Bangladesh navy Discussion and Updates

T.C.P

BNS 'Dhaleshwari' the newly commisioned OPV arrives at the port of Colombo on a goodwill visit.
http://www.navy.lk | “BNS Dhaleshwari†arrives at Port of Colombo

The castle class OPVs have been classified as FSG(guided missile corvette)-NATO designation. THe Castle class has been stripped of all their old armaments except for 2-4 oerlikon 20mm machine guns for self defence.
My sources tell me that they are going to be armed with C-703 AShM and FL-2000 SAMs, and a 76mm Oto Breda dual purpose MG.

The castle class make up the nucleus of the '10 FSG squadron', the Bangladeshi navy's first guided missile corvette squadron.

Would some of the 4 T22 currently up for disposal from the RN be suitable, or alternatively the OPV Trindad & Tobago have asked to be sold. The T22 might be a lot cheaper?

T.C.P

Would some of the 4 T22 currently up for disposal from the RN be suitable, or alternatively the OPV Trindad & Tobago have asked to be sold. The T22 might be a lot cheaper?
BD already ordered two F-22Bs from China. The BN needs to replace 3 old British frigates and wants two raise further frigate sq. Apart from the 2 F-22Bs that have been ordered the BN is looking for more frigates, they have shown interest in the south Korean Ulsan class. Note the BN already operates 1 Ulsan class guided missile frigate the 'BNS Bangabandhu'. The Ulsan class has been quite popular for the navy and probably they are going to look more into it.
http://www.bdmilitary.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=331&Itemid=118

As for OPVs we are building the indigenous Khulna class OPVs, I posted a link in my earlier posts.

Yes, a used Type 22 will be cheaper to buy. On the other hand a brand new light frigate/corvette/OPV will be less expensive to operate and last twenty years longer...
True, I bet the gas turbines will be the issue, expensive and complex to maintain. Agreed the OPV would be a better bet but I suspect a lot more expensive 3-4 times. Manpower will be cheap so the heaver crew will not be to much. Mind a twin helicopter hanger capability is going to be much more useful.

T.C.P

The castle class was bought because they had a flght deck, it was the main reason the BN was so interested in it. One has to consider the Chinese effect here, any major ship procurement, like Frigates and destroyers will probably come from China or will be modernized with Chinese weaponry. ( the castle class are two have Chinese C-703 SSMs).
The Bn isn't interested in any British frigates, its either going to order more F-22Bs or the Ulsan.
As for corvettes, there was a lot of talk about the Milgem class, and BD might just order it in 2015, ones its more matured.
Turkey and South Korea have become big players in the growing defence market in BD. Bangladeshi navy crews have received extensive training on =board Turkish Type-209s and the Bn are likely to procure second hand Type-209s from Tukey.

swerve

Super Moderator
Yes, a used Type 22 will be cheaper to buy. On the other hand a brand new light frigate/corvette/OPV will be less expensive to operate and last twenty years longer...
Yes. A new diesel-engined ship of a third the size & crew would cost maybe a quarter as much per year, & as you say, last longer.

The Nakhoda Ragams have a flight deck, but no hangar. OK for local waters. The were reported to have been sold to Algeria, but the lack of any movement in the two years after that, with only skeleton maintenance crews seen aboard them, suggests that was a false report.

I imagine that Brunei would accept substantially less than it paid for them, but yes, they'd be more expensive than 20 year old T22s.

T.C.P

Yes. A new diesel-engined ship of a third the size & crew would cost maybe a quarter as much per year, & as you say, last longer.

The Nakhoda Ragams have a flight deck, but no hangar. OK for local waters. The were reported to have been sold to Algeria, but the lack of any movement in the two years after that, with only skeleton maintenance crews seen aboard them, suggests that was a false report.

I imagine that Brunei would accept substantially less than it paid for them, but yes, they'd be more expensive than 20 year old T22s.
The Bn has shown no interest on the Nakhoda Ragamss, as far as I know.

T.C.P

According to Xinhui there were reports of a Type 039 S20Song class submarine sale to Bangladesh Navy under way. We could procure refurbished Song class subs once the sub base infrastrucutre is complete.

T.C.P

T.C.P

The two AW-109 helicopters ordered by the BN have entered service, they were assembled in Dhaka.

T.C.P

It has been known for some time that the BN is highly interested in procuring D0-228 NG to serve as MPAs there might be a deal on them soon.