Boeing Unveils New Stealthy F-15

Juramentado

With that massive F-15SA deal... I would bet more and more states will try to buy the F-15SE or Super Hornets. I'm still stumped on those 2,000-lb bombs, HARMs and Harpoons. Can the latter be configured for ground attack vs maritime attack?
Yes, the land attack version of the Harpoon is called SLAM (Standoff Land Attack Missile) - uses the Maverick IIR seeker head. Technically dual-purpose so you have the discretion of attacking marine and shore targets.

Kalasag

Even stranger news that Kuwait has expressed an interest in becoming one of the first operators of the Boeing F-15SE Silent Eagle, according to Jane's Defense Weekly. Currently, the emirate has no F-15s in its combat aircraft inventory, which consists of two squadrons of Boeing F/A-18C/D Hornets, a total of 39 aircraft (see link here and here).
I was thinking, if sales to Israel and SA got blocked, there's no way Kuwait would operate the Silent Eagle. Everyone's waiting on Obama to finish his term. And also, another bad blow for the Rafale again.

fretburner

Banned Member
I was thinking, if sales to Israel and SA got blocked, there's no way Kuwait would operate the Silent Eagle. Everyone's waiting on Obama to finish his term. And also, another bad blow for the Rafale again.
The F-15SA is pushing through right? The US "gave" Israel 20 F-35s to appease them.

Edit: I think I misread you. Did you mean the sale of F-15SE to Israel?

Media Buff

Australia F-35 Options

ASPI scholar Carl Ungerer has said that an advanced maritime air superiority version of the F-15 would be an option for Australia so this is interesting ...

Boeing unveils a new stealthy F-15:

To a non-expert like me, this looks like an interesting concept -- not as a competitor to F-35, but perhaps as an interesting alternative to those countries that for some reason or another cannot or will not purchase the F-35, but still would like a "stealth jet" in the inventory.

Would the Eurocanards be able to do something similar? I believe CFTs have been studied for the Eurofighter, but the drawings I've seen indicated CFTs on top of the wings... probably not where you would like to put your missiles!

So what do the experts think of this idea from Boeing? Is this just a desperate attempt to prolong the life of the F-15, or is this a good idea?

V

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
ASPI scholar Carl Ungerer has said that an advanced maritime air superiority version of the F-15 would be an option for Australia so this is interesting ...
Er, no. F-15 has been looked at multiple times, but we've decided against it. Why do you think that might be?

Also what's with all the ASPI love? Personally I find most of what they write and release publicly so fundamentally obvious (and basic)I can't quite understand how they manage to convince anyone to pay them to write it.

Certainly their budget negotiation skills, far outweighs their insight into Defence matters, if what they release is any sort of indication....

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Also what's with all the ASPI love? Personally I find most of what they write and release publicly so fundamentally obvious (and basic)I can't quite understand how they manage to convince anyone to pay them to write it.

Certainly their budget negotiation skills, far outweighs their insight into Defence matters, if what they release is any sort of indication....
why we continue to subsidise some of the cretinous comments that come out of this shop is beyond me.

if they want to be a serious think tank then go and get commercial funding and see how many in industry think how credible they are.

they're almost as bad as white and stretton

tongan_yam

Er, no. F-15 has been looked at multiple times, but we've decided against it. Why do you think that might be?
Out of interest ADMk2, could you explain why the ADF deemed the F-15E not suitable - was this in reference to the F-35 buy or the SH?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

fretburner

Banned Member
US Air Force looks to dramatically extend F-15 service life

"... Boeing's tests will determine if the service life of the F-15C/D can be extended from 9,000h to 18,000h, Jones said. The service life of the F-15E was originally set at 8,000h but could potentially be raised to 32,000h after the tests are complete...

The USAF is also considering a significant capability upgrade for the entire F-15 fleet. The aircraft now rely on three ageing systems for self-defence - the ALR-56C radar warning receiver, ALQ-135 jammer and ALE-45 countermeasures dispenser. On 20 November, the USAF issued a "sources sought" notice for a digital electronic warfare system..."

That's quite an upgrade...still NO Silent Eagles though...

So I guess for as long as China doesn't build 200 J-20's or Russia and India build 200 T-50s... then the USAF can still deal with any and all threats.

F-15s with AESA and this EPAWSS with AIM-120Ds and AIM-9Xs would still be be able to match J-10s and SU-30/35s :)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
So I guess for as long as China doesn't build 200 J-20's or Russia and India build 200 T-50s... then the USAF can still deal with any and all threats.
It doesn't matter even if they do.

capability is not about an uberjet - its about system capability.

china and india are a golden mile away from the systems level of capability

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Out of interest ADMk2, could you explain why the ADF deemed the F-15E not suitable - was this in reference to the F-35 buy or the SH?

Cheers
Sorry for the slow reply, only just saw this.

ADF first looked at F-15 when they were looking to replace the Miracle (Mirage III).

It was deemed too expensive and didn't offer the range of capabilities we required from our only fighter (not a pound for air to ground and all that).

Again when F-111 was replaced RAAF looked at Super Hornet and F-15E. Super Hornet was cheaper, available more quickly (USN production slots were offered to us to allow us to get the capability in-service quicker) more relevant to our training system (existing Hornet pilots only need 4 flights to convert to Super Hornet for instance) met our capability requirements and offered us access to some JSF-like technologies (AESA radar, LO tech) and maintenance situations (additional security requirements for aircraft due to LO tech, operational maintenance of LO tech etc) that weren't available (at that time) on the F-15E.

