British Army News and Discussion

Big_Zucchini

Love how they sneak the "we want to cut conventional capabilities even more" part so elegantly.
Meanwhile, they throw empty words like:
Integrated - 4 times.
Technology - 14 times.
Capability - 7 times.

It's amazing how such a long article can be so devoid of content.
Not a single new piece of info was given except "we'll probably cut even more tanks".

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Love how they sneak the "we want to cut conventional capabilities even more" part so elegantly.
Meanwhile, they throw empty words like:
Integrated - 4 times.
Technology - 14 times.
Capability - 7 times.

It's amazing how such a long article can be so devoid of content.
Not a single new piece of info was given except "we'll probably cut even more tanks".
I believe that they intend to reintroduce the Longbow as the main battle weapon along with the armoured knight on a trusty steed.

Big_Zucchini

His service does make him biased towards tradition. We have that in Israel, where soldiers from corp-oriented brigades with rich combat history and decorations are lobbying against the switch to BCTs that would basically create whole new brigades and dismantle old ones.

But it could be useful to look at things more positively now.
I advocate for a 5-division ground army structure with 3 deployable ones (if we discard rotations), but the core capabilities the UK wants to advance as a key NATO member exist and are only improving. In the meantime its allies should cover it where it's weak.
Hopefully by 2030 we'll see some critical mass of modern AFVs.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Write up in the UK Defence Journal about the Brit Army acquisition procurements. It uses the term shambolic. The author spent 20 years in the Royal Tank Regiment.

It's quite reasonable - the FRES debacle which went on for decades without delivering a single vehicle was probably swamped by rapidly evolving shifts in requirements due to the ME experiences for instance. However, to find ourselves finally buying Boxer after pulling out of the program ten years earlier is discouraging.

Not that I'm suggesting Boxer was or is a bad choice - just that it should have been executed much earlier.