US Army or US Marines

• Army

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Marines

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spetsznaz

TV land mostly. There was a time, many decades ago when a judge would offer a delinquint the opportunity to join the military in lieu of going to jail but that was during the draft, and fairly uncommon. This was offered to petty criminals only. Feanor is correct, the only way into the US military is by volunteering and a minor criminal record will keep you out.
How much of a messed up criminal record are we talking here, like if you grand theft auto charge, will the army take you?

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
How much of a messed up criminal record are we talking here, like if you grand theft auto charge, will the army take you?
To be clear, we are talking about the Vietnam era, 1960's. The how much I have no clue, as I understand it the "crimes" we are talking about are petty ie shoplifting, breaking into vending machines, that sort of thing.

riksavage

Banned Member
Depends on where you want to end-up? If you are determined to go for an SF role then it has to be Army - you have the option of transferring to the Rangers, Special Forces then maybe Delta subject to a successful selection pass. If you join the USMC you are restricted to Marine Recon unless you transfer to the USN and opt for SEAL Team BUDS. Whilst the USMC has a great esprit de corp I would opt for the Army - more options.

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
I heard bad things about the Naval Academy from my Series Commander in boot. He said the best option was either ECP, or just going to college for 4 years and then doing OCS. At the Naval Academy there's no guarantee you'll end up in the Corps.
And here I was thinking you were Russian. :confused:

As i'm not from the US I choose none of the above. I'd probably join the RAN.

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
I am Russian. But I live in the states. ;)
Fair enough.

So why the Navy?
Err, join the navy and see the world? :D

Navy Reserve not really an option anyway, since I have no intention of moving any closer to Sydney then I am right now and plan on moving further away as soon as I finish my post grad studies.

Not planning on joining the military, maybe i'd change my mind if it looked like the country needed everyone they could get, but not as of now. Wont discuss further here, maybe on PM if you would like. ;)

sgtgunn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I'm a recruiting NCO so let me jump in here!

The US Armed Forces have been all volunteer since the suspension of conscription in the Mid 70's (though males are still required to register when they turn 18).

Each branch of service (Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, Air Force) sets its own enlistment standards (with the exception of medical standards which are shared) age, aptitude, moral, etc.

Currently the Army is not considering any applicants with any felony charges on their record. We can enlist applicants with 1 or 2 misdemeanors (more than 1 requires a waiver), though certain crimes are non-waiverable. Certain positions require either secret or top secret security clearances, and for those positions you need a pretty spotless record (to include credit history).

Things that will prevent you from enlisting: any felony, any domestic violence charge, any sex crime, and drug charge other than simple possession of marijuana, more than 3 misdemeanors of any kind, more than 1 charge of driving while intoxicated, etc.

The days of a Judge telling someone "go to war or go to jail" are over.

The Army did a study a few years ago which concluded of the "target demographic" (males 17-25) only ~30% of Americans were eligible to enlist based on medical, education, moral and aptitude standards.

SSG Gunn

Warwiz

if you were drafted into the us military, which would you join?
i plan to join the marines so i would go into the marines

Army
-Meant for Occupation, guarding etc( except for rangers and SF)
-Better equipment
- quicker promotions
- Better SF

Marines
- does most of the big engagements aginst the enemy
- better training, smaller which means has a deeper pool of combat hardened nco's and officers
- Takes a long time to get promoted
============================================

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!"
General Pershing US Army General

An official German report classified the Marines as "vigorous, self-confident, and remarkable marksmen...",Battle of Belleau Wood

Warwiz

I'm a recruiting NCO so let me jump in here!

The US Armed Forces have been all volunteer since the suspension of conscription in the Mid 70's (though males are still required to register when they turn 18).

Each branch of service (Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, Air Force) sets its own enlistment standards (with the exception of medical standards which are shared) age, aptitude, moral, etc.

Currently the Army is not considering any applicants with any felony charges on their record. We can enlist applicants with 1 or 2 misdemeanors (more than 1 requires a waiver), though certain crimes are non-waiverable. Certain positions require either secret or top secret security clearances, and for those positions you need a pretty spotless record (to include credit history).

Things that will prevent you from enlisting: any felony, any domestic violence charge, any sex crime, and drug charge other than simple possession of marijuana, more than 3 misdemeanors of any kind, more than 1 charge of driving while intoxicated, etc.

The days of a Judge telling someone "go to war or go to jail" are over.

The Army did a study a few years ago which concluded of the "target demographic" (males 17-25) only ~30% of Americans were eligible to enlist based on medical, education, moral and aptitude standards.

SSG Gunn
=====================================
When I was in the Marines you had to have a High School diploma or else they will not accept you, but to join the Army you did not need one.