As the Super Hornet was meant only as an interim fighter (described as bridging by RAAF) the additional capability of the F-15E series wasn't worth the extra cost. We're getting our additional capability via JSF. No need to spend at least $30m more per aircraft when the Super Hornet meets our requirements anyway...

t68

Sorry for the slow reply, only just saw this.

ADF first looked at F-15 when they were looking to replace the Miracle (Mirage III).

It was deemed too expensive and didn't offer the range of capabilities we required from our only fighter (not a pound for air to ground and all that).

Again when F-111 was replaced RAAF looked at Super Hornet and F-15E. Super Hornet was cheaper, available more quickly (USN production slots were offered to us to allow us to get the capability in-service quicker) more relevant to our training system (existing Hornet pilots only need 4 flights to convert to Super Hornet for instance) met our capability requirements and offered us access to some JSF-like technologies (AESA radar, LO tech) and maintenance situations (additional security requirements for aircraft due to LO tech, operational maintenance of LO tech etc) that weren't available (at that time) on the F-15E.

As the Super Hornet was meant only as an interim fighter (described as bridging by RAAF) the additional capability of the F-15E series wasn't worth the extra cost. We're getting our additional capability via JSF. No need to spend at least $30m more per aircraft when the Super Hornet meets our requirements anyway...
So if by some strange reason the F35 fell over completely, would you say that a split force of F15 and F18 would be in oz best interest or would the F18 SH meet all the needs of the RAAF?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
So if by some strange reason the F35 fell over completely, would you say that a split force of F15 and F18 would be in oz best interest or would the F18 SH meet all the needs of the RAAF?
There would be no point in splitting the fleet to Shornet and Eagles

1) JSF is not going to fall over completely, not even remotely close. None of the partners have talked about cancelling, if anything some have indicated deferral

2) why bring in another manned asset thats a logistics orphan where we are 10-12 years out from unmanned support squadrons. Thats not a journo prediction either, its appearing in planning docs now

SHornet is an interim, and will do the job on any if any deferral.

Ignore the ridiculous hysteria you see in newspapers and forums, where it counts is in Govt plans and the future force planners, and they want JSF

in fact some programs are already planning and actively building future capability around JSF intro

t68

There would be no point in splitting the fleet to Shornet and Eagles

1) JSF is not going to fall over completely, not even remotely close. None of the partners have talked about cancelling, if anything some have indicated deferral

2) why bring in another manned asset thats a logistics orphan where we are 10-12 years out from unmanned support squadrons. Thats not a journo prediction either, its appearing in planning docs now

SHornet is an interim, and will do the job on any if any deferral.

Ignore the ridiculous hysteria you see in newspapers and forums, where it counts is in Govt plans and the future force planners, and they want JSF

in fact some programs are already planning and actively building future capability around JSF intro

It was just a hypothetical, what would be the best solution for RAAF.

I didn’t think that unmanned solutions would be maturing so soon.isnt there some sort of complication from taking the man out of the equation as in eyes in the cockpit verifying target and so forth.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Yep, understood that but the reality issue has to prevail

I didn’t think that unmanned solutions would be maturing so soon.isnt there some sort of complication from taking the man out of the equation as in eyes in the cockpit verifying target and so forth.
RAAF already has a project element where the platform will manage UAV's as networked prosecutors. 2017-2018

UAV's are already identfied and we know what they're going to be working with - its just not public. ie we know the UAV and the platform companioned to it.

ie a managed companion asset able to be steered to a target and then tasked to release weapons on said target.

The above is not from the theoretical displayed at Avalon in 2009, its now built into some projects.

Last edited:

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I wouldn't think so, no. RAAF is keen on a single type in the long term, so I suspect that in the unlikely event that F-35 completely falls over, RAAF will look at it's various options with the Super Hornet the obvious choice.

With Growler and various Shornet International upgrade options such an idea will have some legs if it becomes impossible to acquire JSF.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro

“Not a pound for air to ground” was just a slogan. The F-15A has quite impressive air to ground capability. It was a more accurate bomb platform than dedicated bombers like the F-111 and A-7. This was why the Israelis brought the aircraft. The ‘no air to ground’ thing was just fighter mafia spin.

What the F-15C as pitched to the RAAF lacked was integration with LGBs and Harpoon which the F/A-18 had thanks to the USN. McAir had developed a full swing role capability F-15, it later became the F-15E, but the additional cost of the F-15 compared to the F/A-18 was prohibitive. Also the F/A-18 had a more advanced cockpit which like the F-35 today had everyone rightly excited back in the late 1970s and early 80s.

That the RAAF was happy to buy the F/A-18 over the F-15 shows just how unimportant the F-15s edge in supersonic speed and un-refuelled radius is to the RAAF. The same issues apply today despite all the internet babble about drawing radius circles around Darwin and Uber-Flankers and the like.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
All Super Hornet. You'd be crazy to introduce a second platform for some marginal physical performance gains and a significant set back in mission systems. Might as well dig up the F-111s and hand them over to APA to do their mods than introduce a second strike fighter type.