Canada Defence Force

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Another opportunity for our defence procurement experts to shine....just kidding.:mad:

So how did you buy the Brownings in the first place? You must have taken a long time to get past powder and shot muskets and pistols or was that done by the British before they left? Are you sure that Sir Humphrey Appleby is not running the place?

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Likely our first pistols were WW1 surplus LE 303s with the barrels shortened.;) The Brownings were ordered over 70 years ago when the country still took defence seriously. Sir Humphrey would probably be an improvement.

OldTex

Another opportunity for our defence procurement experts to shine....just kidding.:mad:

Canada is not alone in keeping older weapons for use by non-SF units. I qualified on the 9mm Browning Hi-power (Mk3) before deploying the ME in 2016. The RAAF ADGs were using MSPs (go figure).

Terran

Assuming no malarkey this line I think would be a major factor.
The DND was told at the time by industry representatives that it didn’t make economic sense to have Colt manufacture the guns in Canada or to have parts shipped to Colt so the guns could be assembled in Canada.
Since Colt hasn’t had a new pistol since All American 2000 that wasn’t either a 1911 or a captive import. You will probably see Something from the US Small arms market. Top pics being Glock or Sig. those two just came off the US M17 program. Glock 17 is generally the modern standard.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Likely our first pistols were WW1 surplus LE 303s with the barrels shortened.;) The Brownings were ordered over 70 years ago when the country still took defence seriously. Sir Humphrey would probably be an improvement.
Back in 1991 when I qualified on pistols with the RNZN it was the Browning 9 mm which was standard NZDF issue at the time. You could hear the round rattling it's around the barrel on its way out. We reckoned that we would be better throwing the weapon at the enemy / crim but the gunner was emotionally attached to his weapon count. Later on they replaced them with the Sig Sauer from memory. We used them for boardings etc., so I suppose could always club someone into submission with them.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Back in 1991 when I qualified on pistols with the RNZN it was the Browning 9 mm which was standard NZDF issue at the time. You could hear the round rattling it's around the barrel on its way out. We reckoned that we would be better throwing the weapon at the enemy / crim but the gunner was emotionally attached to his weapon count. Later on they replaced them with the Sig Sauer from memory. We used them for boardings etc., so I suppose could always club someone into submission with them.
Hell you were well off, when I did pistol training in the mid 60's we had S&W 38's, the first problem you had was to actually hit something with the damn thing ( the local saying at the time was that the only way you could hit a barn with one was to step inside and close the door before you fired)> Even if you were lucky enough to hit what you were aiming at the chances of doing any damage was very slim.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Hell you were well off, when I did pistol training in the mid 60's we had S&W 38's, the first problem you had was to actually hit something with the damn thing ( the local saying at the time was that the only way you could hit a barn with one was to step inside and close the door before you fired)> Even if you were lucky enough to hit what you were aiming at the chances of doing any damage was very slim.
At least the round found the end of the S/W barrel. Wasn't guaranteed with the 9mm Brownings. Round would run out of energy before it reached the end by the time it rattled its way around on the inside.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Now that Biden apparently will be the next president, I fear this opens the door for junior to entertain defence cuts. This would have been more difficult with a Trump victory (although not impossible). It will be interesting to see Biden’s view on defence efforts by NATO members in general but especially on Canada, a long term deadbeat in many areas.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The UN is hoping for another Mali support mission from Canada. After a multi year sucking up to UN officials by junior, Canada (junior really) failed to win a seat on the UN Security Council. With numerous budgetary problems, a new Mali mission won’t be happening and frankly shouldn’t.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

Vice-Admiral Art McDonald has been named Canada's new Chief of the Defence Staff. I understand there was a general feeling that it was the Navy's turn, but hopefully this is also a sign of support for the Navy's revitalization including carrying on with the CSC without compromise.
Hopefully so wrt to the CSC program. It might be peace overture to the RCN by junior for his disgraceful treatment of Admiral Norman as well.

t68

Just another example of of why junior runs the most incompetent government ever. I didn’t need to spend $250,000 to figure this out either.

The mind boggles sometimes when you read stuff like this happening

swerve

Super Moderator
Just another example of of why junior runs the most incompetent government ever. I didn’t need to spend $250,000 to figure this out either.
Sounds like an administrative decision by civil servants. I'd expect a politician maybe to sign the order to buy X-ray machines, & to approve the budget, but not be involved in technical details after the requirement had been specified. Unless some politician has ignored advice on security when the requirements were set, I'd be asking who advised the politicians, & who drew up the requirements.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yep, it would carry both political and diplomatic risks that can't be ignored. The fact that such a story is doing the rounds is significant enough. It wouldn't worry the likes of the French or Italians, nnor probably even the Greeks, but other NATO members are a bit more prudish. Plus there is also the possible security risk as well.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Yet another report on China’s efforts to screw with Canada. Perhaps junior can pull his head out of his sun-shine starved orifice and take measures to counter this threat.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

Attachments