When I asked my recruiter as to why, he told me because the Marines see you as a person who quit if you drop out of High school. This was back in the mid 80s; I’m not sure about now.

Also, if you join the Marines and later on decide to join the Army, you get to keep the rank you had as a Marine, and never have to go through army boot camp, but if you are in the Army or Navy and later on decide to join the Marines, you have to go through Marine Corps boot camp, and you lose the rank you had in the Army……………….This is what I was told back in the 80’s, I’m not sure about the year 2010.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah that's interesting. If you're a Marine, and your enlistment ends, and you re-enlist in the army, do they really let you keep pay grade, and not send you through basic?

Warwiz

Yeah that's interesting. If you're a Marine, and your enlistment ends, and you re-enlist in the army, do they really let you keep pay grade, and not send you through basic?
==================================

Well, when I was in the Marines, I had a friend who joined the Army after his enlistment ended and kept his rank, which was Corporal at the time. He told me that he just had to go to some orientation class; I can’t recall how long that was.
Also when I went through Boot camp there were a couple of former Sailors with us, and they lose their pay grade. This was like over 20 years ago; I’m not sure what the policies are now.
Remember Marine Corp Boot camp is 13 weeks long as to compare with Army boot camp which is 8 weeks long. The Marines are trained to do everything the army does and some. All Marines are trained as basic rifle men.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Last I knew, Marines that transferred to the Army did not go to basic training but that's also somewhat misleading and not as quite as it sounds in some cases.

There are really 2 types of BCT/AIT in the Army and this is what creates the illusion that the Army BCT is only 8 weeks long versus the Marine Corps (is it 13 weeks?).

For the Army, certain MOS's have BCT and AIT as 2 very distinct and seperate phases. Of these, some AIT courses are very easy in comparison to others ie clerks, cooks etc. In these cases no question Marine Boot is much tougher not only by the standards applied but also due to the length of the training cycle.

For Infantry, Tankers, Cav Scout etc BCT and AIT are combined into what's called OSUT (One Station Unit Training) which is one seamless training cycle. Infantry is 16 weeks long IIRC, and they don't take it easy on you after week 8 and there is no perceived difference in how you are treated from week 1 to week 16. I'm sure an Army grunt and a Marine could argue about this all day but in reallity I don't think one is particularly tougher than the other to get through. The Marines are wise to make all comers go through their boot camp, it helps maintain the esprit de corps and eliminates anyone from becoming a Marine "the easy way".

A Marine is still going to have to reclass in an MOS which means they still need to go to AIT which these days, is just another iteration of basic/boot but if a guy has made it through an enlistment already this isn't going to be that big of a deal.

I've served with a number of ex-Marines and quite honestly, they weren't any better or different than Army guys. My experience has been a lot more Marines go Army, than the other way around. I believe this is due entirely to better career opportunities that the Army offers.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
My opinion...
In 1986, I did an exercise called pacific bond. We were billeted with the 25th infantry in Hawaii for about 6 weeks.
I found the entire experience a huge eye opener. we did exercises with both marines (inf) and army, air assault. The logistics of the US Army has to be seen to be believed, incredible. Thats why IMO, they are better than the marines.
as far as individual training and small unit tactics are concerned, The marines won hands down, i think they were the better soldier than the US Army. Having said that, i think that the Aussie grunt was better trained than both US infantry and marine. 5 of our guys did the US Army ranger indoctronation course (think thats what it was called) and we won the first 4 places, a British army Ghurka came 5th and another Aussie 6th.
I may be a bit biased, but I dont think so.
having said that, the US Army's tactics were a lot different to ours. we came under sniper fire on one ex, I was our gunner, and we layed down surpressing fire while an assault group tried to take out the sniper from a flank.
The US Army LT observer suggested an artillery strike or Air strike. If we had done the same, our superiors would have laughed us out of the ex....we just dont have the logistic luxury to call in ARTY or Air for a lone sniper.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a difference in resource allocated to the service branch. So, old faithful, if you don't mind be asking, are you still in the Corps?

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
That's a difference in resource allocated to the service branch. So, old faithful, if you don't mind be asking, are you still in the Corps?
Neither I think. I think he was or is in the Australian Army based on what he was saying and on some posts in his profile. ;)

Warwiz

What is in a name?

Anyone ever saw the episode of Family Guy were Peter's wife saids something like this.

"Army sharmey, now the Marines, they're the ones you want to F-word."

There something special about being call a Marine. The Few the Proud.

Warwiz

I'm not sure on how to insert a U-Tube video, but here is the link for the family guy episode with Loris comments on the Marines,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d-v2XDpLAo]YouTube - Army Vs. Marines[/ame]