Canada Defence Force

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Canada’s finance minister is giving an updated statement on Canada’s COVID costs today. The deficit is predicted to be around $300 billion for this year, ten times the usual appalling annual $30 billion. I guess we need a new word for this year’s deficit. Does anybody doubt there will be huge defence cuts including delays and actual cancellations? Apparently the budget will take care of itself....junior said so!:mad:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Canada’s finance minister is giving an updated statement on Canada’s COVID costs today. The deficit is predicted to be around $300 billion for this year, ten times the usual appalling annual $30 billion. I guess we need a new word for this year’s deficit. Does anybody doubt there will be huge defence cuts including delays and actual cancellations? Apparently the budget will take care of itself....junior said so!:mad:
It depends upon what the government's debt to GDP % and how well they can manoeuvre around that. Also whether or not they have room to be able to increase the government income by such measures as increasing the tax take and what not. Time will tell and like many governments around the world there will be reappraisals of budget priorities.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
As this link points out, Canada’s fiscal situation wasn’t particularly great before COVID when taking into account all of Canada’s obligations. It will be even worse next year and let’s not forget the massive deficit spending by provincial governments. The maneuver room is will be microscopic IMO.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
General Vance will be retiring as CDS. Not surprising since junior didn’t put his name up for the pending NATO appointment. Given some of his decisions during his tenure as CDS, no loss IMO.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
According to this article the new CDS for the Canadian military will likely see defence cut suggestions as the main path towards getting the post. Dark days ahead for the CAF. I expect the RCAF to take the biggest hit.

vonnoobie

According to this article the new CDS for the Canadian military will likely see defence cut suggestions as the main path towards getting the post. Dark days ahead for the CAF. I expect the RCAF to take the biggest hit.
Sorry to Canada sincerely but on a lighter note ADF will be posting job opportunities day after such happens ;)

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Sorry to Canada sincerely but on a lighter note ADF will be posting job opportunities day after such happens ;)
Indeed, the expression our loss your gain comes to mind. The ADF have former CAF members who can no doubt hype the benefits of serving “down under” to potential candidates.

Calculus

Junior’s deficit is $300 billion plus and our dollar is a couple of cents more wrt the USD. Australia would seem to have more financial wiggle room. I wonder how their state government deficits compare with our provinces?
I didn't mean to sound flippant, but all Western countries are facing huge Covid-19 deficits, and I think it is inevitable that the politicians will look at their largest "discretionary" budgets for some savings. Even Australia.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I didn't mean to sound flippant, but all Western countries are facing huge Covid-19 deficits, and I think it is inevitable that the politicians will look at their largest "discretionary" budgets for some savings. Even Australia.
And yet, at the moment, the Australian government is bringing forward Defence related expenditure to help economic recovery by increasing employment. The opposition has so far approved.

Time will tell, but interest rates are at historic lows and make this a lot more attractive.

oldsig.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
And yet, at the moment, the Australian government is bringing forward Defence related expenditure to help economic recovery by increasing employment. The opposition has so far approved.

Time will tell, but interest rates are at historic lows and make this a lot more attractive.

oldsig.
Like I said, Australia seems to have a little more wiggle room financially. Can’t be certain but I have the impression from articles I have read that Australia has a better domestic defence industry (i.e Australian owned) hence a superior economic stimulus. Would be interested in any info regarding state deficits. Our provinces are all posting some ugly projections on their deficits. WRT interest rates, any significant increases would put most Western economies into cardiac shock.

vonnoobie

I wouldn't be too cocky if I were you. The same could be in store for Australia: Australia Deficit Blows Out to $132 Billion, Jobless Peak 9.25%
True but that is only one factor in what is a very complicated economic situation that even on a broad view has dozens of data points and in depth hundreds. In broad terms Australia has a lot more room then most western nations when you take into account debt to GDP with with Australia almost half that of Canada. It's why the CoA is willing to increase defence spending upwards of 40% from original projections over the coming decade, to fast track civil projects and even outside of government got private and listed companies announcing large investments in Australia. Economically speaking Australia has double the growth room statistically then most of the advanced world economies.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yep but Australia is increasing its defence expenditure in real terms will continue to do so. It has a different attitude towards defence than that of Canada or New Zealand.
We're also in the midst of an extremely acrimonious back and forth with China, which has served to get even the less engaged civvy to be more enthusiastic about national defence.

Lest we be accused of doing Trump's bidding, note that Australia banned Huawei months before the USA, and called for an international investigation into Covid while Trump was still expecting it to fizzle out. Running our own race, not doing it for Sam.

oldsig

Calculus

O yee of little faith. :)

The fact that they publicly made this announcement tells me that they have every intention of at least trying to stay the course. If they fail to do so they will get slammed by the opposition parties, and they know this, so if they had no intention of honoring this pledge, they would have been better off simply staying silent on the matter. I also found a similar pronouncement from the deputy Minister of Defence Jody Thomas: ‘Zero indication’ military spending will be cut amid COVID-19, defence official says

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
O yee of little faith. :)

The fact that they publicly made this announcement tells me that they have every intention of at least trying to stay the course. If they fail to do so they will get slammed by the opposition parties, and they know this, so if they had no intention of honoring this pledge, they would have been better off simply staying silent on the matter. I also found a similar pronouncement from the deputy Minister of Defence Jody Thomas: ‘Zero indication’ military spending will be cut amid COVID-19, defence official says
Sajjan and Thomas can say what they think junior promised. If junior perceives the need to get funds for some program that gives him an electoral advantage he won’t hesitate to take it from defence. Opposition parties can jump up and down but let’s face it, the public is more interested in stuff that they want (handouts, new social programs etc.). At the very least, fewer CSCs or fast jets. Hopefully not fewer of both.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Never stand between a pollie and a possible vote. It's more dangerous than facing down a hungry, grumpy salt water Croc who hasn't eaten for a year.