Chilean Navy today

CAMM_Chile

Hola!!

Disculpen si comento en Español pero mi Ingles es malo, espero aprenderlo mas fluido adelante.

Hace un tiempo que estado viendo las capacidades marítimas de Asia-pacifico mas con los desafíos de la Armada de Chile enviando la FF-15 "Almirante Blanco Encalada" con el Grupo de batalla de la U.S Navy que patrullan en la zona, mas la compra de las 2 FFG Adelaide por parte de Chile.

Les dejo fotografia de las nuevas capacidades de las Typo-23 de la Armada de Chile

-Sistema de gestión de combate CMS-330 lockheed martin Canadá
-Misil antiaéreo y antimisiles Sea Ceptor de 25+ km
-Radar AESA TRS-4D HENSOLDT
-Misil antibuque Harpoon Block 2
-Suite -2087 con sonar remolcado
-Sistema de comunicación Link-16/22

!1a134.jpg!1a133.jpg75474193_530188997531082_2918121044281655296_n.png59861473_424547044761945_3649206481871437824_o.jpg

CAMM_Chile

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
FF-05 Almirante Cochrane rumbo a Rimpac 2018, con Suite 2087 en la Popa mas de un helicopteros SH-32 para la lucha ASW/ASUW

57352888_412218212661495_6737694576544317440_n.png

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to DT. Thanks for sharing these lovely pictures and information on Chile’s naval ships.

We look forward to your contributions to the ongoing discussions and please take time to familiarise yourself with the Forum rules.

As we are an international forum, we would appreciate it (when you share), to have at least 2 to 3 sentences in English to aid fellow forum members (See rule 22). If you are unable to write fluent English, a google translate of 2 sentences of text would be appreciated.

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
It's interesting to see the progress of the Chilean Type 23 upgrades. I wasn't aware that Cochrane was back with the navy.

CMS-330, TRS-4D radar, CAMM, Sonar 2087, new data links . . . good stuff. A thoroughly up to date ship!

CAMM_Chile

Chile buys a ship from Larsen & Toubro ocean support

The Chilean Navy will incorporate an Anchor Handling Towing type ocean support vessel
Supply and Stanby Vessel (Ahtssv) acquired from the Indian shipyard Larsen & Toubro Shipbuilding by
worth 11.5 million dollars.
The unit was part of an order for four supply vessels (PSV) and two ships
specialized in towing and anchor handling and positioning (AHTSSV)
Offshore carried out in 2013 by Halul Offshore Services Co. WLL (HOSC) from Qatar to L&T
Shipbuilding
The delivery of the AHTSSV, with an approximate construction value of 20 million dollars
each one was canceled by HOSC in 2016 due to the drop in demand for services from the

oil industry. The two units were completed that year and put up for sale by L&T
Shipbuilding in 2018 in a process that invited shipowners, operators, governments and
Public sector companies.
The acquisition of AHTSSV, which is carried out through the Military Sales modality
Foreigners (FMS) of the United States Department of Defense, will be managed by the
Naval Sea Systems Command (Navsea) and work must be completed in Chennai, India, in
May 2020.
Ship characteristics
The new AHTSSV of the Chilean Navy is 70 meters long, 19 meters wide and a
maximum draft of 6.2 meters. It displaces 2,500 tons and has a traction capacity
static or Bollard Pull of 150 tons. It can transport 38 crew members and 22 passengers.
The vessel is equipped with advanced diesel-hybrid propulsion, has a system of
DP2 dynamic positioning and can fight fires, respond to emergencies, perform
rescue actions, replenish supplies on the high seas and recover oil spilled at sea,
among other tasks. It has capacity for 700 m³ of fuel, 900 m³ of Drill Water, 600 m³ of
fresh water, 700 m³ of HNLS / ORO and four 226 m³ tanks for dry bulk cargo.
The AHTSSV, hull number 71010, has two main 2290 kW MAN engines, two
1600 kW hybrid engines from Siemens and reaches a maximum speed of 13.5 knots.
It has four 1690 ekW MTU generators plus two 850 bow thrusters
kW, two 500 kW stern thrusters and Wärtsillä controllable pitch propellers (CPP).
The deck machinery features a Rolls-Royce waterfall trailer winch
with a nominal traction of 350 tons, two sets of trailer pins SWL Karmoy
225 tons, two sets of 450 tons Karmoy Shark Jaws SWL jaws, one roller
stern for handling anchors of 2.5 x 7 meters Rolls-Royce, two winches of 15 tons
SWL Rolls-Royce and a 5 ton Sormec deck crane.

2eb22f8a9d7415edc5b1feada2c8765eo.jpg

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
@CAMM_Chile We require our posters to provide a source for the material that they post, so a link is required. Also we require the poster to provide at least 2 lines of original text stating their view about what they are posting. Please read the rules.

Ngatimozart.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Chile's replace Jacob Heemsckerck class with Adelaide. Quite interesting since both class came from similar era and both more or less (especially the AAW) relied on similar missile (SM2 MR).

Thus unless there's problem with Dutch originated ships, I'm quite confused why replacing with similar era ships. Unless the Adelaide class intended only as stop gap until Chile's got enough funds for acquired more modern AAW Frigates.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Chile's replace Jacob Heemsckerck class with Adelaide. Quite interesting since both class came from similar era and both more or less (especially the AAW) relied on similar missile (SM2 MR).

Thus unless there's problem with Dutch originated ships, I'm quite confused why replacing with similar era ships. Unless the Adelaide class intended only as stop gap until Chile's got enough funds for acquired more modern AAW Frigates.
The two RAN ships are the last of six, and the only two built in Australia and are 10 years younger than the last of their four sisters.

They also have an 8 cell Mk-41 VLS for ESSM - which is a marked upgrade over a single arm SM2 launcher. on other OHPs. Thirty year old well maintained and probably cheap as chips

oldsig

Redlands18

The 2 RAN FFGs received a major Refit sometime around 2008-10 which included upgrading to the SM-2MR and the fitting of a 8 Cell MK 41 VLS for ESSM. They have a decent size Gun 76mm, the ex Dutch Ships only have 20mm + a 30mm CIWS. The Adelaides can carry 2 Med size Helicopters, the 2 Dutch ships have no Aviation facilities at all and most importantly the ex RAN ships are 6-7 years younger.
I don’t know how much modernisation Chile has been able to put into the Dutch ships but i would doubt that the Chilean Navy would have been able to match the funds that the RAN was able to.

Sorry @Oldsig beat me to it

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
don’t know how much modernisation Chile has been able to put into the Dutch ships but i would doubt that the Chilean Navy would have been able to match the funds that the RAN was able to.
Yes that's also my suspicion, that Chile has not done any major modernisation to both Dutch AAW ships. Thus when both Adelaide's come to market, they see it as good opportunities compared to modernise their Dutch originated ships.

Still I thought Poland that will take both Adelaide's, as this is what being talked before. Not heard Chile's interest on Adelaide's (and frankly speaking I also not suspect since they still have both Jacob Heemsckeck). Must missed that.

Redlands18

Yes that's also my suspicion, that Chile has not done any major modernisation to both Dutch AAW ships. Thus when both Adelaide's come to market, they see it as good opportunities compared to modernise their Dutch originated ships.

Still I thought Poland that will take both Adelaide's, as this is what being talked before. Not heard Chile's interest on Adelaide's (and frankly speaking I also not suspect since they still have both Jacob Heemsckeck). Must missed that.
I suspect that the 2 Adelaides are now in a very different class to the 2 Dutch Ships with the upgrades they have had as well as the Aviation capability they bring.

swerve

Super Moderator

Redlands18

The Chilean navy is looking at building new frigates, rather than buying secondhand. It reckons that maintenance of old, used ships can be expensive. ASMAR at Talcahuano is already building 80 metre OPVs, smaller vessels, & an icebreaker & modernising Type 23s.

Asmar, capacidades industriales al servicio de la Armada de Chile (2) - Noticias Infodefensa América
La Armada de Chile estudia construir en Asmar tres buques de transporte anfibio - Noticias Infodefensa América
Could make the Type 31 attractive, natural progression from the type 23s, type 26 would almost certainly be unaffordable. Could probably do a decent deal on a UK build to follow the RN Ships instead of a local build.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Chilean navy is looking at building new frigates, rather than buying secondhand. It reckons that maintenance of old, used ships can be expensive. ASMAR at Talcahuano is already building 80 metre OPVs, smaller vessels, & an icebreaker & modernising Type 23s.

