Calling any USAF members (or recently discharged) for general info

warthog2

I have a relative interested in joining...I'm retired, so I can give some, but I retired 10 yrs ago, so wondering how much it's different in different ways now vs then, like

- How does applying for enlistment go...in my day, you took the ASVAB (similar to SAT) test and answered some general questions about yourself to determine general eligibility and esp what jobs you qualified for
- What's a typical overseas and/or stateside tour length? In my day, overseas varied from 2 to 3 or 4 yrs depending on where you went. Stateside could be longer, but in general as I recall it was 4 yrs ish give or take for most
- Are EPRs and promotion processes similar...I recall EPRs went from a 0-9 scale to a 1-4 scale I think, and promotion was based largely on two tests you took, one about job knowledge and one for general AF knowledge, plus points for your EPRs, medals, etc

Anyone who's been in a long time and has any other general observations about how it seems to have changed recently (repeat, recently...I don't care how it changed from for ex. from 1960 to 1980 because it's irrelevant to my relative's possible joining) also appreciated!

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This is an international forum and is not US centric. I would suggest that you talk to USAF recruiters etc.

warthog2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I never assumed it was "US centric," but I would think "international" would include the US. Excuse the hell out of me. And feel free to delete my account as I won't be back to a place moderated by assholes.

Mod edit: Member Banned at own request. For the membership at large, the Forum Rules aren't suggestions. If one feels the need to respond with abuse to another's post, particularly when it's both factual and a suggestion, then DefenceTalk might not be the appropriate venue for that poster.
-Preceptor

Last edited by a moderator:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I never assumed it was "US centric," but I would think "international" would include the US. Excuse the hell out of me. And feel free to delete my account as I won't be back to a place moderated by assholes.
No need to get your panties into a twist. I posted a statement of fact.