels.