Aussie Bushfires.

hauritz

I actually just arrived back to Australia after spending the last 4 weeks in Europe. With the television coverage overseas I was expecting to see the country a burnt out ruin when I got back home. Naturally, I was greeted with torrential rain on my return.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Last edited:

pgclift

Honoured and Proud to share a photo from defence media showing two Cat1 Rural Fire Service Tankers on HMAS Canberra in Sydney Harbour today as part of recognising firefighters on Australia Day. Especially those that have very sadly perished fighting the blazes.

https://images.defence.gov.au/assets/archives/5003-All-Defence-Imagery/

The tankers are both from the Sutherland Shire with the front tanker from Heathcote RFB and the other is from my brigade in Engadine NSW where I am a volunteer firefighter.

We have so far been lucky there have been just a few fires in the Sutherland Shire so all Sutherland RFS units have been heavily engaged far from our area of responsibility in support of local RFS brigades.

t68

P
Honoured and Proud to share a photo from defence media showing two Cat1 Rural Fire Service Tankers on HMAS Canberra in Sydney Harbour today as part of recognising firefighters on Australia Day. Especially those that have very sadly perished fighting the blazes.

The tankers are both from the Sutherland Shire with the front tanker from Heathcote RFB and the other is from my brigade in Engadine NSW where I am a volunteer firefighter.

We have so far been lucky there have been just a few fires in the Sutherland Shire so all Sutherland RFS units have been heavily engaged far from our area of responsibility in support of local RFS brigades.

Well done mate

Unfortunately I can’t get your link to work

pgclift

Sorry about that. It's not working for me either, so I'll try again. If that doesn't work I've also included a path that hopefully takes you to the picture of the trucks and lots of other photos.

Google - Department of Defence - Click News & Media - Scroll Down the Homepage to Image Gallery - Click on All Defence Imagery.

If someone wiser than me could help out with the link I would be very grateful.

Thanks Phillip

MOD EDIT: This appears to work. NG.

https://images.defence.gov.au/fotow...6ran8562953_269.t5e2d1ec7.m1200.xNto3OEVi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hauritz

I find myself wondering what the best strategy would be for preventing future disasters of this scale. While I clearly am no expert in this matter one thing I have gleaned is that the most serious fires are the ones that start in remote areas. Fires that are started in accessible areas are often dealt with fairly quickly.

I wonder if some military expertise could not be bought into play to allow these sorts of remote fires to be detected, and dealt with before they became too big. Using UAVs with sensitive heat detection equipment permanently operating over remote areas during peak bushfire season, and some method for rapidly deploying personnel to fight spot fires as soon as they are detected doesn't sound like an insurmountable problem to me.

Last edited:

pussertas

I wonder if some military expertise could not be bought into play to allow these sorts of remote fires to be detected, and dealt with before they became too big. Using UAVs with sensitive heat detection equipment permanently operating over remote areas during peak bushfire season, and some method for rapidly deploying personnel to fight spot fires as soon as they are detected doesn't sound like an insurmountable problem to me.[/QUOTE]

Totally Agree. A firm in the USA has developed a water tank for C130 Hercules.

MAFFS :: Home

Redlands18

Just spent 4 days in an area effected by the Bushfires in Sept-Oct and they have had some quite reasonable rain over the last month and its amazing how quickly it has greened up, trees with blackened trunks still alive and healthy and growing leaves.

seaspear

Should any consideration be given that in a likelihood of evacuating people from coastal areas again occuring , more piers and wharves are built that would provide access and egress for many of the different types of vessels that have been discussed here

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Should any consideration be given that in a likelihood of evacuating people from coastal areas again occuring , more piers and wharves are built that would provide access and egress for many of the different types of vessels that have been discussed here
I think that would have to be covered in any enquiry that occurs after this bushfire season. Certainly something worth looking at but a business case would have to be developed for it.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I think that would have to be covered in any enquiry that occurs after this bushfire season. Certainly something worth looking at but a business case would have to be developed for it.
Indeed, and that business case would also need to consider not only the costs associated with building more piers and wharves, but also the costs to then maintain them as well as utilize them when needed. In a number of respects, if the facilities are not kept in a usable condition, then they could end up causing more problems in an emergency than if they had never been built.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Canada deploys CC-177 to help Australia - Skies Mag

it would appear the Canadians are bringing the 3 Sqn NH90's back. What happened to Canterbury I thought this sort of task would have been ideal for her.
Ah that is holy writ that Canterbury will transport them. There is no requirement for air transport of them, so sayeth the Supreme Leaders who are omnipotent and upon whom all knowledge and wisdom is bestowed. What peredious, grossly evil infidel has come up with such heresy that they have to be transported to / from Australia by RAAF / RCAF C-17? Burn them at the stake for such brazen heresy.:D

seaspear

These ar some interesting articles suggesting not only long term lung damage to the recipients of smoke but also suggests that this will be passed on to the children

As California burned, scientists noticed something disturbing about these monkeys
Smoke from Wildfires Has Long Term Health Effects

Although the occupational hazards of firefighters are broadly known it has not been suggested before that effects of the hazards of their occupation will be passed onto their children much as cigarrette smoking has been shown to effect genetics
Cigarette Smoke Alters DNA In Sperm, Genetic Damage Could Pass To Offspring

It is worth noting that many of the volunteer firefighters are not warned protected or compensated in their activities, the true cost in lives effected by these fires may not be known and only guessed at

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
These ar some interesting articles suggesting not only long term lung damage to the recipients of smoke but also suggests that this will be passed on to the children

As California burned, scientists noticed something disturbing about these monkeys
Smoke from Wildfires Has Long Term Health Effects

Although the occupational hazards of firefighters are broadly known it has not been suggested before that effects of the hazards of their occupation will be passed onto their children much as cigarrette smoking has been shown to effect genetics
Cigarette Smoke Alters DNA In Sperm, Genetic Damage Could Pass To Offspring

It is worth noting that many of the volunteer firefighters are not warned protected or compensated in their activities, the true cost in lives effected by these fires may not be known and only guessed at
Yep doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Been smelling the smoke here the last couple of nights South Island covered in smoke from Australia's bushfires, and we'll be getting some more soon More smoke from Australia's fires will blanket New Zealand. Also carbon monoxide from the fires has been detected at ground level here. 'Unprecedented' spike in carbon monoxide over New Zealand linked to Australia bushfires.

At lakes

Yep doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Been smelling the smoke here the last couple of nights South Island covered in smoke from Australia's bushfires, and we'll be getting some more soon More smoke from Australia's fires will blanket New Zealand. Also carbon monoxide from the fires has been detected at ground level here. 'Unprecedented' spike in carbon monoxide over New Zealand linked to Australia bushfires.
Well we are now generating some more smoke for you. A large fire has started about 40kms up the coast from my location and is burning at what the brigade call an emergency level. Its moving in a south easterly direction. We have also had major dust storms here in Victoria and there is a belt of heavy rain expected through in about six or seven hours. So with the combination of the dust storms and the rain the expectation is it will probably rain mud here, or we could save it and send it your way.