Asmar, capacidades industriales al servicio de la Armada de Chile (2) - Noticias Infodefensa América
La Armada de Chile estudia construir en Asmar tres buques de transporte anfibio - Noticias Infodefensa América
Most people do not realise that Chile has quite a capable shipyard and it is essentially operated by the Navy. I have been fortunate enough to visit Chile on a couple of occasions and also know one of the retired admirals that ran the yard (though a forum outside the military). The operation of the yard is an arrangement that appears to be unique as far as I can tell in that it bids for work and also supports the Navy.

I expect they would be perfectly capable of building a modern Frigate if the IP and material support was provided.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I have some little knowledge of the Chilean Navy, and was fortunate enough to get a look at one of their Fassmer designed but ASMAR built OPVs while I was in the country late last year. While a lot simpler than a frigate, she had the appearance of a well built and integrated ship. I think they could almost certainly do an incountry build of the T31s with some input from a lead yard if the finances stacked up; not so sure about the T26 - they might need quite a lot more help there.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I have some little knowledge of the Chilean Navy, and was fortunate enough to get a look at one of their Fassmer designed but ASMAR built OPVs while I was in the country late last year. While a lot simpler than a frigate, she had the appearance of a well built and integrated ship. I think they could almost certainly do an incountry build of the T31s with some input from a lead yard if the finances stacked up; not so sure about the T26 - they might need quite a lot more help there.
I had convinced myself that the Fassmer OPV was a dead cert to be chosen for SEA1180.
I see a lot more utility in that design than in the Lurssen offering (it seemed a much “tougher” design) of which I was lucky to see the Brunei OPV when it visited Darwin.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
That was my bet, too, at the time. I wasn't in the project so I have no idea what the discriminators might have been. I also though that Damen missed a trick in offering the 1400 not the 1800. But as we have discussed elsewhere it looks like Australia will end up with a highly competent OPV, as have the Chileans.

swerve

Super Moderator
So far they're talking about something a bit smaller than T31, maybe 130 metres & 5000 tons rather than the 139 metres & 6000 tons of the Type 31, but that doesn't seem an insuperable difference, & the articles I've read are talking about it being maybe 10 years away. That seems compatible with licence-building T31.

Damen has a design which fits what they're talking about, the Crossover 131 Combatant, but it's a purely paper (or CAD) ship so far. Crossover 131 Combatant

Or they could be planning to design their own, presumably with a partner with more experience of this sort of ship.

We'll see.

CAMM_Chile

Ananda said:
Los chilenos reemplazan a la clase Jacob Heemsckerck con Adelaida. Muy interesante ya que ambas clases vinieron de una era similar y ambas más o menos (especialmente la AAW) se basaron en misiles similares (SM2 MR).

Por lo tanto, a menos que haya un problema con los barcos de origen holandés, estoy bastante confundido por qué reemplazarlos con barcos de la época similar. A menos que la clase de Adelaide pretendiera ser solo una brecha hasta que Chile tenga suficientes fondos para adquirir las Fragatas AAW más modernas.
[/CITAR]

Hola

La clase Jacob Heemsckerck se va de Chile, porque tienen turbinas Olympus que ya no tienen soporte este año. Las Fragatas de Adelaida se compraron para mantener viva y bien la Capacidad de AAW Mas La Planta de Energía.

El objetivo es construir las Fragatas en Chile para 2030

Argentina y Brasil todavía operan fragatas con turbinas Olympus, y con la pérdida de apoyo de los fabricantes, la operación de sus barcos es muy complicada.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAMM_Chile

Progreso en la construcción del Rompehielos 1 en la grada ASMAR en Talcahuano, espera que se lance multas de 2022, para la construcción de los bloques de los futuros dispositivos anfibios del proyecto Escotillón IV Fase 1

Rompehielo 1.png
01.png

02.jpg

Construccion nacional.png